II. Last Spring
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She stood in front of the bathroom mirror, staring at her own reflection, thoughts speeding through her head. She adjusted the bow in her hair for the hundredth time and exhaled slowly, but she couldn't seem to shake the nerves. There was a knock on the door and a familiar voice called out her name. 

 

"Are you almost done? Mom wanted me to get you out of there." She hesitated for a moment, then opened the door for him. Her brother stood in the doorway, hands in his sweater pockets. 

 

She was frank with him, like she'd always been. "I don't want to go," she whispered. He didn't say anything, so she continued. "I'm so nervous, I think I'm going to be sick. Maybe I am sick, I don't know. And if I go, I'm going to mess up my solo, and that will make things worse for me in class tomorrow, and--" Her words caught in her mouth, and she choked back a small sob. Immediately, she ran forward and wrapped her arms around her brother, who responded with a hug of his own. "I can't do it. I can't do it."

 

Her brother held her as she cried. "I know why you're nervous. It's really sweet, but you don't have to worry about me. You know I'm fine now; the doc said it's gone."

 

"But what if it comes back? I can't be strong for you if it comes back." She looked up at him after wiping her eyes on his sweater. 

 

He let go of her and held onto her shoulders. "You don't need to be strong for me; you need to start seeing the strength I see in you. You’re kind, you’re determined, you’re creative. These are just some of your strengths. It's in you, I've seen it time and time again." He chuckled lightly. "Remember how you got the ending of my song down perfect on just your second try?"

 

Despite the pit of despair she was trying to wallow in, she smiled at the resurging memory. She let out a sigh. "I wish I could play your song at the concert," she said wistfully. 

 

Her brother stepped back and leaned against the doorframe, sticking his hands in his pockets once again. “You say you want to be strong for me?” Her eyes lit up and she nodded vigorously. “Be yourself. Find those strengths that are already inside you and put them on display while you play your heart out on stage tonight, okay?”

 

He took a hand out of his pocket and held it toward her. A hint of a smile began to creep on her face as his words hit her. She found her confidence in them, and she took her brother’s hand, letting him lead her to the front door.

1