Chapter: 5
362 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As our group arrived at the sparring area Ludwin and Zena took up positions upon one of the numerous sparring fields.

While the rest of us stood to the side, our gazes focused on them.

But it wasn't just us.

I noticed several other mercenaries stop what they were doing and focus their attention on Ludwin and Zena. Whispers beginning to fly through the air as they did so.

"No way, isn't that 'Jade Spear' Fidell?"

"What does that little girl think she's doing, going up against the strongest mercenary around these parts?"

"I don't think I can watch this."

"Oh to be able to see the 'Jade Spear' in action. Today's my lucky day."

These and numerous other whispers and comments were spoken as more and more people appeared to watch Zena and Ludwin's fight.

"So, you're teacher is quite popular huh?" I mused to Elyon and Elsie.

"Yeah, he is." Elsie replied. A proud expression on his face.

"Ludwin is a great man. Without him Elsie and I wouldn't even be here right now." Elyon said. Getting a far off look on his eyes as he did so.

Deciding not to touch upon that I simply turned my full attention back to the battle.

Which is just about to begin.

Drawing her katana blade Zena pointed the tip at Ludwin, who in turn pointed the tip of his spear at her.

"Now don't be afraid. Come at me with everything you've got. I promise no matter how you attack me I won't kill you." Ludwin spoke. His voiced filled with a bit of arrogance as he did so.

'Now I know where Elyon gets his way of speaking from.' I thought.

Though in Ludwins' case he actually has the skill to back up his words.

"Big words. But let's see if you can still say them with such confidence in a few moments." Zena said.

She then made the first move.

Taking a step forward she instantly closed the distance between herself and Ludwin. Unleashing a slash attack towards his torso with her katana after doing so.

An attack which Ludwin easily blocked using the shaft of his spear.

The moment after this happened Zena unleashed a kick with her right foot towards Ludwins' gut. But just like with her slash he easily blocked it. This time using his free right hand.

"Excellent. For a young lady your age your skills are nothing to sneeze at. Still compared to mine I'm afraid they are sorely lacking in many aspects." Ludwin spoke.

"On that we agree." Zena replied. "But then, that is one of the reasons I asked for this sparring match in the first place. To improve those skills of mine." She spoke.

Zena then pulled her foot out of Ludwins' hand and took a step back. But after doing so she immediately stepped right back in. Starting to deliver a barrage of slashes with her katana as she did so.

Yet no matter which direction Zena attacked from Ludwin blocked each and every one of her strikes.

Left side, vertical, horizontal, right side, downward right slash, upward left slash, etc. Zena's blade moved in a blur and yet at the same time with intense precision, that would likely throw off most opponents. But now Ludwin.

Using the shaft of his spear he parried any slashes that came at him. The man didn't even try to dodge.

But what shook me the most is when I noticed Ludwin hadn't taken a single step back since the sparring match began. Letting me know he's not even truly trying against Zena.

I don't know whether to be impressed or angry at Lduwin for this.

After five minutes of continually slashing at Ludwin, and seeing she wasn't getting the results she desired, Zena stopped her assault and took several steps backs.

"I see." Zena mused. "Well if that isn't going to work, then try this on for size." She spoke.

A moment after Zena said this her entire katana blade became enshrouded in a dull blue aura. Letting me and everyone else know she had now decided to use Arts in this match.

The technique Zena is currently using is known as [Aura Blade] where she enhances the strength of her blade using her ki. It falls under the category of Blade Arts.

Since for different weapons there are different Arts. There are also Arts for unarmed combatants. Then there are some Arts that are just for general use.

Seeing Zena use this reminds me, I need to find someone to teach me Arts.

Because I want to add the techniques to my skill set, and I tried to learn them on my own and failed. No matter how many times I attempt to use Arts I remember from the game on my own I always come up empty. Telling me I am doing something wrong. As such I need a teacher.

'I wonder if Zena would teach me some Arts?' I thought.

I'll definitely ask her later.

"Here I come!" Zena exclaimed.

She then charged at Ludwin once more and slashed at him with her aura enhanced blade.

Despite this the man remained completely calm.

Soon I knew why.

Seeing Ludwins' spear become enshrouded in a dull blue color I knew that meant he is an Arts user as well.

So just like before each and every one of Zena's attacks was parried. Even the kicks she managed to get in were easily blocked by Ludwin. The man is reading her every move like its nothing at all.

While blocking Zenas' attacks Ludwin began speaking. "As I said before, for a young lady your age your skills are incredible. But unfortunately my skills are simply superior at the moment. So, what say we end this right here and now?"

"No, I can still continue." Zena immediately retorted.

Increasing the speed of her attacks as she did so.

Seeing this Ludwin was shocked for a moment, and then he actually took a step back.

His first step back since the entire sparring match began.

Seeing this Zena smirked.

'So she noticed he hadn't move as well.' I thought.

No, who am I kidding. Of course she would have. Zena is too good a warrior to not have noticed something like that.

As quickly as the shocked expression on Ludwins' face appeared it disappeared. "Well, it seems I'll need to get a bit more serious." He said.

"Please do." Zena spoke. A smile on her face.

The air became tense as everyone sensed this sparring match was about to go to the next level.

"Emergency! Emergency! Emergency!"

Though all that tension faded immediately when heard panicked cries.

Turning in its direction I, and everyone else, saw a blooded and beaten up mercenary with a look of horror on his face.

"Emergency! A large horde of monsters is attacking the road on the eastern side of town." He spoke.

Falling flat on his face the moment he did so.

But he had done his job. He had delivered the news.

Now it was our turn.

While one of the other mercenaries began attending to the downed man the rest of us immediately gathered any supplies and started heading for the eastern side of town to deal with the horde of monsters.

Since this is an emergency, and due to how the mercenary guild operates we must provide assistance if able.

For you see the mercenary guild is an organization unaffiliated with any one country or nation. Thanks to this the organization is allowed to set up in any place all across the world without issue. The guild is also not dragged into the politics or internal strife's of any country or nation. But to have this kind of autonomy the guild has agreed to honor certain stipulations. One of which being that if a critical emergency takes place any able-bodied mercenary in the vicinity of said emergency must provide assistance. Lest they be reported to the guild and stripped of their guild membership.

A horde of monsters attacking qualifies as one of those critical emergencies.

Hence why everyone is moving their asses right now.

In just under twenty minutes the group of us from the sparring match arrived at the eastern side of town.

The moment we did so we saw people running into town from the forest covered road ahead. Wounds covering their bodies, tears streaming down some of their faces, and pure and utter fear in their eyes. I even noticed a few people carrying corpses.

"Let's move!" Ludwin exclaimed. Leading the charge after he did so.

The rest of us following right behind him.

As we moved along the road it didn't take us long to run into the monster horde.

Which consists of a bunch of trees at least 9 meters (29.52 ft.) tall with arms and the faces of humans in the center of their trunks, and giant deformed plants with mouths filled with rows of razor-sharp looking teeth.

All of which are being delayed by imperial soldiers so the fleeing civilians can escape.

"What the, what the hell are Treants and Man-Eaters doing here?!" One of the mercenaries in our group exclaimed. "I thought those monsters only appeared deep within the forest and stayed there."

"It matters now why they are here. All that matters is that we must defeat them." Ludwin spoke. "Fire and wind magic users launched ranged attacks. Everyone else, with me." He spoke.

Ludwin then charged forward.

Everyone else following his command and lead.

Even me.

Drawing my blade I charged forward toward one of the Treants who was about to kill a downed solider.

"Not today!" I shouted.

Reaching the Treant I leapt up and kicked it directly in the face, sending it skidding back.

As I landed I saw the face of the Treant frown at me, then suddenly get an excited expression.

Seeing this I felt a shudder run across my entire body.

To say these Treant and Man-Eater monsters aren't creeping me out would be an understatement. But that's just another reason they need to die.

"[Wind Cutter]!" I exclaimed, raising my free hand in the direction of the Treant in front of me.

The moment after I did so a magic circle appeared in front of my palm and several blades of wind flew out of it and sliced up the Treant into pieces.

As it died it let out a painful wale.

Which I ignored and moved onto the next enemy.

In no time at all the other adventurers and I had dealt with almost all the monsters.

As we worked to finish off the remaining ones I noticed a man trying to free a soldier from under the debris of a destroyed cart while a Man-Eater approached him from his blindspot.

Seeing this I raised my free hand and cast [Wind Cutter].

The blades of wind sliced up the Man-Eater to pieces. As this happened I rushed over to the man and the soldiers and threw the debris off the soldier with ease thanks to my werewolf strength.

After I did so I grabbed the soldier and the man and dragged them to within the safety of the town.

The moment I put them down the man suddenly grasped my hand and shook it. "My thanks young man." He told me.

"Sure." I replied.

As I did so the man stopped shaking my hand and went to check on the soldier. "It's alright, you'll be alright now. Medic!"

"Coming right away Lord Kirkwood." A soldier replied the man's shout.

The moment he did so I recalled the lord of this town is a man named Kirkwood.

Which means I just saved the guy who runs this entire place.

Realizing this I smiled.

Since that means today was a good day.

Once I was sure lord Kirkwood and the soldier were being taken care of I returned to the battlefield to assist the others, only to see all the monsters had been defeated.

Upon seeing this I breathed a sigh of relief. Since that means the battle is over.

Even so I can't left myself relax. Since what that one mercenary said earlier is now at the forefront of my thoughts.

He said that Treants and Man-Eaters, the monsters that attacked the road, normally only appear within the depths of the forest. Yet today they appeared here and launched an attack at its outskirts.

Which leads to me think one of two things happened.

Either someone or something deliberately drove the Treants and Man-Eaters out of the deeper parts of the forest causing them to attack today, or the Treants and Man-Eaters simply migrated from the inner depths of the forest to attack us on their own.

Both scenarios are not good, but the former is especially bad if true.

Then that means there could be an even greater threat we haven't encountered yet.

As I contemplated this I suddenly felt a headache coming on.

Since I have a sneaking suspicion things are about to get worse before they get better.

***

(3rd Person: POV)

As Yrigend dealt with the aftermath of the combined Treant, Man-Eater attack in the depths of the Great Jord Forest a different event was taking place.

Standing in a series of ruins covered with moss and vines several cloaked figures moved with purpose.

They kept doing so until eventually they found themselves outside the ruins of a castle.

The moment this happened one of the cloaked figures spoke. "Finally, we have found it." They said.

After the figure spoke they and the others started moving towards the castle ruins.

The moment the group of cloaked figures crossed the castles threshold and entered it in a different part of the ruins in a room filled with complete and utter darkness two red dots suddenly appeared.

The two red dots being eyes.

 

17