Chapter 147 – Interacting with the troublesome group
54 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That sounds like a terrible idea.” Laura was the first one to criticise Mila’s idea. “We don’t know that group; they have obstructed the Military’s righteous actions. It is not wise to interact with them.”

 

And while it was true, Mila had a reason to trust this ‘Sage’. Andrew was with them. While much could be said about her friend’s choices, his moral standing was not in question.

 

Furthermore, Mila couldn’t keep Isabel safe, not like this. And for her girl’s sake, she had to stop the ritual. Isabel’s mind would not be able to handle another Ocheon. All that death… Isabel would blame herself for it. And there were a few other considerations. The invite guaranteed safety for her - but for her alone.

 

But in the end, all of the reasoning circled back to Mila not being able to guarantee Isabel’s safety. Laura and her group were strong, but not nearly enough.

 

After a short consultation with the old ghost, Mila walked towards the doors. Laura tried to talk her out of this choice again but was stopped by Viola. Mila sent a grateful look to her friend and left.

 

It didn’t feel good. Anxiety and a swirl of muddy emotions kept pestering Mila. After stepping back into the tunnels, she began rushing towards the large gate. She had expected sounds of fighting, but… 

 

Aside from the occasional rumble or crackle, there was little else. After the first clash between the forces, the fight had calmed down quickly. Mila slowed down, listening for any wandering patrols checking the tunnels. But it looked like those attempts, too, had been thwarted by the Sage and his group.

 

After asking for a second opinion again, Mila proceeded. Her companion sent her affirmation and a warning. He could help if all else failed and the time was running out. There was more to it as well. The willingness to interact with her so much meant the boundaries keeping away the eyes of the gods and the world were strengthening.

 

With mana circulating to the highest possible degree and fueling Mila’s stealth, she finally reached the large tunnel where the sounds of clashes were coming from.

 

Mila had been moving in the dark for so long that the illuminated tunnel blinded her eyes. Even in their previous clashes, there had been just a few torches or balls of light fueled by magic here and there.

 

But the Military didn’t need to be subtle. They didn’t lack mages or resources. The whole tunnel had barely any shadow in it. On one side stood an army of stern-faced soldiers. Their lines were orderly, and their demeanour disciplined. Their equipment was standardised but somewhat poor when compared to what the guards had used against Mila.

 

Or at least, that was true for the backlines.

 

In front of the army stood people of higher birth, talent and prowess. Mila scrutinised the Commander standing in front - a no-nonsense, clean-shaved man in what looked like his forties - which likely meant much older.

 

Next to the Commander, Mila also spotted Astra, with Oscar covering behind. Two other Inquisitors Mila recognised from Barcy’s descriptions slinging spells at their current opponent. Chilling ice and penetrating lightning tried to overcome an opaque barrier.

 

A few more dangerous-looking soldiers tried to help the two Inquisitors in their endeavour. Astra was resting while explaining something to the Commander of the operations, who began to frown.

 

On the other side stood a party of seven. Well, it was eleven in total, as there were four tag-a-longs if Mila counted Mr Crow and the wolf.

 

Their calm and relaxed demeanour was in stark contrast with the grim opponents. Behind the opaque shield that covered that side of the tunnel, it was hard for Mila to make out the details of each member of Sage’s group.

 

And with it between Mila and her targets, she was at a loss on how to proceed. The barrier didn’t allow for energy or physical objects to pass through.

 

It wasn’t quite the same as the barrier Isabel used. Now that Mila had a moment to study it, it became apparent that it was several of them layered on top of each other. Each barrier did something different. Together, they made the opaque effect, obscuring the view.

 

While frowning, Mila considered her options. Currently, the best one seemed to be just yelling and hoping the Sage would hear and protect her from immediate attacks - which wasn’t an option at all.

 

“Do you wish to join us and talk?” The Sage’s voice suddenly whispered in Mila’s ear, making her jump.

 

Mila looked at the man in the group's centre behind the barrier. The distance was almost twenty meters, but apparently, it made no difference and allowed the Sage to sense her nevertheless.

 

Feeling a little foolish, Mila nodded. She didn’t want to risk speaking before she was safe and preferably behind the sturdy barrier the Sage was using.

 

“Don’t be shy. Come greet this old man.” The sage invited. At the same time, the barrier began to move, pushing forward despite the alarmed shouts and increasing amount of projectiles pelting it.

 

Once the barrier was an arm's length away, Mila finally took a hesitant step forward as it had stopped and opened a small hole for her to pass through. 

 

Mila’s presence was immediately noticed. Oscar’s enraged scream and trashing, the instant lighting that tried to reach her, cold that attempted to freeze her blood, invisible bolt of mana and more rushed towards her.

 

All of that was cut off just as Mila passed the threshold of the barrier. The opaque wall behind her mended, and finally, she could see the group waiting for her. She ignored the four she already knew and focused on the rest.

 

There was the man who had defeated Mila, looking annoyed about how things were proceeding. He clicked his tongue and looked away.

 

The next was the elderly man who had invited her to join their group, waving at Mila. “I am Grea! Glad you decided to join us!” Grea greeted her with far too much enthusiasm.

 

Behind Grea stood a man who was poking the metal gates with his finger. The hated assassin sighed and turned the elder around. The graying man blinked. “Who is this?” He asked while the assassin clicked his tongue again.

 

The cloaked person who had hidden on the roof a while ago didn’t show their looks and simply stood at the side, scrutinising Mila.

 

Another man was talking to Helly, prim and proper - he reminded Mila of a clerk in a local bookstore but otherwise was unremarkable.

 

Then, there was a warrior who was holding a battleaxe in each hand. Muscular and wild-looking, he was tapping his foot on the ground, apparently eager to fight.

 

And finally, there was their leader. A gentle-looking grandpa who was giving Mila a soothing smile. His wrinkled face told tales of years of hardship and toll. The toothless mouth opened to speak.

 

It was all wrong. Mila felt a jarring disconnect between what her instincts were telling and what her eyes were seeing. Something was messing with her mind!

“Hah!” The illusion began to fall apart immediately. “Grea’s praise was surprisingly appropriately placed.”

 

In the place of the grandpa now stood a handsome man in his late forties. The chiselled, clean-shaven face looked at Mila with interest. His bald head and deep eyes made her think of monks.

 

“What the!” Andrew, who had not noticed Mila’s arrival, also reacted to the sudden change. He had been looking at the man with the battleaxes in worry instead of paying attention to his surroundings. “Eh?” Andrew noticed her. “Mila? What? When? Mr Crow? Termi?” His bonds looked away from their embarrassment of an owner.

 

“So, girl, come closer, introduce yourself.” The Sage ignored Andrew and Grea, who had started to talk about how Mila was here to join their cause - whatever that was. “Tell us why have you sought us out.”

 

Mila held her head high and walked closer to the dangerous man. She didn’t take off her mask. Neither did anyone ask her to. The group, apart from Andrew, was content with just watching.

 

“Hey, Mila? What are you doing here?” Andrew not so subtly tried to whisper. “And where is Isabel.”

 

What Andrew thought was an innocent question made Mila’s anger flare. “Andrew…” She considered cursing the fool but changed her mind. He was a friend. “She was injured. Isabel is currently unconscious.”

“Huh?” Andrew blinked, then again. “That can’t be.” He mumbled in disbelief.

 

“Shut up!” Mila let the full brunt of her anger wash against Andrew, who fell back on his butt. She took a deep breath and ignored the idiot trashing on the ground. “I came here to see if you could help. My beloved suffered an injury, and now, in front of superior forces and a foul ritual, I cannot keep her safe.”

 

“Not stop the ritual?” The Sage wondered, not betraying any emotion on his face. It was a simple question with no hidden meaning.

 

“Would you?” Mila entertained the idea for a moment.

“You can't!”

 

It was Andrew who exclaimed. Mila looked at her friend, not believing his words. “Do you know how the ritual is being fueled, Andrew?” She wondered aloud. 

 

“Th-they are already dead… A-and…”

“So you don’t. You didn’t dare to ask, did you?” Mila guessed. But she was done speaking with him. Andrew was in for trashing when they got out - a big one. “I repeat - Would you?”

 

“No.” The Sage shook his head. “The ritual will go on. We are analysing and cataloguing its peculiarities as we speak.”

 

Were they? Mila tried to feel out the situation and consulted her inner companion, who pointed to the man who spoke to Helly. He was doing something and only paid lip service to the woman.

 

What exactly, Mila couldn’t say.

 

“How fascinating…” The Sage leaned closer to Mila. It seemed he had noticed her attention shift.

“Thank you, but I am taken.” Mila returned her attention to the Sage. “Will you interfere if I and my companions interrupt the ritual?”

 

“No.” The Sage shook his head.

 

“Why? What is the difference?”

 

The Sage let out a silent laugh. “The difference in might and… You will not call upon gods to cleanse the site and burn away the rare advancement of magic.”

 

Mila’s thoughts raced. She tried to understand the implications of the man’s words.

 

“...Besides,” The Sage continued. “While I and my comrades have sworn to not interrupt the development of magic, the same is not true for you. Believe it or not, we are not pleased with the bloody path these Nobles have taken. And we won’t push Tordgo to become our enemy. We will give them a small time frame to do their best.”

 

“You will not stop it…” Mila didn’t understand. Then again, she wasn’t familiar with the inner workings of this organisation.

 

“But, you are welcome to try.” The Sage smiled. “And we will observe. While the Inquisitors and the Military cleanse with holy fires, you will destroy by other means. And much can be gleaned from a ritual failing. We would not be disappointed. And if you succeed…”

 

“You will invite me to join your cult again.” Mila finished the sentence.

The Sage laughed. “Yes. You are not wrong. Did the young elusive scout tell you that?”

 

“The Messanger, yes.” Mila didn’t hide it.

 

“Hmm, is that how he calls himself these days?” The Sage hummed. “He is not wrong. So what will it be?”

 

“I will consider it if you keep my partner safe.” Mila was direct. She was aware of just how time-constrained they were. And the shadow of the past was silent, which was good news.

 

“Consider well.” The Sage nodded. “Go then. Gather your people and lead them here. I will give you a path forward and keep your girl safe. I promise.”

 

Mila gave a curt nod, then turned around and left. She ignored Andrew’s calls behind. He had messed up. Very badly.

Things are proceeding. I hope everyone is doing well.

Are you holding up well? I hope you are!

 

Don’t let the reality-eating shadow steal your dreams!

 

Cheers,

Chatting Enkiari

2