Ch: 70 [Cold]
1.1k 5 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dr. Pamela strode out of the lab, the night air crisp against her skin. Despite the late hour, her strides carried an unusual speed, an unusual energy that raced through her blood. She couldn't seem to get that rush out of her head.

The drive home was quiet, but her mind was racing with images of the plant and its mysterious properties. Her thumb throbbed faintly behind the bandage, a reminder of the tiny cut she had gotten while holding the blossoming flower. The little injury irritated her in ways she couldn't quite express.

The silence embraced her as she entered her rental apartment, an echo of the night that had settled outside. The wall clock flashed its sparkling digital numerals, indicating the hour was nearly midnight. Despite the time, her mind would not rest. Instead, it was as if the events of the day had given her a surge of energy, an inexplicable burst of vitality.

She turned on the lights, the startling brightness hitting her eyes. She kicked off her shoes quickly, the thuds ringing in the quiet room. Her gaze was drawn to the frosted window, which had a coating of dew on it. The night's frost seeped through the glass, reminding her of the world beyond her walls.

Ignoring the chill in the air, she made her way to the bathroom. The soothing glow of the vanity lights greeted her, creating a welcoming atmosphere. A hot bath called to her, a way to unwind after the stresses of the day's revelations.

Her fingers gently turned the tap, letting water pour into the tub. Soon the steam filled the air. The scent of lavender wafted through the air as she poured a generous amount of fragrant bath salts into the swirling water. Then she raised her arms over her head, stretching out the stiff muscles.

She undressed and slid into the tub, sinking into the hot water with a sigh. It embraced her like a warm cocoon, welcoming her home. She closed her eyes, enjoying the soothing sensation of the hot water on her skin.

"Haaa..." She sighed in relief, trying to calm her mind, but only if it was that easy.

Her mind, however, kept returning to the plant, its distinct qualities, and the green glow that seemed to dance inside its petals. The tiny gash on her thumb, a consequence of her research, felt strangely substantial. It throbbed faintly. She took off the bandage and noticed a weird green line around her thumb just where the cut was. She furrowed her brows, slightly concerned.

"Poison? Infrction?" She mumbled to herself as she pressed the place with her finger, "It stings, but... not painful. Humm... I will check it with the doc in the morning."

She lay her hand over her face for a moment, feeling the weight of the day and her questions.

Her gaze returned to the glass window, the drops of dew forming beautiful patterns. As she sunk deeper into the warmth of the bath, the steam surrounding her in a cocoon of serenity, the chilly night air seemed distant.

'I wonder if it will snow tonight,' she wondered, remembering the harsh chill of winter in Gotham.

In the shadows, an outline emerged. It was tall and cloaked, the shadow of its billowing coat dancing on the walls. Its eyes glowed, peering through the darkness, piercing the veil.

The water eventually began to cool, signaling the end of her meditative soak. She stepped out of the bath with a sigh, the drops flowing down her skin. She stepped onto the tiled floor, reaching for her towel and wrapping it around her body. Her stomach grumbled. She dried herself, wrapped her damp hair in a towel, threw a warm nightgown over her body, and padded softly into the living area.

After switching on the heater, she made her way toward the kitchen.

'Hm, well,' she thought to herself as she searched the refrigerator. 'I really need to stock up soon.'

There were two packs of meat you usually get in the supermarket and a bag of pre-chopped greens. But nothing she would describe as actual groceries.

"Where are the eggs?" She pulled the bottom drawer out of the freezer and peered in. "Fuck!" A pungent stench rose from the drawer, sending a wave of disgust over her. The stench of rotting food and old produce was overwhelming.

Her nose scrunched up in disgust, and she pushed the drawer back into the freezer. She quickly checked the meat packs and yup, they had expired a week ago. There were even some molds on them. Thankfully, they were still packed, saving her from another intense scent of decay.

"Ugh," she gagged and threw the meat out, leaving the door wide open. Then, she grabbed a trash bin and removed the other leftovers that had started to decay.

'Great, now what will I make for dinner?' She wondered, glaring at the barren fridge.

She checked her watch again. It was past midnight, so the usual nearby diners must already be closed. She took out her phone to order something online, but due to the harsh weather, they closed early. But if she is lucky, there might be the 24/7 mini-market down the block. So, with no other choice, she quickly slid into her warm coat, covered her ears and nose, and slipped on her comfortable boots.

"Well, let's go..." She walked out of her apartment and locked the door. She didn't notice but a faint green hue was coming from her iris as she walked toward her car.

The coldness of the night hit her the instant she walked outdoors, the chilly air stinging at her face. She walked quickly to her car, her breath forming little clouds in the freezing air. The streets were calm, almost eerie, as she drove through the poorly illuminated streets.

She observed the wavering neon sign that lighted the door as she drove up to the 24-hour mini-market. The store seemed unusually quiet, but the glow from within offered the warmth she craved. She stepped out of the car and dashed inside.

As she entered, the warm air of the market surrounded her, providing a dramatic contrast to the cold night. She walked down the rows, examining the shelves for anything that looked like an okay meal. At this hour, her options were limited, but she managed to uncover a little stockpile of instant cup noodles buried away on a shelf.

"I guess this will have to do," she muttered to herself.

As she approached the counter, she set the cup noodles down and waited for the cashier, who appeared to be half-awake behind the counter. He checked the items slowly, and she paid fast, wanting to get back to the comfort of her apartment.

She looked up at the foggy sky as she exited the market.

She rushed back to her car, fumbling with her keys before eventually unlocking the door and slipping inside. She exhaled in relief as the warmth re-encircled her. She tried to start the engine, but a clicking sound echoed in the quiet air, indicating it wouldn't be able to start anytime soon.

"Fuck! Come on, car! You were fine this morning!" She cursed and slammed her fists on the steering wheel. She pulled the key from the ignition and got out of the car, peering under the hood, looking for any loose wires or damage. It was too dark and foggy, plus the cold.

After a few minutes of poking around under the hood and checking the battery, she sighed as she slammed her fist on the car's roof. It would seem she had to call a tow company, but she doubts that they would be open at this hour in this cold.

So, she glanced at the bag of noodles resting beside her seat, cursing her luck. "Guess I will have to walk." She locked the car, threw the bag over her shoulder, and started walking back.

As she was cursing her luck, she felt as if someone was following her. She kept her eyes straight as if she was trying to ignore the shadow behind her. She pulled her coat tighter, picking up her pace, her eyes fixed on the frost-covered ground.

As the cold wind blew harshly, the temperature dropped steadily. Her eyes darted behind her, and she saw someone was following her. It was not the cold that made the hair on the back of her neck stand up.

It was those three shadows chasing her.

---['favourite' the chapter if you liked it.]---[Ratings, reviews and comments are always welcome.]---

If you want to support me or read advance chapters, check out my Patr éon. 

Support Link: https://www.patr eon.com/XcaliburXc

⭐As of now, Pat reon is 16 chapters ahead⭐+ [Spiderman- 0X early access- 21 chapters]

[Exclusive r18 contents] [No double billing] 

---

63