Chapter 19: Filomena’s Interrogation
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE ESCAPE*

The atmosphere in the Rinascita base is tense. It's clear that General Venturi and Major Katia are engaged in an intense discussion as I enter the meeting room. I stop at the threshold, trying not to attract too much attention while I figure out what's happening.

"General, we can't allow more outsiders into Rinascita," Katia says sternly. "We're already struggling to maintain our resources. We can't afford to share them with others."

The General, a man with a stern appearance but a wisdom that has allowed Rinascita to thrive, is advocating for the inclusion of "outsiders." He believes that Rinascita should open up as much as possible to other surviving communities. "We need more labor, more resources," he argues convincingly. "That's the only way we can grow and expand our community."

On the other hand, there's Major Katia, a woman with an unwavering temperament and a deep attachment to Rinascita's original community. Her long reddish hair falls to her mid-back and is tied in two parallel braids that meet at the nape of her neck. She despises "outsiders," seeing them as parasites who steal resources meant for the original inhabitants. "We must protect what's ours," she hisses with fierce determination. "Self-isolation is the key to our survival."

I'm torn about who's right. Since I arrived at Rinascita, I've seen both sides of the coin and understand the motivations of both. While the General seeks to create a broader future for the community, Katia seems determined to preserve the present. Being an outsider myself, I should side with General Venturi, but perhaps there's a way to bridge these two visions.

"Here you are, Michele," the General greets me, noticing my presence. "This young man has recently arrived, but he's been working hard in the community," he explains, using me as an example. Then, addressing me, he asks, "Have you chosen your ID?"

Katia eyes me skeptically.

"Good morning, General. Good morning, Major," I greet both of them respectfully. Then, I turn to the General and reply, "I've chosen my Identification Number, 324953. The numbers correspond to the birth years of the group that saved me. 32 is Otilia's birth year, 49 is Milano's, and 53 is Brina's. I want it to symbolize the unity between the past and our future."

The General smiles, reflecting on this information, while Katia appears even more disgusted by my presence.

Katia looks at me with disdain in her cold eyes. It's clear she has little sympathy for "outsiders" like me. "Very interesting," she says with an icy tone. "But you haven't yet proven yourself trustworthy and deserving of staying here in Rinascita."

"You're right, Major. I still have to work hard and make myself useful," I reply, lowering my gaze slightly, choosing my words carefully. "There's something I have in mind, General. I'd like to meet Filomena, the Raider prisoner. Unlike the other prisoner, Saverio, I believe she can be persuaded to talk to us."

Katia seems opposed to the idea, convinced that only she is capable of conducting effective interrogations. "Absolutely not," she protests vehemently. "Interrogations are my expertise, and I don't see why we should entrust it to an inexperienced young man. This is not a game."

"What makes you think you can make her talk?" General Venturi inquires.

"In the time I've had to deal with her, I believe I've established a 'connection.' We're not friends by any means, but I think the façade she puts on is starting to crumble," I reply, voicing my thoughts.

General Venturi rises from his chair and approaches me. He places a hand on my shoulder, indicating his approval. "Michele has shown great determination in surviving and making it here. Let's give this proposal a chance. If he believes he can obtain useful information from Filomena, let him try."

"General, how could this young man possibly get information? The prisoner is dangerous, and he's not trained in interrogation," Major Katia protests.

"I don't claim to know how to do your job, Major. I don't think I can interrogate her, but I believe that by talking to her, she might open up a bit. Right now, she's suffering from withdrawal, and perhaps she might let her guard down with me."

"So, you plan on wasting our time," she retorts.

"Katia, it won't hurt to give it a try," General Venturi tries to convince her.

"As you wish, but I don't want to take responsibility for this foolishness," Major Katia concedes in the end, feeling the pressure from the General.

My heart pounds. I've gained the General's consent. I need to meet Filomena and hope that my words can make her talk.

------

The corridor is silent as I approach Filomena's cell. My head is filled with uncertainty. I don't know what to expect from this encounter, but I'm determined to do my best to get the information we need.

One of the guards signals for me to pass, having received permission from the General.

I arrive in front of the cell and mentally prepare myself for the meeting.

"Prisoner, you have a visitor," the intercom informs her.

The glass in front of me becomes transparent, revealing the inside of the cell and its occupant.

When Filomena sees me, her reaction is immediate. "Mickey?!" she exclaims in surprise, her dirty and exhausted face lighting up for a moment.

Her condition is terrible: her once red and silver hair is now a greasy tangle. The regrowth of her original brown hair adds a disheveled look to her appearance. But I can't blame her too much; she's been a prisoner for a long time.

"Do you have Ice? Did you bring it to me? I knew I could count on you! I'll do anything you want!" she bursts out like a river in flood, imploring me to give her a pill. But I don't have any drugs with me, nor do I intend to give her any.

"I see you haven't followed my advice. If you want to get something, you need to reveal your information," I tell her, trying to maintain a calm but determined tone.

"I-I can't..." she replies, her voice trembling.

"Why?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"The price of betrayal is too high... I've seen what happens to traitors... I-I've suffered the abuse..." she explains, stammering and frightened.

"You're safe here," I retort, trying to reassure her.

"N-no! Nowhere is safe! Toronto is a demon. He'll come here and kill all of you sheep..." she replies, her fear palpable in her eyes.

"Even if he managed to breach Rinascita's defenses, what do you think your future would be?" I challenge her.

"I-I don't know..." she reluctantly admits.

"He would still see you as a traitor," I continue, trying to make her understand her situation.

"B-but I didn't talk!" she defends herself.

"From what you describe, I don't think Toronto is so understanding. According to your philosophy, just being captured makes you weak. Sheep instead of wolves," I explain, hoping she'll see the fallacy of their ideology.

Filomena turns pale. My observation seems to have hit home.

"I-I can satisfy Toronto... I've already done it... In fact, if you could give me a pill, I could satisfy you too!" she resumes her obsessive request.

"So, you're an object to fulfill the desires of men like Saverio and Toronto," I say coldly.

"Fuck you!" she responds angrily, raising her middle finger.

"You know I'm right," I retort, not allowing her to escape from the reality of her actions.

She collapses to her knees, as if the weight of her guilt has become unbearable. She wants to cry, but she seems incapable of doing so.

"There's another way to live," I tell her gently.

"Shut up... go away..." she mumbles, hiding her face in her hands.

"I lost my family, I lost my home," I continue, ignoring her desire to push me away. "I thought I had nothing left to live for."

She raises her gaze, looking at me with red, swollen eyes. "So, why do you keep living?"

"Because I was saved by Otilia and her team. They brought me here, to Rinascita. This place is precious. We can build a future here," I explain with conviction.

"It's too late for me," she murmurs, still trapped in her cycle of self-destruction.

"It's never too late to start over," I insist firmly.

"You have no idea what I've done... what I've endured... It's starting to come back... I need Ice to not think about it. Please!" she pleads, a single tear slowly rolling down her dirty face.

"I'm here to listen to you," I say sincerely.

"I-I can't..." she mumbles, struggling with her inner demons.

"I'm in no hurry. I won't leave here," I affirm calmly.

"You're such a bastard, Mickey... do you enjoy seeing people suffer? You're no different from the Raiders," she accuses me.

"I hated you because you were one of the Raiders. They killed my mother. Because of their raid, I lost my sister, whom I was supposed to protect," I confess, the pain of the past resurfacing as I speak. "I thought I would enjoy seeing you suffer from withdrawal. But in reality, it's a sight that brings me no pleasure."

"You're right to hate me... I hate you too," she responds bitterly.

"Human beings can be much more than ferocious beasts... In fact, to evolve, we must build, not destroy. It's pure logic," I reply.

"B-beautiful words... But I've killed... Women, children, men... Innocents..." she admits, bringing her hands to her head as if she wants to rid herself of her sins.

"Does it make you suffer, what you've done?" I ask, hoping to make her see that remorse is a sign of humanity.

Filomena doesn't respond immediately. She has a bout of nausea and tries to vomit, but she can't. Only saliva comes out of her mouth.

Admitting that what she's done is wrong and that it makes her suffer would render her existence harmful. Without the justification of the Raiders' distorted philosophy, she would see the reality of things and have to face her sins. Can she confront the crimes she's committed? Accept them and find a way to atone for them? Filomena must choose.

"Y-yes..." she admits, head bowed.

I nod in understanding.

"The only way to keep living was to stay high all the time..." she continues, her tone remorseful.

"The past can't be changed. But we can change the future. This pain you're feeling, the pain you've inflicted, we can prevent it from happening to others," I tell her with hope.

"N-no, Katia is right. You should kill me..." Filomena says sadly.

"I believe death is too easy a punishment for you," I reply, disgusted by her request for an escape through death. She mustn't run away from the consequences of her actions but face them.

She doesn't respond, but I think my words have started to penetrate.

Then she gets up and walks away from the glass without looking at me, lying down on her bed. I don't think she'll tell me more today. I'll give her some time to reflect.

"I'll be back," I say, leaving the cell with the hope that Filomena can find the strength to change her future.

1