CH16: Moose Encounter
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ground trembled beneath the colossal weight of what seemed to be a giant moose, charging its way towards me, its massive antlers threateningly aimed at me. Panic surged through me as I darted to the side, narrowly avoiding the deadly charge. The creature's speed and agility were surprising, and by the looks of it, a damn formidable opponent.

 

My mind raced as I was assessing the situation. I tried to put some distance between myself and the relentless beast, but to no avail, as the smaller trees shook as the giant moose plowed through the forest, leaving destruction in its wake in its attempt to crush me.

 

The realization then struck me—I couldn't outrun this creature. It was time to confront the threat head-on. I took out the magic staff that Eoin lent me, and focused my mana into its reserves as he told me. Even with this though, the spells at my disposal were utter shit.

 

The earth-shaking footsteps of the giant moose echoed behind me.

 

As the colossal creature closed in, my senses heightened. Time seemed to slow down for me as I prepared myself for the impending clash. The beast lunged at me, but I let out a burst of [Wind Magic], propelling myself a few paces away, narrowly evading the charge.

 

However, the giant moose's speed was unmatched. In the blink of an eye, I felt the impact against my back, sending me flying through the air.

 

I think my neck collided against something, like with a hard object, and an electric shock surged throughout my body. For a moment, my life flashed before my eyes, and memories of my mundane existence from my previous life resurfaced.

 

Stacks of unread books and the monotony of a daily routine flashed through my mind.

 

I used to spend long, dragging hours in a cramped office. You know, the kind with flickering fluorescent lights that could drive anyone crazy. Endless stacks of paperwork, endless cups of coffee just to stay awake through the monotony. The hours blurred together, and it felt like I was stuck in a loop, doing the same thing over and over.

 

My room back then, well, it was something else. Unkempt would be an understatement. Clothes scattered everywhere, like I was in a constant battle with my own laundry. The bed was barely visible under a mountain of papers, clothes, and whatever else found its way there. It was like a chaotic maze I navigated every night just to get some sleep.

 

And let's not even talk about the state of my apartment. The only clean thing in that whole place was the sink. I guess I just couldn't stand dirty dishes, so I made sure that sink was always spotless. A weird quirk, maybe, but it was my way of keeping a tiny piece of order in the midst of the mess.

 

Then, to my surprise, my [Magic Eye] activated, showing the stats of the giant moose. In an instant, I was back in the present, lying on the forest floor. The giant moose stood menacingly before me, its eyes filled with aggression.

 

 It shocked me that I hadn't used this at all.  I could have consciously used the ability, but there was just barely time for me to even think about it.

 

[Inspecting]

<Giant Moose>

Level: 80

HP: 999/1,050

Stamina: 1,502/1,700

Mana: 1,250/1,250

Weaknesses: Fire Magic

Resistances: Physical Attacks, Ice Magic

 

I noticed the creature's immense strength and agility, and realized that a straightforward confrontation was not an option (nor was an escape possible). This creature was stronger than that Ice Bear we encountered at the castle dungeon.

 

I immediately thought of my limited mana reserves. I need a strategy to overcome this powerful beast. I also wondered if this giant moose is capable of magic, but I have not yet seen a single instance of any magic abilities that it has used.

 

As the giant moose prepared for another charge, I conjured [Wind Magic] once again. This time, however, I used it to manipulate the environment. A giant tree, thick with branches, began to lean precariously. It had been previously hit by the enraged beast, and was barely stable from its powerful charge earlier. With precise timing, I directed the fall of the tree to intercept the charging creature.

 

“[Wind Magic]!” I yelled, my right hand pointed towards the base of the sloping tree. This also shocked the beast for some reason, and I can’t help but laugh it off in my mind.

 

The plan worked, and the giant moose crashed headlong into the fallen tree. Seizing the opportunity, I invoked another [Wind Magic] to propel myself away from the beast. The giant moose, now momentarily stunned at last, struggled to free itself from the entangled branches.

 

I sighed in relief.

 

[Inspecting]

<Giant Moose>

Level: 80

HP: 940/1,050

Stamina: 1,344/1,700

Mana: 1,250/1,250

Weaknesses: Fire Magic

Resistances: Physical Attacks, Ice Magic

 

Still cautious of my mana reserves, I decided to attempt a long-ranged attack. Channeling [Fire Magic], I released a stream of flames and used a long chain of mana as a fuel to send it towards the giant moose's face.

However, it seems that my lack of control over the mana caused the flames to dissipate before reaching the target.

 

Undeterred, the downed beast rose to its four feet, with its limbs temporarily shaking from the shock.

 

The giant moose, now enraged, closed the distance against me rapidly. It caught me off-guard once again. I felt its horns against me, and I knew I was going to die.

 

I unconsciously casted [Wind Magic] once again, to push myself away from impending death.

 

But there was no time.

 

Desperate to live, I punched into the [Wind Magic] I casted earlier with another [Wind Magic] that I casted unconsciously.

 

The combination of my consecutive [Wind Magic] spells turned my desperate attempt into a forceful punch which sent a shockwave through the air.

 

Surprisingly, the giant moose succumbed to my punch and fell into a deep slumber.

 

[Inspecting]

<Giant Moose>

Level: 80

HP: 811/1,050

Stamina: 1,100/1,700

Mana: 1,250/1,250

Weaknesses: Fire Magic

Resistances: Physical Attacks, Ice Magic

 

 

The forest, once filled with the tension of the impending battle, fell into an eerie silence as the giant moose lay peacefully, its fearsome demeanor replaced by a tranquil slumber.

 

“Let’s see what we’ve got this time.” I spoke to myself, now using the [Magic Eye] to assess my condition.

 

[Ferdinand Tamadito]

[Human]

<Mage-Class X>

Level 4

[XP:430/1264]

[Status]

<HP:97/105>

<Stamina:54/127>

<Mana:400/925>

<Satiation:130/254>

Weariness: 51.74%

Fatigue is evident, and the individual may struggle to sustain prolonged activity. Adequate rest and recovery are essential to prevent exhaustion and burnout.

Injured

Wounded. Regeneration rate [75%]

[Attributes]

Strength: 10

Dexterity: 10

Agility: 10

Intelligence: 10 [1,000]

Constitution: 25

Charisma: 10

[Buffs]

<Magician's Blood>

[You hail from a lineage of renowned magicians.]

[Intelligence multiplier +100%]

<Arcane Insight>

[Attains a heightened state of awareness, granting the ability to perceive and comprehend one's own stats with extraordinary clarity.]

 

I felt a gaze behind me and immediately turned to see what it was.

 

"Magic Resonance?" Eveline muttered in disbelief, who exchanged puzzled glances with Nicostratos.

 

“Everyone?” I asked, confused why the Expedition Guild was there.

 

“What are you doing here?” Fidèle asked, with genuine terror in his face.

 

1