Chapter 14
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lily's eyes fluttered open to the gray light of dawn filtering through the dusty curtains of the abandoned house's bedroom. The unfamiliar surroundings jolted her awake, her heart racing with confusion. She sat up, her small hands clutching the frayed blanket, and frantically scanned the room for Ethan.

Panic seized her as she realized he was not there. Memories of her mom leaving and never returning flooded her mind, igniting a familiar fear. Tears welled up in her eyes as she whispered, "Ethan?"

Milana, who had been dozing in a chair nearby, woke up to Lily's distressed call. She saw the terror in Lily's wide, tear-filled eyes and immediately understood the little girl's fear. "Lily, it's okay," Milana said softly, moving to sit on the edge of the bed.

Lily's sobs were quiet, but her body shook with each one. "He left me, like Mommy did," she managed to say between tears.

Milana gently wrapped an arm around Lily's shoulders. "No, sweetheart, Ethan didn't leave you. He went out to find a car for us. He's coming back, I promise." Her voice was calm and reassuring, a contrast to Lily's trembling.

Lily looked up at Milana, her eyes searching for truth in her words. Milana's face was kind, and her eyes held a sincerity that Lily desperately wanted to believe. "Really?" she sniffled, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

"Really," Milana affirmed. "Ethan cares about us, Lily. He's doing everything he can to keep us safe. You trust him, don't you?"

Lily nodded slowly, the fear in her heart easing slightly. She trusted Ethan; he had saved her from the scary office building and had been so kind to her. "But why did he have to go alone?" she asked, her voice small.

"He needed to move quickly and quietly to avoid the zombies. It's safer for us to stay here while he does that. But he'll be back soon," Milana explained, brushing a stray hair from Lily's forehead.

Lily leaned into Milana's touch, finding comfort in her presence. The thought of Ethan braving the dangers outside for them made her feel both scared and grateful. She wished she could help him somehow.

Milana sensed Lily's inner turmoil and decided to distract her. "How about we get some breakfast ready? We can surprise Ethan when he gets back." She offered a gentle smile, hoping to bring some normalcy to their unsettling situation.

Lily's face brightened at the idea. "Can I help?" she asked eagerly, the remnants of her earlier panic fading.

"Of course," Milana replied, standing up. "Let's see what we can find in the kitchen." She held out her hand, and Lily took it, her small fingers gripping tightly.

Together, Milana and Lily made their way to the kitchen, the old wooden floorboards creaking under their feet. The kitchen, though dusty and cluttered, had a semblance of normalcy that felt comforting. As they began to rummage through the cabinets, Lily's eagerness to help was evident in her bright eyes.

They found a can of soup and some crackers, simple but sufficient for a meal. Milana set up a small gas stove, thankful that it still worked. "Lily, would you like to help me open the soup can?" she asked, offering a way for the little girl to be involved.

Lily's face lit up with a sense of purpose. "Yes, I can do that!" she said, taking the can opener with determination. Milana watched her, a smile tugging at her lips as Lily concentrated on her task. It was a small act, but it gave Lily a feeling of much-needed contribution and control.

Once the can was open, Milana carefully poured the soup into a pot and placed it on the stove. The sound of the soup bubbling gently was a comforting background noise in the otherwise silent house. "Can I stir it?" Lily asked, looking up at Milana with hopeful eyes.

"Of course, just be careful, it's hot," Milana warned, handing her a wooden spoon. Lily took it, stirring the soup with careful, deliberate movements. Milana watched her, her heart aching for the brave little girl who had lost so much yet still found ways to keep on going.

As the soup cooked, a silence fell between them, filled only by the sound of the simmering pot. Lily's expression grew distant, her stirring slowing as her mind wandered. Milana could see the change in her demeanor and guessed where her thoughts had taken her.

"Lily, what are you thinking about?" Milana asked gently, her voice soft.

Lily looked up, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I miss my mommy," she whispered, her voice barely audible over the bubbling soup.

Milana moved closer, putting her arm around Lily's shoulders. "I know, sweetheart. It's okay to miss her," she said, her own voice thick with emotion.

Lily leaned into Milana, allowing herself to be held. "It's just... sometimes I forget she's gone, and then I remember all over again," she said, her voice breaking.

Milana hugged her tighter, her heart breaking for the little girl. "It's okay to feel sad, Lily. Your mom loved you very much, and she would be so proud of how brave you are being," she comforted her, in a soft voice.

Lily nodded, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. "I just wish she was here with us," she said, a tremble in her voice.

"I know. But you have me, and you have Ethan. We're your family now, and we're going to take care of you, okay?" Milana reassured her, offering a promise she intended to keep.

Lily looked up at her, a small smile appearing through her tears. "Okay," she agreed, a little more strength in her voice.

Together, they finished cooking the soup in silence, each lost in their own thoughts, but still finding the comfort that they needed in each other's presence.

0