CH: 23 [The Devil Bat is dead]
2.3k 8 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Thomas Wayne's 3rd Person POV]

The clock read 2:00 AM as Thomas Wayne stood in the hidden cave beneath Wayne Manor. The cave was a well-guarded secret, accessible only to a few trusted individuals. Earlier that day, someone left a message for him in his office. No one saw the person who delivered the message.

Alfred, the loyal butler of the Wayne family, stood by his side. The cave was dimly lit, the shadows playing tricks on their surroundings. It was a place that had seen its fair share of secrets.

The message had been cryptic, mentioning an impending threat to Gotham. Thomas had no choice but to investigate, even though the hour was late.

"Sir, can we trust this message?" Alfred asked with his usual calm voice as he watched Thomas trying to scan the voice to find out the real identity of the messenger.

"I have my doubts, Alfred," he admitted, his brows furrowed in concern. "But we can't afford to ignore this. If there's even a shred of truth in this message, Gotham could be in grave danger. Besides, as you already know, we are standing on thin ice... The gangs are getting restless these days. I am certain something's going on in the shadows."

The scan result came up on the screen. It's a robot's voice, generated artificially. The one who sent him this message was no amateur. Thomas pondered the implications of the artificial voice. It was clear that someone had gone to great lengths to obscure their identity. He knew that such a message couldn't be taken lightly.

He replayed the message once again.

The voice in the message continued, its tone urgent and anxious.

"...Black Mask's gang is planning something big, something that could plunge Gotham into chaos," the artificial voice revealed, "They've obtained a powerful weapon, a prototype technology that can disrupt the city's power grid. If they unleash it, the consequences would be catastrophic."

Thomas and Alfred exchanged concerned glances. A technology capable of disrupting Gotham's power grid was a grave threat that could lead to widespread panic and lawlessness. They needed more information and a plan of action.

"Sir," Alfred said, breaking the silence."

"No, we had this discussion before," Thomas replied knowing what he was going to say, "I closed it for a purpose. I took Bruce's ideas, tried to steal my own son's invention, and... You already saw the result. I tried to do some good, but... If those greedy bastards find out it was Bruce's ideas... No, no, no... I can't, Alfred. I cannot risk Bruce's life again. Never..."

"Then you should have an honest conversation with Master Bruce. Confess and come clean. I am sure he has already noticed it the moment you showed him the batmobile that you took his blueprints," The butler told him matter-of-factly, his face ever-so-grim, "He even had a nice chat with Mr. Fox at the party... I think he is waiting for you to come clean."

"Haaa..." Thomas sighed as he rubbed his eyes, "Yeah, you are right. I will talk to Bruce, then if he wants, I will let him build the Arc Reactor. But there is still one thing I still don't get it." He turned to Alfred, "He scribbled those blueprints when he was like three... How did he invent an Arc Reactor? How could a three-year-old kid think of something that great instead of learning how to talk properly or play with toy cars or something? I mean, it's freaking Arc Reactor! It makes you think, doesn't it?"

"Yes, then he even stopped the assassination attempt ten years ago at the Crime Alley..." Alfred nodded his head thoughtfully.

"You were right, Alfred. I think it's about time to have a serious talk with my son," Thomas concluded, already having a new plan for the betterment of Gotham in his mind. "Just to be on the safe side, I will have Lucious work on a side project to prevent the power outage somehow. I am sure he can come up with something interesting. In case the Arc Reactor plan fails, we will have a second option in our belt."

"Smart," Alfred nodded as Thomas started to leave the cave.

"Sir..."

Thomas stopped and looked back.

"What about this secret?" He pointed toward the glass case where a black bat-themed combat armor was locked securely, "Will Master Bruce ever learn the truth?"

"That's in the past, Alfred. I have achieved what I wanted and Bruce woke up. Right now, I am the Mayor of Gotham City, soon to be a Senator, and a family man," He explained, walking toward the armored suit as he continued, "Gotham City deserves her hero back. She can't be left vulnerable to the mob's rampage, nor the corrupt police..."

He turned back, and continued, "But, I plan to solve it all as Thomas Wayne, not as The Devil Bat. Besides, I am 40 years old now. I had my share of fun. It is time to bury that past in the darkness. The people of Gotham need a good Mayor, not a Bat... Not anymore. Black Mask or whoever comes next... They won't be able to escape my special groomed task force in the future. You, and me, and Batman, Alfred. It's all in the past." He then started to climb the steps.

[Meanwhile in Gotham's Port]

Under the cover of the moonlit night, a submarine stealthily emerged from the dark waters. Its hatch opened, and a group of individuals clad in black suits and masks disembarked. Among them, a tall, imposing figure, wearing a distinct black mask.

The man approached the rendezvous point where Oswald Cobblepot, Penguin, awaited him. The Penguin was a rotund and cunning figure in Gotham's criminal underworld, his keen mind matching his peculiar appearance.

"Well, well, what brings you to my humble abode, Black Mask?" Penguin greeted the masked man with a sly grin, puffing on a cigar.

Black Mask, his identity hidden behind the eerie obsidian mask that adorned his face, spoke in a deep, gravelly voice. "I have a business that requires your... expertise, Penguin."

He raised an eyebrow, intrigued, "Oh, do tell. I've been itching for a new venture, and a partnership with the Black Mask Syndicate could be quite profitable."

Black Mask nodded, "I've heard of your skills, Oswald. Your connections and resources could be of great use to us. We have a... project, something that will shake Gotham to its core."

Penguin's eyes gleamed with interest. "I'm all ears, my friend."

Black Mask leaned in closer, speaking in hushed tones, "We've acquired a prototype technology capable of disrupting the city's power grid. Imagine the chaos we could unleash, the fear we could strike into the heart of Gotham. But this technology needs some modifications, and that's where you come in."

He chuckled darkly, puffing on his cigar, "Sounds intriguing, indeed. What's in it for me? You know the risks and the present situation isn't that good..."

Black Mask smiled beneath his mask, his eyes betraying his malevolent intent, "A generous share of the profits and a significant piece of the city, once we've brought it to its knees. Gotham will be ours to control, and you will be at the helm of it all."

Penguin grinned, revealing a row of sharp, yellowed teeth, "I do love the sound of that, but before that, we have to remove a thorn from this city."

"We will deal with Thomas Wayne. You find the metahumans. Two years is all I need to bring Gotham and Metropolis down to their knees..." Black Mask replied as he walked toward the parked cars.

"What if he shows up?" Penguin asked with a somewhat concerned expression.

"The Devil Bat is dead. You don't have to worry about him anymore..."

---

If you want to support me or read advance chapters, check out my Patr éon. 

Support Link: https://www.patr eon.com/XcaliburXc

⭐As of now, Pat reon is 18 chapters ahead⭐

[Exclusive r18 contents + exclusive patre on only r18 Originals and Images]

[No double billing] 

103