Chapter 12: Wolves and Men
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I think I'll enjoy the descent into hell that will be your withdrawal crisis." Brina says with her usual sarcasm. Her voice drips with sadistic satisfaction, and I admit that the prospect of seeing Filomena suffer from the lack of her drug gives me a strange form of pleasure.

I can't help but agree with Brina. "It's not a bad idea, after all, it's like she's already punishing herself." I say with a hint of sarcasm. I look at Filomena, the red and silver-haired girl, and admit that the sight of her future discomfort doesn't evoke any pity from me.

However, Filomena continues to try to negotiate her way out of the crisis. "Michele, be aware that I could send you to the moon... ask Saverio!" Filomena continues, more desperate than ever.

Saverio looks at her with disdain. "Don't involve me in this charade... go ahead and keep trying to seduce him. I'll just wait. Sooner or later, they'll give in, one way or another."

The moon rises from behind the dunes as our Caravan continues through the desert, casting an eerie silver light. Milan drives with determination, leading us through the scorching sands like a snake of metal moving confidently. Despite the tension in the air, the silence is broken only by the constant hum of the engine and the whisper of the wind lifting thin clouds of sand into the air.

Brina and I keep an eye on the prisoners, ready to intervene if necessary. Despite their provocations and venomous insinuations, our group remains united by the will to protect what's left of humanity in this devastated world.

Filomena seems unwilling to give up and continues to try to seduce me with her words, but I remain impassive. Their manipulative tactics won't work with me.

Meanwhile, Otilia is focused, immersed in her thoughts as she devises a plan to face the imminent attack of the raiders. She studies the weapons and equipment of the Raiders we've confiscated, searching for any useful information. I know she's a strong and determined leader, ready to do whatever it takes to defend our Caravan and the people within.

As the dialogue with the prisoners continues, I reflect on their distorted ideology and the ideals of the raiders. They call themselves "wolves" and believe that the world should be governed by brutality, that only the strongest should survive. However, this view is profoundly flawed.

I think of the animals, the real wolves, that once roamed this land. But, like the vast majority of species, they have been extinct for decades. The ideals of the raiders are based on a mistaken concept: that of the law of the jungle. They believe that the world is governed by brutality, that only the strongest should survive. But the reality is that brute force alone is not enough to ensure the survival of a species.

I look around me and see the endless desert. The land is arid, the sun is relentless, and the heat is oppressive. However, we are not sheep incapable of facing adversity. We are men, endowed with an extraordinary ability: adaptability.

Men are the only known living beings to survive global climate change. We have faced challenges that have led to the extinction of many other species. Our intelligence, our ability to cooperate, and our innovation have allowed us to survive when others would have failed.

What the raiders don't understand is that the strength of humanity lies in our ability to come together and work for the common good. We have survived epidemics, wars, hunger, and environmental disasters precisely because we can overcome our differences and collaborate for our future.

The more I reflect on all this, the more I realize that the ideal of the raiders, their law of the jungle, does not represent an evolution of the human species, but rather a regression. It is a return to primitive thinking, based on violence and selfishness. It is a challenge to the very survival of the human race.

Real evolution lies in the ability to embrace compassion, cooperation, and mutual understanding. Hope for a better future resides in humanity, not in the darkness of the raiders. We will continue to fight, not only to survive but also to preserve what makes us human.

Filomena, with her usual malicious smile, tries to seduce me with her words. "My body for your thoughts! Mickey... what are you thinking?" she says provocatively.

"I think you could make yourself useful in some way, and maybe I could give you some of that substance in return." I reply coldly, having had an idea that could lead to information.

Filomena's eyes light up at the thought. "What do you want me to do? I can fulfill all your fantasies..."

"I'm not interested in you, but the information you can give us." I retort firmly.

I approach Otilia, who is examining the confiscated weapons. "Otilia, are these of the same type as the ones I took from the dead raider at Domus Speranza?" I ask her.

"Yes, they have the same Starfield Corp. brand." Otilia confirms.

I return to Filomena, the red and silver-haired girl. "Tell me, Filomena, where did you get these weapons and equipment?" I ask, trying to obtain crucial information.

Saverio tries to prevent her from answering. "Don't tell him anything."

Filomena tries to play with me, attempting to negotiate with her venomous words. "Uhmm... I don't remember well... I actually have a bit of a headache. If only I could have one of those blue pills, maybe they'd help me remember."

"As you wish, then you can continue to suffer in your withdrawal crisis." I say, closing the door to her demands.

Filomena pleads, trying to lower my guard. "Wait, Michele! Don't be so harsh!"

"Then speak, Nice-hair, don't waste any more time." Brina says firmly.

"Toronto gave them to us! A few months ago, he arrived with these fantastic toys that we had never seen before. Robbing survivors became a joke with this firepower." Filomena reveals, shaking her head slightly.

Saverio reacts with anger. "Shut up!"

"Where did Toronto get them?" I press, trying to get more detailed information.

"I don't know... really. He arrived with heavy vehicles, loaded with weapons, ammunition, and equipment."

"It's not enough, Nice-hair." Brina reiterates, maintaining her determination.

"Think about it carefully. When you give us something more concrete, I'll give you the pill." I say, trying to urge her to speak.

Filomena complains annoyingly, but her resistance is weakening.

At a certain point, Milan exclaims, 

"We're here! That's Rinascita!" he says excitedly, as we see the refuge in the distance.

1