Vol. 2 Chapter 58: Spider
1k 5 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*HRIEAK*

A real threat.
An eight-legged threat.

Through the dim light, I catch a glimpse of a massive and articulated silhouette emerging from the darkness.
The spider is gigantic, its body a blend of dark fur and chitinous segments. Its long, clawed legs move with agility and precision.
The monster scuttles with its eight legs, first to the right and then to the left.
The legs tap on the ground, creating a terrifying sound.
The swiftness of its movements leaves little room for hopes of escape.
The spider has spotted me and regards me as prey.

*HRIEAK*

The unsettling jaws open, and from them drips acidic liquid that is likely venomous.
The liquid touches the rock, and vapor rises into the air with a hiss.
The torch casts ghostly shadows on the cave walls, and the light reflects in the spider's eyes, making them gleam with an eerie glow.
I stand before this monstrous creature, and its growl echoes in the cave as a warning of imminent death.

It's so different from the experience I had in the simulated dungeon, where the monsters were merely puppets controlled by the Summoners. The sense of danger here, in this moment, is real.

I don't even move a muscle.
My eyes are fixed on the monster's numerous legs.
I am aware that with the slightest movement, the monster will attack.
This is its realm, and I am the intruder.
I activate my ability [SCAN EYE LV 3] to understand what I am about to face.

[[ SCAN TARGET >>>>> ]]

[[ WEB STALKER ]]
Age: 2
Level: 3
Family: Dungeon Monster
Race: Giant Spider
Subtype: Male Hunter /  Soldier
STATS
Maximum Hit Points: 240
Maximum Mana Points: 110
Strength: 16
Defense: 14
Agility: 18
Intelligence: 10

Description:
Weighing between 70 to 150 kg, and with a height of about five feet, these spiders can hunt any humanoid or animal, as well as other monsters of similar size to theirs. The spiders are equipped with venomous fangs, from which they can spray acid that aids in the digestion of their victims. To capture their prey, a giant spider weaves intricate webs or shoots sticky strands from its abdomen. These giant spiders can be found in dungeons in underground locations, building their shelters on ceilings or in dark, web-filled crevices. These shelters are often adorned with cocoons containing past victims. Although they are solitary hunters, living alone, there is always a Queen spider that lays the eggs of the most dominant males. Once mating is complete, the male is consumed and serves as nourishment for the Queen. A Queen can be up to three times the size of a male.

DETAILS >>>

Spoiler

RESISTANCES AND WEAKNESSES:
Cutting Damage: Moderate
Impact Damage: Moderate
Piercing Damage: Moderate
Fire: Weak
Poison: Immune

ABILITIES:

[DARK VISION]
Type: Passive.
Effect: The spider can see in darkness and shadow.

[CLIMB]
Type: Passive.
Effect: The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside-down ceilings.

[WEB SENSE]
Type: Passive.
Effect: While in contact with a web, the spider knows the exact location of any other creature in contact with the same web.

[WEB WALKER]
Type: Passive.
Effect: The spider can walk on webs without being slowed down and cannot be ensnared by them.

[WEB MAKER]
Target: Single (Point or Creature)
Effect: Creates a web on which it can walk or use it to move. The web can trap and slow the target.
Cost: 5 MP

[ACID SPURT]
Target: Multiple, Area of effect.
Effect: Sprays a stream of acid from its mouth in a forward cone of three meters, inflicting the negative status [ACID] (ACID: reduces defense by 2 points; every minute inflicts corrosion damage).
Base Damage: 10 / 60
Cost: 35 MP

[POISONOUS BITE]
Target: Single.
Effect: Attacks with its jaws injecting poison, adding the negative status [SPIDER POISON] (Poison every minute inflicts poisoning damage).
Base Damage: 70
Cost: 10 MP

[SHADOW STEP]
Target: Point.
Effect: Within a radius of 10 meters, can teleport to a visible point using the shadows.
Cost: 15 MP

[collapse]

This monster is rich in abilities, and this fact makes it highly problematic.
I'm envious, and I admit that I would like to possess those abilities myself.
When I think about it, in a way, the spider is a bit like my spirit animal.
Metaphorically speaking, we both employ similar strategies to hunt our prey.

But jokes aside, even though its statistics aren't impressive, it's precisely its abilities that can pose a challenge for me in such a confined and unfamiliar terrain. The spider can easily trap me with a web and devour me before I can free myself. Alternatively, it can spray acid on me, causing severe burn damage. I lack armor or an ability to protect me from its acid.

Furthermore, it can bite me, dealing significant physical damage and injecting poison.

Regarding the poison, if needed, I can access Luysia's spell, [PROTECTION FROM POISON], thanks to the [SHARE SKILL] ability of the contract. This spell instantly cures poisoning and provides protection against it. However, physical damage would still remain, and I don't have many hit points available at the moment. If I were to attempt to escape, the bastard would immediately catch up with me using the [SHADOW STEP] ability, and besides, I don't know the place like it does.
After all, this is its hunting ground.

*HRIEAK*

The giant spider nervously moves back and forth, feigning an attack.
I don't fall for its bluff and stay still, using my torch to illuminate and defend myself.
For a monster, it seems intelligent, and its fighting style is patient, ready to exploit my mistakes to strike lethally.
The flame of my torch is what's currently keeping it in a more defensive position.
The spider appears to be aware of its weakness, or perhaps it's just the animal instinct for self-preservation.

I quickly assess all possible scenarios in my mind.
Facing it head-on would be a fierce battle, consuming a significant portion of my resources, even though I'd likely emerge victorious in the end.
But I don't have to play by the rules.
It's not necessary for me to slog through the mud to achieve a victory that would deplete my precious resources.
All of this can end in an instant.

I cast [DEMONIC HOLD] on the giant spider, spending 15 MP.

Spoiler

[DEMONIC HOLD]
Mana Cost: Variable
Activation: Choose an amount of MP to spend on casting this spell. The amount of MP cannot exceed your current MP quantity.
Target: Single Target.
Effect: For each MP spent, paralyze a target for one second. Subtract the target's intelligence from the result. If the target's intelligence is higher than yours, divide the result by the target's intelligence.
WARNING: Any resistances or abilities may reduce or invalidate the result.

[collapse]

*HRIEAK?!*

I can feel the spider's terror as it suddenly becomes unable to move.
For five seconds, it can do nothing but witness its impending death.
I'm sorry, my friend, but like all the others before you who faced me thinking they were the predators, you're actually just my prey.
As long as you entertain me, I let you play, but then I flip the game board and assert my will.
I approach the paralyzed monster; its eight eyes are fixed on me.
Even monsters experience fear.
I take out my knife.

*HRIEAK?!*

The spider is aware of what is happening.
It would like to escape and retreat to its lair, surrounded by the protection of webs.
A high place where it would have the advantage, thanks to its abilities.
But today it made a fatal mistake.
It went against me.

*STAB*

I knife the monstrous head of the spider, piercing through its eyes and reaching the brain.
For safety, I plunge again and then once more.
Blood with a greenish color bursts from the wound along with pieces of brain matter.
I can't help but get dirty with the disgusting substance.
The lifeless eyes of the monster still gaze at me.

I pull the knife out again.
A spray of blood like an eruption bursts from the hole in its forehead.
The giant spider is dead.

[[ WEB STALKER Killed: 50 Exp Earned ]]

The effect of my demonic spell ends, and the monster collapses to the ground.
Unlike the summoned monsters in the artificial dungeon, real monsters don't disappear.
This way, their carcasses can be looted for resources.
At this moment, I'm thinking about something. Can I eat its flesh?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure.
I remember that in my previous life, in certain parts of the world, tarantulas were considered delicacies.
The idea disgusts me, but I might be compelled to do it.
Food is not the only thing I can recover from the carcass.
I can extract poison from the "meat" pouch in its fangs.
I make an incision and let the venomous liquid drip into an empty vial I had.

The most important thing I can recover from a monster is the Magicore, a sphere with multiple uses in magic and alchemy.
It seems that all dungeon monsters are equipped with it.
Using my knife, I dig behind the monster's head in the usual location.
After a few minutes, I finally find it.
A translucent sphere with a diameter of about four centimeters.
These spheres have a decent economic value, and I should collect as many as possible while I'm in this dungeon.
I tuck the Magicore into my bag.

As I contemplate whether to take the unappetizing-looking meat from the spider's corpse, I am brought back to reality by a distant scream.

"You sons of bitches won't have me alive!"
The scream comes from the direction I was heading.

"Help! Guli! Kanna! Fucking someone!"

I recognize that voice.

I rush towards the screams.

34