Epilogue
20 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Many years ago, a young wolf woke up lying on a rock in the middle of a forest.  When she had fallen asleep, she had been looking at the moon through a gap in the trees, but now she was seeing the sun instead.

“Well,” she said.  “I was hoping I could say ‘good morning’ to you, but I guess you don’t really do that.”  She thought for a second.  “Actually, I guess you’re still there even if I can’t see you, huh?  So I’ll say it anyway.  Good morning, moon.”

The wolf got to her feet, though it was a struggle.  Her left arm was stinging; she assumed she must have broken it during the fall the previous night.

“My arm hurts a lot,” she said, “but I gotta get home.  It’s okay.  I can’t let something like this stop me if I want to find my way to you.”

As she started walking through the forest back to her town, she thought through everything it might mean to finally reach the moon.  She had only just started seriously considering the idea, after all.  She had a lot of catching up to do.

“I might fly to you,” she said.  “Or build a really tall tower.  Or maybe I could get in a cannon and blast my way to you.  And then, when I get to you, we’ll, uh…”  She thought for a second.  “Actually, what would we do after that?  I didn’t think that far ahead, yet.”

The wolf thought to herself for a minute.

“Well, we could play games,” she said.  “Although you’re pretty big compared to me, so I don’t know how well that would work.  We could… I guess we could… Oh!”  She looked up, even though she knew the moon wouldn’t be visible right now.  “If I can make it all the way to you, why should we stop there?  There are all sorts of other places we could go after that, if we can even make it that far.  We could go see other moons!  Or other planets, or stars!  I bet a lot of them are lonely, too.”

The wolf hummed to herself, having fun imagining all the adventures she and the moon could go on.

“But if you just wanted to spend some quiet time where you are, that’s okay, too,” the wolf said.  “After all, maybe there’s a reason you prefer it in the sky.  I don’t know.  I’d like to know.  I’d like to know anything you’d like to tell me.”

She wagged her tail.  “I think I’d be happy, no matter what we do.  I’m just really excited to get to meet you and learn who you are.”

2