Chapter 53: Checkmate
1.1k 3 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moon appears larger than usual.
The color is slightly pinkish, an unnatural look.

Despite the absence of clouds, the sky flickers.
Thunder without sound.
All of this is strange, as if the gods are setting the stage for the battle of my subjugation.

I raise my cursed mace to the sky, as if inviting them to do their worst.
If I have to perish, then I will do so in the most arrogant way possible.
But today is not that day.
I will extract and crush the [HEROIC SEED] from the detective, just as I did with Luysia.

The school roof is shrouded in darkness, only illuminated by the flames spreading from the building below.
The night wind howls, carrying with it the smoke billowing from the broken windows on the lower floors.

Our pursuers don't keep us waiting.

The door to the stairs opens.
Guli peeks from the threshold.
A rain of Kunai overwhelms him entirely.
Bicrista, without wasting a second, took advantage of her advantageous position and threw four Kunai.
All hit the giant. Unfortunately, they didn't hit vital points.
Two hit the right arm with which he shielded himself. One hit his left thigh, the last one hit the right knee.
They expected it, as the barbarian is playing the role of a battering ram for breakthrough and a human shield.

While behind him, the Ranger nocks the arrow.
She releases it.
The arrow hits Bicrista in the right shoulder.
I immediately cast [MINOR HEAL] on the assassin.
"Bicrista, cast [SHADOW SHADING] on the Ranger!" I order.
[SHADOW SHADING] is a spell that creates a cloak of darkness, an unnatural darkness, in a limited area, making visibility difficult for those inside.

The assassin obeys my command and casts the spell, not before the Ranger rapidly shoots a series of arrows.

[CREATE ELDRITCH TENTACLE]
[CREATE ELDRITCH TENTACLE]

I summon two tentacles with a diameter of about one meter to protect both Bricrista and me.
The tentacles intercept the arrows, shielding us from the detective's attack.
Despite the arrows being enhanced by the [ENHANCE PENETRATION] spell previously cast by Deedee, the tentacles have resistance to penetration damage.
Although the damage is minimal due to the ability's passive, I feel physical pain without experiencing actual harm.
It hurts.
Thanks to these tentacles, the battle has now become a four versus two.
We have the numerical advantage, but summoning the tentacles has cost me a significant amount of MP, and as long as I wield the mace, my MP is also my life points. If they reach zero, it's game over for me.

The cloak of darkness has enveloped the entrance to the roof.
Deedee shoots arrows blindly, lacking visibility and missing both us and the tentacles.

With a thought, I move the tentacles toward the door.
The two enemies separate in search of cover.
Deedee goes to the right, taking cover behind a maintenance shed.
Guli goes to the left, charging toward Bicrista.

I send a tentacle to intercept the barbarian.
The barbarian shakes his spiked clubs, hitting the tentacle directly.
The tentacle doesn't budge, but I feel the pain from the clubs.
It's an imperfect power, but it's what I have at my disposal.

I make the tentacle respond with a whip-like motion that pushes the barbarian backward.
Unfortunately, the tentacle's strength is equivalent to mine at Level 2, and it's not very impressive.
Guli embraces the tentacle, trying to subdue it.

Suddenly, an arrow comes at me.
The tentacle to the right intercepts it.
*Twack*
I feel the pain from the tentacle, dampened by its resistance to penetration.

"How do you explain the tentacles, motherfucker?" Detective Lang taunts me, having forced me to reveal the powers of this cursed mace.

"It's a long story, Detective Lang. Interested?" I respond sarcastically.

"Actually, not really, motherfucker," she retorts with an insult, nocking another arrow.

I can't control both tentacles simultaneously if my enemies are divided.
I need to focus on the policewoman.
I let the left tentacle operate in automatic mode.

"Strauss, I'll handle the giant," Bicrista warns me as she licks her kitchen knife.
I nod.
The silver-haired woman lunges at the giant with acrobatics.
Together with the tentacle, they should keep the big man at bay for a while.

I turn to Deedee.
Our situation is at a standstill.
Thanks to the tentacle, I can protect myself from the arrows. I can use it as a shield.
If she exposes herself too much from her cover, I can encircle her while she's distracted by the tentacle.
Alternatively, the tentacle can sneak up on her from behind while she's focused on me.

This is the ideal moment for some small talk.
I am the villain and cannot resist this fatal flaw, I ironically think.
I smile.

"I'm curious, Detective. Would you accept my surrender if I offered it?" I provoke her.

"Too late, Wagner. You should have talked when I gave you the chance, you son of a bitch."
She seems determined to eliminate me. Is it only because of the [HEROIC SEED], or is it her genuine desire?

"Let's face it, you hoped it would end like this. You never considered taking me alive." I assert, trying to find confirmation for my assumptions.

"It's better to make sure a monster like you disappears forever. The justice system wouldn't be able to handle you." She confirms through clenched teeth.

"I'm against incarnate justice then. Interesting, I've always wanted to ask why the world was so unjust." I respond sarcastically.

"Hahah... Now you would be a fucking revolutionary, coming from the sky to change the rules and improve society. Don't make me laugh, you damn megalomaniac." She chuckles at the absurdity, according to her, of what I said.

"So it's right for a god to decide who should live or die?"
From my perspective, the fact that gods and the church play a significant role in mortal affairs violates any conception or rhetoric of a civilized system of law.

"Better a fucking god than a demon!"
Of course, she's on the side of the "good guys". The "right" side.

"What would be the difference? I'm curious, Lang." I really want to know it.

"Do you think you're gaining time by philosophizing, you son of a bitch?"
For the huntress, there's no room for doubt or for asking more complex questions.

"No, I was just curious to know your perspective. Judging by the way you speak, you didn't seem very devout." I point out the hypocrisy.

"That's true! Let's say Chand and I have a common purpose at the moment." She responds with a smirk.

"I would say instead that the master has pointed you to which bone to pick, freeing you from any responsibility, isn't that right, hound? It's easier for you this way. What you need is a master."
I'm starting to size up the woman. She's a lioness but she needs the dominant alpha.

"Do you think you know me, bastard? Do you think you can manipulate me like you did with Kanna?"
Deedee Lang believes herself to be smarter than the professor.
She thinks she won't fall at my feet.
She thinks she's the predator. They always do.

"I gave Kanna what she wanted; I can give it to you too," I say sincerely.

"You're a fucking braggart!"
The enraged woman shoots an arrow.
The arrow embeds itself in the tentacle.
I feel the pain, but I don't show it.
I persist with words.

"It might be. But then why does even the gods want to kill me? Are the gods afraid of Strauss Wagner? Will it be their end if I survive? It could be interesting. After all, I have a lot to reproach them for. Not a bad dream: destroying the pantheon. What do you think?"
I propose the crazy idea forming in my head.
All of this to provoke her.

"Megalomaniac bastard! I absolutely have to kill you."
The woman proceeds to shoot more arrows.
Always in vain.
The tentacle shields me, blocking them.

In the meantime, the battle between Bicrista and the barbarian is ongoing.
Thanks to her speed and the enhancement from my seed, the woman manages to evade Guli's attacks.
Despite the numerical advantage, the tentacle and the woman still can't overpower the man.
They can't deal him enough damage.
In particular, the tentacle has taken quite a beating, which I constantly feel.

But that's what I want.

I cast [MINOR HEAL] on both Bicrista and the tentacle.

Bicrista jumps backward, avoiding another lunge.
She lands on the man's back.
She clings to the giant and stabs.
Stabs. Stabs. Stabs.
In the areas not covered by armor and helmet.
"UARRAAGHH! Ugly whore!" the barbarian curses in pain.

With superhuman effort, Guli reaches backward and forcefully throws the assassin forward.
I make an effort to catch her in mid-air with the tentacle.
The tentacle grabs the girl before she falls to the ground, assisted by its suckers.

Bicrista blows me a kiss with her hands.

Gulihelmus is on his feet but exhausted. He's panting.
He drinks a healing potion and throws the bottle to the ground in anger.

The battle is far from over.

Beneath the moon's haunting glow it begins,
Arrow of the Eternal, where destiny thins.
No refuge, no mercy, as shadows unfold,
Through the eternal forest, its tale is told.

The green-haired woman's chant brings me back to my own battle.
Deedee is preparing to cast a spell.

"The next shot will be the last, bastard. This arrow will follow you even beyond the grave! It can't be avoided in any way. It's my ultimate shot," she confidently warns me, revealing her intentions.

She has finally decided to use her trump card.

I have the assurance: the curse with which I cursed her when she hit me was ready for this moment.

Her golden aura shines to the fullest as ethereal green magical lights envelop her and her bow.

Guided by spirits, a dance of despair, 
Precision absolute, a hunter's prayer.
Within life's circle, the prey bows in strife,
Sacrifice echoes in the eternal forest's rife.

The woman is about to conclude the chant and unleash her ultimate spell.

"Deedee, can I call you that?" I ask, feeling quite familiar with the woman who passionately wants to kill me.

"Absolutely not, you bastard!" she denies me this familiarity while insulting me.

"I don't care. I feel that after this clash, we've become more acquainted, Deedee. Earlier on the lower floor, my intention was to kill you. The situation demanded it; it was chaotic, and it was either me or you. But it would have been a shame," I pause.

She doesn't attack me and waits for me to continue, despite having the arrow ready to be released.

"See, unlike you, I don't want you to die. Talking to you made me realize that I like you. I desire to possess you. I know, it's arrogant. But that's how I am. I want it all," I tell her sincerely.

"What the fuck are you saying, motherfucker?" she responds disgusted.

"Do you have enough hit points?" I ask her, instilling doubt.

"You should worry about your HP! When this arrow hits you, you son of a bitch, it will be instant death for you."

"Kanna explained to you what can be done with curses, didn't she?" I ask the obvious.

"You can't directly kill me with a curse, unless it's a contract," she confidently replies.

"Exactly, but you can be the one to kill yourself if you trigger the condition."
"What condition?!"

"In the moment you hit me with your most powerful attack, that damage will be completely reflected back onto you. It's a new curse, I've called it [DEATH REFLECTION]. Do you like it?"

"You're bluffing, you son of a bitch! I'm not falling for it!" the angry woman says so, but I know that doubt has taken root in her mind, as she hasn't released the arrow yet.

"Do you want a demonstration that I'm not lying? After all, you wanted me to confess what I can do with my powers. I believe you've earned at least this reward for your efforts."

She doesn't respond, doubtful.

"Do you care about your friend, the big man?"
I ask, pointing to the companion who is fighting with Bicrista and my tentacle.

"Guli?!" she exclaims, concerned.

"He has hit me several times in this fight. Both me and my tentacle. This has fulfilled the conditions for the activation of a curse. A curse that I have improved over time and is now version 2.0."
As I recount this, I can see terror painting itself on her face.

"Watch closely."

I snap my fingers.

[HIDAN'S CURSE 2.0]

I activate a magic circle on the giant's right leg.
Instantly, the knee of the giant gives in, and he falls to the ground.

"UARARRARAGGGHHH!" the man screams as if his leg had been broken.

Deedee's face turns into one of despair.
Bicrista quickly brings her knife to his throat.
I gesture for her not to kill him.
Not yet.

"Checkmate," I say, smirking.

"Bastard, what have you done to him?! Let him go!"

"I won, Deedee. I won the moment you decided to face me," I reveal the truth.

I snap my fingers again.
This time, the magic circle activates on the left arm.

"ARRARARGHHHH!" Guli clenches his now useless arm tightly.

Deedee, upon seeing the man, would like to be angry, but instead, bitter tears stream from her eyes.

At that moment, Rero and Luysia burst through the door with weapons drawn.
Shortly after, Kanna joins them on the roof.
We are all here for the final act.

"Strauss!" the professor shouts in desperation.

"You've won too, Deedee, because you forced me to reveal myself. I have to admit, I'm impressed," I say, smiling.

At that moment, the ground begins to shake.

42