Chapter 14
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     It has been a more than few days since David and Gail drove Ricky back to the house, and David had left his Hummer in the hospital parking lot. Since he had a spare set of keys at the office, the director took it upon himself to retrieve the massive vehicle from the hospital lot. While his true motive was to take the beast for a joyride, he also wanted it park it at the Marshal's office, where it would stop accruing parking fees like it was currently generating at that moment. It was a nice gesture; one the director didn't think that David would have any issue with considering he was burning money away keeping it at the hospital like that. The director took his spare key out of his pocket and unlocked the door, and just as he was opening it, someone walked over and slammed it shut. The director looked back and was surprised to see who had arrived.

     "David?" the director said, surprised to see him. "I thought you were at the house with your brother."

     "I was," David said, taking the spare keys away from his boss. "You're not taking this thing anywhere."

     "Sorry," the director said, "I was just trying to help."

     "No, I appreciate the gesture," David replied, "I really do."

     "Then what the hell are you doing here?" his boss asked.

     "I'm saving your life," David snapped back, "There's a bomb under the truck. You almost went up like it was the fourth of July."

     "How do you know there's a bomb?" the director asked.

     "I just do," David said, breathing a sigh of relief. "I already called for backup and the bomb squad. They'll be here shortly."

     "This is crazy," the director said, "What the hell is going on?"

     "Jerry," David said, the first time used his boss' first name in a very long time. "I will explain everything when there's time, but right now you're going to have to trust me."

     "I do trust you," Jerry replied, "But where did this bomb come from?"

     As his boss made that statement, several men in suits similar to what the men in the past were wearing emerged from the hospital doors and one of the cars in the parking lot. David responded to their presence by pulling out a glock and taking a defensive position behind the hummer.

     "It came from them," David said to Jerry, gesturing to their new arrivals.

     "What the hell do they want?" Jerry asked.

     "Me, probably." David answered, "I suspect they're also the same people who shot my brother."

     "Damn it, I knew you hiding something!" The director replied, as Jerry wasn't the kind of man who liked surprises.

     "This is nothing compared to what I'm really hiding," David confessed, "Just the tip of a very big fucking iceberg."

     "Are you serious?" Jerry said, shocked. "What else is there?"

     "Not now, boss." David said, "I think we should take care of the shit storm that's about to come at us."

     "Marshal Jones," one of the men called out, "Funny how you knew there was a bomb in your vehicle."

     "You know how I knew," David called back.

     "That seems to confirm my boss' suspicions," the man replied, "Now come with us. You're outnumbered!"

     "Not for long," David corrected him. "I called for backup long before I got here, so your advantage is going to disappear very soon."

     "We don't need that much time," the man called out.

     "Whatever," David said, popping out from behind the Hummer and started shooting at the men approaching his hummer. The first few shots landed in the chest of the man shouting at him, killing him.

     That was when the other men starting firing back as David took cover behind his bulletproof truck.

     "Now I see why you like having a bullet proof truck." Jerry said, as he had his gun out too. "Why did you shoot that putz?"

     "He was in charge," David said, "I'm hoping the hole in leadership will buy Lindsay and the rest of our backup more time to get here. That and I wanted to let them know I'm not going to hesitate to shoot first, keep them on their heels."

     "Did you know that in historic battles, it was considered cheating to shoot the officers first," Jerry noted, "You're a dirty player."

     "I'm still here," David countered, "That's all I give a shit about."

     "If they get mad enough," Jerry noted, "What would stop them from detonating the bomb remotely?"

     David looked back at his boss and knew he was right, "Let's get the hell away from this thing... I'll cover you. Go!"

     David laid out some fire, and his boss moved away from the hummer and behind another car in the parking lot. The Jerry started shooting to let David get away from the car as well. They managed to move a few cars away when the hummer exploded, confirming what his boss had suspected.

     "Now I'm really mad," David said, through grit teeth.

     He popped up from behind the car they were hiding behind and took out two more of the foundation's thugs, tapping them both in the chest. Part of him was hoping they were wearing vests, but the leader he shot first was still lying on the ground, which eliminated that possibility.

     "This is why Lindsay puts up with you," Jerry noted, "You are a damn good shot."

     "Winner of the state law enforcement competition, boss." David reminded him, "Three years running."

     "Don't get cocky," Jerry called out, "They could still try to flank us."

     "I'm watching out for it." David said, laying down some more gunfire.

     "We keep shooting this much," the director added, "It's only a matter of time before it's called in and we have more cops responding."

     "That works to our advantage," David said, "Not theirs."

     No sooner had David said that, sirens and lights were coming in the distance and that as a sight for sore eyes. David was distracted by the oncoming cars that he missed one of the foundation's people sneaking him behind Jerry. David caught him sneaking up behind his boss, as he turned and gunned the man down before he could fire off a single shot. But another man that was behind him was able to fire, and tried to shoot David's boss who had no cover. David ran over to Jerry and pushed him out of the way, and taking the bullet that was meant for him as well. The bullet entered the right side of David's chest, causing a lot of damage almost immediately. Jerry was able to shoot the man before he could fire again, before rushing to be at David's side.

     "Damn!" Jerry said as he tried his best to put pressure on the wound. "Why the hell did you do that dumbass?"

     "I'll be fine, boss." David said to him, with blood coming out of his mouth. "Damn, that really hurts!"

     "Of course it does!" Jerry said. "You've been shot!"

     "Look out for more bad guys, boss." David ordered.

     "They're already gone," Jerry said, "There's a shit load of cops here now. I'm sure Lindsay has secured the area. Thankfully we're right beside a hospital, so we'll get you patched up."

     "Boss," David said, as he could barely talk, "Back up."

     "What?" Jerry said, confused. "What the hell for?"

     "When I stop breathing," David informed him, "I'm going to go off like a concussion grenade. So unless you want to lose your hearing and sight, then I suggest you back the fuck up!"

     Jerry didn't want to leave his side, but after all that had happened he wasn't ready to ignore the warning as he backed away from David. Lindsay was just arriving but Jerry grabbed her arm and pulled her back just as David stopped breathing and like Ricky had told him, there was a bright flash bang and when everyone else came to their senses, David's body was gone.

     The portal brought David back to the cave and the moment he arrived there, his chest was heaving and he immediately dropped to one knee. His lungs were still hurting, just not as bad as they were before he came back. David staggered back to his feet and stumbled out of the cave as quickly as he could.

     "Help!" David called out, "Someone help me!"

     As Gail came out of the house with Ousla, David fell to the ground.

     "David!" Gail called out, "Are you alright?"

     "I can't breathe!" David gasped.

     "He needs oxygen," Ousla said, "His system is in shock. His projection must have been killed."

     "I'm well aware of that part," Gail snapped back, "He was gone less than ten minutes!"

     The women carried David back to the house, and Ousla went down to the medical bay after they laid David down on the couch. She returned moments later with an oxygen mask to help him breathe as well as a needle that she poked into his arm to settle him down. Moments later, David closed his eyes and fell asleep as the drug was obviously a sedative.

     David slept for a few hours, and when he woke up that sharp pain he had in his chest had finally subsided. He was still a little sore but it didn't hurt when he breathed so that was an improvement. When he opened his eyes, both Gail and Ricky were in the room watching over him.

     "Hey guys," he finally said, moving the mask away so he could talk. "For the record, dying totally sucks."

     "David, you had us worried!" Gail said.

     "Sorry about that," David said, "I went to save my boss and found myself in the middle of a damn firefight."

     "How did you die?" Ricky asked.

     "Gunshot to the chest," David said as he strained to sit up.

     "That would explain his shock and inability to breathe," Ousla said, checking his vitals. "That wasn't a good way to go for his first time."

     "No shit," David concurred, "I'm still sore."

     "It will fade with time," Ricky said, "I'll go get some juice."

     "I need to get to the old house," David said, "I want to sleep on the big couch in the living room."

     "Why?" Gail asked.

     "If I know my boss," David said, groaning as he stood up. "He's going to be here sooner than later to look for answers."

     "He probably still thinks you're dead too!" Ricky said, thinking about it.

     "He was there when I spontaneously combusted," David added, "He's going to lose his shit when he realizes I'm still here. Make sure we have something strong for him to drink."

     "I got a bottle of Dad's favorite scotch in the den." Ricky offered.

     "That will do," David agreed, "That's the good stuff."

     It was a little bumpy, but Ricky helped David back to the old house, and not long after they arrived the door bell was already going off. Ricky sat his brother down and walked up to the door. When he opened it both Jerry and Lindsay were standing at the door. They looked somber and sad, because this was obviously their trip to inform the next of kin of David's death. Ricky looked at them both and greeted them with a pleasant smile.

     "Hey guys," Ricky called out, "Why the long faces?"

     Jerry looked at Ricky and there were already gears in motion as a man who was told by doctors would never walk again just walked up to the door to greet them.

     "How are you doing, Ricky?" Jerry asked.

     Ricky realized what Jerry was talking about and immediately reached over behind the door and grabbed one of Harv's old canes. "I'm getting better. Soon I won't be needing this guy to get around."

     "That's great," Jerry said, letting it go. "Listen, we need to talk to you about David. Something's happened."

     "Actually, I need to speak to you too." Ricky replied, "I have some very important information regarding what happened at the hospital."

     "You do?" Lindsay said, as she was always eager for new Intel. "May we come in?"

     "I don't mean to sound rude," Ricky started, "But David has been keeping a secret from the two of you... a big one. A secret about our family history and knowing it will change the way you look at, well... everything. So unless you want your mind blown, I'd recommend staying out here."

     "David already told me he was keeping something under wraps," Jerry said, "And after what I saw, I'd like to know what I'm dealing with here."

     "Me too," Lindsay said, despite the warning. "I want the truth."

     "Then come inside," Ricky said as he stepped aside, "Someone is waiting for you in the living room."

     The two Marshals walked into the house and as they strolled into the living room, David was on his favorite couch, smiling back at him and very much still alive.

     "Hey boss," David said, "Thanks for stopping by."

     "Son of a bitch!" Jerry said when he realized who was talking to him. "How the hell are you here? How are you still alive?"

     Lindsay however didn't say a word and stood there in shock at seeing a man she saw explode earlier that day now sitting on the couch, doing rather well for someone who combusted.

     "Take a seat guys," Ricky said, "I'll go to the den and get Dad's scotch."

     "Good idea," David said, enjoying the shocked look on his guest's faces. "I have a feeling these two could really use a drink right about now."

     "How is this possible?" Lindsay said, finally speaking up.

     "I'm not going to lie: this one's a dozy," David warned them. "I mean this is something right out a damn science fiction novel, and I mean one of those cheesy ones filled to the brim with clichés, bad twists and horrible one liners."

     "Just hit us with it," Jerry demanded, "Rip if off like a band aid and give it to us straight."

     "Alright," David said, "The short answer: I'm a time traveler."

     "Excuse me?" Jerry asked, dumbfounded.

     "Okay, the medium sized answer then." David said, shifting in his seat. "I recently found out that the family on my father's side has been traveling through time for several generations. I recently started doing it myself."

0