Chapter 7 Anxious
261 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eugênio pushed open the heavy door of the room, surprising himself to find a crowd gathered in the corridor. Curious looks, confused faces, expressions of concern: all huddled in front of the room, eager to find out what had happened there and why the police had been called. Eugênio's appearance, emerging from inside the room, ignited a spark of curiosity in the group, surprising them and redirecting all attention to him.

Rhea, who was trying to disperse the crowd, noticed the shift in focus. The confusion gave way to a barrage of questions directed at Eugênio, as if the answer to the puzzle was imprinted on his face. However, before he could answer any of them, Eugênio activated his ocular powers, sweeping the crowd for a familiar face, a gang member, or anyone who could pose a threat.

His eyes, trained and precise, examined each individual one by one, but found nothing of note. No familiar face, no imminent threat. Yet, in the middle of that process, a sudden pain lodged in his eyeballs. His vision wavered, his eyelids blinked, and finally, his powers abruptly shut down.

The pain was so sudden and intense that Eugênio brought his hand to his eyes, as if he could alleviate the discomfort with a simple touch. Rhea, who was watching the scene from a distance, interpreted the gesture as a sign of crying. Concern took over her face. She thought Eugênio was emotionally upset by what had happened.

Determined, she ordered everyone to back off, using her authority to create a space around Eugênio. She walked up to him, her eyes expressing understanding and concern. When she arrived at his side, she put a hand on his shoulder and spoke, her soft and comforting voice standing out amidst the crowd's chatter:

"It's okay, it's over. I'm glad you didn't get hurt."

The concern in her voice, the gentle touch on his shoulder, the tense environment: all this created an intense and emotionally charged atmosphere, highlighting the complexity and gravity of the situation.

"What do you think you're doing?" Eugênio's question emerged from his throat like a growl, his eyebrows arched in an expression of displeasure. Rhea, feeling the tension in his words, continued to softly run her hand through his hair, in an attempt to offer some kind of comfort.

The situation was bizarre and Eugênio, not knowing what to do, desperately tried to read Rhea's thoughts, seeking a clue in her expression. However, before he could decipher anything, a wave of pain hit his eyes again, forcing him to close his eyelids in a protective gesture.

"It's okay, you don't have to look strong. It's just us two here, everyone else has gone," Rhea said, believing that Eugênio's unease was just because he had something in his eye. However, seeing him lower his head again, she realized the situation was more complex. He was struggling, trying to look strong in front of others, but now, in her presence alone, the mask was beginning to crumble.

An ironic smile crossed Rhea's face. It wasn't scornful, but a silent adoration for the courage and strength Eugênio displayed. He had sacrificed himself for her, coming out of the room, looking confident and unshakeable, but now he was here, looking so vulnerable. This realization caused a wave of tenderness to flood her heart.

However, Eugênio, uncomfortable with the situation, finally pulled away from her arms. "It seems the pleasure I offered you was so intense that you're starting to lose your sanity," he said, casting an exasperated and irritated look at Rhea.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were crying," Rhea replied, her nervous hands playing with her long, blonde hair. A blush colored her cheeks when she realized she had completely misunderstood.

"Please, don't bring up that subject here!" Rhea exclaimed, squeezing Eugênio's waist with a significant pinch. She was referring to the intimate incident they shared, despite her marriage. Looking around and finding they were alone, a sigh of relief escaped her lips. However, guilt soon set in, making her heart heavy at the thought of her husband.

"And what don't you want me to talk about, exactly?" Eugênio teased, sketching a mischievous smile. "I bet they're already spreading that I was crying. You're going to have to make up for this embarrassment somehow." His hands went to Rhea's waist, his fingers lightly pressing the curve of her hips.

"Wait!" Rhea interrupted, pushing Eugênio's hands away with a serious expression. "I need to go home. I'm glad you're okay and grateful for what you did for me." Her voice was soft, but firm, and she carefully untangled the physical contact, creating tangible space between them.

Eugênio was stunned by the sudden change in behavior. He was still trying to process recent events. Minutes ago, Rhea was given into his arms, even though he had blackmailed her, she seemed to enjoy the moment. Now, she was rejecting any form of intimacy. Confusion spread through his mind, making it hard to distinguish his feelings from reality.

"What? Now you pretend nothing happened? Forgot that I know all about your affair?" Eugênio's voice sounded threatening in the silence of the corridor. He ardently wished his ocular powers were working at that moment, but they were inactive, leaving him blind to the emotions that floated on the surface of Rhea's eyes.

"No, I didn't forget," Rhea replied, her soft and calm voice contrasting with the palpable tension in the air. "But honestly, if you think this will affect me, you are very mistaken. I don't care anymore about what you think or say." Her words were said with such coldness and determination that Eugênio was momentarily left speechless.

Without saying anything more, Rhea turned and walked away from him, her body stiff and her steps firm. She didn't look back, she didn't give Eugênio the satisfaction of seeing any sign of hesitation or regret.

As she walked away, Rhea felt a vibration in her pocket. She pulled out her cell phone and saw a notification of a new message from Patrick, her lover, saying he was waiting for her at the warehouse. For a moment, she hesitated, but then, with renewed determination, she typed a simple reply: "I'm not going."

With a quick and decisive move, she blocked Patrick's number, severing the last tie that connected them. She had made her decision. There would be no more betrayals, no more lies. She had been too selfish, disrespecting her marriage and yielding to carnal desire, both with Patrick and with Eugênio. But guilt was eating her inside, especially after today's events.

If she had died at the hands of the men who threatened her, she would be remembered as a woman who died betraying her husband, and that was not the image she wanted to leave behind. That was not the legacy she wanted for her life. With this thought, Rhea walked away.

Eugênio remained motionless, his expression so unchanged that he almost seemed petrified. Inside him, however, a bitter laugh threatened to overflow. He knew Rhea too well to believe in that sudden wave of regret. It was like watching a melodramatic play, where the character repents at the end, but the audience knows that, given the chance, the character would make the same mistakes again.

With an air of nonchalance almost palpable, Eugênio decided it was time to withdraw from that ridiculous scenario. He turned slowly, his steps echoing in the empty corridor, and walked towards his dormitory. With each step he took, the image of Rhea trying to play innocent after all her illicit acts became more and more ridiculous in his mind.

A feeling of pity crept into his chest, not for Rhea, but for her husband. A man who, no doubt, would be betrayed again by his wife, even if it wasn't with Eugênio. He was sure that Rhea would return to her lover's arms as soon as the dust settled. After all, a leopard doesn't change its spots.

Eugênio felt a wave of irritation form within him. Rhea's hypocrisy was so transparent it was almost offensive. After all the betrayals, all the secret meetings with her lover, now she tried to paint herself white, like the devoted wife she had never been. Her pathetic attempt at redemption aroused a deep disgust in Eugênio, as if he had swallowed something bitter.

He knew that Rhea would not change. No matter how much she tried to reinvent herself, no matter how much she tried to clean her stained image, she would always return to her true nature. The prospect of seeing her fall again into infidelity, this time as a mere spectator, provoked a malevolent smile on his face. Eugênio even felt a tingling of anticipation. He could hardly wait to watch this scene unfold, to see Rhea reveal herself again for what she really was. And when that happened, he would be there, ready to laugh at her inevitable fall from her mask of innocence.

Rhea moved away from the imposing university building, her heels hitting the sidewalk's asphalt with a steady rhythm that seemed to echo the determination in her heart. She headed straight for the parking lot, where her car, an elegant black sedan, was parked.

With a sigh, she slid into the vehicle, feeling the leather upholstery against her back as she closed the door behind her. Her heart pounded in her chest, an insistent drum that seemed to mark the beginning of a new stage in her life. With trembling fingers, she grabbed her cellphone from the central console and dialed her husband's number.

After a few seconds of silence, her husband's voice echoed from the other side of the line, a tone of confusion apparent. "Rhea? Calling at this time, what happened?" The worry in his voice sent a sharp pain through her heart. He had no idea what she had done, of the betrayal she had committed.

"Today I could leave earlier because something happened at the university," she began, her voice wavering a bit. "Nothing important to worry about. I called because... I'm going to pick up Alice today." Her words came out hesitant, a silent confession of the mistakes she had made.

Rhea wanted to say that she just wanted to hear his voice, but guilt flooded her. She felt disgusted with herself, repulsed by her actions. Her husband was innocent, a good man who didn't deserve to be betrayed. And yet, she had betrayed him, over and over again.

"Ok, today I'll find a way to leave work earlier." Her husband's voice sounded excited, completely oblivious to the storm unfolding in Rhea's heart. "Since today is one of the days we have time, I have a surprise for you. I'll tell you when I get home."

The promise of a surprise for her only made her feel the depth of her disappointment more. He was planning something special for her, even while she was mired in her own mistakes. This only reinforced Rhea's vow to herself: from now on, she would strive to make up for her husband in every possible way. The betrayal, the lies, all of this would end today. Rhea was determined to become the wife her husband deserved.

4