Chapter 11: What Now?
130 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
Early chapter! Happy thanksgiving everyone 😊💕

LILIANNA

When Lilianna awakened in her dream, a burst of pigments filled her vision. Her body was as light as air. She floated towards a spot, and with her as the catalyst, the surroundings filled in the details. She sat on the canopy bed and watched as the world instantly took shape as she desired.

Lilianna’s chest tingled. She searched around for Phoenix’s presence, and noticed a soul starting to manifest in her space. Phoenix’s still unconscious soul floated towards her, and Lilianna carefully placed her on her lap. 

Visions of her earlier nightmare invaded her mind. Much like the present moment, Phoenix also lay on her arms, bloody and unconscious. Lilianna hoped there wasn’t a deeper meaning to it and that it would remain just a fleeting bad dream.

When Phoenix’s eyebrows furrowed, Lilianna’s expression relaxed, and she gently smoothed out the creases on Phoenix’s brow. She had an urge to press her lips against Phoenix’s forehead, but quickly swatted those thoughts away. Instead, she held her tighter in her arms.

“Hey. You seem preoccupied.” Lilianna felt a light pressure of a flick in between her eyebrows.

Lilianna smiled, “I missed you.” 

“It’s been a day. You’re being over-dramatic.”

Phoenix rose up from Lilianna’s lap and scanned the world around them. When Phoenix’s eyes fixated on her, lips tightened, Lilianna immediately straightened up.

“How was it? Being in that world,” Lilianna asked carefully.

Phoenix’s gaze shifted down to her translucent fingers, clenching and letting go. “It felt like I lost myself completely.”

Phoenix squinted her eyes as if she was searching for more words to say, but she wasn’t able to come up with anything. Lilianna empathized deeply with her confusion since her soul also grappled to keep her identity within Lily Bianca’s body. 

Lilianna stroked Phoenix’s back.

“You don’t have to do anything. Just keep following the loop as Lily Bianca, and I’ll help you escape from Damon’s mansion.” Lilianna bit her tongue and didn’t end up speaking what she thought. She already knew Phoenix wouldn’t agree to this.

“Before I slept, I think I was able to momentarily control the body.”

“Really?” Lilianna’s eyes widened, disbelief immediately flooded her mind. Phoenix had only been in the body for a day, and she was able to control it? Lilianna didn’t even know if that was possible.

“Yes. I might be able to break through the loop.” Lilianna smiled, not knowing how to take that information. She didn’t think Phoenix would lie about this. 

On one hand, Lilianna felt a glimmer of hope about the possibility of returning to her original body. On the other hand, this meant allowing Phoenix to navigate a world Lilianna wouldn’t be able to predict. 

She didn’t want Phoenix to be in danger. However, if Phoenix genuinely wanted to break the loop, Lilianna wouldn’t be able to control her actions. Despite being a dream consciousness, Lilianna felt her body grow heavy.

Phoenix, still preoccupied with how to solve the time-loop problem, didn’t realize Lilianna’s dilemma. “I’m sure you’ve experienced this before. Do you have any advice on how I can be aware in that body after waking up?”

Lilianna sighed. “I don’t think you should change the time-loop.”

“Huh? Then why did we swap souls to begin with?” Phoenix’s voice raised, but immediately returned to her usual calm tone. 

“I wanted to help you get out of Damon’s mansion.”

Phoenix stayed silent after being reminded of their previous conversation. Lilianna scooted over and softly laughed as she removed the firefly on Phoenix’s nose. Hopefully, this would distract Phoenix.

“Listen, you don’t have to do anything, okay? We don’t know what it’ll be like if we messed with the time-loop. You might end up in danger even more than being held captive in Damon’s place.” Lilianna caressed Phoenix’s hair in an attempt to soothe her. 

Unfortunately, it hadn’t been effective.

Phoenix grabbed her hand and glared at Lilianna. Her eyes glinted and mirrored the hazy orange glow of the sun in the sky. “I don’t give a shit. I’ve lived my whole life in danger. This won’t be any different.”

Lilianna flinched, feeling the intensity of Phoenix’s scorching anger through every essence of her soul. Her chest vibrated intensely as if mimicking a rapid heartbeat. At the same time, a numbing helplessness washed over her, causing her chest to feel like it was frozen.

“You think it won’t affect me if something happens to you?” Her words spilled out awkwardly, pausing unnaturally. The intense chill of anxiety in Lilianna flared up and transformed into rage.

Lilianna shoved Phoenix’s hand away. “You don’t care if you put yourself in danger, but I do! You always carry everything on your shoulders.” Lilianna’s finger pointed at Phoenix, accusing her. “You never ask for my help! How can I trust you to be okay?!”

The surroundings stilled at Lilianna’s outburst. The air stopped flowing, and the fish ceased to make splashing sounds.

Her emotions still worked up, Lilianna marched off the bed. She didn’t like dealing with conflicts, especially not with Phoenix. 

She sat down on the grass, manifested a big tree, and leaned against it. As her emotions simmered, the fishes in the pond began to swim freely. Lilianna stared at them absentmindedly.

She definitely was not the one in the wrong.

When Lilianna peeked over to Phoenix’s direction, she saw her lying on the canopy bed. Fine. If she didn’t want to talk, so be it.

gsD6emF.jpg

At least, that’s what she thought before remembering she needed Phoenix’s input to find the hidden cameras in the mansion. 

Lilianna rested her head on her knees. The fireflies  flashed around her as if they were trying to comfort her. She didn’t realize pulling Phoenix’s soul would generate this many conflicts. 

She just wanted to build a space where they could forget about their problems in the real world.

Lilianna glanced at Phoenix and dipped her head down again. She really didn’t want to walk back there. She was only concerned about Phoenix’s well-being. She wasn’t wrong.

However, Lilianna knew they didn’t have all the time in the world. She might wake up randomly and end the dream, or hours might have already passed by without knowing. 

With her whole soul resisting the idea, Lilianna trudged back towards Phoenix. The water flowed harshly in the pond as she gazed at Phoenix settled on the bed.

When she sensed Lilianna coming by, her eyes focused onto her and waited.

“I’m still against your idea, but—”

“I haven’t apologized to you, have I?” Lilianna was startled at Phoenix’s words. Her mouth froze in its place, unable to say more.

“About the accident. You wouldn’t be here if I had been more transparent with you.” Phoenix held her gaze as she raised herself from the bed.

“I’m sorry.” 

Lilianna’s eyes misted at Phoenix’s unexpected apology. For a moment, her mind drew a blank, and she struggled to find words. Images of the past surged her mind when she was kidnapped alongside Phoenix.

“I never blamed you.” Lilianna positioned herself next to Phoenix. “You, Isaac, everyone told me not to go to your place for a while, but I didn’t listen. It was my own fault.”

Another silence.

It was apparent to Lilianna that Phoenix still harbored guilt over the accident. She also stood firm in her perspective. Convincing each other otherwise would be futile.

Lilianna’s fingers brushed against Phoenix’s hand. “By the way, I saw the outline of Damon’s house. Can you help me find potential hidden cameras?”

Phoenix seemed to also want to put a pause in this conflict. She replied, “sure.”

Lilianna grabbed Phoenix’s arm, and their souls coasted above the scenery. The world crashed together and formed a whirl of mess.

"This is
 something. Wow.”

Then, the mess exploded with colors. From there, their environment was restructured to mimic the layout of Damon’s Mansion. The two souls drifted down to the room with the bigger bathroom.

Phoenix did a quick scan. “This wasn’t where he kept me.”

“Yeah, I asked for a different room. He must’ve let his guard down since you lost your memories.”

Phoenix pet Lilianna’s hair with her free hand, “well done.” 

Lilianna felt even lighter than air.

When they entered the bathroom, it was the exact replica of the purple-gold marble flooring. Lilianna tilted her head up at the ceiling. 

“Are there possibilities of any hidden camera in this bathroom? I’m likely going to use this multiple times and I don’t want anyone to
to
” to see you naked. Little prickling sensation rushed up to Lilianna’s cheeks. Regardless of any hidden cameras, she’d be able to see Phoenix’s body. She didn’t want to seem like a pervert.

Phoenix’s eyebrows curled, but luckily didn’t probe further. “Like I said, check the vents. For this room, you should inspect the shower heads, towel racks and light fixtures for any small holes. These kinds of cameras usually emit a small, glowing light, so you can turn the lights off at night and check.”

Lilianna nodded. “Okay. What about outside the room? Which areas are likely to have hidden cameras?” She mentioned the surveillance camera positions. Phoenix stated they were usually found in the hallways, entryways and special rooms. 

As Lilianna absorbed this information, she led Phoenix to an area on the second floor. It had a living room with two big windows on each corner.

“Unlike the window from the bathroom, these ones aren’t barred. I think the easiest way to escape is through one of them. I can slide them open at night and float downwards. What do you think?”

“It won’t be that easy.” Phoenix began to mention other factors such as sensors and guards outside. 

Lilianna listened intently, but Phoenix’s new information about sensors and guards quickly overshadowed her earlier remarks about the hidden cameras.

Lilianna’s mind spun as she tried to retain all this new knowledge together, and her understanding soon crumbled.

“Are you still with me?” Phoenix noticed her struggling. Lilianna shook her head. 

At the same time she wished she could communicate with Phoenix using a smartphone, an idea struck her. Lily Bianca had used the same method to establish a connection with Delbert after the Winter Ball. She wasn’t sure if it could connect between two worlds, but it was worth a try.

“I was just thinking there could be a way for us to communicate with each other when we’re awake,” Lilianna said. They both walked over and rested on the black, leather sofa. Phoenix didn’t say anything, and motioned for her to continue.

“During the Winter Ball, after the dance, Lily Bianca and Delbert spent the evening chatting together.” Lilianna reached from her chest to Phoenix. “Delbert would have offered a brooch to Lily Bianca as a sign of affection, and Lily Bianca would accidentally leave her ring behind during that exchange.” 

Lilianna noticed confusion forming on Phoenix’s face, so she wrapped up her story.

“Later on, Lily Bianca used Delbert’s icy teardrop brooch to establish a connection with Delbert who had her ring. That is to say, after you’ve gotten Lily Bianca’s ring back, maybe we can use that to establish contact with me if I used your necklace.” Lilianna was talking about the necklace she had given to Phoenix. When she woke up in Phoenix’s body, she noticed it around her neck.

“Who’s Delbert?” Phoenix evidently had multiple ways to render Lilianna speechless.

“What do you mean? You should have met Delbert
”

Phoenix massaged her forehead. “The only two I remember were Prince Neil and Astor. Unless
”

Phoenix’s hand dropped to her chin as she thought. “Unless you meant the guy who looked like me? Is that his name, Delbert?”

Lilianna was unsettled with how things were progressing.

“Yes. After dancing, Lily Bianca and Delbert were supposed to have a long chat and get to know each other. Did that happen when you were in Lily Bianca’s body?”

“No
”

Lilianna was currently intangible, but she still felt a rush of blood gushing through her head that she almost felt dizzy. 

She didn’t have to keep Phoenix from changing the time-loop. Somehow, a shift had already happened. 

 

Whose POV do you want to follow (first) after this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
3