XXI – Bon appétit
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The centerpiece of the chamber is a regal bed, each inch of its frame painstakingly sculpted from an ethereal, pale wood that seems to capture and refract the room’s ambient light. As one’s gaze climbs, the headboard tells tales of its own, a masterful fresco of vines in embrace with blooming roses, tiny fierce dragons, and gossamer-winged sprites that seem to dance amidst the foliage. The lavender veils hanging from above are as thin as whispers, dancing to the silent tunes of the unseen winds, casting an enchanting mist over the bed. Beneath this ephemeral shelter, the bedding sings of luxury with velvets and silks in the tender hues of dawn, adorned with meticulous embroidery of gold and silver, chronicling sagas of magic and lore.

Guarding the bed like silent sentinels, twin nightstands offer a feast for curious eyes. There lie vials with contents that glow as if holding trapped stars, a music box that, when opened, spills out notes reminiscent of an ancient lullaby, and a clock, its hands moving not in ticks but in a fluid ballet. Hovering above one of these stands, a sconce with arms resembling entwined silver boughs lovingly holds a crystal. This singular stone, when caressed by the room’s dimness, radiates a gentle luminescence, weaving an intimate blanket of light, perfect for a child’s peaceful dreams.

An imposing armoire stands tall against the far wall, its presence undeniable. Its detailed façade brings alive midnight frolics of forest nymphs and mystical beings, dancing and rejoicing beneath a moon’s tender glow. Behind these artistically rendered doors lie treasures of textiles; exquisite gowns and robes, each telling tales of artistry and elegance, alongside attire for the day-to-day, all awaiting the tender touch of the room’s visitor.

The expansive windows of the chamber, veiled by drapes of the profound blue of midnight skies, wear patterns of celestial bodies – stars, crescent moons, and elusive floating isles – each painstakingly embroidered by skilled hands. The windows themselves hold a charm, for they don’t just present the world outside; they enchantingly morph, offering visions of sprawling, verdant gardens at times and on other occasions, majestic mountains that seem to levitate or skies painted with a million stars.

Guarding the entrance, the door stands as an epitome of protection and elegance. Crafted from the ethereal pale wood echoing the bed’s design, it’s adorned with carved symbols and sigils. These aren’t mere embellishments but protective wards, ensuring the sanctuary and serenity of its inhabitant. A crystal doorknob, cold and pristine, awaits touch, promising entry only to those with pure hearts.

Elara, poised gracefully by the bed, was a picture of elegance in her cream-hued blouse. Its embroidery whispered tales of delicate craftsmanship, and soft ruffles added an ethereal charm. Her hands reached out, a gesture of comfort, towards the child, who seemed like a bundle of fear and curiosity beneath the silken sheets. Those eyes, wide and reminiscent of vast landscapes, darted between Elara and the recent entrants - Aurelius and Herius. Red tendrils of hair, reminiscent of autumn’s fiery touch, fearfully peeked from his hiding spot under the covers.

The delicate twilight hues from the setting sun flowed through the room’s expansive windows, casting ethereal glimmers across the furnishings. The room’s scent was comforting, a blend of fresh linens and a hint of lavender. In the backdrop, the distant sounds of the castle’s life were barely discernible, creating an intimate atmosphere.

Elara, her silhouette framed by the dim room, stood hesitantly by the bed, taking in the sight of the boy who had just been roused from a deep sleep. “My name’s Elara,” she began softly, her voice an attempt to weave a comforting cocoon around the child. Her past experiences reflected in her eyes, knowing well the fear and uncertainty that the boy felt. “Take it easy; I don’t want you to get hurt. Can you tell me your name?”

The boy, his emotions raw and visible, darted his eyes towards Aurelius and Herius, who had just entered. Turning his attention back to Elara, he pressed his lips together, perhaps trying to hold back a cry, and scooted away, seeking solace in the farthest corner of the bed.

The sound of footsteps echoed through the hallowed halls, catching up to the stillness of the room. Katarina’s voice, a mixture of curiosity and irritation, trailed behind her swift pace. “Next time, maybe tell me which room—” She halted mid-sentence, taking in the sight of the scared boy. She exchanged a quick, concerned look with Elara, before her gaze settled on Aurelius and Herius. “Did you two do something?”

Before Elara could voice her defense, Aurelius quickly responded, the defensiveness in his voice clear, “We did nothing!” The unintended harshness of his tone only seemed to drive the boy deeper into his cocoon of fear.

The muted glow of the lanterns created a soft aura around the room. Its gentle luminescence painted a golden hue on Elara’s face as she gazed affectionately at the three men, the ever-present mischievous glint in her eyes evident. “Try to look past these three clowns,” she said with a playful roll of her eyes, chuckling softly as she settled herself on the edge of the bed. Her laughter felt like the delicate tinkling of wind chimes, calming and inviting. “They can be a bit… eccentric.”

Herius opened his mouth, ready with a retort, but was promptly silenced by Aurelius’ hand over his lips. The brief exchange between them felt like an old inside joke, a dance they had performed countless times.

Gently, Elara turned her attention back to the child, her voice imbued with the warmth of a setting sun. “I’m Elara. Ever heard of a place called Duskmire?” She asked, hoping to forge a connection through shared knowledge.

The boy peeked over the bedsheets, his big eyes shimmering with curiosity, and gave a tiny nod. His actions spoke of a past memory, perhaps a tale heard at bedtime.

Elara, noticing his slight ease, said, “Look what I found when you were drifting in dreams.” She pulled out a teddy bear from the bedside drawer, its fur resembling the warm hues of autumn leaves. It looked like a treasured relic from countless bedtime tales and adventures, with its button eyes that held stories of whispered secrets. The teddy’s ever-present smile seemed like a silent promise of comfort, as timeless as the night sky. Its little ribbon, perhaps a memento from a cherished day, fluttered gently. The slightly droopy ears hinted at nights spent listening to the dreams and fears of its young owner.

In the dimly lit room, illuminated only by the soft glow of a nearby lantern, Elara’s voice, carrying a wistful tone, broke the thick silence. “I once had a teddy bear, much like this one. I called him Najid.” Memories seemed to flit across her eyes, reminiscent of days bathed in innocence and warmth.

Outside the pool of lantern light, Aurelius, Katarina, and Herius stood almost like shadowy spectators, watching the delicate scene unfold. Their presence was unobtrusive, respectful - almost like silent guardians protecting a sacred space.

Elara’s movements were tender as she placed the teddy bear delicately on the bed. The boy’s apprehensive eyes, wide and searching, tracked her every motion, brimming with a mix of hope and hesitancy. They looked like those of a deer caught in a moment of uncertainty, ready to bolt but captivated by a gentle gesture.

“Here,” Elara murmured, her voice as soft as the down of a feather. “He’s yours now. Find a special name for him, okay?” She offered the child a comforting smile, her eyes reflecting genuine kindness, hoping to bridge the gap of trust between them. The boy hesitated just a moment before letting the protective sheet lower, revealing eyes shimmering with the first hints of trust.

Amidst the subdued candlelight, Elara’s voice cut through the thick atmosphere, a melodic whisper against the hush of the room. “Is your back alright?” Concern and warmth laced every word, her gaze unwaveringly locked onto his, creating an invisible tether of understanding between them.

For a fleeting moment, his lips parted, as if wanting to trust his voice to the air, but then hesitated, sealing any words within. Instead, he offered a timid shake of his head, allowing the simple gesture to speak volumes.

“It’s a good thing then,” Elara said, a hint of relief evident in her tone. She motioned gracefully towards the doorway. “You have Miss Katarina to thank for that.” Her fingers danced in the direction of the woman who stood tall, emanating a presence that was both regal and comforting. “She tended to those wounds on your back,” she added, her smile a soft beacon of gratitude.

The boy’s eyes followed Elara’s lead, resting on Katarina. She stood there, a picture of elegance and strength, her attire telling tales of her adventurous spirit. The moss-green bodice she wore clung to her form, its golden embroidery glinting occasionally, reminiscent of secret messages written in the shadows. Her billowy blouse contrasted with the bodice, its purity speaking of tales yet untold, while her dark, fitted pants whispered of midnight escapades. Her boots, though, were a saga in themselves - tales of silent hunts in the woods, of chasing and being chased, yet always emerging victorious.

As Katarina began her approach, the boy, seemingly transfixed by her presence, lowered his protective bedsheet. There was a reverence in his eyes, a silent nod of respect, as if he sensed the stories that clung to her very essence.

The room was awash in the muted glow of flickering candlelight, its gentle glow revealing Katarina, crouched low beside the bed to meet the gaze of the wary boy. Shadows danced gently across her face as she inquired softly, “What’s your name?” She offered a tentative smile, her lips twitching upwards in a hesitant curve, as if trying to bridge the vast chasm of trust between them. “I’m Katarina,” she added, her voice melodic and warm, eyes inviting him to share in her confidence.

Time seemed to stretch, the silence so thick that one could almost hear the flutter of a moth’s wing. Then, breaking the weight of the silence was the faintest whisper, like the rustling of dry leaves in autumn, “I don’t know.”

The proclamation hung heavy in the room, and a palpable tension settled in. Herius’ and Elara’s eyes locked, both pools of disbelief, while Katarina’s gaze flicked toward Aurelius, finding his face a mask of strained composure. Elara, her heart heavy with emotion, met the child’s eyes, seeking understanding. “What do you mean?” she pressed gently.

The boy seemed to shrink further into the bed, eyes darting around the room as he admitted, “I was never given one.”

Katarina, searching for the right words, began, “What about your-” but paused, holding her breath, not wanting to tread on painful memories. She quickly corrected herself, voice tinged with a mix of astonishment and sympathy, “What about your guardians?”

His fingers white-knuckled around the sheet, the boy’s voice was a mere echo, carrying the weight of a history untold, “I was never given a name.”

The soft golden glow from the candles lit the room, casting delicate flickers on the stone walls. Aurelius, with a stature as commanding as the legends told, appeared at the bed’s edge, the suddenness of his presence causing the child to instinctively move towards the center. Close behind, Herius, ever the loyal aide, positioned himself adjacent to Aurelius. Through the dim light, the child’s eyes caught the unnerving crimson of Aurelius’, an unusual shade that even a child knew was out of the ordinary. They exchanged a silent, drawn-out moment, the atmosphere thickening with suspense.

Softly, in an attempt to break the palpable tension, Aurelius inquired, his voice gentle yet carrying an underlying gravitas, “Would you like something to eat?” He consciously tried to keep the warmth in his voice, knowing they were treading on fragile ground.

Chiming in, Herius added, with a slight upward curl of his lips, “You really should. You’ve been asleep for almost two days now.” His gaze was kind, and as he looked at the boy, he offered a reassuring nod, signaling his genuine concern.

From a distance, Katarina and Elara observed the interaction. The scene felt surreal to them, watching these two mighty figures tending to a vulnerable child. They exchanged glances, communicating through subtle gestures and hushed murmurs, deliberating on the next course of action for the young one.

In the dimly lit chamber, the child nestled closer to a worn teddy bear beside him, its plush fur offering a small degree of comfort. With fingertips brushing the edges of the crisp sheets, he threw a defiant glare at Aurelius, the subtle quiver of his gaze betraying a mix of fear and determination under the dance of candlelight. Katarina and Elara, from their vantage point, keenly observed the delicate dynamic unfolding between them.

Though he tried, the child’s words were trapped in his throat, stifled by a thick cloud of anxiety. A timid growl, however, broke the hush - the rumble of hunger from deep within his belly. Aurelius exchanged a knowing look with Herius; a wordless conversation in the space of a heartbeat. To the women’s astonishment, Herius vanished into a shadowy mist, dissipating through the doorway with ethereal grace.

“I’m not tasty,” the child’s voice trembled, breaking the lingering silence.

Aurelius, caught off guard, arched a brow, “Pardon?”

Simultaneously, both Elara and Katarina echoed, “What?”

With wide, innocent eyes, the boy murmured, the weight of his next words heavy with apprehension, “I know you’re… a vampire. You eat people like me.”

A genuine chuckle escaped Aurelius, echoing softly in the vast chamber as if the very stones were amused. “Child, I promise you, I have no intention of feasting on the young,” he reassured, a smirk playing on his lips, “Moreover, I’m quite satiated at the moment.”

Elara, sensing the child’s lingering fear, spoke with a gentle cadence, “Don’t let his demeanor unsettle you. While he may appear daunting, he’s simply… unconventional.”

Katarina, with a playful grin, chimed in, “That’s one way to put it.”

The muted amber glow of candles cast flickering shadows over the opulent chamber, bringing out the rich hues of gold and burgundy tapestries. Aurelius, emanating an air of ancient power, leaned slightly toward Katarina and Elara, his sharp, almost daunting features softening, “Jest at the master’s expense, then?” His voice, though deep and tinged with centuries of wisdom, held a gentle teasing lilt.

Elara, sensing the child’s lingering trepidation, leaned down and playfully whispered, “That’s Aurelius. For all his brooding looks, he’s practically a relic.” She giggled, a twinkle in her eye, “His face might deceive you, but trust me, he’s older than the oldest tales.”

Catching onto the game, Katarina leaned in, her voice hushed and conspiratorial, “Think of the eldest folks in town, then imagine someone who knew them as toddlers.”

A subtle, almost imperceptible smile graced the child’s lips, his wide-eyed fear ever so slightly diminishing. As he relaxed, the tight grip he had on the bed sheet eased. Sharing a triumphant glance, both Elara and Katarina couldn’t suppress their sly grins, feeling a touch of victory.

Aurelius feigned exasperation, rolling his eyes in a theatrical manner, “Oh, hilarious, both of you.” Pausing for dramatic effect, his gaze, filled with genuine concern, settled on the child. “I need to ask you something crucial.”

Although apprehensive, the boy’s defenses seemed momentarily lowered. With a hesitant nod and a lingering wary look, he gave Aurelius his attention.

“Tell me,” Aurelius’s voice was tender, filled with a mix of urgency and compassion, “Who did this to you?”

The hushed room was alive with the soft flicker of candles, the wavering flames throwing ethereal shadows onto the ancient stone walls. The air was dense with an expectant silence, punctuated only by the soft rustling of fabrics and the distant echo of night creatures outside.

A palpable tension stretched between the boy and Aurelius, their gazes locked in an unspoken communion. From her vantage point, Elara noted how the boy’s eyes shimmered with a determination so fierce it could kindle a firestorm. A blend of desperate vengeance and a primal instinct to endure emanated from him. It was as if, in that split second, his very soul was laid bare for Aurelius to see.

Katarina, too, leaned forward ever so slightly, her senses attuned to the silent dialogue unfurling before her. The boy’s eyes seemed to shield a secret, fiercely guarded and protected like a treasure. A secret Aurelius seemed to intuitively grasp without a single word exchanged.

Drawing a slow breath, Aurelius reclined, the intimidating aura he projected earlier now replaced with a more protective and understanding demeanor. To the two onlookers, it felt as though the boy’s gaze held a protective shield over the hidden truth, and Aurelius respected that boundary.

Aurelius finally broke the silence, his voice deep yet soothing, “I understand.” A gentle, comforting smile graced his lips, even as a cold undercurrent rippled beneath his words. “You should rest now.” The unspoken promise hung in the air – everything would be alright.

Soft candlelight filled the spacious chamber, casting gentle illuminations upon the ornate tapestries that adorned the walls. The scent of burning incense wafted through the room, lending an almost ethereal feel. Every so often, a soft draft would dance in, making the flames flicker and shadows play mysterious games on the walls. The room’s ambiance held an enigmatic quality, evoking feelings of both familiarity and an underlying sense of the unknown.

The boy, lying on the plush bed adorned with velvet and satin, hesitated for a moment. The weight of his surroundings seemed to press on him, making him more aware of the vastness and grandeur of the place he found himself in. Gathering his thoughts, he finally ventured, “You’ve shared so much, but… where exactly am I?” His voice quivered slightly, a mix of trepidation and curiosity, like a lost traveler seeking direction.

Aurelius, who until then had been a silent sentinel, turned his gaze to the boy. The depth in his eyes seemed to hold countless secrets. “You are within my sanctuary,” he said with gentle authority, pausing for emphasis, “The Palace vi Eterna.” The very name echoed with a resonance of age-old tales and legends.

Katarina, sensing a moment to engage, gracefully rose from her corner. The subtle rustling of her gown created a comforting background melody. Drawing closer, she delicately dragged a beautifully carved wooden stool by the bedside and perched upon it, the question in her eyes evident. “Do you recall where your journey began? Your home?”

The boy’s chest swelled with pride, his momentary vulnerability replaced by an unmistakable fire of loyalty. “I am from the resplendent city of Montsombre!” His voice held a note of defiance and honor.

A subtle smile tugged at Katarina’s lips. “That’s commendable.” She remarked, sharing a weighted look with Elara, who, in turn, exchanged an understanding nod with Aurelius. The atmosphere in the room seemed to thicken with unspoken words and tales yet to unfold.

In the vast chamber, a delicate fragrance of blooming lilacs intermingled with the faint scent of old parchment, creating a heady atmosphere of nostalgia and mystery. Gilded mirrors adorning the walls reflected the soft, flickering candlelight, making the shadows play an intricate dance across the room.

Elara leaned forward, the weight of her inquiry evident in her posture. Her eyes, usually so vibrant, held a touch of trepidation. “Have you ever heard of an organization called ‘Chappelle’?” she whispered to the boy, her voice like the gentle rustling of autumn leaves.

For what felt like an eternity, silence draped the room. The boy’s gaze grew distant, the wheels of his mind visibly turning as he delved into the recesses of his memories. A soft breeze from an open window made the curtains billow, bringing with it the distant song of crickets, heightening the suspense.

Drawing a deep breath, the boy’s eyes refocused. “I’m sorry,” he responded, genuine regret touching his features, “The name doesn’t ring a bell.”

A trio of glances darted between Elara, Aurelius, and Katarina. A collective, almost imperceptible sigh escaped their lips, laden with both relief and frustration.

The boy’s voice, tinged with curiosity, broke the spell. “Is it vital? The organization, I mean?”

Elara, her demeanor softening, responded gently, “It’s not something you should concern yourself with.”

Building on Elara’s sentiment, Katarina added reassuringly, “They’re shadows from another time.” Meanwhile, Aurelius simply inclined his head in agreement, the gravity in his nod adding to the enigmatic aura surrounding the discussion.

The room, bathed in the soft golden glow of the evening sun filtering through heavy curtains, was enveloped by the comforting scent of fresh bread, its yeasty warmth mingling with the savory aroma of just-cooked meat. The heady fragrances wafted in the air, painting a picture of home and hearth. Every nook and cranny seemed to whisper tales of bygone feasts and shared memories.

As the scents danced tantalizingly, the four turned their gaze toward the entrance. There, with an air of understated grandeur, stood Herius. On his hands, a laden platter gleamed with an assortment of mouth-watering delicacies, while a bowl of steaming soup promised solace and warmth. His eyes sparkled with a blend of care and mischief, and his smile was the kind one wears when presenting a beloved with a cherished gift.

“Feast to your heart’s content,” Herius said, his voice soft and inviting, like a blanket being wrapped around someone chilled.

Aurelius, the eternally stoic guardian of the group, allowed a tender smile to touch his lips, his voice imbued with genuine warmth. “Bon appétit.”

Katarina’s voice, playful and full of mirth, cut through the room’s ambiance. “And hey, if you fancy anything else, just give us a shout!” She winked, her silhouette gracefully retreating into the adjoining hallway.

Elara, ever the compassionate one, gave the boy an affirming nod, her eyes conveying a silent promise of safety and care. Herius, meanwhile, couldn’t resist a cheerful wave as he made his exit. And as always, Aurelius, the rock of the group, concluded the moment with a profound nod, laden with respect and understanding.

“Bon appétit?”

0