41: The Monastery
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The monastery is a different design aesthetic than the rest Oper’saas. While still made from stone the building is rubbed smooth by the wind allowing it to look more flowing and strangely aerodynamic. The same warmth spell that surrounds the administration building also heats the premises. The stone that makes up the temple hums with divine protections and a constant breeze flows around and through the structure. Ke’an can feel his war machete resonate with the building just as it did with Batri’s temple which is to be expected.

Vi is thankful the journey to the monastery is pleasantly uneventful with no more announcements from Gods or random laughing fits from his charge. Even better, the priests are happy to take in a member of the Yalfi clan. Vi could not wait to be done with this little side quest in the middle of his day off and get back to his family. Ma’halsi on the other hand did not seem like he wanted to leave and Vi could definitely tell why. The young woman the noble has as a companion is no slouch when it comes to magic theory. Vi has never seen the usually esoteric flame mage so animated, but there are also not many people in the city that are as knowledgeable on various applications of magic as he.

Vi is somewhat interested in System as well because she is an enigma. She is dressed in the same style of clothing as the stravani in the region and they claimed she is from a small village. Even her race is a mystery as Vi has never seen a God Changed that looks quite like her, she is definitely not a follower of any of the five Gods of Senusha. She even insists that she is merely a bodyguard, perhaps a mercenary or monster hunter. However, where it doesn’t add up is her education and mannerisms they are definitely that of a scholar, possibly even nobility. If she came into the city by herself or with anyone else they would be interrogating her but Vi knows better than to stick his nose into the business of nobles. As long as they don’t ask any personal questions they are home free.

“Lady Lock, I would love to be able to pick your brain more.” Ma’halsi says his voice brimming with excitement. “If I may be forward in asking to be your escort out of the city whenever you and Master Strome leave as well.” 

If it were anyone else Vi would think that Ma’halsi has a crush on the obviously disguised exotic mistress of Master Strome. However, he doubts that the man has even registered that she is a woman or the difference in their status. Ma’halsi is a mage first and everything else is tertiary. Vi just hopes that Ke’an doesn’t take it the wrong way and that the woman is not his lover because things could go south quickly if she is. Vi sighs and gets ready to step in to put out any miscommunication before it arises. 

Vi coughs to get everyone's attention. “What I am sure…”

Ke’an cuts him off. “I think that would be a great idea. In fact I will make sure that you both are our escorts when we leave tomorrow morning.”

Vi furrows his brow. “Right. Well then Master Strome we will be off.”

“Wait before you go.” Ke’an reaches under his shoulder cape making a show of pulling something out. “Happy Week of Giving I am sure this was an inconvenience to you.”

Ke’an hands them both a fifty Teis bill from his now opulent wealth with a smile on his face. The two are shocked as they accept essentially a month's wage for a few hours of work. As Ke’an and System walk off Vi struggles to figure out why the young noble is being so generous. He looks at the bill in his hand, a bribe, hush money, payment for a future favor, nobles always have an angle. Well he took the money now so he guess he now owed the nobleman something.

“What have I gotten myself into.” Vi says.

Ka’an and System are led inside of the temple by a human priest named Kimiveil. The young priest looks to be in his mid twenties and is in the traditional flowing silk robes which hang loosely off his thin body. His extraordinarily thick eyebrows dance across his overly expressive brow every time he talks. He curiously leads Ke’an to a tithe collector first and waits for him to give something to the temple. After Ke’an pays a rather generous donation Kimiveil leads them out along the cloister to the rooms on the other end of the monastery. They are taken to a special wing of the building where more wealthy members of clergy and faithful reside. They notice that there are no doors or windows throughout the temple. Instead the wind itself magically obscures visibility and sound at each doorway.

The two are quick to pick up that the higher ranked amongst the clergy here are a God Changed race called the dai’lia. Unlike the stravani which is a transformation that is genetic, the dai’lia transformation is only given to the most devoted to Li’thaum the God of Winds. The dai’lia are known for their thin bodies which can be deceptive when accounting for their strength and speed. Their hair is also known to shimmer in the wind in a rainbow of color. The most apparent feature of the dai’lia is the fact that they are semi-translucent when they move. The air itself somewhat obscures their forms making them difficult to see without magical perceptions. 

“This will be your room.” Kimiveil says with a waggle of his eyebrows. “If you need anything please ask any member of the clergy.”

 “Thank you. One thing we are expecting documents from the Immigration Director.” Ke’an says.

“Don’t worry about it, we are used to it. Once the documents are here we will send someone to deliver them.” Kimiveil states with a slight bow. “Please enjoy your stay, for your generous tithe I was sure to pick the best room for you. Someone will be by with supper as well.” He starts to walk away but stops and hops back to them. “Oh yeah before I forget. If you need to lock your door once inside, turn the crystal clock wise. Also inside the rooms you can see out but no one can see in.”

While Ke’an did not worship the God of Winds his matrimony to his fiancée would mean he is going to be obligated to respect and honor His temples and people. A’ila is a dai’lia after all and a devoted member of the faith much like he is for Batri which is the reason they were chosen by their respective Gods. Ke’an once believed that being the bridge by which the Mother and Son would finally end their endless feud was going to be the highlight of his life. It is no small feat to play such an important role in the interplay between Gods. However now it almost seems trivial once it is compared to everything he has experienced the past five years in his perspective time. 

Ke’an and System enter the room and see that the space is quite large and rather opulent. Ke’an did pay half the living wage for a worker for a year but he did not expect to be given such a large room in return. He thought it is a shame he is only going to be there for a single night.

0