Chapter 22
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The last of the heavy furniture slid into place with a definitive thud, signaling the completion of their fortifications. Ethan stepped back, and inspected their work with a critical eye. It wasn't perfect, but it would have to do for the night. He could feel the fatigue settling into his bones, from the day's long journey and the stress of their predicament.

Jane wiped a streak of dirt from her forehead, her gaze meeting Ethan's. "I think that's the best we can do for now," she said, a note of exhaustion lacing her words.

Milana, who had been double-checking the locks on the doors, nodded in agreement. "It feels safer, at least for tonight." She glanced towards Lily, who was still peering out of the window, her role as lookout taken seriously.

Ethan suddenly remembered the small stash of food he had packed in his backpack. "Let's take a break and eat something," he suggested, reaching for his bag. "We all need to keep our strength up."

As he pulled out a few cans of beans, some crackers, and a couple of apples, Jane arranged a few candles in the center of the dining table, their flickering light casting a warm glow in the dim room. The group gathered around the table, the air filled with the sounds of cans being opened and the rustle of packaging.

Seated at the table, Lily's initial shyness was palpable. She fidgeted with the hem of her shirt, her eyes darting between the adults. Jane, noticing her discomfort, decided to gently draw Lily into conversation.

"So, Lily," Jane began with a soft smile, "Ethan told us you're quite brave. Did you have a favorite toy or game you liked to play before all this happened?"

Lily's eyes lit up at the mention of toys, and she hesitantly began to open up. "I had a teddy bear," she said softly, "His name was Mr. Snuggles. He was big and fluffy."

Jane's expression softened further. "Mr. Snuggles sounds lovely. I bet he was a great friend."

Lily nodded, warming up to the conversation. "He was. I miss him."

As they continued to eat, Jane gently coaxed more stories from Lily. The young girl began to talk about her favorite cartoons, her love for drawing, and her dream of visiting the zoo to see the giraffes and elephants. Her shyness slowly ebbed away, replaced by the innocent enthusiasm of a child sharing her world.

Ethan and Milana listened, their expressions a mix of amusement and sadness. It was the simple joys and normalcy that they all missed. Ethan found himself smiling at Lily's animated descriptions, her hands waving in the air as she talked about her favorite animals.

The conversation around the table flowed naturally, with Jane sharing stories of her childhood adventures with Ethan. Milana chimed in with anecdotes from her travels, and even Ethan contributed with a few light-hearted tales from his past.

The flickering candlelight danced across their faces, casting a warm yet soft glow as the conversation continued. Jane, her curiosity piqued, shifted her attention to Milana. "How did you and Ethan meet?" she asked, her voice tinged with interest.

Ethan exchanged a glance with Milana, a silent acknowledgement of the shared experience that had brought them together. "We met in the same office building where Lily was hiding," he began, his voice reflecting the gravity of the memory. "Milana was with a group of other office workers. We visited them, trying to figure out where Lily's mom went."

Milana picked up the story, her voice steady but distant. "It was a tense time. We were all scared, trying to make sense of what was happening outside." She paused, taking a deep breath. "Then Lily, she... she found out about her mom."

The room fell silent as they all turned to look at Lily, who had grown quiet, her eyes downcast. Ethan continued, "It was devastating for her. She started to cry, and in that situation, her cries... they just happened to attract the zombies."

"We had to run," Milana added softly. "But the others, the ones we were with, they weren't able to make it."

The somber mood was palpable, as they finished their meal in a reflective silence. The simple act of eating together had provided them a brief respite, a momentary escape from the relentless pressure of their situation.

Recognizing the need for rest, Ethan spoke up. "We should find some rooms to sleep in. We need to get ready for tomorrow."

One by one, they began to clear the table. The candles were carefully extinguished, plunging the room back into a shadowy half-light, illuminated only by the faint, eerie glow from the moon outside.

"We should figure out the sleeping arrangements," Ethan said, his voice breaking the silence. He looked around the small house, considering the limited options. "Since there are only two bedrooms, we'll need to pair up."

Milana glanced towards Lily, who by now had curled up in a chair, her eyelids heavy with fatigue. "I can stay with Lily," she offered, her tone gentle. "It might make her feel more comfortable."

Lily looked up at Milana, a faint smile crossing her tired face, an unspoken bond forming between them. It was clear that in this short time, Milana had become a source of comfort and security for the young girl.

"That sounds good," Jane agreed, nodding in approval. She turned to Ethan, "That leaves us in the other room. We can take turns keeping watch throughout the night."

Ethan nodded, the practicality of the arrangement clear. Right now, safety was a priority, and keeping watch was essential. "Sounds like a plan," he said, his voice carrying a mix of resolve and weariness.

Milana helped Lily to her feet, guiding her towards one of the bedrooms. The room was small, the furnishings sparse, but it was safe and that was what mattered most. Lily climbed into the bed, her eyes closing almost immediately as Milana tucked her in. 

"Good night. Sleep tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite."

0