4-0
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You wake up from the long and tiring dream.

It's morning and warm sunlight invites you to open your eyes.

Before you there is a window you use to sneak out of the house occasionally.

Also, before you there is yet another usual day at school.

You have to get up, wash your face, eat your breakfast, put on your school uniform,

and walk towards school. The time is of the essence, you don’t want to arrive late.

Furthermore the trip takes you about two hours but foot, just to get there.

 

You decide that there is no time to waste, hence you perform all your morning activities.

As you pick up your truck containing your school necessities you hear Emmi walking towards your room.

You don't want to startle her, hence you wait at the door until she opens it.

 

"Good morning young madam.” She bows to you.

“Good morning Emmi. I should thank you for earlier, since I haven't had the chance yet.” You reply with a curtsy yourself.

“Don’t mention it young madam, it was my pleasure to accomplish your request.” She politely explains.

“I will let you know, I’m thankful. If there is any book you would like to read, go ahead.” You point at the stack in your room.

“Understood. However, please do remember your duty.” She stretches her arm, pointing at the hallway.

 

What she wants you to see is the grandfather clock which shows that you don’t have much time to laze around.

As you peek through the doorway, you get surprised, and hurry in panic.

You pick up your school necessities and run to the kitchen, where your mother is waiting for you.

At the same time Emmi is there too, standing with a comb to fashion your hair.

 

“Please don’t run in the hallway, darling. ”Your mother lectures you.

“I understand mother, I’m sorry. ”You apologise.

“Well, it’s only natural for the young to be this frolic I presume.” She smiles at you.

“Of course, young madam was evincing her punctuality.” The maid adds.

“It is so mother, I don’t wish to exhibit bad manners as a school student.” You explain your mother.

 

On more pressing issues, you plunge the egg and toast into your mouth,

while Emmi fashions your hair while you eat.

Your mother, Beamortha, lets out a muffed chuckle, happy to notice your appetite.

She then tells you about a rumour she heard yesterday.

 

“Apparently there was a rumour spread in the village by someone.” Your mother mentions. “A famous musical is going to be staying in the town nearby. I wonder if we should meet him personally.”

“That can be arranged Madam.” The maid assures her.

“Say darling, do you have interest in music?” Beamortha asks you.

“I do hold interest mother. It would be quite fascinating to meet such a person.” You state.

“Yet, it would be most delightful if you would to impress him, don’t you think?” Your mother suggests. “After all, learning from a famous music artist is prestige.”

 

Apparently there is a famous music artist coming to the nearby town,

so your mother asks you if you would be interested in having him as your personal teacher.

His services are not cheap, you imagine, hence it is a give and take kind of deal.

If you were to benefit from his teaching you would have to be one hundred percent sure that you give your best.

 

“I understand, I will give my best mother.” You tell your mother.

“Of course you will darling. But do think about this as your first step to the salons.” She responds.

“I will be sure to be serious about it.” You assure her.

“And don’t get me wrong, nothing is official yet. You have time until winter to decide.” She informs you.

 

She also points that nothing yet is set in stone, that the teacher will arrive in winter,

and there is still a lot of time before you have to make the decision.

That being said, Beamortha also reminds you that you have to do good at your own studies.

You remark that there will be no problem and finish your breakfast, while Emmi finishes grooming your hair.

You put on your warm beret, your long shoes, your usual cloak and leave for school.

 

The weather is windy, but your layers protect you from the cold. You see clouds above,

birds flying and the wind blowing leaves as you walk through a peaceful landscape.

You wonder what the future will bring, now that you look forward towards opportunities.

 

“Hey Pyrie! Good morning.” You hear a voice.

“Oh! Good morning Ellien. You surprised me.” You say slightly perturbed.

“Ehehe~ You had your head in the clouds. I didn’t intend to startle you.” She explains herself.

“That is fair, it is my fault.” You nod.

 

You meet up with Ellien, your usual partner for the trip. You wave at her and she waves back.

 

“Say, I should say thank you, for everything.” She confesses.

“Is your father feeling well?” You ask curiously.

“Well of course. I meant that people have been more understanding, so to speak.” She explains.

“I see.” You acknowledge.

 

She expresses her thanks for that day, bowing deeply, but then returns to her usual timid self.

In order to ease the atmosphere, you decide to talk about the rumour you heard from your mother this morning.

 

“Ellien, I heard from my mother that a famous musician is coming to the town.” You say.

“Oh really? That’s what I heard as well.” She mentions.

“Do you know his name?” You ask her.

“No I don’t. That’s strange, isn’t it?” She tilts her head.

 

Since it is just a rumour for now, it is natural that they would omit his name before last second.

After all, if you would be a famous person yourself, you wouldn’t want unwanted attention.

 

“Say Pyrie, do you like music?” She turns to you while walking.

“I must say that I’m most interested.” You state.

“But have you ever listened to a performance at some point?” She inquires you.

“A live performance? I don’t think so.” You shake your head.

“I would like to. There was this one circus visiting one day when I was little.” Ellien explains.

 

She says that she would like to listen to music someday,

mentioning that at one point there was a cirrus trope visiting the village when she was young.

Ellien remembers that she was too scared to come close and covered her ears instead.

You giggle a little and promise that you will take her to a concert someday, since you are a little bit interested as well.

 

"That’s adorable. I hope I get a chance to show you a live performance one day.” You state.

“I hope so too. It would be fun, I think.” She ponders.

“Of course.” You agree.

“We could bring Minorta too!” She suggests.

 

While you pass time talking about your favourite instruments, you notice Minorta in the distance,

she joins you two and together, holding hands, all of you continue your journey.

Comparably, Minorta prefers to listen to the sounds of nature, while Ellien simply enjoys silence.

At some point they both turn to you, asking what kind of music do you prefer.

 

“What kind of music do I prefer? I would probably go with the sound of nature.” The blond haired girl says.

“You like listening to the wind while lying on the ground, isn’t that right Minorta?” Ellien asks her friend.

“Of course, I could not imagine anything more enjoyable than that.” Minorta replies.

“How about a fortepiano? Have you ever heard that?” The green haired girl inquires.

“I know how a flute sounds, but that’s about it when it comes to orchestra.” The girl with emerald eyes explains.

 

After a while you hear a pleasant sound. You look around and notice someone singing a song.

 

“La la la~” Ellien sings.

 

Ellien is surprisingly a good singer, in contrast to her usual quiet tone, you nod.

You and Minorta try to match her voice and sign together.

 

“La la la~” Ellien sings.

“Lala~” Minorta joins her.

“La la – la la…” You also join.

 

The three of you ran out of song ideas and eventually stop singing all together.

You do feel a little embarrassed however, since you don't know any of these songs.

Luckily, they either pretend that they didn't hear you messing up the lyrics,

or that you actually have some potential to become a singer.

In any case, the three of you arrive at the school gates once again.

 

“Here we are.” You say as you look around.

“There are quite a lot of people here.” Minorta notices.

“I noticed that too. Perhaps we are a little late?” Her friend suggests.

“I have lost track of time when you started signing, Ellien.” The blond girl jokes.

“It’s not my fault.” She replies. “Let’s just hurry okay?”

 

The crowd of people head towards the main door, it’s a little more that you are used to.

You recognize some faces from before, though you don't know their names.

You ponder if you ever will have a chance to know them better.

As you enter and take off your warm cloak and shoes, you exchange gazes with fellow students.

As you pass the hallway, they bow to you with a graceful greeting and you reply with your own.

 

“Good morning Pyrecilla.” You hear.

“Good day Pyrecilla.” A female student bows to you.

“Good morning to you too.” You say as you drop a crusty.

“Hello Pyrecilla.” Some other student says.

 

 It might be just your imagination, but for some reason they started to respect you more.

Was it the incident during physical education, you ponder.

A lot has happened afterwards, a lot of different events, a lot of days passed.

You probably forgot about that young lady you had a scuffle with at some point.

This treatment makes you a little nervous, though you can get used to it, you tell yourself.

As you, Minorta and Ellien enter the classroom, you attract everyone’s gazes.

 

“Good morning everyone.” The three of you say.

“Good morning.” You hear.

“Good day.” Another female student says.

 

You notice that even if everyone is quite nice today, your friends seem a little timid.

Ellien is the one trying to hide behind your back while Minorta looks at you with a weird expression.

You stand for a second at the doorway and enter the classroom,

while your friends decide to follow you after a while.

 

The three of you enter a room full of students. It seems everyone is here,

including the teacher, so the lesson can start.

You three take your usual spots and sit down. Today’s subject is history,

history of music in particular. You and your friends look forward to the lecture.

 

“Each symbol here is a note. Some are special notes that indicate a pause or a longer than usual note.” The teacher explains. “How high the note on the sheet is shows you the pitch, and the shape tells you about the duration.”

 

You learn about basic music theory, how to read notes and what each special sign means.

It all sounds fascinating, but it's a little tough to get into your head without actual practise.

 

“Now let's get started. You all know this person, right?” The teacher shows you a painting of a famous compositor. “You wouldn’t believe if I told you that he was your age when he first composes his first piece? It naturally means that he had a lot of talent, but in truth it was his father who pushed him…”

 

 Indeed, it all sounds fascinating, though you don’t know how this would help anyone with becoming a better musician.

The teacher talks about the history of music and how it was popularized.

A few people at some point had the idea to travel from country to country and perform on big stages.

 It was similar to how a circus trope functions, but when it comes to the music of high classes,

it's "good" because there is an expensive ticket you have to buy,

because there is a general acceptance within the critic community,

and because the music is full of hard to understand but easy to emphasize with stories.

That's what the lecture was about, or at least that’s your impression of it.

 

“So I hope you all you young ladies learned something about music today. It’s a wonderful to express your feelings.” The teacher pauses and then continues. “There is nothing wrong with pursuing a career that comes from passion, and there is nothing wrong with doing it for art itself. Thus, knowing so, I hope that a good future will come to you.”

 

At that point, the janitor walks through the hallway and rings his bell loudly.

It's break time, you rejoice. It takes some time for the teacher to notice that he has to end his lecture.

You pack up your notes and head towards the mess room with the rest of the students.

 

“That was interesting, don’t you think Ellien?” Minorta asks her.

“I never had plans to become a musician, but it was interesting I guess.” She replies.

“What about you Pyrie? Are you going to become the next...” The blond haired girl turns to you.

“Of course you’re joking. I don’t have the talent nor the experience.” You answer.

“But you are still young! Just give it some thought.” Minorta suggests.

“Yes, but do you think Pyrie could become good at music?” Ellien voices.

“Of course! She is good at anything if she focuses on it!” Your emerald eyed friend states lively.

“Good morning.” You say to the maid who notices you, while ignoring your friends’ conversation.

 

You talk about what is going to be served today, while the three of you sit down.

The maid arrives with the trace and presents to you your lunch.

You are pleasantly surprised that it looks delicious and appetizing.

However, at the same time you notice a student that is looking for an empty seat.

 

“What, who is that girl?” Minorta whispers to her friends.

“It’s that orphan who lives in the church, isn’t it?” Ellien suggests.

“That’s her! The same one that was talking to you in the library Pyrie.” The blond haired girl says while looking at you.

“That is true, yes.” You nod. “But I wouldn’t really say we talked. It’s more that she wanted something from me.”

“What’s her name?” Ellien asks you.

“It’s Acculina.” You respond.

 

It's the library keeper from the church, you notice, and your friends are happy to see her.

Your frisk friend beckons her to sit beside you, which she fortunately notices.

You, Ellien, Minorta and Acculina now look at each other and smile.

Only you start to feel a little uneasy, but you all manage to hold a conversation together.

 

“Hey Pyrie, it’s nice to see you again.” The librarian girl greets you.

“Likewise Acculina.” You bow slightly.

“Say, did you finish the book I gave you? I only have one copy of it.” She tells you.

“What book?” Ellien asks.

“The Blind Flower.” Acculina informs.

“Oh that! It’s quite popular among girls. I could never get the time to read it however.” Ellien replies.

“Neither did I!” Minorta jumps into the conversation. “It’s nice to have a maid, isn’t it Pyria?”

“I let you know that I do clean my room on my own.” You inform her.

“Of course.” The blond girl smiles.

 

Of course she had to talk about the book you rented, you sigh.

Luckily for you, Minorta manages to misdirect the conversation, for better or worse.

 

“So what about you? What do you do when you don’t go to school?” Acculina asks you.

“Anything a young maiden is supposed to do, like study or help out at home.” You state.

“That’s boring though. Is there really nothing interesting you would like to share?” She gets excited.

 

The white haired girl gives you a wink and asks if there was something interesting that happened to you lately.

You mention the rumour that a famous musician that is apparently coming to the town.

 

“I suppose you know about the news lately.” You tell her while your friends listen. “During the winter a famous musician is coming to the town, or so I heard.”

“I heard about that too!” Acculina states.

“Furthermore my mother expressed her idea to visit that person.” You add.

“You must consider yourself quite lucky, huh?” She inserts.

“On the contrary, she considers that as an opportunity for me, so that I’m expected to impress the maestro.” You explain.

“With your music abilities?” Ellien asks.

“I suppose so, though I doubt I could learn an instrument within the short time frame.” You say while you worry.

 

It is true that you are not certain if you can make a good impression without knowing your abilities.

However, there is also a possibility that he would be interested in your other qualities.

Perhaps your knowledge would be impressive, or the rate you improve under his wind, you ponder.

 

Time passes as you imagine various scenarios and food from the dinner plates disappears.

While the maids arrive to pick them up, the four of you stand up and head towards the next class.

It's mathematics, not a favourite subject for everyone, you figure.

As you sit down and the teacher enters, he announces that today,

for your assignment the class are to join up in groups of at least three,

thus many of the students start looking around for a suitable partner.

 

“We have three here, correct?” You notice.

“We have four if you include Acculina.” Ellien informs you.

“Then I guess I was mistaken.” You nod.

“I mean Pyria, the teacher would allow for a single group of four, right?” Ellien says.

“And she is sitting here alone so let’s ask her.” Minorta suggests.

 

You decide to create a job with Minorta and Ellien,

at least that is what you have been planning until...

 

“Hey, would you mind if I joined you?” Acculina walks towards you and asks.

“Not at all.” Two of your friends say.

 

It seems Acculina also joined your group, but it's better to say that she inserted herself in.

However, there is one pair that lacks a third member,

Harrivetta and some other girl you haven't introduced yourself to yet.

The teacher notices this and asks you to join with them.

 

“Since you ladies have four members, wouldn’t it be tolerable if one of you could join them?” The teacher asks you as she points towards Harrivetta and the other student.

“Of course.” You say and stand up.

 

You excuse yourself politely and comply with the teacher’s request.

It is only fair since your group had four members, you sigh.

Sitting down next to Acculina you introduce yourself to the other student.

She is quite tall, well built and slender, but shorter than Harrivetta.

Her brown eyes hide behind round glasses and she fashions her plum long hair with pigtail braids.

 

“It’s a pleasure to be working with you, my name is Pyrecilla Abronova.” You drop a crusty.

“Hello. My name is Tzishishe. People find it hard to say that, so they just say Shishe.” The girl wearing glasses says.

“I understand, it’s an honour to meet you Shishe.” You shake your hand with her.

“Likewise. I heard your name many times already.” She replies.

“I feel flattered to hear that.” You admit a little bit embarrassed.

“Please sit yourself Pyrecilla.” Interrupts Harrivetta.

“Yes, my apologies.” You bow down to the blond girl and finally sit down.

 

Her name is Tzishishe, a hard to pronounce name, hence she asks everyone to call her Shishe instead.

She is also quite focused on the problem the teacher handed to her,

thus she makes no small talk splits up the work between your group.

 

"Do you mind me doing this part?” You ask Shishe.

“Of course not.” She tells you.

“Then you leave me with no choice but to care for the remains.” Harrivetta states.

“Are you sure? If it’s too difficult let me know.” You offer her.

“Worry not. It’s certain there will be no problems.” She rebukes.

“You two, just do them and stop fighting. It’s pointless.” Shishe mentions, annoyed.

 

You and your blond friend agree, and start reading the questions you two were assigned.

They don't appear too difficult, you can understand most of the tasks.

However, the questions are formed especially devious. They use high number,

the wording is strange, and you don’t know what exactly is expected of you.

It is going to take you a while before you can actually go into solving, you sigh.

There is also, of course, the form you have to keep in order to score the most points.

It's a little pointless to do, you figure, but since every other girl in the class is doing it, you might as well tough it out.

 

“Are you finished yet?” Harrivetta asks you.

“I need to write this first.” You say while writing details.

“Of course, take your time.” Your friend informs you.

“That’s what the teacher told us to do, after all.” You sigh.

 

After you are done, you hand out your paper to Harrivetta and she gives you hers, to mutually check if everything is correct.

Her handwriting is simply beautiful, compared to yours at least.

You take a moment to appreciate it before reading into the question.

It's correct, you find no mistakes. Once you finish you look back at her.

She covers her face with your paper, and as she finishes checking it,

she reveals her awry expression on her maidenly face and hands your assignment back.

 

"This is…” Harrivetta pauses while looking at your paper.

“Is there something wrong? Please do tell.” You ask her intrigued.

“I dare to say, you maid must be slacking.” She states

“Pardon?” You tilt your head.

“This handwriting is the most aberrant craft of them all.” Harrivetta says and pauses. “Consider yourself an artisan, Pyrecilla.”

“Right, thank you for your opinion Harrivetta.” You say while lowering your head.

 

It was correct after all, you see no error marks.

However, her reaction must have been because of your handwriting, you figure.

You feel a little embarrassed, thus you decide to look at Shishe, who is still brain storming the problem.

However, you can see that her writing shows that she did finish.

You ask yourself a question, exactly what is she thinking about right now.

 

“Are you okay too Shishe?” You ask her.

“Is there any problem I can assist with?” Asks Harrivetta.

“No, don’t bother me.” Shishe replies and after a while continues. “It’s just all this pointless overcomplicating appears to be a deliberate attempt at undermining students.”

“I suppose it’s fair to think that.” You tell her.

“However, without challenge one is not tested. Take is a test of equanimity.” Harrivetta says.

“But when the problem is time limitations, a faster method would be the solution.” Shishe explains. “Then you would have more time to inspect your calculations again.”

 

Harrivetta asks her if she needs help or something, but that's not needed.

The problem, she explains, is that there must be a different, more efficient way of calculating bigger numbers.

Obviously, you can think of one, but that isn't possible in this era. Instead you tell about something that might be useful.

 

“If only there was a more practical way…” Shishe wonders.

“I know of the multiplication by using a grid.” You say while presenting the method. “You write it so that you multiply each individual number and write them down as so.”

“And then?” Shishe asks looking at your paper curiously.

“And then you read the product from right bottom to top left.” You write down the number.

“But isn’t this just Long Multiplication but turned by 45 degrees?” Shishe notices.

“I suppose you are right.” You say. “However, if you memorise the basic table, it’s easier to input just the numbers and go from there.”

“I see you point, it’s less impact on the brain.” Shishe states, fixing her glasses.

 

Though, you do agree that it would be useful to know a better way, if there is one.

 

“Yet, both ways require diligence, there is no easy way.” Harrivetta adds.

“That is true, there is no easy way.” Shishe admits. “But that doesn’t mean there is no better way.”

“Imagine you are right. What purpose does it serve if you don’t know?” The blond girl poses a question. “Be thoughtful for the present and practise with what you have.”

 

Harrivetta on the other hand, remarks that currently this is the best they know,

and all of the students should practise it to perfection, rather than look for new solutions.

Of course, you want to disagree, but then you imagine what is going to happen next.

The three of you are probably going to quarrel over something trivial,

and that's not a good thing to do in the middle of the classroom.

Instead you plead that three of you should simply hand over your papers to the teacher,

because there is no way to resolve this problem between you three.

 

“Thank you miss Abronova.” The teacher nods when you hand over the paper.

“And miss Francishia.” He says as Harrivetta hands over hers.

“And miss Kyashumurabi.” He says with difficulty.

“It’s Kshumrabi.” Shishe corrects him.

“Right. You are free to go now.” He nods.

“Excuse us.” Harrivetta says as the three of you bow down.

“By the way young ladies, I have heard your conversation.” He mentions.

“So? Who do you think is right?” Shishe rapidly turns towards him.

“I believe as an authority of education I have to follow the program.” He says. “Currently we don’t allow for calculation devices simply because we want young students to learn without them. That is to say I am, by no means, against them.”

 

The teacher, despite being a figure of authority, delivers a vague answer that supposed to satisfy both,

simply because this is the standard he has to teach to the students.

Harrivetta then releases a dignified "humph", and leaves the classroom upset.

You leave through the door as well, followed by Shishe, who is a little disappointed as well.

 

“So what again is allowed now?” Shishe complains to you. “Would it be abacus or the multiplication device? Couldn’t he be any less specific?”

“You can ask him. You still have the chance.” You suggest.

“I really shouldn’t. That would be overstating my privilege as a student.” She speaks and then adds. “Also in the eyes of others it would feel like I taunting them. Not only a model student, but knows how to use the abacus. What gossip would that be.”

“I suppose your argument holds some merit.” You nod.

 

Between you two talking, your other friend looks to be occupied by something else.

 

“I need a moment. Would you forgive me if I were to excuse myself here?” Harrivetta asks the two of you.

“Very well. I think the bell is going to ring soon. Take your time if you must.” You say.

“Right, it was fun talking with you Harrivetta.” Shishe tells her.

“I also require your attention later.” The blond girl looks at you. “Will you wait after classes?”

“Of course. What seems to be the issue?” You ask surprised.

“I will tell you later. Right now my mind is on Davithea.” She tells you and leaves.

 

Harrivetta explains that she needs to check up on Davithea, since she often has problems with mathematics.

She is also a primary school student, so she doesn't share advanced classes with the older pupils.

 

“Maybe I should…” You try to suggest.

“I think I can manage on my own, miss Abronova.” She responds with her back turned.

 

You ask if you can come with her, but she says she will be okay, though she does mention that she wants to meet you after school.

You return to the classroom with Shishe and return to you friends, Minorta, Ellien and Acculina.

 

“Welcome back Pyrie!” The librarian girl says.

“Hello again.” Ellien speaks.

“Good day Pyrie, and hello…” Minorta stops looking at the pigtail girl.

“You can call me Shishe.” She shakes hands with all your friends, one by one.

 

You take a small glance at the papers they were working on all this time.

It seems that, for some reason, their problem was a lot easier.

So each problem is scaled accordingly to the individual student's ability,

and you just happened to the top of the class, you figure.

After you sit down, the other girls start asking what happened between you and Harrivetta.

 

“What happened to Harrivetta?” Ellien asks you.

“Well we talked and she needed to go.” You inform your friends. “She should be back once she is finished.”

“Is that so? Well what did you guys talk about?” Acculina query you.

“Nothing usual, but I have to stay after classes.” You say.

“Does that mean she wants to challenge you from a duel?” Minorta jokes.

“That’s not the case.” Shishe points out for you. “The teacher wouldn’t permit such sports.”

 

You say that nothing important happened, but you have to stay after school.

It's not necessarily a lie, but the way the conversation went, it appears as if the teacher wants you to stay.

 

“Let’s just say that the teacher asked me to stay personally.” You tell them.

“So did really do that bad?” Minorta inquires.

“I hope not. What I meant is that he wanted to talk about more advanced classes.” You explain.

“Does that mean you will be in class with the gents?” Ellien asks.

“No, that would be terrible!” Acculina asserts.

“I am not sure either.” Shishe states. “She just needs to stay after classes.”

 

Additionally, you emphasize that this is not because you got something wrong,

but rather you are given a special, more advanced, assignment.

They naturally don't believe you, but when you look at Shishe, she nods, and your story becomes credible again.

 

“Thanks.” You whisper to Shishe when no one looks.

“Don’t mention it.” She replies also whispering.

 

With that, the bell rings and the teacher, followed by everyone else leaves.

You however stay inside and wait for your friend to arrive.

At some point the teacher returns to the classroom, asking if you saw his trunk.

You shake your head. Then he asks you why you are here.

 

"Right. Is there anything else I could do for you miss?” He asks you.

“I happen just to be waiting for someone.” You confess to him.

 

At the same time your friends, Minorta and Ellien, look at your direction.

What they see through the classroom window is you talking with the teacher.

 

“I see. I hope you have a good day then, miss Abronova.” He handles you the key. “And, you are doing well, your math skills are admirable. In case you feel the normal curriculum below your ability, I would endorse you to ask me for more advanced problems.”

“Of course. I will keep that in mind sir.” You bow and the teacher leaves.

 

Right, because he actually asked that, you figure that the lie you made is now made even more truthful.

You truly are a genius when it comes to social mathematics, you boast.

The teachers entrust the key to the classroom to you and departs.

You wait for Harrivetta, while looking out of the window.

There is no one that can see you now. However, as time passes, nothing happens.

 

She must have forgotten perhaps, you figure. You decide to go outside and look in the hallway.

There, for a very brief moment you can see a silhouette turning a corner in the distance.

You quickly take your stuff, lock the classroom door, and run as fast as you can after it.

As you follow the sound you reach the cloak room. Inside you can see two girls.

One of them is putting a coat over a small child. You recognize them, they are Harrivetta and Davithea.

 

“Hello there.” Says the surprised child.

“Pyrecilla! Do not approach a lady from behind!” Says the startled blond girl.

“I didn’t mean to! I apologise.” You bow.

“Very well, I suppose I was at fault as well.” Harrivetta bow to you.

 

The two of you awkwardly bend to each other, in a contest of endurance.

Neither she nor you rise for a moment, each trying to look if the other moved.

As eventually Davithea looks at you both and giggles a little, both of you go back to normal.

 

“You asked me to wait, and I was.” You inform your friend. “Did something happen?”

“Nay, I found that Davithea was more important for the moment.” She answers you.

“So you would have come if I waited a little more?” You ask her.

“Right, I was heading towards you next, after I would finish here.” The blond girl explains.

“Harrie, you could have told me!” The little girl speaks to her senior.

“That’s right Davithea. I suppose you are correct.” She tells her while squatting to her level.

 

The two girls before you look very close, almost like a family. The little girl is especially adorable,

with her little small mint eyes, round face and short black hair tied with ribbons.

However, you never see Davithea without her usual “older sister” so to speak.

 

“Well Harrivetta. You wanted to ask me about something, right?” You get the blond girl’s attention.

“Right, we might as well do it here.” She replies as she stands up.

 

You decide to ask Harrivetta about the issue she wanted to discuss.

After all, you were waiting all this time in anticipation for this moment.

 

“I have to first apologise for my behaviour earlier.” She explains. ”Because it was a bad manner for me to leave on such short notice.”

“I believe there wasn’t a problem. The teacher said we were free to leave after all.” You explain and she nods.

 

She briefly apologises with the excuse that she was taking proper care of Davithea at that time.

You tell her to pay no mind and plead to continue on with her issue.

 

“Right. I must tell you that this comes hard for me.” She takes a deep breath. “First, you must have heard about the famous musician coming to the town, correct?”

“You needed to say more. I’m aware of the rumour.” You acknowledge.

“I know it too! His name is Bahik Salayev.” Davithea adorably interjects into the conversation.

 

Harrivetta stops, smiles and pets her little head. Afterwards, she begins her explanation.

 

“Here is the situation.” She looks at you with serious eyes. “I want to invite you to our mansion, for the duration of the winter break.”

“Invite me? That would be lovely.” You reply.

“Do you agree? Don’t you need to think for a minute?” She raises her brow.

“I presume there are no problems, yes? I simply exhibited my initial interest.” You continue.

“But hear the circumstances first.” She says. “Currently we will be awaiting a guest. You can already guess who it is going to be.”

“I presume it is the man you spoke about earlier, correct?” You inquire.

“Correct, furthermore I am to receive tutoring from that person.” Harrivetta looks at you with pride. “However, it wouldn’t trouble me if you were also to join. Take it as a test, if you will.”

 

Because she will be receiving a special education from a tutor this winter break,

she asks if you wouldn't be interested in sharing it with her, in her mansion.

Naturally, this is a big request you would have to think about for a while, but there is more.

She mentions the famous musician you heard about. It's him who will be giving lessons to Harrivetta.

 

“So you are saying that you the Salayev is going to teach you music?” You tilt your head.

“Yes that is correct.” She boasts. “Are you impressed?”

“I have to say that’s quite splendid.” You tell her. “However, winter break is still some weeks away. I suppose I would be happy to join you at the mansion, but I would have to inform my mother first.”

“Is miss Pyrecilla going to stay with you Harrie?” Davithea asks her friend.

“I believe that is up to her, my dear Davithea.” She mentions and turns back to you. “As for you Pyrecilla I shall let you know that the idea is my father’s. Do not question why.”

“I understand. I will be deliberating about it.” You assure your friend.

 

You are given plenty of time to decide however, no need to hurry, you tell yourself.

Naturally you also know what is the noble young planning in her head.

It's very clear that she wants to see who will perform better at music classes, you or her.

However, she also wants Davithea to open up to others. It's her who she takes most care of.

You nod, and say you will make your decision after you talk with your mother.

 

“That would be all. Thank you for your time and pardon us.” Harrivetta bows formally to you.

“The pleasure is all mine.” You bow back.

“See you miss Pyrecilla!” The small girl waves at you.

“See you too Davithea.” You wave at her.

 

Thus the three of you leave the school grounds.

There is a carriage waiting for the young ladies.

Unfortunately for you, it heads in the opposite direction.

You say your goodbyes to Harrivetta and Davithea and head back home alone.

It takes you your usual time, two hours, in which nothing happens.

 

You pass endless horizons of empty fields, only every now and then you can see a cow or a sheep herd.

You see houses in the distance, but you can't make out any details.

You feel the chilly air and hear birds chirping, but when you answer them, they don't seem to understand.

It would have been nice to have a carriage of your own, you ponder.

 

As you enter your house, you welcome your mother and Emmi, and they greet you back.

You find them in the kitchen, sitting around the table, enjoying their cups and waving at you.

You undress your shoes, put down your coat, and then you suddenly start to feel hungry.

It's about the time you would eat lunch or supper, but you probably have to be satisfied with afternoon tea for now.

 

“You are quite late my darling. Have you stayed after classes?” Your mother asks.

“I did mother. The teacher asked me if I wanted extra material.” You explain.

“That is splendid. However, do notice your mother too.” She jests a little. “Extra work or not, dinner is an important part of your day, it’s the material for your body after all.

“Hihi~ Yes mother.” You giggle a little.

 

You pull out the chair close to your mother and sit down.

As you sit down, the maid pours you tea and you sip it to warm up.

You stretch your sapped legs and relax your muscles.

 

“Young madam, the dinner will be ready soon.” Emmi tells you.

“Very well. I shall wait.” You reply to her.

 

You had a tiring day, and there is still homework you have to finish for tomorrow.

Before you decide to do anything however, your mother asks about your time at school.

 

“So tell me darling, how was your day at school?” Your mother asks.

“We had a math class. The teacher said that we should split into groups.” You explain while enjoying your tea. “One of them was Harrivetta.”

“That one you mentioned earlier?” You mother interrupts. “Isn’t she from the Francishies house? She is a good match for you.”

“Yes mother, it’s her.” You nod. ”She invited me to her house during winter break. I have been thinking if I should accept the offer.”

 

Happy to learn that you have friends in high places, she urges you to strike the iron while it's hot.

 

“Then why didn’t you accept it right away?” Your mother looks at you. “I can’t offer you must with this old hut, as you know, but my dear darling… opportunities do not grow on trees, you have to take them when they appear.”

“Yes mother, I stated I was interested.” You continue. “However, it would be proper if I were to get the approval from you first.”

“Of course, you didn’t even need to ask.” She smiles. “It is splendid that you did, but your mother should not act as arbiter to your own decisions when it comes to friends.”

“Yes mother, I understand. I will tell her the next day at school.” You confirm.

 

Her arguments are that she is a good match for you, and during the winter break there are not many opportunities for you to grow.

Thus, you take a long deep sip and explain that if you don't feel confident in your skill with music.

 

“Yes but I don’t know if I can compete with her in music.” You say.

“Why would that be? Is she also planning the same as I do?” She asks.

“I would say in her case it’s her father, but yes.” You explain. “She is going to study under that famous music artist.”

“And that’s why she invited you, yes?” Your mother puts her hand on her chin with legs crossed. ”She is a fine growing lady, I must admit.”

“But I do promise Mother, I will do my best in order to impress him.” You state.

 

You promise your mother you will do your best and see if the tutor accepts you as his student.

Your mother nods, and praises your enthusiasm.

You almost finish your tea when Emmi comes back carrying something.

She opens the case and inside you see a beautifully gleaming rosewood violin.

You and your mother become visibly surprised.

 

“This is a gift I received a long time ago. It should still be in fine condition, maybe just needs a bit of polishing.” Emmi says.

“You had this all this time Emmi?” You ask curiously.

“Yes it was a parting gift from my old master.” She explains. “It should suit you well young madam.”

“Thank you Emmi. I will treasure it.” You say while accepting the gift with your hands

 

A parting gift from an old master, she says, with a little worried face.

Emmi has probably tried to play it at some point, but due to her occupation,

it would be probably unwise to use such an expensive item for herself.

She hands you the elegant box while your mother watches with excitement.

You take the instrument and bow out of the wooden case. It is a fit for your petite hands.

 

"So? Are you going to keep me waiting until my hair turns white?” You mother says.

“No mother. I’m just not sure what I should do.” You reply.

“Here, let me show you young madam.” Emmi says and comes close.

 

Emmi guides your hand, step by step, and an eerie sound fills the room.

 

“Shreek!” A sound echoes.

“Ouch!” Everyone covers their ears.

 

It seems that you don’t have a natural talent, you sigh, as you hide your face in embarrassment.

 

“Don’t be so down darling. I feel that you have to learn the instrument first, yes?” Your mother speaks with a calm voice.

“Of course madam. But that is my fault as well.” The maid bows in apology.

“I promise I will keep on trying mother.” You bow as well.

“Yes! Keep at that darling.” Your mother smiles. “Perhaps it was just not tuned well, or that you haven’t yet eaten.”

“Right, young madam, here is your dinner.” The maid quickly goes to the kitchen and comes back with food for you.

 

Even through your complete defeat, your mother still encourages you to keep on trying.

Perhaps playing on an empty stomach was not good for you, she mentions.

Perhaps the violin has been sitting in the coffer for a long time and requires fine tuning, she says.

Thus you promise that you will practise with Emmi whenever you can and show the result of your work.

Beamortha smiles, and then the maid mentions something else while you eat your meal.

 

“So I have to tell you about something young madam.” Your maid gets your attention. “I had encountered a journalist when I was out in the market. He was looking to have a talk with you.”

“Why me?” You ask confused.

“That question you will have to ask him, young madam.” The maid bows. “He stated no reasons, just that he wanted to meet you.”

“Aren’t you glad to be this famous darling?” Your mother smirks.

“You must jest. I needed such popularity.” You shake your head.

“In any case, I said that he should be coming in the evening.” Emmi informs you both.

 

Some journalist wanted to have an interview with you, but since you were at school,

Emmi decided the time for you. I should be glad for that, you tell yourself.

 

“Do you have any idea why anyone would want to interview me, mother?” You ask.

“I suppose that’s because you have a secret admirer?” Your mother jests. “But to speak in true words, I am worried too darling.”

 

You ask your mother if she has any idea why someone would want to talk with you and she shrugs.

At the same time when you ponder about the possibilities, you hear a knock on the door and then a figure appears in the window.

 

“That’s the door. I will get it.” The maid informs as she walks to the door.

“I guess we will see soon.” Your mother says as she turns towards the entrance.

“Just in time too.” You voice as you finish eating.

 

After some time, the man enters and shows himself to you and your mother.

 

“Good afternoon ladies.” Says a person dressed in a clergy grab.

“Good afternoon.” You and mother reply.

 

Your mother remarked that she isn't happy about learning that someone wants to interview you.

However, as she sees a priest in a habit, instead of a journalist, her expression worsens.

 

“He also wasn’t dressed up like that when I met him.” The maid mentions.

“Yes I seem to forgot to mention that?” He scratches his head.

“Please come in pastor.” Your mother says.

“I will keep a watch on him.” Emmi whispers to you mother.

 

Suddenly, the maid assures her mistress that she will keep a watch on him.

That convinces Beamortha that you will be safe and calms her expression.

At the same time the priest lowers his head, walks into the kitchen and approaches you.

 

“May I ask your name for confirmation miss…” He takes out a note from his pocket.

 

He asks for your name and you reply "Pyrecilla Abronova".

He appears scary just from the height and the rather muscular build,

but he smiles at you, asking if it's okay to take a few minutes of your time.

 

“I am going just to take a few minutes of your time miss Pyrecilla.” He lowers to you. “If that is not a strain of course.”

“There is no such problem. I am just a little surprised.” You explain.

“Excuse me, is this interview obligatory for my daughter?” Your mother asks.

“Most definitely is it voluntary. I understand if you are against it…” The man says.

“No mother, I think it’s fine.” You plead. “I also think a young lady shouldn’t rebel when a gentleman asks.”

“Is that true darling? Then I please be free to see this pastor to your room.” Your mother suggests.

 

You do understand his purpose here, unfortunately, but you try to act cute and innocent.

Your mother nods and you stand up, bow to him elegantly and walk him to your room,

You open the door and offer him to sit on your desk chair, while you take rest on the bed.

 

"Yes miss Pyrecilla. Do you feel comfortable talking now?” He asks you.

“Yes I do pastor. Ask me anything.” You reply.

“I am an interview from the church working on the case of the miracle that happened in this village not long ago.” He explains. “I am sure you are aware of the man who came back to life on the day of the funeral?”

“Yes. I do recall the event.” You answer without thinking.

“Then I will not delay further and state my goal here.” He says as he takes out a piece of paper and a pen. “Your account will help us determine two things here. First, whenever the miracle occurred. Second, whenever a spirit medium was involved.”

 

As you guessed, he wanted to question you about the recent incidents involving spirits.

You figure out that he already interviewed Ellien and Minorta and you must be the last person he has to talk to.

He looks at you, sees a worried face, then turns towards the book on fire spirits and asks you if you have any interests in them.

 

“I see you have a book on fire spirits? Are you interested in them miss?” He asks you.

“A little bit, but isn’t that book primarily for children.” You make an innocent face.

“Haha~ I find it quite appropriate for young girls to have a colourful imagination miss.” He states. “But let’s get back on track…”

 

You tell him what you know, that this is simply a book from when you were a child, though you have read it recently.

You also say that you find difficult to explain what is the priest trying to ask of you,

although you clearly understand what information he is looking for inside your mind.

You try to act timid, to respond as a normal young girl would, but it's hard to please him with your sincerity.

 

“So she ran all the way from her house to the funeral?” He asks.

“That is correct mister.” You reply.

“Has she acted in any way strange, as if she was looking in a certain direction, or was focused on something?” She further inquiries.

“No, I don’t think so. Everyone was focused on what was happening in front of them.” You state.

“But as she passed the crowd she must have passed by you too, right?” He continues. “As I was informed the two of you friends, you must have noticed her yes? Do you remember that moment?”

“I do, but again, I recall nothing out of the ordinary about her.” You take a stance.

 

The conversation isn't going anywhere, but it seems the clergyman is satisfied.

All you said were words from the book after all, like a good student.

There was nothing out of the ordinary in my testimony and he can't afford to be pushy.

That's why I won, you remark inside your head.

 

“I suppose that is enough. I pardon that I might have overstated my welcome.” The pastor says.

“No I completely understand. It was necessary to…” You try to speak.

“Excuse me, would you like some tea for your reverence?” The maid interrupts.

“No, but thank you. I will be going now, pardon me ladies.” He says, packs his things and leaves.

 

Briefly after your victory, Emmi comes in and offers tea for the visitor, but the priest tells her that he is satisfied, excuses himself and leaves.

 

“Thank you Emmi, that was well timed.” You thank her.

“My pleasure young madam. Also, would you like some tea?” She speaks.

“I think I will pass on that too, but thanks.” You bow.

 

You thank Emmi and decide you would rearrange the books, however the door opens again.

 

“I’m sorry young madam, I forgot to mention the bath is ready.” She tells you.

“It is late.” You notice when you look outside. “Is it fine for you to wait?”

“Of course, as a maid I would take…” She speaks but you cut her off.

“I would say since you have been so gentle towards me, why not join me for tonight?” You insist.

“Is this… some kind of punishment young madam?” She looks at you confused.

“It is, if you think it that way.” You tell her.

“I have no other choice then. Excuse me young madam.” She says and goes to her room.

 

You ask her if she wouldn't like to join you in the bath, simply because she looked tired.

It is after all, quite normal for a maid and her to bathe together, you remark.

Furthermore, your body is so small, you wouldn't want to waste the heat on yourself only.

 

“Just don’t say anything to madam.” She whispers to your ear carrying spare clothes.

“I heard that already. ”You reply to her and together enter the bathroom.

 

Although reluctantly, she bends to your will, but only this time, as she has the pride of a servant to uphold.

 

“I haven’t bathed you since you were little, young madam.” She states.

“Have I even bathed you Emmi?” You tilt your head. “Then that’s going to be a first time for me as well.”

“As you wish young madam.” She bows.

“And please just call me by my name if we are alone.” You plead.

“Of course yo… miss Pyrecilla.” She corrects herself.

 

You both turn around and begin to undress, so to avoid looking at each other.

After you and Emmi are done, she insists that she would wash your hair, while you take care of your body.

With soap in your hand, you spread it over your silky body, while moving your head around, looking at the ground.

Afterwards you return the favour and apply the shampoo to Emmi's hair.

 

“You should use so much shampoo on me, young madam.” She tells you.

“Is there a problem?” You ask.

“Your hair is significantly longer and more precious.” She states.

“If you have said miss Pyrecilla instead I would have considered your request.” You point out.

 

Suddenly, she lifts you, carries you for a while and places your body into the bathtub.

You feel a little surprised, but then she enters with her back turned against you.

You are not allowed to look, therefore you decide it would be better to start a conversation.

 

“Say Emmi, the real reason why I invited you is that I wanted to talk to you.” You express.

“And there was no other, easier way to do so?” She asks you.

“Because my mother might have listened in on our conversation otherwise.” You explain.

“What are you worried about?” She further inquiries.

“I don’t reckon she would like to hear about the priest, don’t you think?” You declare.

 

You talk about the priest and the question he asked.

You remark how this organization, the church, always wants to be in the middle of everyone's mind.

They know what happens better than anyone else.

They establish the facts and disapprove of any criticism.

They create secrets not in order to protect those that are spirit mediums,

but rather to create the truth from a lie.

You tell Emmi that you never seen or heard a spirit, that you only repeat what Minorta said.

She lets out a small sigh, and promises to keep this a secret from the mistress.

 

“So that’s the whole story miss Pyrecilla?” She expressed her relief. ”I would say it was quite understandable that you told him the truth.”

“Of course Emmi. I knew if I kept on repeating what others would say he would eventually lose interest.” You state. “I think I learned that from my mother, but that’s another story.”

“So that’s another reason why you wouldn’t want to tell her then.” Emmi pauses and then resumes. “But do say, what do you make of the story personally? Your friends are your friends after all.”

“I would say that perhaps spirits exist for them, so to speak, but not for me.” You state.

 

As you speak those words, it appears as if the bath got a little hotter.

Strangely, you get a feeling that a fire spirit just visited you, but you shake off that thought quickly.

Instead, you decide on leaving the bath and warping yourself in a towel.

Afterwards you tell Emmi that it is safe to leave the bath and she dries your long hair a little.

 

"Let me at least do my job as a maid.” She pleads before you leave.

“Yes Emmi, thank you for drying my hair every bath and brushing it in the morning.” You bow to her and sit on the stool.

“Taking care of your hair is my job, young madam.” She says.

“I will keep that in mind.” You sigh.

“Of course.” She says smiling a little. “I’m just happy to make you happy, be it miss Pyrecilla or young madam.”

 

After a while in silence you remember that there is still homework to be done,

Thus the rest of the day you spend in your room, reading various books and writing down notes.

The night comes and it's time to go to sleep.

 You say goodnight to your mother, who is busy doing something in her room, and decide to lie on your bed.

You ponder what you should tell Ellien and Minorta about the priest tomorrow.

Also, you recall there is the issue of Harrivetta and her invitation to her mansion.

Perhaps you still have time, you deduct. With that, you fall asleep on your favourite pillow.

0