Chapter: 7
720 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Cain: POV)

The following day the others and I arrived at the mercenary guild hall bright and early.

We then waited there for Oliver to arrive.

Which he did after a couple more hours. Along with several other mercenaries who had accepted Oliver's invitation to join this expedition.

Standing atop an elevated stage in the middle of the guild hall Oliver raised his left hand, and when he did so everyone's attention focused on him.

"Thank you." He spoke. "And thank you all for being here today and agreeing to join me and my men on this expedition." Oliver spoke.

He then went on to explain the details of the expedition.

Which were not complex at all. They were straight and to the point.

The expedition party would set out into the forest in two days time, and then make there way to the area where Treants and Man-Eater monsters are frequently noted to be seen. Once we arrived there we would then split into smaller groups and investigate the area for any signs of what caused the monsters to migrate outward towards the forest edge and attack the road.

If we learned nothing it would put everyone's minds at ease, especially the viscounts.

But my instincts are telling me we will find something.

The only question is what that "something" is going to be.

I guess I'll just have to see and find out for myself.

After Oliver finished his explanation, and handed out some basic instructions, the meeting was adjourned and we mercenaries left the guild hall to go begin our preparations.

My group working to prepare for anything.

Since there's no telling what's lurking in that forest.

***

My sword in hand I kept on high alert as I, my friends, and all other members of the expedition party walked through the Great Jord Forest. Going deeper and deeper into its depths as we did so.

Two days came and went, and now here are having begun the expedition.

Stretching my enhances, thanks to my werewolf lineage, as far as they could go I kept on alert. Ready to warn the expedition party if anything began approaching us.

Monster or otherwise.

Since that since of foreboding I got a couple of days ago after Oliver informed us about the expedition has only been getting stronger and stronger.

Yet with no proof of anything wrong, except for my own instincts, I know there is no way those in charge of this expedition are going to listen to my words.

That's why I simply waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I just hope it's not too horrible when it does.

Within a weeks time the expedition party reached the area of the forest where Treants and Man-Eaters are normally found.

The moment this happened Oliver assembled all of us and began handing out instructions.

"Alright, I'll go over the plan once more. From here on out we will split into smaller groups and search in the vicinity of this region of the forest for any clues as to why the Treants and Man-Eaters began behaving the way they did. If you find anything report it to the others groups immediately. Any questions?" Oliver said.

No one spoke a word.

"Alright then. Split into your assigned groups and begin searching the area." Oliver spoke.

The moment after he did so the imperial soldiers we brought with us, and us mercenaries split into our groups and began to search the area.

My group consisting of me, Azure, Sini, and finally Zena.

While Ludwin, Elyon, and Elsie went off on there own.

A plan we discussed beforehand before leaving for the expedition a couple of days ago. Since by splitting up we can cover more ground and hopefully solve this matter quicker. That way the caravan can finally start making its way back to the Vanaheim Republic once more.

Moving through the forest my group of four cut down several monsters, yet found no signs of what caused the Treant's and Man-Eater's to rush from the area like they did.

After three hours of searching we found ourselves taking a break in a large hollowed out tree trunk.

Getting a lap-pillow from Azure I thought about the expedition. More specifically what methods or ideas we could use to resolve it quicker.

Several minutes passed before I was pulled out of my own head by Azure gently stroking my hair with her left hand. When she started doing so I turned my head and looked at her face, seeing a gentle smile on it when I did so.

A smile that was so infectious I put one on my face as well.

"What are you thinking about?" Azure asked me.

"This expedition, and how to finish it sooner rather than later." I replied. "As well as how great this lap pillow is, and how soft your thighs are." 

"Fufu~ I'm glad you're enjoying it." Azure said. Continuing to stroke my hair gently as she did so.

The two of us falling into a comfortable silence.

Just silently enjoying each others company. An action we've been able to do much more smoothly ever since the twins and I defined our relationship as official lovers. I can also create this mood with Sini, or with both the twins at once.

What a difference putting labels on things make.

Azure and I continued in our own little world for some time, until we noticed a gaze upon us.

Which isn't Sini, since she is currently taking a nap.

No, the gaze in question belongs to Zena.

Turning my head in her direction I saw an awkward smile on her face.

"Not to be rude, but don't you think it's time we get back to searching the area?" Zena asked. "We only have a couple hours of daylight left after all."

"Yeah, sure." I said.

I then sat up from Azures' lap and stood up, stretching my arms after doing so.

Following me Azure stood up and also stretched. We then woke up Sini from her nap and she did the same thing.

Once all of this was said and done the four of us exited the hollow tree trunk.

Then the second after we did so several arrows as well as magic spells started coming at us from multiple directions.

"Scatter!" I shouted instantly upon seeing the attacks.

I then moved, as did the girls.

Thankfully we all made it out of the way in time.

As I and the others landed in new positions the arrows and magic spells hit the ground and surrounding area, causing a great amount of damage.

But the four of us ignored this.

Instead we prepared for battle and formed up in a circular formation, putting our backs against one another's to watch each others blind spots.

"How many are there?" Azure asked.

"I'd say about fifteen, maybe twenty." I said. Using my enhanced senses to judge the number of our attackers.

"It is definitely closer to twenty." Zena spoke.

The moment after she did so several figures appeared from inside the forest and surrounded us.

Looking at them I saw all of them were cloaks, each of which sported the same symbol.

The image of a white dragon in the shape of an infinity symbol, eating its own tale.

The moment I spotted this I knew exactly who were dealing with.

The Grabak Cult.

An organization composed of criminals and religious zealots who are the principle antagonists in the game. The members of the cult are responsible for most if not all of the tragedies and bad events that take place in the game. But more than that they are also the underlings of the games final boss, a being known as Nidhogg.

I figured after being reborn in this world I would eventually encounter them at some point, but for it to be her speaks volumes. Since that means these guys are most likely responsible for driving the Treant's and Man-Eater's out of the area, which in turn caused them to attack the eastern road of Yrigend the other day.

Basically this whole situation is probably all these guys fucking fault.

"It's the Grabak Cult." Sini spat.

"Yeah." I added.

"For these monsters I will show no mercy!" Zena shouted.

"Fufu, those are some tough words little girl." One of the cult members spoke. "But I think you are misunderstanding the situation a little b-"

*Shing!*

Before the cult member could finish speaking Zena was standing behind him, and his head was flying through the air. Having been severed from his body at the neck in one clean strike.

As the cult members head landed on the ground Zena turned a cold and murderous looked toward the remaining cult members. "Who is next?" She asked. Raising her katana in their direction. "Who will be next to be sent to the afterlife by my blade?"

"Don't get cocky bitch!" A cult member shouted.

"Yeah, let's show her whose boss!"

"Attack! Attack and destroy them!"

The moment the cult members began making another move my group made ours.

Since while we might be in the forest I see no reason to leave it full of such disgusting weeds.

That's why we're about to prune each and every one of them.

***

(3rd Person: POV)

As Cain's group began engaging the members of the Grabak cult that had attacked them, the very same thing was happening to the other groups that were apart of the expedition party.

All over the forest they encountered members of the Grabak cult and started fighting for their very lives.

Soon the forest was turned into a battlefield.

Hearing the sounds of battle all around them Ludwins' group, who had been taking a break near a river, suddenly prepared to join the fray.

"What do you think is happening?" Elyon asked.

"Obviously battles you arrogant-mouthed foul." Elsie sharply replied.

"I know that, I just mean what do you think caused the battle to start?" Elyon retorted.

"No idea. All I do know is the other members of the expedition party are probably going to need our help. So let's stop talking and get moving." Elsie said.

"Finally, something we can agree on." Elyon replied.

Just as he did so several Grabak cult members came out of the nearby forest and surrounded Ludwins' group.

The moment this happened Elsie drew her two large knives, and Elyon notched several arrows in bow. The two of them turning towards the cult members, preparing to engaged them in battle.

But before this could happen.

Blood flew through the air.

As some of it landed on Elyons' face he turned slightly in its direction to see the cause.

When he did so what Elyon saw filled him with various emotions.

Shock, fear, but most of all burning hot anger.

For the reason the blood flew through the air and hit his face was because Elsie had been stabbed in the gut.

By none other than Ludwin himself.

Cliffhanger! If you want to find out what happens next, then you'll have to read the next chapter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

13