A Passenger inside the prisoner
107 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The door creaked open with a thud.

At the sudden onslaught of light I winced and squinted my eyes through the gaps of my fingers. It took some time for my blurry eyes to come into focus. As it did, the weight of my reality felt distant.

What’s this? What am I seeing?

What came into my recovered sight was four menacing knights, two at stance at the back while two pushing each side of the heavy iron door open, exuding fierce momentum that is almost tangible. Knights that should have been long archived in history pages just popped out before me. 

What should I make of this situation? Is this some kind of cosplay?

My posthumous situation that I’m still ambivalent about and their ready to pierce me aura, don’t know what for, made me quietly shove that doubt aside and cull all instinct to rapid fire them all my confusion and unfairness.

I don't want to die yet again. They almost look eager for me to do something so that they can pull out their sword. Look, how their sword hand twitches to every clank of my cuffs. What are they even wary of me for? Or more in fact, this battered body that is unfortunately now mine.

The two who opened the door eventually joined the other two and they all stood still, sword ready, barring the door. That’s it. They stood like that, eyeing me like I'm a monster ready to pounce. So, I too stared at them without breaking eye contact. No, it’s definitely not because I’m too afraid to open my mouth. I swear on my black hair.

“….….”

“….….”

Suddenly, with the loud clanking of their spears, they marched and stood in rows of two at either side of the iron door like awaiting some visitor. Now that I could see the stretch of the passage behind them, the reality felt more ridiculous. The light that almost blinded me came from the series of perched wooden torches on the cavern walls; their shadows elongating creepily along the semi-domed ceiling. The crackling sound of fire, a tiny solace in this heavy silence and a distraction to my ever growing confusion.

Where the hell am I ?  

As I was pondering mindlessly, my ears perked up at a sound that pierced the thickening silence. The rustling footsteps felt like requiem along the dripping water and crackling embers. The knights tensed their shoulders and gripped their spears straight. It all felt like a prelude to a death knell ready to send me off of this short taste at life. Haha, how can it be? I can't be that unlucky right? 

As the figure rounded the corner, I could finally see the one that made even these fearful knights tense. What caught my eyes first was his auburn lion’s mane flowing down his shoulders like a river of fire. The sparkling embers looked to be pitifully bowing due to their perched incline and even seemed to burn brightly with each of his echoing steps almost like a devotee ecstatic upon gazing at their god. No, the torches are literally flaming bigger as he moves each step or am I seeing things? 

The pulled up bangs lead sight to a clean forehead and arched eyebrows full of authority. The refined nose and the fuller lips that are slightly arched upwards in a warm tone sat upon a sharp jawline. It’s a majestic welcoming face. But the minute I met his piercing blue eyes, a shiver ran down my spine. I felt the wraithlike maws of death gnawing at my throat. The tangible hatred made it hard for me to breathe. So I gasped for air. I tried to;

But I couldn't open my mouth or even move a muscle. The killing intent, like the probing paws of a predator on a caught prey, faded in a few breath’s time. But I still couldn't control my body. Panic stormed my mind while my face gazed upon the man calm without waves. The knight’s orderly salutes upon his arrival seemed distant to my raging mind. The man said something to the knights but it all felt muffled. What’s these absurd situations I keep finding myself in? 

The man, after giving some instructions to the knights, soon set his eyes upon me. The polite perk of the lips distorted into a sneer full of ridicule and hatred. He radiated pure disdain, like looking at a filth, painting his cold blue eyes with mock and anger. Under the foliage of emotions, surprisingly, there’s also this hint of fear.  

“Ezlian”

A charming voice echoed in the dreadful dungeon announcing a name but I didn’t have enough sense to dwell in the beauty of it. My mind, not in my will, repeated the name like a ghostly apparition. Then, like a trigger, emotions that aren't mine assaulted me like a hammer to an anvil. The pain, blinding me of reality, drilled me unfamiliar feelings into my brain- sorrow, guilt, anger, unfairness, hurt and  helplessness; these all like the size of fishes flapping but mostly resignation, like a sea submerging and numbing them all painting a calm waveless facade to the outer. 

“No, should I call you The SoulRipper?”

“......”

The man didn’t mind my silence and continued like he expected me to be like that. Whatever emotions he had on his face disappeared like a mirage. He set me in a chilling stare and coldly read the next words.

“Ezlian, as a prince of this kingdom I’m hereby given authority to escort you to fulfill the verdict for your crimes”

The man, no, the prince dropped those shocking news and casually gesticulated the knights behind with a sharp jerk of his chin. All the strange emotions swirling in my mind stopped like radio on pause and faded into a buzzing hum; but still there, only lurking. My mind gained enough peace to tether to reality. What are these emotions?

As I reeled from all the absurd things, one of the knights moved and took a weird artifact from his waist and inserted it into a hexagonal space right above where my chains were secured to the wall. It merged fluidly and hummed in rhythm. Along each rhythm, the whole dungeon seemed to be washed over by a wave or more like unshackled of whatever layers of security etched here. How do I know?  Because with each wave, my body seemed to feel lighter. These formations seemed to have been draining the power of the prisoner inside. Along with the body’s power, my excitement too welled up seeing the unbelievable. It’s magic! Or maybe advanced tech?  Whatever it is, this is definitely a fantasy world ! So transmigration? Am I experiencing the cliche now?

But why am I so unlucky to transmigrate into a prisoner?  That too only the back seat, not the driver's seat !?  I can feel everything that is happening inside of me but I felt like a ghost trapped without being able to control my body. Maybe I am. I died already so I’m technically a ghost. I just…feel sad having served a feast of life after death but only got to taste a bit. Seriously, am I going to be trapped here inside this Ezlian? Not that I'm complaining; half life is better than being dead. Anyways, so are those emotions his? What’s his story? He doesn’t feel like a criminal but more like a victim. But what will happen now? Where are they taking him? Ah! It's so exciting, like watching a thriller movie in 4D . A bucket of popcorn would be perfect!

Now that I’m sure this situation has nothing to do with me, I’ll just enjoy this thrill ride. Pardon my intrusion Mr. Ezlian. You see, I ain’t at fault for invading your privacy. While I’m having these pointless monologues, the knights finished unshackling the chains from the wall. While all this is happening, the body, no, Ezlian just leaned against the wall and half-closed his eyes like someone resigned to fate. The prince just stood there, in all his princely demeanor, watching him and shooting cold lasers from his eyes. 

““It’s completed sir!””

The knights saluted in group to which the prince gave a slight nod gesturing to proceed with the rest.

“Escort the criminal”

““Yes sir!””

He gave one last look to Ezlian then sharply turned around and stepped out of the dungeon.

Two knights flanked either side of Ezlian and moved down to drag him out. Ezlian jerked his, now uncuffed and loosely hanging, chains sharply making the knights tense and pause. Though they looked eager to drag him out embarrassingly, they didn't force him and allowed him to stand up on his own stumbling and swaying. Is it fear or schadenfreude? 

After he stood up with the help of the wall, he took some seconds and soon straightened his posture and walked towards the gate. As he moved to step outside, a knight guarding the door blocked him with the spear. Ezlian slowly turned his head and gave him a stare; surprisingly, making the knight slightly flinch. Then as though embarrassed, the knight coughed slightly and straightened his shoulders regaining his momentum. He took some Onyx stone with glowing purple carvings and placed it over the cuffed wrist rings. The stone degenerated into tiny purple firefly like entities and seeped into the chains. Then I felt the body sag in pressure as though the brief freedom I had was an illusion.

As I was mesmerized at the phenomenon, my eyesight suddenly stumbled due to the sharp tug of the chain. When Ezlian moved his head to stare at the source, I could see the knight smirking mockingly, seeming to gain whatever pride he had lost before.

"Just checking if the chains are secured tightly"

*Bang*

"What are you dawdling? Move on!"

The knight at the back shoved Ezlian with his shield causing him to fall to the ground. A laughter could be heard. But Ezlian just numbly got back up and blankly dusted himself then walked out dragging the heavy chains. The laughter stopped. The knights soon erased their expressions and followed him side by side escorting robotically. 

For a while, the only sounds echoing in the dreadful underground passage were the boots clicking rhythmically, torches crackling and chains dragging. Soon we arrived at the steep stone stairs. Ezlian paused a bit as if catching a breath and started climbing with the clanking of chains each step.

Is this how it feels when someone does the work for you while you lazily lounge.

As the knights opened the door at the end, a light more blinding then the torches assaulted me almost making me tumble back down the stairs. Should I be glad I'm not in control of the body?

As the eyes adjusted, I could see a vast expanse of clear sky bright with mid-day light. It's hue, a sandy brown almost mirroring the vast wastelands stretching below. The pitifully small weeds swayed gently in the hot breeze almost like seeing off their cohabitant a longing goodbye.

Though a wasteland, seeing the sky scattered with cawing crows and breathing a fresh breath of air, though a little sandy, energized me after staying in that musty dungeon. I feel like I'm full of life. Let's go! Wherever it is, I'll face any challenge this fate..can... throw.... me..

All my enthusiasm shrunk like a lie when Ezlian turned around and faced the prince glaring at me; the terribly cooled down eyes giving me a cold chill even with the hot wind blowing down the face.

"We are running late"

"We are sorry sir, the prisoner didn't cooperate"

One of the knights blatantly lied to the hissed words further aggresing the intense glare sent my way.

"......"

As Ezlian just stared at the distant clouds and the cawing crows with oozing disinterest for the glaring prince, he let out a sigh as if lamenting what's the point in wasting his emotions, then turned around leaving behind an order in a cold voice.

"Drag him then"

""Yes sir!""

Only now, away from the eyes of that fiery mass of hatred, that I noticed a runic platform spanning a few feets radius emitting a silvery gleam and reflecting the sandy clouds above. 

The prince climbed on and stood in the middle. Soon the knights dragged Ezlian by his chains onto the platform. As the head tilted below, I could see red eyes staring at me glowing fiercely from the gaps of white bangs of hair; it's contrast, a terror well made. Only after a moment that I realized, oh it's me! Or more in fact, Ezlian!

Though a bit scary, it's a really handsome face that oozes beauty even in this battered state. As I stared, the face reflected suddenly dissolved like a ripple. Soon the whole platform seemed to be turned into a gooey jelly, but our stance never faltered.

I didn't even have time to let a silent scream inside my mind as our feet sinked down  followed by our whole body. Give me some warning gahhhhhh….!

………..

Only a black footed ferret poked its head out the burrow and tilted its head curiously wondering where the two legged monsters suddenly disappeared. It soon burrowed back into its hole when another two legged monster came near. 

The guard collected the now shrunken portal and trudged his way back to resume his duty casually glancing at some swaying tail down a hole.

'Cute tail. One day I'll definitely catch one of these fluffy ferrets and make it a pet. Guarding the prison in these wastelands is as boring as it can get' . Muttering his laments, he soon walked away and disappeared beyond the gates.

…….

Only the cawing crows circled the sky of the now empty desert. 

 

3