ch 2 – Slime Weaponry
437 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slade and his escorts left the underground network of caves and tunnels, reaching the settlement of gnolls located right at the exit to the surface.

He walked amidst the hastily built huts. It was more comfortable for the gnolls to live there on the surface than in dark caves, but they were reassured to know they could hide in the Dungeon if danger came up.

Metiva, the gnoll matriarch, ambushed him. Instead of formalities, she grabbed his pawn by the waist and stuck her face so close that he thought she would lick him all over the face. “Hey, little Lord~”

Metiva, gnoll matriarch

t322.jpg?ex=6517112a&is=6515bfaa&hm=d324daa76af7dc62b0fe5d8c3a90bbc9319d4ff9169470bcbfcae309ea0be54b&

[collapse]

She carried a warbanner and led a group of smaller gnolls, ready to assist her liege. “Let me accompany you on your hunt.”

“Aren’t you busy? You don’t have to come.” Slade shook his head. It felt a bit weird to send the matriarch for menial work outside the town without much escort.

“I have to save face, I can’t let my male take care of food alone,” Metiva said. Indeed, female gnolls were supposed to bring food while the males were waiting at home.

It was a stupid reason for Slade but there was no need to refuse her request. “Huh… Alright, but you should probably leave the warbanner here or your elders will nag us all day. And who are they?” He looked at the five small gnolls, puzzled.

“These youngsters are our new workers, taken from the huntresses who squandered our pawns. They will help you carry your spoils home.”

Slade had them prepare their supplies for departure while he visited a workshop.

An aged worker welcomed him. “Ah, my Lord! I finished your weapon.”

It was a leather whip with a bladed tip. He had wanted a bladed metal whip, but his town didn’t have a foundry ready. The total weight was quite heavy to keep the tip as the lightest part of the whip.

The harpy pawn’s hands were unusable, so she handled it with her foot. The slime suit spread throughout the whip, becoming one with it.

He was able to move the whip as an extension of his body. The blade danced like a snake when he wriggled the tip. Thanks to that, he could adjust the edge alignment during the lashes.

Whips were normally unfit for combat, but that changed with Slade’s ability.

Cutting blades and whips had things in common. Both delivered energy in a very small surface area, blades through geometrical sharpness, and whips through speed. So, what would happen if Slade swung a knife at nearly the speed of sound? The result would look glorious if the knife didn’t obliterate itself.

The other commonality was that they were both notoriously mediocre against armors since they wasted all their energy to obliterate the first tiny spot they grazed instead of trying to move deeper.

“Thanks, I had thought for a long time and I reckon this is the most suitable weapon for harpies and me right now,” Slade said.

The worker shrugged, trying to sell the gnoll’s traditional weapon. “Flails would be just as good.”

Slade chuckled, “Yes, that would be interesting to try someday.”

He left the hut satisfied and joined the hunting party.

Metiva, a harpy pawn, and five carriers accompanied him on the journey in the forest. Many dangers lurked, but with two harpies, it was easy to avoid the terrible creatures.

Eventually, they settled near a marsh where they found a target.

Slade sighed. “A giant mud crab… It’s the worst target to test the whip. Metiva, I’m going solo. Protect the carriers.”

He went with his pawn alone, commanding her to ascend and dive. He unfurled the whip as the pawn kicked, unleashing a flurry of lashes.

lashes

t325.jpg?ex=6517112a&is=6515bfaa&hm=e455853b386915c4e05dc75ff3afa8558c5c2ca8d4a3bd9fddf45f2adbe080e8&

[collapse]

The crab's legs joint cleanly fell apart. But the whip’s blade only cut through the surface of the shell, unable to sink deep into the flesh.

Slade whistled pleasantly. “Let’s go for the kill- Hmm?”

Right when he was about to ascend for a second strike, he noticed the forest shaking strangely.

A fleet of naval ships soared from the trees, carried by giant wings. Soon, the shadows of the vessels became distant blue stains in the sky. They swarmed the floating blimps that traveled from mountains to mountains across the forest.

“Whaaaaat? What is this?! Harpy, return to Metiva!” Slade completely gave up on the wounded crab, who dragged itself away to save its life.

 

"whips [...] delivered energy in a very small surface area [...] through speed." Explanation: When the speed of an impact is low, mechanical interactions can be considered quasi-static. In which case, mechanical inputs are mere 'pushes'. On the other hand, when an impacter approaches the speed of mechanical wave propagation of the target, the interaction is dynamic and it takes time for the energy of the impacter to spread throughout the target as wave packets (like slapping jelly). As the wave packet travels, it release its excess energy into the target as deformation and damage. The faster the impacter, the tighter the wave packet becomes, that is why I consider that speed concentrates energy in smaller areas.

 

Thank you anonymous subscriber!

Holy shit I succ at drawing ships.

Thank you for reading,

OwOtrucked

8