Chapter 2 – Hunting pluses.
230 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After fleeing from the titanic Hollow that surfaced from the sand, the small Hollow had settled down beneath one of the few deceased trees of the forest. "Tired." Another word in its vocabulary is thought of to describe how it is feeling at the moment. Running from the conflict in the middle of a fight was more tiring than usual. 

The small Hollow had time to think about what it'd experienced during the short run-in with Numb-A. Even with its superior speed, the small Hollow was completely outclassed by the larger, more experienced hunter. Had the titan-sized Hollow now emerged from the sand, then the small Hollow would've certainly become food for Numb-A.

Unlike the eventful nature of the previous scenario, the desert of Hueco Mundo remains completely unchanged. "Far." It wonders if it's just gone too far from its birthplace. It'd found Numb-A close to its place of origin, but now it's blindly run far enough away that it hopes it cannot be followed.

Recovering its stamina for a few more minutes, the small Hollow eventually brings itself from beneath the lifeless tree. 

Walking aimlessly, the small Hollow hasn't a single idea of what it wants to accomplish. Besides Numb-A, who's likely been consumed by the massive centipede Hollow, the small Hollow hadn't detected anyone relative to its own power that it feels that it can hunt. Troublesome as it may be, it doesn't quite feel the emotion of disappointment yet. Right now, it feels patient. Patience is a virtue when wandering this place.

"Rodent." The words of Numb-A are stuck in its mind. "Mouse." It repeats the insults thrown at it. "Tootsie-roll." Weirdly, it sounds like the small Hollow is sulking rather than actually repeating the words. It'd been insulted in its first interaction with its own kind. Granted, this interaction was by all means a deathmatch, the usage of hurtful words felt very unnecessary to it. It's small feelings are hurt.

Without much time to ponder on its own feelings, the small Hollow's attention is attracted by an ear-jerking noise. Like a distorted war horn, a painful noise fights the air itself. Alarmed by the disturbing noise, the small Hollow sprints off to find its origin. Something tells it that it must be fast—an opportunity is near.

As it grows closer, the Hollow slides to a halt a distance away from a wide opening. At the center of the opening, somewhat more distinct from the desolate plain because of the abundance of dead bushes randomly grown around the area, a creature stands in front of a massive black canvas. Holding on to the air like a sheet, the creature steps into the canvas, revealing it to be an unnatural opening in the sky; an opening in space.

As the opening seals itself behind the Hollow that enters it, some distance away, another Hollow reaches its hand out into the air as well. Presumably, the two Hollows were allies judging by the fact that their gorilla-like appearances matched one another. The remaining Gorilla Hollow's hand grips the sky, tearing it down to reveal another opening, emitting the same deafening sound that'd lured the small Hollow here.

Quietly, the small Hollow observes as the remaining Gorilla Hollow enters into the opening. Closing it behind itself, just like the one before, the small Hollow cannot help but stare in awe at the sight. Existing for what barely added to an hour, it has seen many unusual things. For its mind, however, everything is unusual. 

"Rrrrrrrhhhh..." Trying to mimic the noise of the opening in space that the Gorilla Hollows had just done, the small Hollow's arms slide through the air, trying to mimic the same. Its tentacle-like arms all rise up, revealing the Hollow hole in its chest as the makeshift cloak ascends. 

Intently, the Hollow aims to grasp the air. Its tentacles want to fold around the sky like a sheet, to pull the sky apart. The first several attempts were unsuccessful. This shouldn't be a surprise, as it is trying to do something that it has no clue how. Soon, the intended results show themselves to the hopeful Hollow.

Its tentacles puncture through the fabric of space in front of itself. Gripping the sky in a sequence that feels almost natural after the first few attempts, the small Hollow replicates the actions of the Gorilla Hollows carefully. Tugging the sky, an indescribable mixture of colors reveals itself behind the curtains of reality. Hypnotized by the new sight, somehow less depressing than the desolate wasteland of Hueco Mundo, the small Hollow unconsciously steps into the opening.

As it enters into the rift in space, a tunnel reveals itself on the opposite end. A white light for it to approach, a beacon drawing it in. Whereas the other colors are mixtures of blackness, encompassing a void, the Hollow feels itself being drawn by an invisible force to the white beacon. Once it grew closer to the beacon, the light faded, joining the blackness of the void that composed the tunnel.

Finally, the light faded as the small Hollow stopped. Reaching out in front of itself, the small Hollow takes hold of the sky again, and the sky opens. 

To the surprise of the Hollow, the sight before its eyes is irregular. It did not compare to anything that it'd seen in the quiet Hueco Mundo.

As it steps through the rift, its feet make contact with ground far more solid than the sand of the desert. The atmosphere feels much different than it did in Hueco Mundo. While the Hollow didn't know how to put it into words, it was conscious of the differences in air quality. Furthermore, it was immediately made aware of the difference in quantity in comparison to Hueco Mundo.

In Hueco Mundo, it was rare to come across trees or even structures. After walking for a long while, you'd be lucky to discover your own kind unless you radiated an aura like Numb-A, which could attract others to its location.

Here, in whatever this place is with a vibrant blue sky, there are hundreds of identical creatures walking around. Odd creatures with circular legs idly cross the world around the small Hollow—it's almost overwhelming. 

The small Hollow is alerted by the sound of footsteps approaching behind it. As its eyes lock on to the approaching creature, it finds a bird. A living creature with wings, but lacking the hole of a Hollow. It finds this to be odd, but nevertheless, the creature can clearly be hunted. Darting at it, the small Hollow's lance punctures through the body of the bird, reducing it to a chunk of divided mincemeat.

"Hhhrrmm?" The small Hollow is a bit confused for a moment. Something feels odd about the execution of the bird. Its life was certainly taken, but there was a weird feeling within the Hollow after killing it. The creature was fair prey, but it was living. Though, it ponders on what defines the line between what is living and what is not.

"Woah!" Someone in the distance calls out in shock. Turning to look, one of the identical creatures from before looks in distress at the sudden eruption of the bird in what it calls the road. "A bird just blew up in the road! Did you guys see that?!"

The reaction of the creature is peculiar in the eyes of the small Hollow. It claims that the bird exploded, but that is not the truth. It was impaled. "Air...?" The small Hollow wonders if the foolish creature couldn't see it. It was very obvious what happened to anyone who was watching.

"Jeez, that's terrible!" Another person calls out, agreeing with the sentiment done by the other creature. 

It is then that a word pops into the mind of the small Hollow to describe what it is looking at. Its brain shifts its gears to generate new, innate information in its mind. Humans. The names of the creatures speaking and standing on two legs, similar to itself, are humans.

Deducing that it actually could not be seen by the humans of this world, the small Hollow moves to explore this world further. With its great agility, the small Hollow leaped away from the road that it'd been standing in the middle of. The death of the bird was an attempt at hunting prey similar to itself. It was mistaken—the birds were not a valuable source of food to satiate its hunger.

Ascending to the highest point of one of the nearby structures, the small Hollow cannot help but bask in the gentle breeze blowing by. Unlike the lifeless wind of Hueco Mundo, the breeze here felt full of life. It was cool, making this world feel all the more alive.

Like a strike of irony, something deceased strolls into the eyes of the Hollow as it scans the foreign surroundings.

The entity looked human but stood—or rather floated—out from all the others. It lacked legs, hovering across the sky like a bird would be able to with wings. There are no wings to be found on this human, though. The sight of the ghostly human left the Hollow's stomach trembling. Hunger made itself known just like before, the intensity even greater after its previous battle.

Already in a favorable position, the small Hollow shoots itself down at the ghost like a bullet. Crashing down on top of the creature, which most would go through unknowingly, the small Hollow sends it flying down to the ground with a soft thud. The ghost opens its mouth to protest and groan, but most of the words it says do not reach the ears of the hungry Hollow. 

To survive, one must eat. The small Hollow has adopted the role of a predator against this ghost. Leaning in over the ghost as it stands on its chest, the small Hollow is not dissuaded by any pleas or screams. Instead, the process of consumption leaves the ghost completely stunned in disgust. The way that the small Hollow opened its mouth to consume the ghost was a sight so horrifying that the ghost was speechless, even while it was consumed and collected into the small Hollow's mass.

In the end, the ghost was absorbed into the slight mass of the Hollow. Even after consuming something much larger than itself, the small creature did not grow in size a bit. 

The feeling of hunger was finally satiated after consuming something of a much larger quantity than itself, but that didn't seem to be the only thing determining how much the creature could eat—or how much it desired to eat. Underlying variables seem to work with one another to determine the drive behind the hunger of the Hollow.

In this world brimming with never-before-seen technology and creations, the small Hollow feels relieved. Hueco Mundo isn't the only hunting place for something like itself, lacking in power. 

Presently, stalking more wandering spirits from a rooftop, the small Hollow does not find it necessary to read the sign of the building it sat on top of. Before its eyes are healthy souls, brimming with life; undeath. Faithfully following its instincts, it goes in for the kill of its new prey.

The sign that it did not read carried vital information on its whereabouts. For an immature Hollow like itself, none of that nonsense would matter, nor could it understand the context behind it. The meaning behind Karakura General Hospital would mean little to it. 

When Hollow activity becomes problematic, the Soul Reapers are the ones who are tasked with stepping in and solving the problem. Unfortunately for the small Hollow, it is not the biggest predator in this new world of life. A prolonged stay in the human world has never worked out for any Hollow who still draws breath in Hueco Mundo. It'll have to learn why that is on its own.

10