08
157 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ferrand was the first one in, leaning a bit more heavily than usual on his oak cane but he didn’t otherwise look like his pain was bad today: he greeted them cheerfully, and gave Aelfeva a friendly smile. He said nothing to her specifically, just moved out of the way to let Josceran follow him in the door.

Aelfeva blinked, and more or less forgot the introductions. What under the sun had happened to Josceran while he’d been away? The rather cocky confidence was just not there, replaced by a kind of... tension, maybe? He was, regardless, more subdued than she’d ever seen him, though he did seem genuinely pleased by the reunion after so long.

Aelf?” he asked. “And Leofeva? And...?” He trailed off, head tilted questioningly in Aelfeva’s direction.

We, uh, have a bit of a situation,” Richold said.

Aside from three arranged marriages?” Ferrand said dryly.

Related to that. Leofeva disappeared on us shortly after we reached the city. We suspect she’s gone to Fritha. Aelf’s gone back towards Rosebridge to look for her. If we can’t find her in time... Herlinde already approved of an alternative plan. This is our cousin Aelfeva. She’s going to step in if necessary, to keep us all from angering the Queen.”

I’m more worried about angering Herlinde,” Josceran said quietly. “Seidkonas are bad enemies.”

As Aelfeva responded to Teoda’s nudge by offering her free hand for him to clasp, Josceran’s gaze flickered to her face, and away again without betraying the slightest hint of a reaction of any kind. His words, about wishing he’d met her under happier conditions and being sorry she’d been dragged into this, felt more like an effort to be polite and kind, with little under it she could detect.

That was confusingly disappointing. Had she been hoping he’d know her anyway? If Ilduara and Guillen and Ferrand didn’t, then it was extremely improbable that after a year and a half, Josceran would. And why would she want that anyway? It would probably be simpler, and less embarrassing, if no one knew until or unless that became unavoidable.

But the other question remained: what had happened to him? This Josceran was so different that he might as well be another person entirely.

Maybe Ferrand knew. She’d have to get Teoda or Richold to try to find out.

Leo just buggered off on her own, in the middle of Blaecstan?” Ferrand said. “No note to let us know if she’s safe, no concern at all for the consequences, just gone?”

Exactly,” Richold said. “Maybe she tried going home, hoping to hide out with friends although I don’t know who. I suppose it’s possible she’s just lost but this is Leofeva we’re talking about. The temple of Fritha seems more likely. We just need to find out where it is and pay them a visit. Well, the girls can pay them a visit, at least.”

We need to know she’s safe,” Josceran said. “Aside from that, I think it’s largely up to Aelfeva what steps to take.”

You’re involved in this rather directly too,” Guillen pointed out.

Josceran’s smile had no mirth behind it. “I’m going to end up marrying a woman who really does not want to marry me, either the one I know who appears to have run away to avoid that or the one I don’t know who shouldn’t be involved in this mess at all. I have no desire at all to ruin anyone’s life, and I have zero choice about doing exactly that. Do you suppose it will be somehow better with one than the other?” He stopped. “I’m sorry, Aelfeva, that was... appallingly rude to you.”

I... it’s... I understand what you meant,” Aelfeva stammered, mind racing. She hadn’t expected Josceran to be wildly enthusiastic, but she hadn’t expected him to feel like that about the situation.

All she’d been thinking about was herself and her sister and which was going to have to trade herself for the freedom of the other.

She’d completely failed to consider that Josceran was just as trapped.

There had to be a way out of this!

This whole thing is appalling,” Guillen said, and there was a growl somewhere in the tone that was nearly as uncharacteristic as Josceran’s reserve. “How many lives are they disrupting with this decree? Too many. It’s not fair.”

Since when does fairness matter to a Queen?” Ilduara sighed.

Or a seidkona,” Josceran said. “Herlinde is known in the whole north for caring about nothing except the best interests of her princess... Queen, now. Do not cross her in any way. I am absolutely serious about that.”

We, ah, we believe you,” Richold said, and Teoda nodded quickly. “We’ll show maximum respect to the terrifying witch-lady, trust me. For the moment... I wish I could say you look good after being up north, Jos, but I’d be lying.”

Josceran shrugged. “Stories later. We’ll all have plenty of time to kill before Sunna’s Day. Shall we stop by the bathhouse and then make plans after that?”

It’s been a while since we did anything together,” Teoda said. “Dara and Aelfeva and I want to go prowl around and do some observation and some shopping, and we could use an escort. The more the merrier.”

Rich and I have already been roped into the job,” Guillen said.

Ferrand glanced in his direction, and eyes met for just a heartbeat. “Well, we can’t get left out, can we? Right, Jos?”

Josceran nodded. “We’ll come.”

Bathing first,” Teoda said firmly. “And that’s just a few doors down.”

Everyone out,” Guillen said, getting up and picking up his own clean shirt and bathing kit. He ushered everyone else out the door and closed it behind them.

A bathhouse couldn’t be all that different as a woman, right? Rosebridge did have a public one, with a single bath that was open to women in the early part of the day and to men later. Aelfeva couldn’t recall ever using it, preferring the small private Glaedwin facilities or, now and then because of circumstances, joining Guillen in the one at the inn. She’d been in it before, checking on a complaint made to the reeve, and knew it was as much social as hygienic, but surely in a big city and with houses being leased out for a few days at a time, there’d be less of the community aspect and she wouldn’t have to talk to anyone except Teoda and Ilduara. At least, she hoped so.

The bathhouse was easy to find: the front door frame was constructed as a large arch, with the words “Bath House” and a border of stylized waves.

A neatly-dressed young woman with her blonde hair braided and coiled, in a spotlessly white chemise and a pale blue-green overdress, met them in a pleasant, bright outer room. They gave their names and the houses they were staying in; she immediately beckoned them in, showing the women to a room where they could strip down and tuck their clothes into cubbyholes, and taking the men further in. There was even a sort of alcove holding a privy bench with two seats, which seemed sensible for helping to keep things clean.

There was no one else in there. Seeing the sisters naked hardly seemed to matter: they’d grown up all swimming together in the quiet part of the river and in irrigation ponds, and who ever heard of wearing clothes to swim? Being naked herself felt more jarring—like it would instantly be obvious to everyone in Blaecstan that she was somewhere she shouldn’t be, pretending to be someone she wasn’t.

But the sky didn’t fall, and there were no screams of outrage. She took a deep breath as she tucked her orange overdress and both chemises into the cubbyhole on top of her sandals.

Teoda laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. “Sit down on the bench for a moment, and I’ll undo your hair for you. I’ll help you wash it, too, all this hair would be just impossible with only one good arm.”

Unquestionably,” Ilduara said. “Tell me if you need an extra pair of hands. I hope your shoulder heals quickly, that sounds extremely inconvenient.” She gathered up her kit and waited by the opposite door until Teoda had finished and they could join her.

Unexpectedly, the next room did not hold a single large bath: it held six smaller ones, each of a size for a single person. Three of them were already filled with water. There was another attendant there, who greeted them with a smile.

We find it keeps the large bath more pleasant for everyone if our patrons have the opportunity to clean up here before soaking,” she explained. “If there’s anything at all you need, or if you have any questions, please just ask. We do our best to keep everything on the premises clean.”

Thank you,” Ilduara said. “I’ve never heard of bathing in multiple steps before, but it sounds sensible. I’m not sure it would be as practical with only a few hundred people, and some with private bathhouses, but there are so many people here...”

The attendant nodded. “We do know that staying clean means staying healthier. With thousands of people living close together, a few innovations have been essential to keep everyone healthy. If there’s anything you want laundered, you can leave it with me, I’ll pass it to the laundry and we’ll return it to your respective houses when it’s clean and dry.”

That sounds lovely,” Teoda said. “We’re going to be so spoiled after this sennight, going back to doing everything ourselves at home is going to feel like much more of a chore. Just a moment.” She ducked back into the changing room, and returned with three chemises. “These two are from house five, and this one is from three.”

The attendant nodded. “You should have them back tomorrow.”

The baths looked much older than that explanation implied, great solid rectangles of what must be earth or rock or brick under the tile facing; they were lined with huge oval basins of metal that might well be removable, though they fit quite neatly. There was a drain in the bottom, stopped up with a white ceramic plug. On the edge of each bath was a narrow-necked pottery bottle that was presumably soap, and a neatly-folded square of rough pale fabric, with plenty of room for personal items.

Ilduara glanced at Aelfeva’s unexpected kit, and her gaze flickered upwards to Aelfeva’s, with a question there not quite spoken.

When I fell, I damaged more than my shoulder,” Aelfeva said, trying to keep her tone light. “My cousin isn’t here, so I hope he won’t mind.”

Oh, I see. I’m sure he’ll be fine with it. He’s terrible at asking for help but always happy to help others. We’ll have to watch for a replacement for you while we’re out today.”

She might not need one,” Teoda said. “Jos and Rich and Ferrand should all be out shopping for bridal gifts while we’re in the city, after all.”

That made something deep inside Aelfeva tie itself into knots.

A new chatelaine set, as fine as the family income would allow, was an essential bridal gift—one with the capacity to hold keys as well, a display not only of wealth but of her new status as a married woman who held the keys to everything in her household. Options in Rosebridge were limited to local craftsmen and occasional merchants travelling through, but in Blaecstan, three well-off grooms should have better luck.

She hadn’t actually thought as far as the possibility of Josceran buying bridal gifts that were meant for her. It was... unsettling, and stirred mixed feelings that were even more so.

It never hurts to have an inexpensive spare around,” Ilduara said. “Accidents happen. If nothing else, it can be tucked aside for a daughter in the future.”

Daughter.

Having a child.

Not just the expected support of a wife while she carried and gave birth to a child. Actually being on the other side of that. If she was stuck being Aelfeva... was it that complete a change? Could that even happen?

Would she want it to?

Would it matter? It was expected that a wife would do her best to give the family children, although sometimes it just didn’t happen. It was dangerous—Josceran and Ferrand’s mother had died that way years ago, losing a baby early—but she’d never heard of that being considered a reason to avoid it.

She hadn’t even gotten her mind around the part before that, the sexual contact necessary for making a baby! She knew how it worked, in theory, but it wasn’t anything she’d ever wanted to explore more closely, even from the proper side!

It was too much. She shoved it all away and stepped into the bath.

The water was warmer than the room, but not by much. It was a refreshing temperature for getting cleaned up.

Washing up in her room had taken the edge off the strangeness of her altered body, but that didn’t mean she could just ignore it. There were more crevices and creases to scrub, even if there was less hair, and her skin felt subtly more sensitive, which was distracting.

Neither Teoda nor Ilduara had hair as long as Aelfeva’s, but it was still considerable; the attendant was on hand with a pitcher and fresh water to help rinse hair clean of the same sweet-scented soap that they used on their bodies, but the whole process for all three still involved more cooperation and mutual assistance than Aelfeva was expecting. Teoda repeated firmly that Aelfeva was not to strain her shoulder and that she and Ilduara were accustomed to helping each other.

All thoroughly clean, they went through the far door into the next room, which had a pool of water that was so hot it steamed gently. Another attendant smiled at them, laid three folded towels on a bench near one wall, and showed them where steps led down into the pool.

It wasn’t as large as Aelfeva had imagined—there was room for no more than a dozen people to lounge in it, and that many only as long as they didn’t move too much. The edges were sculpted into a bench all the way around, and the rim had enough of a slope for it to be tolerably comfortable just resting one’s head there while immersed in the heat. There were four other women present, soaking at the far end and murmuring occasional soft remarks to each other; one gave them a friendly nod, another greeted them, which Teoda returned, but there was no other effort made to either interact or avoid.

It was impossible to stay tense and anxious with that warmth soaking right down into muscle and bone and soul.

Oh, this feels lovely,” Ilduara sighed contentedly. “I wish Leo were...” She cut herself off. “Never mind. This isn’t the moment.”

I wish she were, too,” Aelfeva said. She wasn’t at all certain, though, whether their respective brothers and friends were having as tranquil a moment. In her experience, companionable quiet was much less likely. If there was another group present, the two groups would most likely be ignoring each other like a couple of tomcats in the barn with no female around: no reason to fight but with no reason to acknowledge each other’s presence. She quite liked this, company without pressure to talk.

It couldn’t last forever. The other group left, and the attendant mopped up the water that dripped onto the tiled floor. Another group came in, this one of four adult women and a pair of teenagers along with an infant in a basket.

Perhaps time for us to go?” Teoda murmured.

Towel-dried, though Aelfeva was sure that her hair would keep dripping for the rest of the sennight, they returned to the room with the cubby-holes to get dressed.

Aelfeva gave Teoda a pleading look, her mass of wet golden hair wrapped around her arm, while Ilduara was working on the lacing of her own dress. Teoda smiled.

Sit down, Aelfeva, and I’ll help you with your hair.”

She used Aelfeva’s towel to dry it further, touselling it briskly, then began to comb it out.

It’s tempting to at least cut it shorter,” Aelfeva grumbled.

Oh, goodness, no!” Ilduara said. “I’m sure your shoulder will heal, and it will stop being so awkward—although I imagine there are moments even without a sore shoulder when it feels exasperating. But it would be a shame to cut it, it’s beautiful, and many women must be jealous, not many have the choice of hair so long and thick. It deserves better than a fast simple braid. If Teoda ties it back in a tail for the moment, we could go back to your room and do something a little fancier.” She laughed and ran a hand through her own black mane—even wet, and despite their own weight, the curls showed. “We have to get creative with braiding and accessories sometimes, curls can be complicated. Yours would be fun to play with.”

Maybe not for too long now,” Teoda said diplomatically. “But we are going to be walking around the capital, and you might want something a little fancier to wear, too. I gather you didn’t bring much, no one expected plans to change, but if Leofeva has anything in her trunk, I’m sure it would be fine if you borrowed it.”

Aelfeva only realized then that both sisters were wearing more colourful dresses with wide bands along the edges for contrast, Teoda a deep yellow with dark blue edges and Ilduara a kind of soft sage green with borders of warm orange-pink. The plain orange one she’d pulled out of Leofeva’s trunk was going to stand out for being too simple for the company and destinations.

I don’t think she’d object,” Ilduara said, though Aelfeva saw a faint crease between her brows.

I surrender,” Aelfeva said. “But Rich and the others will be waiting, so...”

We won’t take too long,” Teoda said. “But since they get to look, they should be pleased if we put a little effort into looking good, hm?” She tied Aelfeva’s hair at the back of her neck with the orange ribbon. “Let’s go see what we can do.”

They left a message with the attendant at the front door that they’d gone back to the Glaedwins’ house.

11