Chapter 15
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the morning light grew stronger, casting a warm glow through the dusty windows, the sound of an engine broke the silence outside. Lily's head snapped up, her eyes wide with a mix of hope and fear. "Is that Ethan?" she asked, her voice trembling with anticipation.

Milana, who was packing away the soup utensils, paused and listened. The sound of a car door closing followed by familiar footsteps quickened her heart. "I think it is," she said, a smile breaking across her face.

The front door swung open, and Ethan strode in, his face weary but relieved. His eyes quickly found Lily, and he smiled. "Hey, I'm back," he announced, his voice filled with a tired but genuine happiness.

Lily's face lit up, and she ran towards him, her small arms wrapping around his legs. "Ethan, you came back!" she exclaimed, her voice muffled against his jacket.

Ethan bent down and hugged her, lifting her up for a moment. "Of course, I came back. I promised, didn't I?" he said, ruffling her hair gently.

Milana watched them, a sense of relief washing over her. "Did you find a car?" she asked, eager to know their next move.

Ethan nodded, setting Lily down. "Yes, and it's in pretty good shape. We need to pack up everything we can carry. I want to get to my sister as soon as possible," he explained, his tone serious but hopeful.

Lily's expression turned determined as she nodded. "Can I help pack?" she asked, eager to contribute.

"Absolutely," Ethan replied, smiling at her enthusiasm. "We need to take all the food, water, and any medical supplies we find. It's going to be a long journey."

They moved quickly, scavenging through the house. They found and packed canned food, bottles of water, bandages, and other essentials into backpacks and bags.

Ethan checked the car, ensuring it was ready for the journey. He made sure to fill the tank with the last of the gasoline he had found and checked the engine.

Milana and Lily brought the supplies out, loading them into the trunk and backseat. Lily worked diligently, her small hands carefully placing each item in the car.

Once everything was packed, Ethan looked at Milana and Lily. "Are you ready?" he asked, his expression a mix of determination and concern.

Lily nodded, her eyes reflecting a mix of excitement and nervousness. Milana gave a reassuring smile, her own heart racing with the prospect of leaving their temporary home.

They got into the car, Ethan behind the wheel, Milana in the passenger seat, and Lily buckled up in the back. The engine roared to life, breaking the stillness of the morning. Ethan glanced back at Lily, offering her a reassuring smile. "Next stop, my sister's place," he said, a note of hope in his voice.

As the car rolled onto the open road, the landscape outside painted a picture of desolation and abandonment. Buildings stood empty, their windows like hollow eyes watching their passage. The road was eerily quiet, with only the sound of the car's engine and the occasional gust of wind breaking the silence.

Ethan drove with a focused intensity, his eyes scanning the road ahead. Milana sat beside him, her gaze alternating between the rearview mirror and the passing scenery. In the backseat, Lily looked out the window, her small hands gripping the seatbelt.

Suddenly, Ethan's grip on the steering wheel tightened. Up ahead, a small group of zombies wandered aimlessly across the road. Their gaunt figures moved in slow, jerky motions.

"Stay calm," Ethan murmured, slowing the car. He carefully maneuvered around the zombies, his expression one of concentrated effort. The creatures turned their heads toward the sound of the engine, but Ethan skillfully avoided them, leaving them behind without incident.

Lily watched wide-eyed, her breath held in fear. Milana placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder, whispering, "It's okay, we're safe."

As the car continued on its journey, the tension from the encounter lingered in the air. After a moment of silence, Milana turned to Ethan, her voice hesitant. "Ethan, what happened to your sister? Do you know if she's... okay?"

Ethan's hands tightened on the steering wheel, and he took a deep breath before answering. "I'm not sure," he admitted, his voice heavy with concern. "The last time I spoke to her was over the phone. There was a lot of commotion in the background, and then the line went dead."

Milana's heart sank at his words, and she glanced back at Lily, who was listening intently. "Do you think she's still there, at her house?" Milana asked, her voice laced with worry.

"I hope so," Ethan replied, his gaze fixed on the road. "That's all I have to go on. We need to find out if she made it out or if she needs our help."

The car continued its journey, the road stretching out before them, a ribbon of hope and uncertainty. Lily, still looking out the window at the passing desolate landscape, broke the silence with a question that seemed to hang in the air.

"Ethan, what is your sister like?" she asked, her voice tinged with curiosity and innocence.

Ethan's hands momentarily tightened on the steering wheel, and he glanced in the rearview mirror, meeting Lily's inquiring eyes. There was a brief hesitation in his response, as Ethan thought about what he should say.

Ethan's eyes lingered on Lily's reflection in the rearview mirror, his mind grappling with memories and emotions long tucked away. "My sister... Jane," he began, his voice trailing off as he searched for the right words. "She's always been strong-willed, you know? Had her own way of doing things. We... we didn't always see eye to eye."

Milana watched Ethan closely, sensing the layers of complexity in his relationship with his sister. It was clear that whatever had come between them was more than just distance or time.

Lily waited patiently, her young mind trying to understand the intricacies of adult relationships. "Did you fight a lot?" she asked innocently.

Ethan let out a small, rueful chuckle. "Yeah, we did. About silly things mostly, but sometimes about bigger stuff too. I guess we were both too stubborn to see the other's point of view."

The car hummed along the road, its steady rhythm a backdrop to Ethan's reflections. "It's been years since we really talked, before all of this happened. Our last real conversation was more of a disagreement, and then... we just stopped talking."

Ethan's voice, now soft and somber, barely rose above a whisper as he spoke more to himself than anyone else. "I just hope that our last real conversation won't be our last one," he murmured, the heaviness of his words hanging in the air. 

1