Chapter 59
316 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Hokage Administration Building, High-level Conference Room.

At this moment, the meeting room gathered all of Konoha's high-ranking representatives. Except for the three elders group, which had held the reins of Konoha's highest authority for nearly three decades, the heads of major ninja clans were also summoned, including figures like Uchiha Fugaku, Hyuga Hiashi, and Nara Shikaku.

"Each of you is likely aware of the Third Kazekage's sudden disappearance."

Uncharacteristically, Hiruzen refrained from lighting a cigarette, opting instead for a sombre demeanour as he addressed the assembly, "The pressing matter at hand is that the Third Raikage of Cloud Shinobi Village has personally led an assault on the Sand Shinobi. As you all know, our Konoha has only recently allied with the Suna, home to the Sand Shinobi."

"The third shinobi war is imminent and Suna is asking for reinforcement."

The anger within Sarutobi Hiruzen burned intensely. Orochimaru, the traitor, had abducted his son! This was a retaliatory move directed at him.

With his flesh and blood held captive, Hiruzen found it impossible to uphold his vow of not pursuing him earnestly. He promptly ordered the Anbu to launch an investigation into Orochimaru's whereabouts.

However, before the Anbu operatives could take a single step, information arrived that changed the tide.

News arrived that the Third Kazekage of the Sunagakure had vanished.

Furthermore, reports streamed in of Cloud Shinobi Village's Third Raikage personally leading forces to breach the borders of the Land of Wind.

It was palpable to all present that the thought of the Third Ninja World War had turned into reality.

Amid such a tumultuous landscape, Hiruzen found himself without the luxury of focusing on finding Orochimaru's current whereabouts.

He could only allocate a small team to continue pursuing Orochimaru's trail, while the majority were redirected back to Konoha.

The primary agenda of the meeting was to strategize how to reinforce the Sand Shinobi.

"The Shinobi of the Hatake and Ino-Shika-Cho clans... I fear we might not be the best choice," Nara Shikaku, the group's intellectual cornerstone, was the first to interject.

"Reinforcing Suna will inevitably involve engagement with Sand Shinobi. Our clans, through various interactions in the previous Ninja World War, have established numerous hostile connections with Sand Shinobi. I recommend avoiding their participation as much as possible."

"Sakumo, known as the White Fang, slew the son and daughter-in-law of Sand Shinobi elder Chiyo," Shikaku continued. "Tatsuya carved his way through the defences of Suna village, the last line of defence held by the Second Kazekage."

"The individuals who directly confronted Sand Shinobi in the last war are indeed less suitable candidates," agreed Yamanaka Inoichi.

This declaration shifted the room's focus toward clans like Uchiha and Inuzuka, both of whom abstained from confrontation with Sand Shinobi in the prior conflict.

"In that case, Minato shall assume command, with Fugaku as his deputy. Our reinforcements should lead the Sand Shinobi," Sarutobi Hiruzen declared, casting his gaze toward Uchiha Fugaku.

Fugaku's countenance, however, remained far from agreeable.

Following the apparent "death" of Uchiha Shisui, the strained relationship between the Uchiha clan and the Hokage faction had only intensified.

Hence, when news arrived that Hiruzen's son Asuma had been abducted by Orochimaru, Fugaku's already strained composure lessened a bit.

But now, being subordinate to a young genius who's barely 20, how could he find any joy in this situation?

However, regardless of his inner sentiments, Uchiha Fugaku dared not openly defy Sarutobi Hiruzen's intentions; he could only offer a reluctant nod.

"Is it possible for Tsunade-sama to accompany us?" Despite following orders, Fugaku still had to advocate for his Clan's interests.

Having Tsunade around could elevate the soldiers' chances of victory on the battlefield by at least 50%.

"Well... If you can convince her, then sure," Hiruzen hesitated for a moment before finally agreeing.

Honestly, he wanted to leverage this war to prompt Namikaze Minato to rein in the arrogance of Tatsuya and Tsunade. Deploying Tsunade to the battlefield presented an opportunity for her to achieve notable feats in the war.

However, Tsunade's medical skills were exceptional, even Uchiha and Senju's historical enmity was overshadowed by her abilities. Hiruzen was now unwilling, and indeed unable, to find a legitimate reason to exclude Tsunade from the frontlines.

...

...

"On the battlefield? No interest whatsoever!"

Two hours elapsed after the meeting.

Uchiha Mikoto, wife of the Uchiha patriarch and currently expecting a child, sought out Tsunade, imploring her for participation. What she received, however, was a rather irritable response from Tsunade.

After the Senju clan's hardships during the Second Ninja War, she had contemplated leaving altogether.

Staying until the last war ended was already an act of immense compassion. Was she ready to exert herself this time? Not a chance! Beside her, Nawaki remained silent, scratching his head.

As Mikoto, who used to share a class with him, attempted to connect with him, he kept mum.

"Tsunade-sama please, listen..."

Mikoto's expression carried an air of impatience. Unable to persuade Tsunade on her own, she turned her beseeching gaze toward Tatsuya.

Seeing Mikoto's imploring look, Tatsuya felt that she, a pregnant woman, was thinking too much about herself.

However, upon learning of Mikoto and Nawaki's connection as classmates. Tatsuya's thoughts became a bit more intricate. He mused about the dynamics between the Senju and Uchiha.

According to the norms of anime, why hadn't this pairing succeeded? If this duo had children perhaps Indra and Ashura would have shared the same parents again.

"No, Tsunade, you should go," Tatsuya approached.

Tsunade's lovely eyes fixated on him, a look that seemed to ask, "Are you talking to other women, behind my back?"

Interpreting her gaze, Tatsuya guessed that jealousy was at play again.

He quickly explained, "If you don't go, Minato will get all the credit for the start of this war. Remember, I intend to make you the Fourth Hokage after this war."

Mikoto looked taken aback; Tatsuya harboured this plan.

"Haven't I done enough in the previous war?" Tsunade pouted, her voice tinged with reluctance.

"People are like fish—they remember the most recent events. Otherwise, how could the title 'Strongest Hokage' be attributed to the Third Hokage?" Tatsuya's words left Tsunade utterly speechless.

After all, when tracing back, the title of "the strongest" shouldn't have belonged to Sarutobi Hiruzen.

So why did it fall to him?

Aside from the elders' intentional propaganda, it was because most people in the village could no longer remember the strength of Senju Hashirama and Senju Tobirama's time.

Memories of the past had faded, and everyone's focus had shifted to the present.

"Aren't you coming?" Tsunade couldn't hold back from asking again.

This guy wasn't content being a homebody.

"Of course not. I'll be dealing with the Cloud Shinobi army that will attack the northern part of the Land of Fire later on," Tatsuya responded.

READ 40 CHAPTERS AHEAD ON P*TREON.C*M/MARIONI

16