Chapter 2
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aillard is a high-ranking family with great wealth and power, second only to the crown, the owner of this body that I have possessed is an Aillard, luxury and splendor were naturally a given…

So…

What the hell is going on?!

Cracked walls, rubber meat, poor quality dresses, lack of servants, abandoned garden, dull accessories, and low-grade jewels, some were even fake, the bathroom... Let's not talk about it.

And the maids! I've only been only here for a week and I already feel offended! There were only ten maids in this annex, they looked scared at first but after just 4 days of saying and doing nothing, they started getting more comfortable, not in a good way, Kia's an exception. Out of all of them, the worst was the head maid and the three from when I woke up, of which I have affectionately nicknamed: Mammon, Leviathan, Beelzebub, and Belphegor.

Ugh! Just remembering this past three days makes my blood boil.

Good thoughts, good thoughts only.

Food... And Beelzebub devouring it.

That's not right.

Money... And Mammon stealing it.

No.

No.

No.

"Fucking bastards..." 

***

3 days ago.

I'm bored. So bored.

I wanna go shopping! Party! Socialize!

For a busybody such as myself, Raina's daily routine is too idle and uneventful.

A thought suddenly popped up and I quickly got up but this cursed body fell back. 

There was numbness on my head.

"Not this shit again."

Everything became hazy. 

An unclear face appears, the ringing in my ears overlapping with the sound of chattering and laughing... 

HDHHDJDHEHSIKAKSUEHHS DAMN NIMEN!

After a few minutes of lying down, I carefully propped my body up, grabbed the bell and rang it.

'Ting'

'Ting'

Kia knocked and opened the door. "Yes, Milady?"

"The books i normally read, do you know where they are?" 

"Ah... Why do you need them...?"

??? Why look so hesitant?

"To read."

Kia gripped her skirt, "I'll get them, please wait here."

"Hmmm. Preferably, bring all of the ones i read the most."

Kia bowed and glanced at me before leaving.

"These are the notes you wrote, my lady."

"Thank you, Kia."

Dozens of books piled the table. I picked one up, the pages were uneven and the cover were faded, worn out even. I picked up a book and sat down as my legs were numb.

'Rosenlite Herbal Dispensatory.'

The book was informative, it details the ingredients, process, techniques, usage and possible effects. It was interesting. At least me and Raina has one interest in common. 

"Ah! Here it is!"

'.... A jar is generally non-harmable but can cause mild vomiting, 2 jars cause nausea and hallucinations, and 3 jars can lead to comatose... Prolonged unconsciousness and respiratory distress, sequelae are paralyzation, numbness, risk of organ failure, 5 jars lead to death...' 

"Huh...? This isn't right... 3 jars...? Not tea spoons?"

Are you kidding me? How can someone accidentally drink 3 jars, JARS! When the novel said 'unless consumed at a lethal amount' they meant jars?! I thought it was like that those medicine that are harmless when you drink one tablet but becomes poisonous when you double the dosage.

Raina's death is likely to be a suicide.

Or she was killed. But why? It's not like there will benefits in killing her.

Oh... 

There are a lot actually. If Raina dies, there will be no one to serve in this annex and they will get transferred to the main house. 

Right now, everyone is a suspect. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh another one to discuss with Archen!

Despite being the newest, Kia seems to be the closest to Raina.

"What's wrong milady...? You've been staring at me for a while now." 

"Have you ever killed someone?"

"What...?" Kia stood still, wide-eyed.

"Hahaha, just kidding." 

Well, it's true, her eyes isn't like a killer's... I would know.

"Milady, your humor is not...."

"Ah, whatever whatever. Is mam- the head maid that busy? She can't even meet up with this lady? It's not like she's doing her job properly."

"Yes, well..." Kia's eyes wandered, "My lady did you know that currently, you're the noblest lady in the whole Rosenlite empire!?" 

Changing the subject again, huh. Well, that's useful information. If Raina is the noblest lady, it still isn't at the latter half of the book where Sienna Harlowe, and Azriel are officially engaged.

"Just wondering..." Kia tilted her head, "You told me that my brother is close with his Majesty...right?"

"Yes."

"How old is he...?"

"His Majesty, Emperor Azriel Lennox von Farren is 20 years old, My lady."

The male lead was 4 years older than the Heroine. The story starts when Sienna visited the church in the capital on her eighteenth birthday, so that means the story doesn't start till 2 years later!

"Lady." An unfamiliar voice called out from behind the door.

"Come in."

There, an old woman I'd never seen before walked towards me with books in hand. There was arrogance and dignity in her eyes. Not gonna lie but she was intimidating.

...

Huh?

The old woman just stood there, she raised her left eyebrow and glanced at Kia.

Wh-What? Is she alright? What the actual fuck is she doing?

Perhaps, remembering that I have 'amnesia', Kia whispered to me, "She's the head maid, my lady. The one who manages the monthly budget."

Ah.... Mammon.

She did it again, raising her left eyebrow and glancing at Kia except she looked annoyed, Oh... Ah... So that's what it was. "Leave us alone, Kia." I said.

The brunette maid bowed and left. The head maid stood still, looking at me weirdly... No, She looked at me rudely.

Hah! I'm getting curious now, what kind of person Raina Atara Aillard was for people to be scared and yet disrespectful of her.

"Why are you suddenly asking for this?" The woman said and slammed the book at the table. "Don't tell me you're thinking of handling the budget with that brain of yours. Just sit quietly and continue that stupid hobby of yours so you wouldn't 'accidentally' eat poison."

1 minute. I think it's only been 1 minute since we've met, but she's already pissing me off.

I glared at her.

"What? You finally have gone crazy, who do you think you're glaring at." Her ivy eyes glowed. "No, you've always been crazy, just like your mother. All you ever do is tarnish the family's reputation, just like your mother."

This greyed hair wrinkly old as– Ah no, no, no Sienna respect your elders...

...

Eh, since when have I ever been respectful to people who don't treat me the same way.

I grabbed the book from the table. 

PAK! 

I threw it on her face. She stumbles with a dazed look on her face, then her face frowned. There was fury in her eyes and she raised her hand.

Fuck, she's scary.

"Go on, hit me." Perhaps surprised by my words, Mammon paused, "Might I remind you of the difference in our status? I am Raina Atara Aillard, you are just a maid. I am at the top while you're here..."

I stood up then immediately crouched down.

"At the bottom." 

"Yo-You!"

"Me-Me?" I said sarcastically while rolling my eyes, mocking her. 

She was about to say something but stopped when something was dripping out of her nose, it was red...

It was blood... 

Blood...

BLOOD!

"Urk." I covered my mouth and looked away. Don't puke, don't puke, don't puke, calm down... "KIA!" 

I don't remember what happened much after that but I think Kia escorted her out and she said something along the lines 'The duke will be hearing about this.'

Tsk. What a baby.

I swear to God, if those little devils won't stop, I might just turn into Satan himself. Feel my wrath! Uehhehhehhehe~

***

Anyways, I don't get it.

'Kia is this account book legitimate? It says here that I bought 1 deman of Nimen plants.'

'Yes, my lady bought them.'

'Ah, I see. Is there any leftovers?'

'No. My lady used all of it. There isn't any anesthetic left too.' 

I stared at the page detailing the Nimen plant. 

'1 deman of Nimen plant can make 10 jars of anesthesia.'

If she drank it in one go, how did she stay alive for a month? 

And if she was killed why would they prolong it? 

How did i occupy her body?

Let's say, her body didn't have a soul and so, the milieu put a wandering soul in Raina's body. But why mine? Someone from another world.

I dropped the pen I was holding. All this mental gymnastics is making my head hurt.

"Huh?" 

I stared at the purple bruise on my arm. 

How did I...? I barely move that much, how did i get this...? 

"Ki-

BAAAAAM!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" I jumped in fright, "What the hell?!" 

"My... My lady." Kia opened the door. Her blue eyes were bleary with sweat dripping from her forehead as well as her irregular breathing.

"What's wrong?" 

"His Grace, Duke Archen Richter von Aillard, has returned and approved of your visit."

It's been a week and he just got home. Azriel...You need to stop sneaking out so often.

"Then, shall we prepare?"

Kia nodded.

I can do this!

I deliberately picked out and wore the shabbiest yet presentable look I could. Spruce blue colored dress with an empire silhouette, V-neckline, and Marie sleeves.

It seems Raina likes dark colors, from clothing to furniture, it's all dark which contrasts with her pallette. Pale skin, beige hair, and eyes like the sky on a sunny day, her face also had gentle features. 

If someone showed me a picture of Raina and told me she's a vile person, I probably won't believe it, I mean her face is the definition of delicate!

"You really can't judge a book by its cover..." I mumbled.

"Are you sure about this, my lady? Shouldn't you wear something... Better?"

I shook my head. "Kia... My purpose for this visit is to look as miserable as possible! I need Ar- the duke to pity me!"

"Yes..."

"Anyways, Are you done preparing it?"

"Yes! I have organized it."

"Good work. Let's go."

To be continued.

0