Chapter 5 – A hollow woman kidnapped it.
214 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Trembling from fear, the small Hollow stands in the middle of nowhere. The vast white void of Hueco Mundo surrounds it in its state of distress. Haunted by the powerful aura that erupted from the Shinigami after the few words it'd said, the small Hollow shivers at the thought of facing that power again. It was unlike anything it'd felt before. It nearly surpassed the power of the centipede that came from the ground.

Now, it's been forced back here. Hueco Mundo, the wasteland that it started in not long ago. 

In its short time in the Human World, the small Hollow has gained a lot of knowledge about how things operate. Not everyone it meets is a Hollow. Some are humans, while there are others who look like humans but aren't. Humans cannot see it, but there are fighters who look like humans, Shinigami, who can see it and will try to kill it. Fairly speaking, it's much like the hunt between Hollows that the creature has experienced. While the Shinigami will try to kill it, it's only fair for it to kill them in return. This fact was made clear after it slew the white-haired Shinigami.

The black-haired Shinigami carried memorable power. The small Hollow will make sure that it never forgets that feeling — the ambient feeling of helplessness. Time stopped when the Shinigami unleashed that plethora of power. As far as the small Hollow is concerned, the Gorilla Hollows that'd been on the same floor as it were as good as dead. Even the stern bone defenses they had on parts of their bodies would be helpless before the Shinigami's attack. All of its instincts warned it of the fact that if it were to come into contact with that kind of power again, it'd die.

Unwittingly, it feels afraid. The very idea of facing the Shinigami again is unappealing — horrifying. 

. . .

After composing itself, the small Hollow begins its walk again. It's the only thing anyone can do when in Hueco Mundo. Fun isn't something that the small Hollow has come to learn naturally. There is nothing that it feels that it enjoys, no true thrill that a human can say they've felt — it's very familiar with adrenaline, however. Something akin to adrenaline for Hollows, at least.

The walk is long and boring. This much is evident. 

What's more obvious is that the Hollow doesn't even know what it's looking for in the first place. Another fight would suffice in entertainment and a chance for it to grow stronger, but it has no way of picking its random opponents. 

If a foe on the same level of power as the Shinigami, Kuroda, appeared before it in this wasteland, it'd become a meal to a greater force.

The one named Mae, who it'd killed, wasn't nearly as powerful as the man. His power was only a bit greater than Gorba and Gorbo's. Killing him while his guard was down presented itself as a far easier task than it would've been for any other foe. After taking his eye, fighting him would've been easier than it'd have been otherwise.

Returning to the Human World is a thought that it has while wandering. This thought is dispelled by the idea that the Shinigami from before will be waiting for it. Following its instincts is the only proper way of staying alive here. 

Flying face-first into the ground, the small Hollow hadn't even noticed that it tripped over something until it made contact with the sand.

Sand particles jump into the air from the vibration generated beneath the sand. Turning over onto its back, the small Hollow looks to see what it'd tripped on. Much to its surprise, at the same time, something begins to emerge from the sand.

A slender hand reaches out, taking it by one of its lance before it has time to react. Helplessly, it kicks around while being raised into the air.

"I'd never expected a cute thing like you to wake me from my slumber." That is a new word to it. Slumber, it was slumbering in the sand of Hueco Mundo. 

Now that it is being held by the hand, the small creature can feel glimpses of the ridiculous power the being holds. The voice sounds feminine like it should belong to a woman, but the creature's features before the Hollow is unlike anything it's ever seen.

Solidifying her identity as a Hollow, the apparent female has a hole located on its stomach. Its mask is featureless, plain white—slits where its eyes should be. Unusually, protrusions are visible on its chest. Sacks that likely made up two stomachs, as far as the small creature is concerned. Its limbs are oddly human, with the exception of its legs. Its legs were slender, too slender. Much like the small Hollow's legs, they lacked any feet, but rather than having curvatures at the end to form nubs, her legs stretched sharply. The ends of her legs are sharp enough to impale it if it were to be beneath her.

"Hm... You're too weak to be one of Baraggan's faithful servants. He'd never keep someone of your size around." 

Quietly, the small Hollow stares at the massive creature in front of it. It is being examined like some sort of trinket, but it is helpless to fight against it.

The Hollow in front of it is massive. Her size isn't larger than the centipede, but it is huge in its own right. Huge enough to hold it in the air with just two fingers. "Well, I guess there's no use killing you." Dismissively, the small Hollow is tossed away by the huge female Hollow.

After landing on the ground, the small Hollow stares up at the giant before it. If she didn't look big before, she looked even larger now. An ant in the face of a titan is the analogy that'd come to mind. 

As if she'd expected it to skitter away, the giant Hollow looks down at the smaller creature. "You can leave, little critter. I'm not going to eat you." Regardless of her intentions, the small Hollow feels itself become irked by the comment. Critter? It didn't know the meaning of this word, but it knew that it had something to do with its size. In fact, the female Hollow implied that it was little before!

Much to the surprise of the female Hollow, instead of running away, the small creature darts in her direction, leaving a cloud of dust behind it. The lance in its hand hadn't been damaged by her grabbing it, but she didn't expect it to try and use it against her. "Oh, you're angry." 

Soon, the small Hollow reaches her. It strikes at her leg, the closest thing that it can, intending to limit her mobility if she were to stand.

It is left surprised when its lance, even after striking with great force and precision, doesn't even puncture her body. "Sorry, I didn't mean to make you angry. I actually didn't know you could understand me." Rightfully, after catching on to the small Hollow's silence and confusion, she was under the impression that it couldn't understand speech. She isn't wrong about this idea.

"Look, if you attack me again, I'm going to kill you." The small Hollow finds itself crashing into the ground beneath heavy pressure. Even after trying to move its body, the Hollow cannot bring itself to move. It is impossible. Like gravity has focused in on it, every fiber in its body has been left still.

The female Hollow sounds surprised. "Woah! You didn't get flattened by that much pressure? Maybe it's been a while since I've had to release some spiritual pressure." Scratching behind her head, the Hollow reaches down to the small Hollow. The pressure ceases, dwindling as the hand grows closer. "Well, whatever. If you're insistent on staying so close to me..."

"R-Run!" As if calling out to itself, the small Hollow leaps from the ground the moment it feels the pressure become light enough for it to move. Attempting to make ground from the female Hollow, it dashes in the opposite direction.

Escape is rendered futile as soon as the female Hollow's hand takes it by the head. Kicking its legs around again, the Hollow is soon face-to-face with the mask of its captor. 

"I'm Munelra. I'll be keeping you with me for a while. Don't run away or I'll really eat you." 

The small Hollow is thrown into the air, only to land on the head of the giant Hollow. Looking around in confusion, it attempts to process its situation.

Because it attacked her instead of running away, Munelra decided to keep the Hollow with her. It didn't make sense to it, but the pressure from before was undeniably a result of her power. Opposing her would be foolish. Furthermore, it looks like she has no intention of killing it unless it tries to get away from her. All of these things in mind: one word comes to mind for the small thing.

'Scared...' The development of its own conscience has begun. 

12