I complain
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37

I Complain

 

“I’m tired of being threatened.”

Jiks and I were sitting on a couch looking out into the evening.  It was an odd view.  Fog filled everything at ground level, so it looked like this endless series of apartment towers were just floating on air.  We sat as we usually did, holding hands and sitting close.  He was good that way.  I was good too.  I had let him talk all the way through dinner.  He was excited about the new film (so was I) and gave me full updates on casting.  Fine.  I listened.  I waited.  All through dinner and then through our first few minutes on the couch.  He talked.  I listened.  I waited. 

Finally he seemed to have talked himself out.  My turn.  I pulled my hand from his and turned toward him.  

“If people would just stop threatening me.”

I had his attention.  He was confused, but he was listening.

“What people?”

“Let’s start with you.  I get a replacement passport and you threaten to have me arrested.”

“I never said I would have you arrested.  I just said it could happen.  I was warning you.”

“Warning me and forcing me to stay with you.”

“Not true.”

He took my hand and held it tight. 

“Mary, do I want you to stay with me?  Yes.  But be honest with me, and with yourself.  You are sitting here because this is where you want to be.”

I didn’t have a good answer to that.  And he was sitting close.  Did I mention he was a good-looking man?  And his eyes.  There was something endearing in his eyes.  Buried behind his black-framed glasses.  Maybe that helped.  You had to work a bit to see his eyes.  I was willing to do the work.  He looked at me and I felt my pulse jump a notch.  And I liked the way he held my hand.  Not too tight.  Not too loose.  A simple thing, but it mattered.

“So tell me, what happened to you today?  Who threatened you?”

“Two women.  One is a city official in Yangzhou.  She hired me to do those tourism videos.  The other was a woman from Beijing.  She said I had been invited to join the Writer’s Academy.  A great honor – according to her.  But it was for Chinese writers, so I would have to become a Chinese citizen.  I hesitated.  The Yangzhou woman made it clear I would accept.  Either I signed the papers, or my bank account caused trouble for me – and for you.”

I will give him credit.  He didn’t jump to quick responses.  He held my hand and studied my face.  He took my concern seriously.  That was probably the most reassuring thing he did that evening.  He listened. 

“You signed the papers?”

“Yes.  She said in ten days I would have a Chinese passport and a new ID card.  She also said not to use the passport.  I wasn’t going anywhere.”

“No, they want you here.  No question.  They want you here.  Is that so terrible?”

“Of course not.  I love being here with you.  But they could have asked nicely.”

“They did.  The Writer’s Academy is special.  Your membership will give you great power.  It is a huge honor.”

“It felt more like a trap.”

“It will make demands on you.  But truly, Mary, it is an honor.  None of my screen writers have been asked to join.  They would kill for an invitation.”

“I haven’t earned it, Jiks.  I made suggestions on one script.  Yes, I did more on this new film, but they don’t know that.  So why pick me?”

“Did they give you a reason?”

“They said the Academy needed younger members.  And more women.”

“Definitely true.”

“I am a young woman, but I am also an American.  Is that why they want me?”

“And if it is?”

“I fear being used.”

No response.  He let go of my hand and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.  I leaned my head on his chest.  Another skill of his.  Good hugs.

“They will have a plan.  Everyone from Beijing has a plan.  But you are clever, Mary.  You will do what needs to be done.”

“Maybe.”

“I will help.  In the meantime, we will make the best film made in China this decade.”

“I hope so.”

My face didn’t leave his chest.  His arm felt marvelous around my shoulders.  His other hand began stroking my hair.  Long hair.  Really annoying.  Lots of extra work.  But more for a man to stroke.  And he was good at it.  I closed my eyes and enjoyed the feel of his hand.  He was right, by the way.  Could I find some way to get on a US-bound plane?  Probably.  Lori had promised me help if I needed it.  Did I want that help?  Not as long as I had this couch, this man, and this man’s arm around me.

 

0