Vol. 2 Chapter 81: Arach’Che’el
702 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we follow the dark elf guide, I can't help but think about the numerous stories I've read about dark elves.
They are known for their cunning and treachery, but also for their skills as disciplined and fierce warriors.
I have to keep reminding myself that our lives depend on the meeting with the queen.
Now I am more powerful than ever, thanks to my contracts, but I think the elves we have easily faced do not represent the real strength at the queen's disposal. After all, the Elfrider who was sent to us as a messenger displayed space-time magic, which is not within everyone's reach. Despite the distrust, I can't afford to be scared.
I have the responsibility for my women on my shoulders.

We continue to march through the dimly lit corridors, with the air dense with the smell of damp earth and the persistent stench of mold and fungi. The darkness seems to amplify the tension among us, and our footsteps echo eerily through all the rocky caverns.

The dark elf rider occasionally stops to check if we are keeping pace, his violet shining eyes scrutinizing each of us with the same cold intensity. It almost seems like he is evaluating us, planning his next move. I don't think he's foolish enough to try to attack us, but I still need to keep my eyes wide open to avoid any surprises.

We keep moving, the dark elves' spider mounts darting quickly through the labyrinth of tunnels.
They outrun us only to wait for us a little further ahead. It almost seems like they want to mock us, showing us that we are a burden they are dragging along.
They can play this game as much as they want. I'm not impressed.
In fact, I deliberately slow down my group's pace to annoy the elves and take the opportunity to check on Jarica's condition.
The woman is gradually recovering.

We walk for a long time in that thick darkness.
There's a heavy silence, broken only by the sound of our steps. A silence that contains the words we do not say, but our faces convey.
A silence that speaks of the uncertainty that lingers in the air.
This silence is then washed away by the sound of rushing water from an underground river that emerges from another cave into which we enter, continuing on the path set by the elves. The road we follow runs along this river, and it is likely that the river will lead us to the city.

On our way, we encounter giant spiders that watch us from an elevated position with their numerous eyes.
However, as if ordered, they watch us without attacking. I wonder if it's the presence of the dark elves or the will of the queen that keeps them at bay. I don't have enough information to formulate a theory, but I remain open to all possibilities.

Deedee is tense and continues to hold her bow ready.
The ranger acts as a lookout, ready to shoot arrows at the slightest danger. Her presence reassures me.
Welze and Rero giggle among themselves, pointing out the unusual wonders they notice within this rocky labyrinth.
Kanna is by my side. We haven't talked much, but between us, there is no need for many words. We have a great understanding.

The twins talk to each other, having much to catch up on, but I notice that their gaze is always attentive to their surroundings.
Luysia is lost in her thoughts, not a very sociable woman. Although her sword is in its sheath, her hand rests on the hilt.

Franz Dadref is unusually quiet for once, and I don't mind it.
His face is worried, and I think he has a hero complex. Indeed, I believe he is thinking about how to save the humans captured by the dark elves. At his level, anything he wants to do will be ineffective and will lead to his death, but as long as he doesn't bother me or put obstacles in my way, he can behave as he pleases.

In an underground place like this, it's not easy to measure time.
The battery of my smartphone died a long time ago, and although it wouldn't have been particularly useful in an environment without phone or internet service, knowing the time would have helped. I'll need to buy an analog watch if I get out of here.
Anyway, it feels like more than half a day has passed. We are tired and need to rest.
If they wanted to ambush us, this would be the perfect time, considering our fatigue.

Eventually, the river leads us to the entrance of an enormous cavern emanating blinding light, with its rock walls adorned with intricate carvings and spider silk tapestries depicting scenes of battle and triumph.

At both sides of the entrance stand two elven knights, with their giant spiders alongside.
They look at us with disdain but let us pass, aware of our arrival.

The realm of the dark elves is a world unto itself, with its own customs, language, and power structures.
We are strangers in this underground land. Therefore, what appears before our eyes once we cross the threshold leaves us speechless.

We enter the city of Arach'Che'el, the capital of the dark elf kingdom located in the depths of the Underealm.
The sight that meets my eyes is something extraordinarily alien, a blend of wonder and terror.

The city winds within a gigantic cavern, whose walls seem to pulse with their own life. The light, emanating from crystals embedded in the rock and luminous fungi, casts soft glows on the outlines of the buildings. These structures, carved directly from the rock, seem to grow from the ground like natural formations. Their facades are decorated with intricate bas-reliefs depicting scenes of hunting and daily life of the dark elves, whose ethereal figures dance among spider webs and dewdrops.

The inhabitants of Arach'Che'el gaze at me with eyes glittering with curiosity and distrust.
The dark elves, with their grayish-purple skin and silvery hair cascading over their shoulders, move with a grace that borders on the supernatural. They wear clothes that seem made of spider silk, shiny and light, perfectly fitting their slender bodies.
Some are armed, their weapons forged in dark metal and what appears to be silver that reflects light, giving them a menacing appearance.

Everywhere my gaze lands, I see references to giant spiders, creatures that the dark elves seem to venerate and idolize.
Massive statues of these monsters dominate the squares, with arched legs that appear ready to spring.
Silver spider webs decorate the ceilings of the houses and temples, a tribute to the arachnids that share this realm with the elves.

As we traverse the streets of Arach'Che'el, I notice the dark elves' incredible adaptability to their environment.
The bridges connecting various parts of the city are built to resemble spider webs but are surprisingly sturdy.
Dark water channels snake between the buildings, reflecting the light of fungi and crystals so that the entire city seems like a living organism.

The dark elf escorting us, in the unusual role of a tourist guide, explains that at the city's center stands the majestic palace of Queen Azharie Loree’Nahil. It is an architectural masterpiece, with towers rising upward like sharp spires and windows that resemble the eyes of a spider. The facade is decorated with precious stones that shine in the darkness, outlining a regal face in a mosaic of light and shadow.
The palace is surrounded by gardens of giant mushrooms and dark ponds, creating an atmosphere of unsettling beauty.

As we draw closer to the palace, traversing the city's streets with excitement, our apprehension grows. Each step I take echoes on the carved stone pavement, and the air is charged with an energy I can almost touch. My companions follow me in silence, equally captivated by the incredible scene unfolding before us.

The city is gray, decorated with muted and cold colors, occasionally interrupted by drapes of various shades of purple, which seems to be a recurrent color in the culture of the dark elves, along with the metal that appears to my untrained eyes as silver. Arach'Che'el is not very large compared to a metropolis like Neuesdorf, but its many intricate streets, web-like in their complexity, make traversing it long and involved.

Despite the eerie atmosphere, the place is teeming with life. There are shops, bars and inns, and the voices of the inhabitants fill the air with a constant and almost deafening buzz. We are all amazed, but the person whose eyes shine the brightest is undoubtedly Welze.
She has always been curious and eager for adventure, but her complexes and shyness have always held her back.
Being surrounded by many people and trusting me, she is fearless and can focus solely on her curiosity.

When we reach the imposing building, her excitement almost makes her skip.
Escorted by the elves, we pass through the finely decorated giant door that leads into the royal palace.

The queen's palace is a labyrinth of corridors and rooms, each decorated with luxury bordering on excess. The high ceilings are supported by columns carved in the shape of spider fangs, and the soft carpets on the floors appear to be made of arachnid fur. Every now and then, a dark elf observes us from the shadows, their gaze cold and impenetrable. Although not visibly present unless one looks closely, the building is clearly manned by a large contingent of guards. This sensation of being watched puts Deedee and Kanna on edge, and the two women look around worriedly.

I am relatively calm. I am increasingly convinced that this is not a trap and that the queen genuinely wants to talk to me. Perhaps it's a foolish thought, but I'm willing to take this risk. Not that I have many other alternatives now. I don't know what awaits us at the end of this journey, but one thing is certain: Arach'Che'el is a place I will never forget. It's hard to describe in words what my eyes have seen. A realm of darkness and beauty, where every corner hides a secret and every shadow may conceal a danger. One of the most memorable experiences of my second life.
And in this alien and fascinating world, I am about to meet the queen of the dark elves.

Spoiler

[collapse]

22