Chapter 62
283 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Tsunade's willingness to proactively engage on the battlefield is undoubtedly commendable. However, it's precisely due to this that her continued dedication to Konoha after that incident raises concerns and appears rather perplexing."

"What's even more troubling is Hatake Tatsuya's willingness to follow with Konoha's orders and head to the front. He doesn't even do regular missions. You must have sensed the peculiarity right Hiruzen?"

Within the Hokage building, in the elders' meeting room, Danzo was directing his worries at his old friend Hiruzen.

The Cloud Shinobi army, led by the Raikage's son A and the Jinchuriki of the Eight-Tails, Killer B, was closing in on Konoha.

Given the circumstances, it seemed reasonable that Konoha had been left with only Sarutobi Hiruzen, a Kage-level ninja, to face this impending threat. This also addressed the very concerns that Danzo was vocalizing.

These uncertainties voiced by Danzo were exactly the concerns that weighed heavily on Hiruzen's mind. After all, Hiruzen wasn't naive.

Mutual forgiveness between two parties, especially when they have tried to kill each other and their loved ones might be difficult to achieve. How could such a relationship remain so cooperative and balanced?

Hatake Tatsuya and Tsunade were two individuals who were unlikely to easily comply with his orders. Yet, they had chosen to step forward voluntarily and join the front lines.

To most, this might seem like a positive development. With two Kage-level fighters, including one renowned as the "Best Medical Kunoichi in the World," it could significantly boost Konoha's Morale and chances of victory in the upcoming war.

However, this was just the viewpoint of the ninja community. The perspective of the elder council, a group with a deep political understanding, was far more complex.

Their line of thinking was: Why have Tatsuya and Tsunade taken this course of action? What underlying motivations are at play here?

"If the current situation of the war persists, Tsunade's continuous accomplishments in the second and third Great Ninja Wars will undoubtedly make her the natural successor to the title of Fourth Hokage. Furthermore, considering her lineage as the granddaughter of the First Hokage and being the grandniece of the Second Hokage, Tobirama Senju her claim would be nearly irrefutable," Utatane Koharu's gaze turned icy.

"Didn't Tsunade explicitly state her disinterest in the position of Hokage?" Mitokado Homura inquired through gritted teeth. However, his tone carried more of a self-reassuring sentiment than a genuine question.

The expressions of the other three present underwent a sudden change.

Recalling their actions during the latter stages of the Second Ninja War against the Senju clan, it wasn't hard to imagine the potential consequences if Tsunade indeed ascended to be the fourth Hokage.

"Let's not forget, there's Hatake Tatsuya by her side," Koharu's voice turned even colder. "He has caused quite a few disturbances, hasn't he?"

"What if I am not around anymore?" Sarutobi Hiruzen's demeanor was somber.

Despite being well into his fifties, he had sensed a significant decline in his combat capabilities over the past two years. Yet, he continued to hold the title of Hokage.

As long as he remained alive, would those brats dare to act recklessly?

"He dared to take your son's life; do you think he wouldn't dare to kill you?" Shimura Danzo scoffed with a sneer.

Indeed, in high-ranking circles, it had become an accepted belief that Tatsuya was responsible for the death of Sarutobi Shinnosuke. This conclusion was reached due to the many doubts surrounding the incident and its uncanny timing. While evidence was lacking, Tatsuya's strength deterred them from abrupt actions.

Nonetheless, the consensus remained that Tatsuya was responsible for Shinnosuke's death.

"Don't forget the loss of the Sarutobi clan under one-tail Jinchuriki either. If he can eliminate so many of them without raising suspicion, can't he eliminate one more?" Danzo further goaded, emphasizing the irony.

Tatsuya's purpose was quite evident—gaining recognition and solidifying his and Tsunade's positions in the village. But Danzo cautioned against offering him such an opportunity.

If Tsunade had already tasted success on the battlefield, and with Sarutobi Hiruzen seated in the Hokage's chair, she would be reluctant to seize the position overtly. After all, the granddaughter of the First Hokage had an image to uphold.

Yet, if an opportunity arose to eliminate Sarutobi in war, it would be a perfect chance. Nobody will be able to stop her, including anyone present in this room.

...

...

"As all of you are aware, A, the son of the Third Raikage, along with Killer B, the Jinchuriki of the Eight-Tails are leading a vanguard of 5,000 Cloud Shinobi. They are swiftly approaching the northern border of the Fire Country," Hiruzen addressed the room from his main seat.

The large conference room was abuzz with tension and anticipation.

"The Third Raikage's earlier invasion of the Sungakure was nothing more than a diversion. Their true objective is our Land of Fire."

"If only we had detected this earlier, we wouldn't be in this predicament," Nawaki said, his frustration palpable.

Though only a Chunin, Nawaki, the head of the Senju clan contributed his thoughts to the conversation. Yet, he sensed Tatsuya's intentions and chose to refrain from speaking too much.

Despite that, Nawaki's presence next to Tatsuya was enough to convey his sentiment.

"Daimyo's orders have been received. We must mobilize our forces immediately for defence," Utatane Koharu shifted gears and took out a list, her tone more decisive. "Send a contingent of 5,000 ninjas to engage the enemy at the frontlines. The commander-in-chief will be Shimura Danzo and the deputy commander-in-chief will be—"

"Spurt!"

Tatsuya, in the act of sipping tea, nearly choked upon hearing the announcement. His reaction instantly captured everyone's attention.

"Excuse me," Tatsuya managed, suppressing his smile. His mirth, however, proved uncontrollable as his amusement danced across his features.

Meanwhile, Nawaki, standing beside him, seemed to articulate Tatsuya's amusement first through a subtle play.

"Is Danzo suited for the role of commander-in-chief?" Nawaki questioned casually.

"What do you mean?" Danzo retorted, his expression cold.

The tone of his response was loaded with indignation. He had believed that Nawaki, a mere Chunin was hardly in a position to challenge his authority.

"No, no. I simply believe that while Danzo excels at strategies and cunning, the battlefield may require a different set of skills," Nawaki's grin held a distinct twist.

"What nonsense! I was part of the First Ninja War—"

"In the First Ninja War, weren't you primarily following in the footsteps of my grandpa Tobirama? And as for the Second Ninja War, you hardly engaged in direct combat, did you?" Nawaki's series of rhetorical questions left Danzo grasping for a defence.

In the First War, their presence was secondary, while Tobirama shouldered the primary responsibility. The Second War had seen Konoha deploy a formidable force that rendered the likes of Danzo's participation unnecessary.

As the patriarchs of the Hyuga, Nara, and Yamanaka clans exchanged glances, they realized the truth in Nawaki's remarks. They had noticed that the four members of the elder council were not exactly renowned for their frontline battlefield contributions.

"Alright, Nawaki, that's enough," Tatsuya intervened, halting Nawaki's volley of statements.

The sudden interruption from Tatsuya caught the elder council members off guard. Was this kid attempting to advocate for himself?

"But perhaps it would be wiser for Master Danzo to remain in a support role in the rear. Your presence might be rather conspicuous on the frontline," Tatsuya's attempt to suppress his smile wasn't entirely successful.

Nonetheless, Nawaki had already given voice to the thoughts that echoed from Tatsuya's mind.

READ 40 CHAPTERS AHEAD ON P*TREON.C*M/MARIONI

15