Chapter 35: Flying
599 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Team RWBYS gathered on the landing pad, the morning sun casting a golden hue across the sky as they waited for their ride to arrive. Ruby paced back and forth, her excitement palpable, while Yang leaned against a nearby railing, glancing at her scroll intermittently. Weiss stood with an air of composed readiness, checking her equipment meticulously. Blake, sitting on the edge of the platform, flipped through a book, lost in its pages.

 

"Okay, where is she?" Ruby stopped her pacing, turning toward Yang with her arms in the sky as she frustratedly asked where Kyra was.

 

"Why do I feel like she's doing something crazy?" Yang mused aloud, her eyes not looking up from her doom-scrolling on her scroll.

 

"Students! Is everyone here and ready to go?" Professor Oobleck called out, having appeared from seemingly nowhere, a trail of dust behind him. His words barely legible from the speed he was speaking.

 

"No, Kyra isn't here," Ruby gloomily kicked the ground, when her ears perked up as she just barely caught what sounded like violins being blasted over a ship's loudspeakers.

 

"She didn't," Yang muttered, picking up on the trumpets that joined the rest of the music as it got louder the closer an aircraft did, both turned their heads to see a small speck in the skyline rapidly growing with the music’s volume.

 

Ruby sighed as an Atlas Bullhead just touched down on the landing, knowing what was coming.

 

"So, where is your last teammate?" Oobleck inquired, also now starting to pickup on the music.

 

"She's coming," Yang assured him, Blake's ears had long since picked up the music, and she raised her head to the sky.

 

The sound of propellers beating the air into submission could be heard over the music now, Shortly followed by the sound of a speaker crackling to life, louder than even the music.

 

"Attention, Atlas pilot!” Kyra’s voice echoed,  “I need you to get that rust bucket off the landing pad!" She practically shouted as she approached said landing pad.

 

Kyra was in a flying craft, its silhouette was unlike anything remnant had seen before—A blend of antiquity and futurism atom punk as it is often called. The Vertibird was rather tall, angular, and bulky, like a behemoth born of metal. Two massive rotors adorned its sides, spinning violently, as the bird seemingly defying the laws of physics lifting this marvel into the sky.

 

"What is that?" Weiss asked in awe, ignoring the small tinge of concern that bubbled in her heart.

 

"She finished it," Ruby muttered, a little shocked, the music cutting out as the Atlas Bullhead quickly pulled away from the landing pad so it wouldn’t be crushed.

 

"That looks cool," Blake remarked with a fake deadpan disinterest.

 

As the aircraft lowered onto the landing pad, It touched down with a resounding clank, the vehicle being obviously significantly heavier than all the current flying crafts of remnant, even those in Atlas’ employ.  Kyra Waved from the cockpit, pushing buttons and flipping switches before standing up and walking into the metal bird.

 

It’s thunderous propellers slowing down as Kyra threw open the side door, revealing the interior of the craft, mounted guns folded up and into the walls ready to be taken out and used. Kyra jumped down from the craft and walked up to the rest of her team and the huntsmen they would shadow.

 

"So, um, are we taking that with us?" Oobleck questioned, his words significantly slower as he pointed to the aircraft. "Don't worry, just watch," Kyra said, turning back to the craft, and pressing a few buttons on her Pip-Boy, the Vertibird quickly appeared to disappear, becoming invisible before Kyra reversed the process with more buttons.

 

"I figured out how stealth boys work and added it to the Vertibird," Kyra explained, walking up to and lightly banning on the hull with a proud smile.

 

 

 

 

"That's so cool," Yang exclaimed after a couple moments of silence, her arms raised to the sky as if she were trying to punch the sun while she ran towards the aircraft.

 

“How?! That thing is literally impossible!” Ruby suddenly shouts, her arms waving at the entire thing in front of her.

 

"Yep, it's active stealth. We can land it on a building, turn it invisible, and it stays there until we need to leave," Kyra says, ignoring Ruby’s out burst.

 

"Alright, let's go then. We're already behind schedule!" Professor Oobleck says as he rather excitedly boarded the Vertibird.

 

"I call a gun," Yang declared, already pulling one out of its storage.

 

"I'll take the other one," Ruby added, jumping onto the other mounted gun.

 

"Alright," Kyra said, hopping into the pilot seat, putting on her headphones and flipping a few switches in the cockpit as the engines started spinning to life again. "Off to the ruins in the southeast," Kyra announced as the Vertibird slowly hovered to take off.

 

Everyone watched in shock as Kyra pulled a lever once they were rather high and the motor’s tilted. 

 

===================

 

Flying the Vertibird in normal plane mode. Kyra hums fortunate son to herself, as they clear the walls protecting Vale.

 

"So, does the stealth function work in the air?" Oobleck asked suddenly, standing next to her in the cockpit.

 

"Yes, it's invisible to cameras and sight, but if they use echolocation or radar, they might detect it," Kyra explained, her eyes not leaving the front of the play.

 

"What about using this technology to make cities invisible to Grimm? Is it possible?" Oobleck asked the pressing question on his mind.

 

"Well, Grimm can detect emotions, and it couldn't hide that. I'm exploring possibilities, but none have worked yet," Kyra replied. "How about stealth suits?" Oobleck asked, suddenly very serious.

 

"There are personal stealth boys and the Hei Gui stealth suit. Direct contact with the light redirection can harm a human, but applying it to a vehicle and having people inside keeps them safe," Kyra elaborates, not wanting to talk about the psychological side effects of the stealth boys, and the people who suffered from them.

 

"Interesting, Truly fascinating. This device could revolutionize the war against the grim," Oobleck remarked, back to his cheery self.

 

"Yes, wars have been fought over less. Stark Industries' technology could make Atlas hunt me down if they found out. After all, I am the source," Kyra said, aware that she's not the true inventor, yet her hybrid devices with dust are even more advanced and approaching WMD’s level of power.

 

"What powers this?" Oobleck inquired, his eyes roaming over the interior.

 

"The same technology that powers the Kingdom of Vale," Kyra revealed, slightly changing the path of the ship to not hit the corvid flying toward them

 

“This ship is rather scary, almost like a flying tank of old.” Weiss mutters, although with her headset, everyone hears her words. 

 

"This is not a ship! I call it a VTOL airplane," Kyra corrects, her staticky voice knocking Weiss out of her thoughts.

 

"VTOL?"

 

"Vertical Take Off and Landing, Weiss. I have plane designs that are faster, but they require a runway for takeoff," Kyra explained, her mind going over the numerous blueprints.

 

"Nevermore, port side," Yang suddenly reported.

 

"Yang! Take it down," Ruby instructed as she kept watch over her side of the ship

 

Suddenly, the sound of minigun fire echoed along with Yang's laughter, the BRRRRR of the gun shaking the VTOL slightly.

 

Kyra glanced out the window to her left to see a Nevermore riddled with bullets.

 

"Yang, it's dead, stop wasting ammo," Kyra chided Yang over the headsets.

 

"Can I say thank you for these custom-made headphones?" Blake asks as the head muffs nearly perfectly fit her ears.

 

"Yeah, and you can keep them," Kyra chuckled when she heard Blake’s happy cat sounds.

 

"Hey, Kyra?" Ruby called, getting her girlfriends' attention.

 

"Yes, Ruby?" Kyra responded.

 

"Do you wanna play ‘The Silver Shroud’ through the radio so we can listen to the exciting for the next 30 minutes while we get to the edge of the Vale’s territory?" Ruby asked, her voice practically pleading.

 

"Sure thing," Kyra agreed, pulling a tape from her Pip-Boy, she slots it into the dashboard.

 

"When evil walks the streets of Boston, one man lurks in the shadows. Shielding the innocent, judging the guilty. That guardian is the Silver Shroud. Today's episode: 'A Slaying in Scully Square,'" A voice from the headset announced, drawing everybody in.

26