Chapter 150 – Fatigue
83 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The roars didn’t stop. With each reaching Mila’s ears, she was reminded of the anger Aaers felt as the ghost’s emotions spiked.

 

It was manageable at this point, as Mila had grown somewhat used to it. At points, it was a welcome distraction when her mind wandered back to Isabel.

 

“Here?” Helly frowned as she looked up at the pipes. “Did you follow these?” She then took out her pendulum and let it sway in the air. “This isn’t exactly leading to where me and Teeny need to go.”

 

Mila didn’t respond. She couldn’t reveal it was Aaers who had given her the direction.

 

“Nobody is holding you here,” Viola grumbled. “Why are you complaining when you can leave?”

 

“It is safer with Polonomia.” Helly shamelessly admitted. “She won’t defend your bunch, but I am safe with her. Besides, we are getting closer. It is just not the shortest path.”

 

“Could you keep your mouth shut?” Virr grumbled. “We will be found if you continue to yap.”

 

But his words didn’t bother Helly, who yawned. “Over these howls? Fat chance.”

 

Another roar rolled down the tunnels, emphasising Helly’s statement.

 

“Please do be quiet.” This time, Verte addressed the unruly women. “We don’t need more friction between our groups. It is counterproductive.” His calm demeanour and charming, disarming smile did make Helly close her mouth.

 

The corridor continued to expand in size. Soon, Mila stepped into a larger one, where the pipes above their head fed into one large, which then ran towards a place from where a singular inhuman roar came.

 

“Smells like trouble.” Viola sniffed. “There is one of those monsters there. And few other people.”

 

Mila nodded. “Laura. You’ll have to be the one to hold it back.” She looked at the woman. “Can you?”

 

“No other choice.” Laura checked her equipment. Her armour was the most intact of everyone in their group. The metal had lost its lustre, but there were only a couple dents otherwise.

 

But no one here thought Laura was capable of outright killing the monster. Even the woman herself had voiced her doubts.

 

Which left the task of targeting the only vulnerability they know of - the handlers, to Mila, Agata and Viola. The rest would help Laura and keep anyone else present busy.

 

With the plan ready, Mila snuck forward. The wide, open and mostly empty tunnel left much to be desired. She managed somehow, being the furthest ahead, but Agata and Viola had trouble with it. They both didn’t have the same skill and magic Mila did. In Viola’s case, the woman simply relied on her experience of being a spy. 

 

It didn’t take long for Mila to spot the hastily made fortification. It seemed that instead of patrolling, the defenders had decided to barricade important intersections and chokepoints. 

 

A logical choice and a very annoying one.

 

The raised wall with vigilant guards behind them and no visible doors made it impossible for Agata and Viola to proceed. Mila gave them a sign to stop and head back to warn the others.

 

What her comrades couldn’t do, Mila felt confident of doing. The wall was made of wood and metal pieces. It closed the path forward completely. But there were holes Mila could pass through.

 

Well, not exactly holes, but windows made for the defenders to see and attack from. And those were vulnerabilities in the defences Mila could exploit.

 

Mila lowered herself to the ground and crawled along the wall. Despite their vigilance, the standing guards were watching the space at the corner. They had missed her arrival. Now, by keeping herself low, she could avoid their gazes.

 

It wasn’t comfortable. Mila dragged herself forward while keeping any sound she could to a minimum. As she neared the makeshift wall, she stopped breathing entirely, choosing to move only when another roar shook the place.

 

Now that Mila was closer, she could see there was a hatch in the wall - large enough for the defenders to show the monstrosity through and sick it at whoever had the misfortune to be coming this way.

 

Mila counted the time. Her comrades should have arrived by now, waiting for her to either retreat or find a way in.

 

Feeling the air and the people behind the wall, Mila knew she could do it. Another few short sprints later, she wriggled herself next to the wall.

 

Slowly, Mila stood up. The guards weren’t nobodies. All of them were likely capable fighters in their own right. She could feel their presence, but they were overshadowed by the monstrosity’s overwhelming pyre of mana. 

 

Just like before, Mila could feel three people near the abomination - likely its handlers. They were her primary targets.

 

While still holding her breath, Mila peeked inside the opening in the wall. She was just barely tall enough for it.

 

From there, a bored woman looked back. Her eyes searched the corridor for anything unusual, missing the danger right beside her.

 

Not that Mila could strike right away without alerting everyone in the position. No, she had to get inside first.

 

But the two other openings were taken as well. Which didn’t mean Mila was out of options.

 

Instead of using the obvious windows, she found a loose metal plate that didn’t stick to the wall properly. From close up, Mila could tell this particular piece had been a piece of armour not long ago and was hammered into a plate to be usable as a makeshift material.

 

And after checking, Mila felt it give as she pulled. As a roar broke out of the creature’s chest, she pried the hole open, using the loud noise as a cover for her work.

 

It was enough. There was now a hole in the defences Mila could use. But before moving, she waited for another rage-filled, painful outcry from the pitiful creature.

 

Once it came a moment later, Mila bent the plate some more and crawled inside the newly created opening. As expected, the outwardly sturdy wall was not structurally sound. Heavy wooden beams supported the structure and gave it sturdiness, but there were not enough of those to cover the length of the corridor.

 

Squeezing herself through the hole was not easy. Before doing so, Mila had to bend some nails away to not tear herself into pieces. Every moment counted, so such delays were the most unwelcome.

 

But Mila succeeded. She was now beneath the guards, their legs now in front of her. And just like that, Mila crawled past them.

 

They were not her targets. Mila headed deeper into the enemy territory. She hid behind a box, then shot from there to a stack of spare materials meant to build the wall. Eleven people guarded the place. But only three occupied the walls.

 

The others rested, mostly in silence. It didn’t appear they expected to survive but were ready to fight nevertheless. The few whispers Mila heard caught, however, did show they had a plan.

 

What exactly, Mila couldn’t tell. It wasn’t like these pawns knew either. They were told there was a way out of the City for the nobles, guards and anyone else who was underground and doing their part.

 

And once Mila located the trio of the handlers, she saw them chatter almost carelessly. These were not simple pawns, and they likely knew more. Their body language showed trust in their leadership.

 

Likely, there was some truth to what was fed to these people. Mila doubted everyone here was so foolish as to commit suicide for someone else's gain.

 

As another roar broke out from behind the closed doors, Mila was almost in the striking range. She saw the eyes of the handlers move towards where the creature was. They tensed up as they pushed the raging monster to calm down.

 

Or perhaps they were keeping the poor creature angry on purpose. Mila didn’t know. And now that she was so close to the handlers, Aaers didn’t let her hesitate. She had to strike now.

 

Mila glanced around, checking if anyone else was paying attention to the handlers. They weren’t. In fact, the rest of the guards were actively avoiding looking this way. Not even a worried glance was sent despite the bone-rattling noise.

 

It made Mila’s work much easier. She brandished her dagger and sneaked yet another couple of steps closer.

 

Despite their notable mana pools, the handlers had all of their spare attention on chatting with each other and keeping the sick experiment in check. They didn’t expect an attack. They felt safe.

 

And because of that, when Mila’s dagger pressed against one of the handler’s throats and dug into the skin, they didn’t react. Her hand quickly drew a thin but deep line on the woman’s neck, leaving her without breath and soon - life.

 

The body in Mila’s arms tensed as it realised its soon demise. Almost gently, she let it go, letting it collapse where it stood.

 

With the first casualty, the conversations stopped. Mila, too emotionally drained and physically tired, barely registered her movement forward.

 

It was more on instinct and long ago imparted experience Mila moved. The hug she gifted to the next target took his life in exchange. The man looked down at the girl, who had suddenly appeared in surprise. The dagger buried deeper between his ribs, tearing his heart in pieces.

 

The third handler opened her mouth to scream. Mila glanced at her. The target was young - perhaps in her twenties. Inexperienced and likely foolish in her aspirations, the woman froze in front of Mila’s predatory gaze.

 

Another proof of the woman’s lack of training. Mila extended her hand and pierced the last handler’s neck. Only then did she break their locked gazes.

 

Mila had done what was needed. The rest was for her comrades to solve.

 

The most powerful roar thus far broke from behind the closed doors. It was confused and demanding vengeance. The monster began to realise It had regained Its freedom.

 

It was time for Mila to hide again. She had been spotted, but the guards would not have time to worry about her. 

 

Just as Mila slipped deeper into the tunnel, the boors behind her splintered as a huge body of muscle and bone barreled through them.

 

Mila erased her presence and glanced back. She hummed, glad she had managed to do everything so cleanly. “Did you help?” She couldn’t help but wonder.

 

After all, Aaers had promised to help. Mila cleaned her dagger while the monster began to tear apart the defences and the defenders.

 

To her surprise, Mila received a negative answer. “You didn’t?” She murmured. “That is… good?”

 

It meant Mila still had an ace in her sleeve, but also that she had performed much better than she had expected from herself.

 

While wondering what had happened and how to repeat it, Mila leaned against a wall and then slumped to the ground. She was exhausted.  She missed Isabel. It could be warmer. There was still blood oozing out of her cloak and shoes. Isabel’s smile would help with that.

 

It wouldn’t. That would be silly. Mila’s girl’s smile wasn’t magic, but it felt like one. It made her feel good. Mila wanted to feel good. It was impossible now.

 

The roars continued. Mila noticed her group arrive. Laura led the charge while the rest supported.

 

Mila knew she should help as well. But now that she was prone, it was hard to get up once again.

 

Besides, they couldn’t bring the creature down on short notice. Even Astra had struggled to keep the horror down.

 

“Push it into the room, then continue!” Viola’s voice rose above the sounds of battle. “We can’t defeat it like this.”

 

Good. Mila knew they would figure it out. She watched her comrades push and cut and bash the creature, making it slowly retreat.

 

Mila massaged her legs. The healing she had received from the Sage’s group felt hollow now. It had helped, but there was only so much that could be done against being tired. She needed sleep. And Isabel.

 

But instead, Mila had to head deeper into the tunnels. The creature had been contained in the room. It was time to proceed.

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

All work and no play makes Enkiari a dull cat

Cheers,

Enkiari - the dull cat

2