Chapter 1 – Two Bodies?
1.6k 12 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Where am I…?” 

 

After I died of heart disease, I found myself in an endless white space with a floating keyboard and a prompt to enter my wish. I had no body, yet I could type freely. When I tried prompts such as to return to Earth or wishing my family more fortune, it unfortunately resulted in an error message. 

 

With a fulfilled life, there was nothing else I could have wished for. As a social media influencer, I garnered a nice following that allowed me to pursue my hobby of gaming whilst also providing for my family. 

 

Thus, I decided to return to my roots. I wanted to play the game that changed me for one last time- I wanted to play Siren’s Calling. That was my wish in the afterlife as the world once again descended into darkness. 

 

-

 

““What is this?”” Two voices sounded, one belonging to a young girl and the other to an older gentleman. 

 

I could see two different sceneries before me. One was a luxurious bedroom with an extremely soft and comfortable bed. The other was a bountiful forest, with lush grass and towering trees accompanied by the chirping of birds. 

 

[You’ve been granted (Unknown Skill: Parallel Thinking)]

 

Suddenly, the disconnection that I had felt from seeing two different sceneries became more coherent. It felt normal to move my limbs around from both perspectives after testing. As for the unknown prompt from before- it was nowhere to be found again. 

 

“System? Guide? Helper?” I tried calling out on my male side, however I received no response. 

 

When I said I wanted to play Siren’s Calling again, I never expected being in both my main account, which was a male paladin, and my alt account, which was a female mage. Atleast, this is what it looked like. 

 

From memory, my paladin account under the name Marcus was fully maxed out at level 200. I had imagined him as a young, blond-haired heroic figure scarred by war when I first created him in my teenage years. On the other hand, my mage account under the name Amelia was only level 90. A fan had asked me to try out a free-to-play run in the game, so I created a young girl with long brown hair using the fan’s suggestions. 

 

With my situation somewhat realised, the next step was naturally to do something. However, what was there to do? My choice here was naturally quite stupid, but it nevertheless reignited a sense of youth that I hadn’t felt in a while.

*Knock Knock*

 

“Good morning Professor Amelia, I’m here to bring you this semester’s schedule for review,” A voice called out from outside the bedroom door. Concentrating more on Amelia’s side, I got out of bed and opened the door to reveal a kind-looking old lady. 

 

“Thank you, I will look over them,” I acted as naturally as I could. After some small talk, I waved the lady goodbye as I took a folder from her. 

 

“I forgot I was doing the academy sidequest,” I muttered to myself. It was a side quest that most mage players used to grind for reputation points. 

 

Reputation points were extremely useful as it allowed players to access the mage towers, which were filled with useful books used to learn spells needed for the end-game dungeons. 

 

“I should test if my skills work or not,” I headed outside to an empty courtyard that I could see from my window. I was already wearing the gear I originally had, though I was missing my staff. 

 

Whilst I was moving as Amelia, I decided to also move as Marcus. However, as I tried to move the two at the same time, I began to trip as both and face planted on the ground. 

 

“Ugh… This is weird as expected, but strangely natural. Was this because of the earlier prompt?” I decided to try again. It was strangely fun falling over and restarting. 

 

After I kissed the ground one too many times, I managed to get around walking with both bodies at the same time. I continued walking as Marcus, trying to find a way out of the forest, whilst Amelia arrived at the courtyard. 

 

Concentrating more on my Amelia side, I tried conjuring a fireball spell by pointing my hands up into the sky. As if by instinct, the veins in my arm felt a rush of coolness as a fireball with the diameter of at least a metre shot upwards. 

 

Feeling a rush of adrenaline, I shot up a few more fireballs. I recounted some other spells and tried them out as well. However, after an hour of testing random spells, a sense of fatigue washed over my body.

 

“So this is what zero MP feels like…” I huffed with some excitement as Amelia. This world had so much to explore, I could feel the rush I had initially felt during my teenage years when I first picked up gaming. 

 

“This is no longer a game… This is no longer… a game? Wait, wouldn’t my job be a teacher? SInce this is no longer a game, that means I can’t just auto-teach my students,” I reasoned to myself as I sat exhausted on a nearby bench. 

 

“I don’t even know the curriculum… Ah, wait, I still have the folder from that lady,” I got up from the bench and rushed back to my room. After getting lost for a few minutes, I eventually found it since it had the door wide open. 

 

Opening the folder, it had a timetable covering a fortnight filled with different classes at different times. Although I had a clock, I didn’t know what the date was. However, leaving that issue for later, I only had to teach two classes. 

 

It was Magecraft Ethics and Magecraft Combat. Additionally, there was a syllabus guideline in the folder, however it was fairly general and broad.

 

As I was about to leave my room in search of a library as Amelia, I quickly switched my concentration to Marcus, who seemed to have encountered something. 

 

Hello! Author here, hope you enjoyed first chap. I'm just writing for fun as a hobby during highschool, but I still appreciate feedback to improve my writing or to fix any grammatical errors! Here is our protag(s):

55