CHAPTER 3 THE POX
1.8k 3 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome to my home,” Gail said as we pulled up to the small house. It wasn’t any bigger than the cabin I had left that morning. A white panel home there was a small family car out front. 

 

The small town officer and I had left the diner after some more clarifying questions. Dark outside now, Gail Manny said we would go up to see the cabin tomorrow. 

 

“It’s not much, but it’s home,” she said. 

 

“It’s perfect,” I lied. I had stayed in bigger holes in the ground. But walls and a roof over your head were worth a lot. “You sure it’s not a problem?”

 

“Of course. My wife will love you,” she said with a smile. I frowned. Gail didn’t even know me. Why was she acting this way? Like we were best friends? And she was married to a woman? 

 

It should be around the year 2000. Same sex marriage sure as shit wasn’t legal back then. Especially in butt fuck Montana. 

 

The officer got out of the car. I followed. Snow crunching underfoot Gail knocked and opened the door. Loud music poured out of the open house as the officer and I walked in. 

 

“Millie! Millie!” Gail yelled over the music. It was some loud grunge rock or something. I didn’t recognize it but the other woman inside was enjoying it as she sang along. That was until she turned and noticed us. 

 

Locking her eyes with Gail she smiled. But when her eyes landed on me she stopped. Quick to shut off the radio she stammered as we took off our boots. 

 

“I didn’t expect a guest,” Millie said shyly. Walking over to us I studied her. About 5 feet 8 inches she had long curly black hair. Wide cheeks with some older acne scars she still appeared quite pretty. No real bust to speak of she wore a tight apron and some shorts. A bra was the only thing under the apron top. 

 

“This is Russ Willard,” Gail said, presenting me to her. She made a big deal out of it. As if I was some show horse.

 

“A boy?” Millie asked, shocked. Far more shocked than I thought was necessary. 

 

“In the flesh. Dick and balls and the whole 9 yards,” I said with a smile. Both women blushed. Gail chuckled. There was something very off about this situation. Both women were in their mid-twenties and had a few inches over me. Why did they blush after almost everything I said? Gail had taken every word out of my mouth like it was gospel. 

 

“When did you come to town?” Millie asked. Smiling at me shyly. 

 

“Let’s talk over dinner,” Gail said. “What are we having?”

 

“Lasagna,” Millie said. Turning around she quickly added a plate to the table. Spooning out more lasagna they sat together. The girls beamed a smile at me as we settled at the table. The smiles only got wider as I took a bite. 

 

I was hungrier than I thought as I ate it down and was asking for more. Millie gave me an ecstatic gaze as she scooped another helping out for me. Gail caught her up as I ate more slowly. 

 

“That’s just awful,” Millie said. Dabbing tears at her eyes I threw on a sorrowful look and asked for more food. “My lord you can eat, boy.”

 

“What can I say? I’m growing,” I said. “It helps that your cooking is so good.” Millie blushed. The couple held each other’s hands as they watched me. 

 

“And you’ve never left the cabin?” Gail clarified again.  

 

“Nope,” I said. Best to stick to being dumb. “Don’t know who the president is. Or really what year. I know my states and certain things. My mom taught me a little. But we didn’t have a tv or radio. I’d like to know what is out here. And also why everyone keeps giving me weird looks.”

 

“What weird looks?” Gail asked. 

 

“That one,” I said pointing at Millie. Her eyes were wide as she stared at me. Studying my every movement. Even my lips moving as I talked fascinated her. 

 

The women shared a look. “You know about the Pox right?”

 

“Which one?” I asked. 

 

“The Male Pox,” she added. 

 

“Can’t say I do,” I said. 

 

“Lord,” Millie said. “Not even that?”

 

“Nope. Treat me like a blank page and fill me. With knowledge this time. I can’t eat another bite,” I said, pushing the empty plate from me. 

 

“You know we’re in the US though, right?” Gail asked. I nodded. I assumed that since everyone spoke english and there were no accents. “About 100 years ago a pox went through the world. No one’s sure where it started. Only affected men. It killed quite a few. But the true issue wasn’t known for about a generation. Men born after the Pox had their fertility changed. There was an exponentially large amount of women born. It only got worse from there.”

 

“What’s so bad about women being born?” I asked. 

 

“Nothing,” Millie said. “But there were far more women than men.”

 

“How many more?” I asked nervously. 

 

“About 8,000 women to…every 1 male,” she said. My gut clenched hearing the information. 

 

“What?” I asked. Disbelief clear in my voice. She repeated the number. “That can’t be right. How?”

 

“No one knows. Even after all this time,” Gail said. 

 

“So wait…am I the only male around?” I asked. Still not fully understanding. 

 

Gail nodded. “You’re probably the first man to stop in this town in years. And you’ve been up the mountain this whole time? I knew Margaret. I never suspected.”

 

“Suspected what?” I asked numbly. 

 

“She was hiding a boy. It’s rare, but has been known to happen,” Millie said. “Some women are very…overprotective of sons.”

 

“Fuck me,” I said. “Seriously? You’re not shitting me? 8,000 to 1. That’s-that’s crazy.”

 

“It’s the truth. Has been for a long time.”

 

“Well damn. I’m like a unicorn or something then?” 

 

“Around here, yes. In a big city, less so, but still rare,” Gail said. 

 

I was quiet for a long time. “So what do I do?” 

 

“First we should go check on your mo-cabin. See if anything useful was left there. But we will have to call the government,” Gail said. 

 

“Government? Why?” I asked, still slowly coming to terms with the truth of this world I had been reborn into. 

 

“All men are registered, of course,” Gail said. “You are rare enough as it is. Inbreeding is a concern. Besides, if we can’t find any relatives of yours they’ll still give you a monthly stipend. Would be hard to survive without their help.” I frowned. I didn’t need anyones help, let alone the governments.

 

“I don’t like the government getting involved in things,” I said. Chewing my lip I was still in a bit of shock. 

 

“Let’s ignore that for now. I’m sure you’ve had a busy day,” Millie said. Picking up the plates she began to clean up. “You can stay with us for the night. We can worry about the other stuff tomorrow.” I nodded as I became lost in my thoughts. 

 

59