Vol. 2 Chapter 68: Water and “Food”
930 0 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rero Sansanti follows Kanna Merfal through the winding corridors of the dungeon, her mind tangled with thoughts about Strauss and Kanna.

Strauss seems to really like Kanna Merfal. He even went so far as to declare his love for her in front of everyone, on the school roof in that dangerous situation. Rero can't help but think about it. She wonders if he loves her in the same way. Rero shakes her head. She cannot doubt her Master. She cannot be jealous. She must make him happy. Rero tries to free her mind from these thoughts, and puts on a carefree air. Or rather, she forces herself to do so. She cannot be a burden. She cannot afford to be one anymore.

The sound of their shoes echoes against the damp walls of the cave, creating echoes that increase the eeriness of the dungeon. Rero, trying to distract herself, turns to Kanna.

"Kanna, you were a venture, right?"

"Yes, I was."

"So, you would have had equipment looted from a dungeon?"

Kanna shakes her head. The woman's answer is a mix of nostalgia and regret.
"No, unfortunately. When I closed that chapter of my life, I sold everything."

"What a pity, it would have been useful." Rero hides her disappointment behind a smile.

Kanna observes her, her expression reflecting curiosity.
"Didn't your family provide you with any equipment?" Kanna asks.

Rero laughs nervously.
"Uhm... They would never waste it on someone like me... ahahah," the brunette tries to brush it off as if it were a joke.

Then she lifts the sword she carries with her. "I can only afford what the academy provides me."

She performs a series of graceful movements with the blade. With the sword, she mimics a slash, then twirls the blade in the air, showing off her swordsmanship skills.

"I hate this junk... But unfortunately, I can't have anything better... hahaha." Rero chuckles, hiding her sense of inadequacy.

"You know," Kanna begins gently, "sometimes it's not the equipment you have, but the person who wields it. Skill and determination can make up for the shortcomings of the equipment."

Is Kanna trying to comfort her? She can't show weakness.
Rero nods, trying to mask her discomfort.
"Ahah... Professor, don't take me so seriously! I was just joking." Rero shows her best smile, bright but artificial.

"Thanks to Strauss, I have the power I needed, and even this junk can be useful," continues Rero, smiling, trying to convince herself more than Kanna.

Rero's words hang in the air, with a forced smile on her face, as she tries to convince herself that she is satisfied with her current situation. Deep down, however, she knows she desires more, longing for better equipment that matches her growing power. But for now, she has no choice but to make do with what she has.

"The Master-Servant contract," whispers Kanna.

"Strauss makes you strong, but I understand how you feel. The desire for better equipment is natural."

Rero's smile wavers, revealing a glimmer of vulnerability. "You... you understand?"

Kanna nods empathetically. "Yes, I understand. When I started venturing into dungeons, I had nothing but my own abilities to rely on. I had to work twice as hard to prove my worth compared to those who had better equipment."

Rero knows what it means to continually have to prove oneself and yet not succeed. She has spent her whole life trying to be recognized as a Sansanti.

"If you think about it, we should take advantage of this opportunity. After all, we are in a dungeon. We might find magical equipment," says Kanna in an encouraging tone.

The brunette with green eyes realizes that Kanna is trying to boost her morale. She spontaneously smiles, happy for the warmth shown by the professor. She begins to understand why Strauss might be fond of the mature woman.
The cleric almost seems like a maternal figure, inspiring trust and serenity in those around her.

"Yeah! Let's look for loot worthy of the name!" Rero raises her arm determinedly, smiling cheerfully.

Kanna nods.

Rero sheathes her blade and continues walking forward.

They explore together, their steps synchronized as they delve deeper into the dungeon in the direction of Strauss.

"I hear the sound of running water!" Rero announces, beginning to run in that direction.

They reach a wider and brighter cavern.
The cave's ceiling is overrun with luminescent fungi and lichens that illuminate like neon lights.
The cavern opens into a vast area, with a noisy underground river flowing.

Rero rushes to drink.

"Wait, Rero!" Kanna stops her.

"Jeez!" Rero huffs and then, with a surprised face, asks, "Why?"

"The water needs to be purified first. Do you have a container?"

Rero realizes the professor is right. She had been too hasty.
Rero has some empty vials with her that used to contain Strauss's potions.
She hands one to Kanna.

Kanna dips the vial into the river.
She pulls out the vial full of water.
The color isn't very inviting.
Kanna casts a spell on the vial.

[PURIFY]

Spoiler

[PURIFY]
Target: Single
Cost: 5 MP
Effect:
The target, if it is non-magical and not spoiled edible food or drink, is purified and rid of toxins and diseases. This spell can remove simple poisons and bacteria, but not poisons of magical origin or high level.

[collapse]

The water in the container magically becomes clear and crystal-like.

"Now you can drink it," Kanna says, handing her the vial.

Rero gulps down the water in the bottle. "Ahhh... It's so fresh and quenching!"

Kanna is pleased with the brunette's reaction.

"This reminds me of old times... Deedee hunted, I prepared the food, and Guli cooked. Ivanhold, well, he ate... and also lit the fire with his magic," Kanna reminisces.
She smiles, but then her expression turns somber.

Rero senses that the happy memory hides something painful.
She approaches the woman and places a hand on her shoulder.
Rero tries to convey warmth and closeness, taking liberties in her usual bulldozer manner.

Rero isn't very sharp in most things, but strangely, she is in these matters.
She senses that Kanna has lost someone, and she knows that feeling all too well.
She thinks back to Fierro, her brother, the only one in the family who was loving towards her before she met Strauss.
He was talented and incredible, but the dungeon can take away even the best.

Kanna appreciates Rero's gesture and smiles at her.

"Thank you, Rero."

"I told you, professor. You think too much!"

"You're right," she sighs and then, changing the subject, asks the brunette, "Do you have any more vials?"

Rero nods and pulls them out. "We should fill them up, also for Strauss," says Kanna.
"Good idea, he is very close. We should bring him some water."

They proceed to fill the vials with water and purify them.

Afterward, having marked the position of the river on a piece of paper on which they are drawing an improvised map, they continue their exploration, with Rero beginning to see Kanna not only as a figure of authority but as a companion in adventure and, perhaps, even as a friend.

After about another ten thousand steps, Rero has a fetish for counting them, and without encountering any adversity, they reach a cave, illuminated by a campfire.

Corpses of giant spiders are scattered all over the surface.

In front of the fire, there are familiar faces. The two hurry to reach the campfire.

Rero recognizes her friend Luysia, then a petite girl with silver hair who she thinks is named Bicrista.
She startles upon seeing the woman with green hair, the enemy who wanted to kill Strauss.
Immediately, she draws her sword, ready for the worst.

But there is Strauss, in front of the fire, shirtless, eating some oddly-looking meat.
He seems calm and not bothered by the proximity of the enemy who, until recently, would have done anything to kill him.

"Strauss!" Rero and Kanna exclaim almost simultaneously as they approach the group by the fire.

The man greets them with his charmingly roguish smile.

"Welcome, ladies, would you like some spider? Deedee cooked it," he says, pointing to the uninviting-looking meat cooking on an improvised spit.

34