Chapter 48: Candles Ritual
1.3k 9 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frenzy.
Kanna opens every drawer and cabinet in her apartment at the academy.
She retrieves candles, matches, mosquito coils, incense—anything that might be useful.
Then, she throws them onto the floor.

She has already cleared a space in the center of the room by moving the tea table and chairs against the walls.
Deedee watches with concern as Kanna frantically moves about.
She knows the frenzy is justified by the dangerous situation, but she has never seen her friend Kanna Merfal in such a panic before.

Kanna then begins to carefully position the various flammable sources on the floor of the room, forming a magical circle with a religious precision.
One by one, she ignites them using a lighter.
She takes her place at the center of the magical circle and bows on her knees.

"Deedee, please turn off the lights. There should be no sources of electric light during the ritual. Only those I have lit with fire," orders the professor.

The detective doesn't need to be told twice and turns off all artificial lights.

Now, the room is solely illuminated by the light of the candles and incense, ignited by the cleric.

Kanna clasps her hands in prayer, commencing the chant.

"O Chand, with candles, we implore,
In your radiance, we explore,
Bless us, guard us evermore,
Darkness flees when you restore."

While the words echo in the room, the flickering flames cast shadows on the walls.
Kanna's eyes are closed, yet it's as if they are wide open.
Deedee can't rationally explain this vision.
The woman with black hair continues to pray.

"In the glow of Chand, our candles alight,
Guiding us through the veil of the night.
Bless us, O deity, with your sacred flame,
In your radiance, we invoke your name."

The air in the room feels charged, and the scent of incense is thick.
Kanna's voice resonates, carrying with it a sense of urgency and devotion.
The magical circle on the floor seems to glow faintly, as if responding to an invisible force.

"Circle of fire on the hallowed ground,
A shield against evil, powerful and profound.
Darkness shall flee as your light is restored,
In this sacred space, let our fate be explored."

The chant intensifies, becoming a rhythmic hum that reverberates in the confined space of the room.
Deedee senses a subtle shift in the atmosphere, a momentary pause hanging in the air.
Tears, like luminous sparks, descend from the closed eyes of the cleric.

The flames of the candles appear almost motionless, their flickering subdued.
The smoke from the incense weaves ethereal patterns in the air.

Deedee can sense an ethereal presence in the room.
It envelops them with its warmth.
Kanna remains motionless in the prayer position, almost not breathing.

The detective knows that this ritual requires quite some time.
There's nothing more insidious than curses, the perverse and malevolent weapons demons created to challenge the gods.
Identifying them isn't easy. It would be simpler if they knew which curse to look for.
This is a reverse process where the soul and body are scrutinized.

Deedee is a hunter.
She can't help but chase her prey at any cost.
Nevertheless, she can't help but feel bad for her friend.
She seems genuinely in love with that bastard. It must be tough for her.
It's for the woman's own good. She's aware of that. But she still feels guilty.
What a messed-up situation.
Deedee swears she'll make that bastard pay.

*CLAP*

The cleric claps her hands suddenly.
She casts a spell.

[SEEK CURSE]

The flames of the candles intensify.
The woman returns her hands to the prayer position.

Kanna mutters incomprehensible words while continuing to pray.

The prayer continues for hours.

The candles, initially whole, are now less than half their height.
The scent of incense and mosquito coils has made the air almost unbearable.
Deedee would like to open the windows to let in fresh air, but she knows she has to wait for the end of the ritual.

The professor, motionless in her prayer position, continues to delve.
The incomprehensible words she sings resonate alien and distant in Deedee's ears.

"Oh, Chand, with candles, we implore,
Your radiant presence we deeply adore.
Guide us through this mystical chore,
Illuminate the path, let curses no more."

Then, as Kanna concludes the chant, a solemn silence descends.
The enveloping warmth Deedee had sensed vanishes suddenly, replaced by an unnatural chill.

The tension is palpable as Kanna rises from the prayer position, her eyes searching for signs of the ritual's success.
Deedee holds her breath, awaiting the outcome.

Kanna takes a deep breath and exhales slowly.
A mix of relief and disappointment is evident in her expression.

She shakes her head, indicating the absence of any cursed presence.

Suddenly, the candles go out, plunging the room into complete darkness.

"Deedee, turn on the lights," her friend requests.
"Right away, buddy."

Light returns to the apartment after the detective flips the switch.
After hours in candlelight, her eyes struggle to readjust to the intensity of artificial light.

Kanna Merfal looks distraught.
Is she cursed?

"Buddy, did you find any curses on you?"

Kanna, exhausted, responds to Deedee. "It seems there are no curses on me," she says, her voice tired.

"How is that possible..."
The detective scratches her green hair, trying to understand why her theory didn't hold true.
Perplexity lasts only a few seconds.
Deedee notices that something is wrong with her friend.
"Why are you upset, then?"

"It's hard to explain... it's as if Chand despises me. She responded coldly to my prayers..."

Deedee can't claim to be very devout.
She struggles to understand what her friend is telling her.
"Aren't you a devoted cleric of Chand?" she asks, puzzled.

"It's as if my soul is corrupted in her eyes..."
"Corruption? But you're not cursed, right?"

"The ritual didn't detect any curses," confirms Kanna.

Deedee reflects.
On one hand, it's positive that her friend is not in danger, but this leaves her without concrete evidence to accuse Strauss Wagner.
She could really smokes a fucking cigarette right now.
The smoke from the extinguished candles vaguely reminds her of the sensation.
She decides to open a window to ventilate the room.

She takes a deep breath.

"Well, he wouldn't be so foolish as to curse an expert in curses," she thinks aloud.

"Deedee, you might be wrong..." the professor replies, still uncertain about the man.

"I want to talk to him," asserts the determined policewoman.
It's time to confront the bastard.
She will extract the truth from his mouth, no matter how.
She is sure she will make the alchemist talk.

"I can call him," Kanna says, reaching for her smartphone.

"Stop!" Deedee interrupts, "I'd prefer you not to have any contact with him until I've established his guilt."

"Or innocence. Your speculations have no concrete evidence to support them."

"The same thing the boss told me before suspending me. Do you think that stopped me, buddy?" she challenges, looking at her defiantly.

"I won't forgive you if you harm him. He's innocent until proven guilty." Of course, as a woman in love, she wants to trust him.

"I'm not a guarantor, buddy. And didn't you say your soul is corrupted? He might be the one who did it."

"I-I didn't say that," Kanna hesitates.

"Could it be that the goddess isn't pleased with my actions..."

"Is Chand upset because you had sex, buddy? Is she that narrow-minded? I don't recall you taking a vow of chastity."

"A-at this moment–" Kanna doesn't finish the sentence.
She faints to the ground, exhausted.

"Kanna!" Deedee shouts, rushing to the professor.
She lifts Kanna's head.

Kanna regains consciousness immediately.
"I-I'm just very tired..." she tries to reassure, struggling.

"Now you need to rest. We'll talk tomorrow morning."
Deedee would like to dive straight into the investigation, but she can't leave her friend now.

 

 

40