Chapter 11
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lily's breathing slowed, her chest rising and falling with the rhythm of sleep as her small frame curled into the blankets, seeking comfort even in the midst of chaos. Ethan watched her for a moment, the stillness of her small form a stark contrast to the turmoil that churned within him. He felt the weight of Milana's gaze on him, her presence a silent call to action.

"We can't stay here for long," Ethan whispered, careful not to disturb Lily's fragile slumber. "I need to get to my sister's place to check up on her. But it's too far on foot, especially with Lily and without knowing what's out there."

Milana's hands were folded in her lap, her fingers entwined tightly as if to wring out a solution. "We will need a vehicle. And food," she murmured, her stomach betraying her with a faint growl. The sound seemed amplified in the hush of the room, and she cast her eyes downward, a blush of embarrassment coloring her cheeks.

Ethan gave a short, humorless chuckle. "I'd kill for a decent meal right now. But first things first. When dawn breaks, I'll scout the area. Maybe find us a ride. You hold down the fort here?"

She nodded, as her eyes darted towards the window. "What if you don't come back?" The question hung between them, a palpable fear.

"I'll come back," he stated firmly, the promise reinforcing his resolve. "I promise."

Milana stood, moving to the window to peer through the gap in the curtains, her body tense as if bracing against an unseen storm. "I barely know you, Ethan. Yet, here you are, making me promises that you might not be able to keep."

Ethan stepped closer to her, their reflections ghostly in the dim pane. "If I'm not back in 24 hours," he said, his voice steady despite the lump in his throat, "you have to take Lily and move on. Find somewhere safe."

Milana's agreement came in a nod, silent but firm. "I will take care of her," she vowed, her voice a soft echo in the cramped space.

Ethan caught the subtle shift in her stance, the readiness to act, and it bolstered his confidence in leaving them, even if just for a little while. "You're strong, Milana. Stronger than you think," he said, his tone threaded with respect.

He cast a sidelong glance at Lily, ensuring she was still in the grips of sleep, then turned back to Milana. "By the way, earlier it sounded like you were hungry?" he asked, the practicalities of survival momentarily overriding the gravity of their situation.

"Yes," she admitted, sounding slightly sheepish.

Ethan reached for his backpack, the fabric whispering as he opened it. He crouched down and began to lay out their meager provisions. Several cans of beans appeared first, their labels a testament to a world that now felt distant and disconnected. A jar of peanut butter followed, its cap still sealed, the contents untouched. He then pulled out some packets of instant noodles, the bright packaging incongruous against the somber mood. Lastly, a bag of trail mix, its nuts and dried fruits offering a semblance of nourishment.

"This is what we have for now," he said, arranging the items between them. "We’ll have to make it last until I can find more."

Milana's eyes assessed the small cache of food, a calculated gaze taking inventory. "It's not a feast, but it'll keep us going," she remarked, a glimmer of determination in her tone.

Ethan smiled faintly. "Feasts are for those who have the luxury of peace," he quipped, his humor a shield against the creeping dread of the unknown. "For now, let's just pick something to eat."

Ethan gestured towards the humble assortment. "So, what do you want to start with?" His voice, though low, carried the offer of a small choice in a world where choices were rapidly dwindling.

Milana's hand hovered over the array before settling on the jar of peanut butter. "This," she said. "It's been a while since I had peanut butter."

Ethan's hands worked to unscrew the lid, the seal breaking with a satisfying pop. The rich, nutty scent filled the air, momentarily displacing the stale odor of the room. He found a small spoon from the depths of his pack, and offered her the first bite.

The peanut butter was thick on her tongue, with a creamy texture and taste that seemed almost decadent given their circumstances. Milana closed her eyes for a moment, savoring the simple pleasure, a faint smile curving her lips. It was a reminder of normalcy, a fleeting respite from the constant strain of survival.

Ethan watched her, the sight stirring a warmth in him that he hadn't felt in a long time. He took his own spoonful, the flavor grounding him in the moment, pushing back the uncertainty of what lay ahead.

They ate in silence, each lost in their thoughts, the room filled with the soft sounds of their sustenance.

With each bite, the silence between Ethan and Milana grew more comfortable. As they finished, Ethan screwed the lid back on the jar, the peanut butter now marked with the evidence of their hunger.

Milana wiped her hands on her jeans, a practical motion that spoke of habits from a life now distant. She looked at Ethan, his eyes betraying the weariness he fought to conceal. "You should sleep first," she suggested, her voice low but firm. "I'll keep watch."

The offer, kind and maternal, was a balm to the raw edges of Ethan's pride. He wanted to argue, to insist he could stand guard, but his body betrayed him with a yawn he couldn't stifle. "Alright," he conceded, his gaze grateful. "Just wake me if anything happens."

Ethan arranged himself on the floor beside Lily's bed, his body curling protectively as he settled down. The floor was hard and unwelcoming, but his exhaustion was a force greater than discomfort. His eyes closed, and within moments, the rhythm of his breathing matched Lily's.

 
2