Chapter 39: Old Contrasts
1.6k 3 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Do you remember when we used to fight with wooden swords as children?" the brunette girl asks.
"Yes, we always ended up covered in bruises," the blonde replies.

Rero Sansanti, with her brown hair and emerald green eyes, presents herself gracefully wielding the training sword.
In front of her is Luysia Camclair, with her flowing blonde hair and eyes as blue as the sky.
The two women engage in a fierce fencing match, friendly only in name.

Since childhood, a deep rivalry has characterized the relationship between Rero and Luysia.
The spark of competition has always burned intensely between them, but more so for Rero than for Luysia.
Sansanti, based on her lineage from a renowned Ventures family, was supposed to become the star of the new generation on paper.
However, as they grew up, Luysia's superiority became undeniable, while Rero's light dimmed more and more.

The clang of metal colliding resonates in the air as their blades clash with calculated precision.

"I've never won. Not even once," Rero says gloomily.
"Is that why you distanced yourself from me?" Luysia inquires.
"I couldn't bear your sense of superiority."
"Was your pride preventing you from being happy for me when I was chosen by the church?" the blonde reproaches.
"Watching you and being close to you was like constantly realizing my inadequacy," the brunette lowers her gaze.

Their training swords cross paths again in the academy's training hall.

"You were my only friend. You have no idea how lonely I felt in the church," Luysia tells her.
"I couldn't be your friend. I had to try to be worthy of the Sansanti name."
"That doesn't make sense..."

"What is a firefly compared to the full moon? The only way to shine was to distance myself from the light." Rero's expression as she says what she has never been able to tell Luysia is filled with shame and bitterness.
Luysia lowers her gaze.

"It's strange; I always thought you were the one shining," she says to the brunette.
Rero is taken aback by this revelation. "Why is that? You excelled in everything... You were chosen by the clergy to become a paladin!"

"I was a raggedy orphan, alone, while you had a wealthy family that provided everything for you." Luysia's gaze is icy, but Rero can see the sadness in her eyes.
"I saw you carefree, with joyful cheer, while I had to work twice as hard just to get my daily ration at the orphanage," Luysia continues.
Rero wants to retort, but faced with Luysia's perspective, she wouldn't know how to do it without appearing pathetic.

Instead, to give voice to her frustration, she advances with a thrust of her sword. With a twirl, Luysia deflects the attack, then swiftly counterattacks. Rero dodges by moving to the side, then delivers a sharp blow with her weapon to Luysia's sword, sending it backward.

"Perhaps from the outside, my life seemed perfect. Money and an influential family in the background. In reality, once my rank was revealed, all of this became a facade," Rero almost screams as she gives voice to her thoughts.
"At least you have a family, even if it's fake. I never knew my father, and my mother died insane and poor," Luysia responds.

Rero is aware of the rumors that her mother was the lover of an important clergy member, only to be disowned and abandoned once the pregnancy was discovered. "A family that despises you and doesn't love you isn't better than having no family at all."
"Hate is better than indifference... and better than loneliness!" Luysia retorts.

*CLANG*

The metallic sound of swords clashing fills the empty gym.
While their weapons are locked in a cross, their gazes are fixed on each other.

"You can be alone even surrounded by people if they see you as a failure," Rero says through gritted teeth.
"If you know how much it hurts, then why did you abandon me? Do you think I'm the reason you're a failure?" the blonde retorts.

They both step back, returning to a studying stance.

"You're right, I was jealous. Envious of your rank. Envious of your abilities," admits Rero.
"Now I realize my stupidity. I wore a mask for too long trying to hide my insecurities," the girl continues.
"Can we try to understand each other?"
"I begged for your help while Strauss tortured me," Luysia tells her harshly.
"I know you suffered, but we wanted to free you, just as he freed me. Thanks to that man, I understood my purpose. To be by his side. I believe you understood it too."

"I hate him. He's a monster, a being that cannot be redeemed. And now so am I." The blonde grits her teeth, almost desperate.
Luysia reflects on the fact that she had to renounce the gods, Chand, and everything she believed in.
This has cost her a lot.
Now she is a fallen paladin, excommunicated by the church, branded as a heretic, and deprived of some of her powers.
In this abyss of darkness where Strauss Wagner made her sink, she has found new strength and abilities.
She has become the oathbreaker, the perjured paladin who breaks the chains of hypocrisy.

"Didn't you yourself say that hatred is better than indifference and loneliness?" Rero points out.

Luysia hesitates.
Then she nods.
"I said it. The truth is, despite the hatred and fear, I'm not alone anymore." Luysia manages a sad smile.
Rero responds with a warmer smile.

The blades dance again in the air, performing a choreography that tells a tale of resentment, broken friendship, and new opportunities.
"I don't know if we can go back to being friends like before," Luysia says with a touch of melancholy, "but maybe we can find a new balance." Rero, with an intense gaze, replies, "Perhaps it's time to let go of the past and look to the future."

Luysia stops and lowers her sword.
Luysia reflects silently on these words.

"Do you love him?" Luysia asks Rero.

"With all my heart," the brunette replies without hesitation.

"Doesn't it bother you that he has sex and sleeps with other women?"

"At first, I couldn't stand the idea... but after he did it with you, I realized that Strauss is a savior. Other women lost like I was need to be saved," Rero asserts.

"Do you want him to corrupt other women?"

"Yes, because in this corruption, I found my happiness. I'm convinced that deep down, you feel the same way."

"It's a twisted love... you know that?"

"I can't aspire to anything better. I have a purpose, I have power, and I have love, however perverted and distorted it may be," Rero states sincerely.

Rero approaches Luysia.
"Will you help me fulfill the aspirations of the man I love?" she asks, extending her hand.

Luysia looks into Rero's eyes.
She sees sincere determination and a warmth that the blonde has always longed for.

Luysia Camclair, the broken woman, is slowly piecing herself back together in a different form.
Twisted, sick, deviated, but at least happy, and no longer alone.

Luysia clasps Rero's hand.

"I will help you."

50