37: Banished Gods
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Network’s emotionless voice echos in Ke’an’s head and he could tell it is not a recording but the actual transcendent himself. “Administrator-13 the Tutorial Beta has begun the process of magic saturation…”

“What is going on, Network!” Ke’an yells. “What does that mean?” 

“The world level will be increased. I would refrain from touching anyone during the process.” Network says in his usual lifeless tone. “Once it is complete the world time will be reversed right before the mortal shut down.” Network sighs. “Before you ask, everyone will be fine, no one will be injured or killed in this process. Level increase will forcibly evolve everyone to an equivalent being that is compatible with the Tutorial Beta. This will allow everything to run smoothly without threats to further destabilize this reality.”

“Okay. So why am I still awake then.” Ke’an asks.

“You are a transcendent, there is nothing higher to evolve you into.” Network says with a yawn. “Besides, you can already access menus. Now I just need you to hurry up and reach Transcendent level five or die so I can go back to my normal duties. Do you know how many meteverses System had? Who has to take care of all of them while you have fun in this little world?”

“I am guessing you do.” Ke’an responds. 

“Right-ho. Here is a reward for answering correctly.” Network says sarcastically. 

Quest Rewards

(2/2) NSS You Answered a Rhetorical Question!

Detectives Hat

Ke’an looks at the item and the description appears.

Item: Detective Hat

Level: common

Description: A comically oversized hat worn by self-proclaimed detectives. Its ludicrous brim hides no extraordinary powers, but proclaims delusions of grandeur. 

“Gods’ above and below, no reason to be snarky.” Ke’an says as he looks down at the unconscious System a trail of blood flowing from her mouth. “How much longer is this going to take.”

“The process is already complete. Time will be reversing soon.” Network lets out a long breath. “I recommend getting stronger quickly, Administrator-13. The next combat tutorial will not be as easy as the previous one.”

Ke’an lays Systems form on the ground then stands up and looks up at the sky with indignation. “Speaking of my previous quest.” Ke’an yells as his anger rises. “What in the Void was that! You sent five monsters all of which were about twenty levels higher than me after me all at the same time! What kind of introduction to combat is that?”

“I placed you in a situation where you can utilize your skills to their absolute maximum and that you can prepare a plan of attack. Most transcendents would find the first combat tutorial fun as not only did you have essentially infinite magic with the number of trees in the area but also access to firearms and allies.” Network states in his usual deadpan way. “Had you utilized your abilities properly I doubt you would have found the basic combat tutorial a challenge. In fact the number of handicaps I gave you should not have happened and perhaps I should have allowed Azeraath to forge the two Greater Snow Wraiths I freed. It is an oversight I will not have in your next combat quest I assure you.”

“You are saying that was easy.” Ke’an says.

“For the task at hand, yes.” Network admits. “But the retraining is designed to forge diamonds and brake pipes. Right now you are looking pretty leaky. That aside you also need to grow in other areas as well so we will narrow our focus for now.”

“...ck! You have to tell me these things in advance. What else did I miss?”

Ke’an steps back with System in his face and everything as it was right before they all passed out. It is as if nothing happened at all. That is until he looks at his two escorts who are standing in place looking blankly at something invisible before them. They are waving their hands in the air as if trying to grab something.

“So, everyone might have also gotten the ability to use basic menus as well.” Ke’an says avoiding System’s death glare.

“How in the name of the great Omnis did you forget…” System stops itself and rubs her face with her hands. “Nevermind. By the looks of it there was a reset and it already happened. Let's just go somewhere I can rest.”

“Hello native inhabitants of the world I am a Creator of Gods! A supreme being beyond everything you know and my name is Network! For whatever reason your world was chosen to house the Tutorial Beta! What does that mean? I know you must be wondering in bated breaths. Well in actuality for you everything. As I speak I am removing all of those pesky god avatars from your world so I can reprogram your reality. Over the next few years you can expect to see plenty of changes from  how your magic works, how strong monsters are, how big or small your world is and even the number of races!

“But look I am not here to destroy your world that is up to someone else. I am here to make sure everything goes smoothly. First off you may have noticed there is a screen in front of your face right now. To prevent panic and to make the transition of your magic into the Tutorial Beta go without a hitch I went ahead and uploaded the knowledge of how to use your menus and what it all means directly into your head, this should make the transition much easier.

“Next and this is extremely important, all of you need to get stronger as fast as possible, that is if you don’t want to go extinct. The world is going to have more and more monsters of increasing power and ready or not they are coming for the ill prepared. You all have six months to prepare during that time you will all get a bonus EXP. Now, with that being said your survival is in your own hands!”

The world shook as the voice from the heavens continued. Networks jovial mood was unsettling given the nature of the message which foretells world wide monster attacks and possible extinction. Ke’an and System recognize the voice is a recording but that would not help the panicking people. A supreme being that banished the Gods themselves so that it can have its way with their world and could alter everyone on the planet in an instant. What people feel in their minds is eldritch and beyond comprehension.

Ke’an and System can see the people standing in place, frozen as they look blankly at the screens in front of them. They wait quietly for the inevitable panic, for something to break the silence and the stillness of the world. Yet no one seems to be willing to make the first move. Until a wealthy looking man in his autokinetic honks his horn and yells at people in the street to get a move on.

“What are you doing standin’ in the road ya’ igit!” The man yells as his face turns red and he continues to honk his horn. “Some of us gots to work! Ya’ actin like Gods ain’t never talked to us from the sky before! Move!”

The man’s outburst is like a signal for everyone to resume their lives. People again started moving and the presumed riots and chaos didn’t come. People are surprised that a new God has proclaimed a new magic but these things though rare have happened before even in Ke’an’s short lifetime. The thunderous voice of the Gods can rend the soul and shake the planet just as Network had. Oper’saas is a city that worships money more than the Gods and their materialism is not threatened by a few more monsters and a status menu.

Of course there are those that are panicking but they are largely overshadowed by the returning bustle of the city as it springs back to life. The menus are new magic after all and some people are already thinking of ways they can make money off of the new status quo. System is impressed by the resilience of the people of this world but thinks that this is an obvious outcome for these humans. In this world and especially in this country the Gods walk amongst the people and Their divinity while infinite is not some unknown quantity.

Vi chuckles to himself  as he closes the menus only he can see. “Well that is certainly unexpected. I thought I would be stronger.” He muses to himself while rubbing his chin. “I will have the men check out the skills menu later… yes, this will help with training significantly.”

“What are we going to do, major?” Ma'helsi asks.

Vi turns to look at the group and his eyes settle on Ke’an. “We continue on to the registration office as planned. I am sure Master Ke’an would like to get it over with quickly. Is that alright with you or do you need a minute after that voice from that random God. Though that probably isn’t new for you.”

Ke’an smiles. “Are you jealous two Gods live in Fleysil?”

“Jealous.” Vi laughs. “No, I have lived in a city with a God before, not really my style.”

With no other words Vi takes the lead and the group presses onward.  The city’s buildings are all stone and pack closely together on all but the main streets used for transporting shipments and industrial material to and from the mines. There is barely any color in the sea of gray except for the vibrant green metal roof tiles made from hibrilium, the most abundant ore in the mine. A second color flashes into view as the group makes their way deeper into the city, it is finely polished brass pipes that intertwine into the city like veins. The lines hum with magical energy and lightly glow as they wrap around buildings and duck under the street only to reemerge on the other side and continue the confusing dance amongst the buildings.

0