9th Story – Coachman
34 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Honestly, I never thought I’d still be alive.

I sighed as I laid on my back, the chilly but gentle autumn breeze tousling my too-long hair. The blades of grass around me rustled quietly as if asleep, and for one tranquil moment, the world seemed to stay still. It was surreal to think that I was still here, but even more incredible was the fact that I’d gone unharmed during the entirety of our journey.

I suppose I wasn’t really much of a priority for our enemies though, seeing as I was nothing more than a driver. Even if I perished, the knights could probably take over easily. In fact, that was exactly what the foreign knight, Sir Riku, had done during our daring escape from Helfried’s returning garrison of cavalry.

A single arrow from any one of their archers would’ve immediately spelled my doom, but all their shots had miraculously missed me or had been intercepted by Lady Castellia’s own. Honestly, when I first saw her as we prepared to depart from the academy, I’d been skeptical of her abilities. I mean, she was dressed in simple clothes that made it easy for her to move around, had broader shoulders than the usual dainty nobles I’d come across, and had a bow slung across her back, but in the end she was still a noblewoman.

Never did I expect her to shoot with such skill and speed that even knights would struggle to compete. Well, not that I would know, of course. I was nothing more than a simple man-at-arms trying to do my best for my family back home. Despite the action-packed journey I’d experienced, my greatest regret remains the same as it was before we departed. My only wish was to be dispatched as Lady Rosaline and Dame Leticia’s coachman, not because I favored them over Lady Castellia and Dame Medrauta, but solely because of their destination.

Although we were by no means impoverished, I was still a commoner, and the same went for my family. We were a family of three. Me, my wife, and my daughter. We all led peaceful and fulfilling lives, and just next year, my daughter would be entering the duchy’s premier scholar academy. She’d even earned a scholarship! Unfortunately, history decided to throw us onto a different path. The first thing I wanted to do after hearing of the civil war’s breakout in Avimorne duchy was to immediately rush home and confirm my family’s safety, but I couldn’t do that. Not when I had a responsibility to serve in Avalyne Academy’s regular garrison.

Still, I couldn’t believe my ears when I was first briefed of the empire’s precarious situation. Three of four duchies were refusing to send reinforcements to the north for some reason, directly disregarding the emperor’s command. Not only that, but civil war had broken out in Avimorne duchy. That alone was the most unbelievable part of it all. I was born in Rosenhall duchy, but chose to move south with my family after hearing about all the opportunities that Lady Scarlet had created for commoners in her duchy.

I’d thought they were exaggerated at first, but when I arrived, the difference between the Rosenhall dukedom and the Avimorne duchy was like night and day. As a commoner, the only thing I knew about Lady Scarlet was that high society regarded her as the “quintessential noblewoman” but never did I think that the education program and job prospects for commoners in her territory would be so refined compared to other places.

It was a dream come true, and I’d thought we’d finally found a place where we could flourish. For a while, that was what we did. Harvests were bountiful every year, the cost of living was low, and the duchy’s army provided strong and steadfast protection against the beasts of the Mana Wastes that sometimes wandered close to the empire’s southern borders. In fact, the duchy was so peaceful and well-maintained that a civil war never should have occurred.

That’s why I’d gone to Dame Eirlys first thing in the morning that day, requesting to be assigned to the carriage heading southward. No matter what, I just had to confirm the situation for myself, and more importantly, I had to ascertain my family’s safety. Perhaps the knight already knew this, but she’d assigned me to a different carriage instead, possibly out of concern for my personal feelings potentially jeopardizing the mission.

I understood her reasons. As a commander, she needed to make difficult decisions, even if those decisions might end up hurting others. Of course, I resented her from keeping me from my family and confirming their safety, but I couldn’t exactly refute her when I knew I would attempt to find them as soon as possible, perhaps even disregarding my primary duty of transporting the knights to their intended destination.

They should be fine, right...? I sighed once more, staring up at the clear blue sky. We’d somehow managed to emerge victorious in the siege of Revelo castle. As someone who was more of a soldier than a coachman, I was relegated to the role of footman on the battlefield, and though I had a few close shaves here and there, I managed to pull through thanks to the efforts of the knights and my fellow cohorts.

I had no idea what Dame Leticia and Lady Rosaline’s combat abilities were, but if Dame Eirlys trusted them, then I was fairly certain they were on the same level as Dame Medrauta and Lady Castellia. During the battle, I’d been one of the many faceless soldiers who surged forward as Dame Medrauta cut through the enemy formation, mounted gloriously on her massive warhorse and clad in glowing silver armor. It was like a scene out of those fairy tales I used to read to my daughter, and if I managed to see the end of this whole debacle here in the empire, I knew exactly how to tell her the stories of my journey.

Plus, they’ve got Lady Scarlet with them. If she could manage to run a duchy like that, she’ll probably be able to win the war and protect her citizens while she’s at it, right? The only thing I could do was comfort myself with such thoughts. After all, I was still stuck here at Revelo castle, waiting for Dame Medrauta and Lady Castellia to call upon me once more when they set out toward their next destination... which was probably the mysterious spire that had risen in the distance. Truth be told, I wasn’t too stoked about that.

“...But it’s not like I can just leave,” I sighed for the third time that day.

The sound of grass being crushed underneath boots of steel rippled from behind me. “Why not?”

I pushed myself up reflexively, surprised by the arrival of a sudden visitor. Whirling around, I saw one of the knights who had fought during the siege. Her dark lavender hair billowed in the autumn breeze, a playful smile dancing on her lips as she regarded me with a curious gaze.

“Why can’t you leave?” Dame Trianna asked again. “You aren’t part of the baron’s army or the garrison.”

“Well... I’ve got to drive Lady Castellia’s coach,” I said awkwardly.

“Anyone can do that, you know? Besides, it looks like you’ve got something important to do, and... Haven’t you been driving their coach for long enough? I mean, we met just outside Vargos, didn’t we? I’m surprised you’re still alive.”

My eyes widened as I recalled the girl’s face as one of the three knights who’d attacked the carriage at the start of our journey. Had it not been for Dame Medrauta’s mercy, she wouldn’t be standing here right now.

“That makes two of us, I guess.” I laughed. “I didn’t think we’d ever meet again after that, honestly.”

Dame Trianna shook her head. “Neither did I, you know? I thought Dame Krista was going to take me out back and shoot me with that massive bow of hers... But she actually followed through on her deal with Lady Viviane. I suppose I should thank her for giving me the chance to repent, but I haven’t found the opportunity yet. The first chance she got, she hopped on a horse and raced off to the south.”

“The south?” I frowned. “Why the south?”

“Krista Almisa. House Almisa is a noble house of Avimorne duchy, you know? The only reason she came here instead of rushing home was because of her lord.”

“I see... I also would’ve liked an opportunity to head south...” I murmured.

“Then why don’t I give it to you?”

“Uh... I don’t think Dame Medrauta or Lady Castellia would like that.”

Dame Trianna shrugged. “The two of them have already headed out. They’re trying to get to the border walls before they’re overrun. Some sort of witchspawn beasts or something, but I’m not too familiar with the whole situation myself. No time to take a carriage, I’m afraid.”

“...I see. So they left without telling me, huh?” I shook my head, a melancholic smile on my face. I’d shared more than a few conversations with them during our journey, but it seems I wasn’t important enough for them to say farewell. No. I shouldn’t think like that. If the border walls are getting attacked by witchspawn of all things, I doubt they had the time or luxury to properly bid anyone goodbye.

“They left without telling me too, y’know? Anyway, if you’re free, I’d like to hire you to drive the carriage for me! I still have to thank Dame Krista, so we’ll be heading south just like you want. Oh! I hope you don’t mind if we make a stop in Dietrich fief, though! There’s a friend I’d like to pick up.”

“What if Dame Medrauta and Lady Castellia come back?” I asked. Although I wanted nothing more than to take her offer, I certainly didn’t want to be the subject of Dame Medrauta’s ire.

“You can just tell ‘em it was me who dragged you off! Besides, I don’t think they’re heading back here...” Dame Trianna said, her voice trailing off as her gaze drifted toward the sinister spire. “They’re probably going to carve a path straight to that spire and lop off Amelia’s head once they reach the top. I think... that’s something only they can do.”

Something only they can do, huh...? Yeah, I get it now. I nodded to Dame Trianna, resolve filling my heart. Those words had been so simple, but they allowed me to make the decision I’d been too afraid to pursue all along. In truth, I knew I could simply ask Dame Medrauta or Lady Castellia to relieve me of my duties so I could head to the Avimorne duchy. With the way Lady Castellia was, there was no doubt she’d release me instantly after hearing my story, and it wasn’t like it’d be difficult to replace me anyway.

The truth was... I was simply afraid of finding out. I was afraid that I’d return home only to find the corpses of my beloved family. All this time, it’d been fear holding me back, not duty or responsibility. But not anymore. I couldn’t lie to myself any more than I already had... Because this was something only I could do.

I’d neglected my duties as a father for too long, but no more. I turned to Dame Trianna, steel in my limbs and fire in my eyes.

“Alright, Dame Trianna. Let’s go.”

Dame Trianna responded with a smile and a nod. “Oh! And one more thing!”

“What is it?” I asked.

“What’s your name?”

“Oh, it’s...”

2