Chapter 5: Unexpected Turn.
210 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you! ... for helping me," a grateful woman said, presenting Yuna with a loaf of bread and 10 copper coins as her reward.

"No problem, ma'am, it's just a small favor," Yuna replied graciously, accepting the payment with a smile.

With that, Yuna bid the woman farewell, and a familiar blue screen appeared, signifying the successful completion of her quest.

>> Quest: Fetch Items! [Completed]

The relieved woman waved her thanks, her shopping burden now lightened with Yuna's assistance.

Difficulty: F

Requirements: None

Reward:

50 experience points

10 copper coins

10 loaves of bread

"Hmm... I didn't expect to get a quest right after entering the town... and these bread rolls are pretty good too," Yuna commented as she savored the freshly acquired bread.

Curious about the properties of the bread, Yuna employed the >>Appraisal<< feature to inspect its data and safely stored the rest in her >>Storage<<.

>> Solmia Town Bread [Tier: Normal]

A beloved staple among Solmia Town residents, this bread gained popularity due to a fortunate accident when the baker's husband spilled elegant wine into the dough, discovering the enchanting fruit as the main ingredient.

Effect:

10% HP regeneration

1% experience gain bonus

"Hmm... I see. *swallows bread*... Where should I go next?" Yuna pondered as she scanned the unfamiliar surroundings.

She recalled the simplicity of her first quest immediately upon leaving the training hall, and now she stood in a place she hadn't explored before.

Yuna retraced her steps, thankfully returning to the vicinity of the training hall.

"Phew... lucky I remember the way I took earlier... I can't believe I forgot about the map feature!" Yuna chided herself for her temporary lapse.

She sighed, then realized there was something important she had overlooked.

"Oh right, I didn't choose any weapons as my starting class because I got so caught up with that 'Skill Feature'... should I go back and pick any weapon?" Yuna pondered, glancing at her empty hands, devoid of weaponry.

Choosing a weapon as her starting class was optional, but it offered advantages in the early game, with unique buffs for each class when using its designated weapon. Furthermore, Yuna could utilize all basic weapons available in the training hall.

After deliberation, Yuna decided that making a selection at this point might be premature since she already possessed skills, making it less beneficial to earn points for other weapon classes.

She opted to wait until she reached a higher level and explored more advanced areas where class quests might emerge. The challenge was that she'd remain weaponless until then.

"Gee, why did the developers have to make things like this? They're just making it harder for people," Yuna grumbled, revealing a hint of irritation toward the game creators.

"Is there any other way I can get a weapon? Should I really go punching monsters outside tonight?" Yuna contemplated aloud.

After thoughtful reflection, Yuna remembered an online post about a quest within the town, providing a free weapon to players. The quest didn't appear too daunting, merely requiring patience as the weapon maker would regale players with his problems and life stories, demanding attentive listening to complete it.

"Listening to an old man's stories... not the easiest thing, especially when they go on and on, but I guess I can handle it better than sitting in a classroom," Yuna thought, recollecting her on-and-off attention during her school days.

Yuna consulted her map to pinpoint the location of the blacksmith, marking it for her upcoming journey.

"I wonder what kind of story he wants to share... maybe a tragic love story that never came true? Hahaha," Yuna chuckled, letting her imagination roam in anticipation of the untold tales.

...

The resonant chime of a blacksmith's bell echoed through the air as Yuna cautiously peered into the deserted blacksmith's shop.

"This blacksmith is deserted... where is everyone?" Yuna mused, puzzled by the complete absence of patrons and the lack of rhythmic hammering on anvils.

Closing the creaking door behind her, she ventured further into the dusty interior, her footsteps leaving faint prints in the settled grime. The sight of cobwebs festooning the walls sent a shiver down her spine.

"Hello? Is anyone here?" Yuna's voice cut through the silence, but there was no response, only an eerie stillness.

An unsettling feeling gnawed at Yuna as if she had stumbled into a horror movie, waiting for an impending jump scare.

Upon closer examination, Yuna noticed something on a dusty table in the dimly lit corner. Empty plates bearing fresh animal bones suggested recent dining. It was evident that someone had been in the blacksmith's shop, a realization that left Yuna even more uneasy.

"Hey, whoever's in here, come out now!" Yuna's command was firm, her demand for the hidden individual's presence clear.

The only response was the rustling of the wind, and Yuna began to develop a headache from this bizarre situation. It was becoming apparent that someone was toying with her using illusions.

"Oh yeah... I can use this," Yuna muttered as she headed toward the blacksmith's work area.

"They've exposed quite a few things here," Yuna remarked with excitement as she spied weapons displayed in a cabinet adjacent to the furnace.

As Yuna contemplated the weapons, the individual she sought finally revealed themselves.

"That's enough of our little hide-and-seek game... my friend," Yuna stated smugly, pleased that her stratagem had lured them from hiding.

"Hmph, don't touch that, girl... What do you want?" a burly man huffed, his irritation evident from Yuna's earlier antics.

Yuna chuckled softly and offered a playful apology, realizing that her actions might have been disrespectful.

"Sorry about that... uncle," Yuna said with a hint of jest.

"Unc... Uncle?! Hey, I'm still pretty young, miss... enough! Get out and stop disturbing me!" The man chided Yuna, his tone demanding her departure.

Yuna was taken aback by this abrupt change in behavior. The Solmia Town blacksmith had a reputation for being friendly and welcoming to anyone who crossed his path.

"... The blacksmith I heard about here isn't like this... what happened, Mr. Blacksmith?" Yuna inquired, wearing a puzzled expression.

The blacksmith, though still appearing irritable, reluctantly shared the events of a few months ago that had drastically altered his perspective on people.

A few months prior, it had been a typical day at the blacksmith's shop. Customers came in for his services, engaging in conversation, browsing his wares, and some even seeking apprenticeship. However, on that ill-fated day, a group arrived with a distinct lack of manners, causing disturbances and making off with the weapons he had crafted. Unable to stand idly by, he had attempted to intervene by using one of his own weapons, only to be thwarted by a magician who rendered him powerless, allowing the thieves to make their escape.

In his desperation, he had turned to one of his regular customers, someone who had frequently assisted him, but the person had merely watched with a sinister smile, then joined the thieves in pilfering his belongings. They even kicked him in the face before departing.

"That's horrible..." Yuna remarked, her voice filled with sympathy for the blacksmith.

"Look at this..." The blacksmith lifted his work apron, revealing that his right hands were now paralyzed.

"What... happened?" Yuna questioned in shock, her eyes fixed on the condition of his hands.

He explained that his hands had been immobilized after he regained consciousness. There had been no pain, just a complete loss of mobility, inflicted by another party.

"Why would anyone do that?" Yuna wondered aloud.

The blacksmith could only shake his head, the hurt evident in his gaze, as he watched Yuna, much younger and shorter than him, rise.

"I can give you a weapon and armor for free if that's why you came here... but I want you to help me find out who took my weapons and bring them back," the blacksmith said, his eyes sharp with determination.

>> Injured Blacksmith [Secret Quest]

Difficulty: Depends on the player's abilities.

Requirements: None

Being hurt emotionally and mentally is worse than physical injuries or enemy attacks. Find the culprits who stole the blacksmith's weapons and bring them back.

Reward:

100 experience points (for each weapon brought back)

1 epic-tier weapon (Player can choose the type)

1 set of Youth of Solmia armor

>> This quest cannot be declined <<

"What?! I've just started playing... and I've never heard of this quest before!" Yuna exclaimed in surprise.

9