James II: Vulnerability Of A King
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My tattered clothing from the battle on Mount Tamalpais wasn't exactly ideal for a party.

Because of that, the first thing I did was get some fresh drip. I ended up getting one of those toga robe things along with some golden leaves for my head.

I looked in the closest mirror, fixing up my hair a little.

I'm ready to go craazy.

After a good drink of soda (they wouldn't let me touch the wine), I was ready to shoot my shots. When I looked around, there weren't all that many people nearly as good-looking as me. Did I get more handsome or did my ego just increase?

Well, it didn't matter.

I went for the first Goddess that caught my eye.

She had beautiful golden wings that shined like the sun, her long brown hair was braided together and she had a tall, elegant physique.

When I met her gaze, I grinned slightly.

"Do you have a sunburn or are you always this hot, baby?"

"..." She paused, frowning slightly. "I am not hot, James King."

I think she took it too literally…

"It was a compliment to your appearance, my beautiful goddess." I winked. "Perhaps you'd like to join me in a dance?"

"A dance…" She remarked. "Very well."

When I say she was extremely critical and nit-picky about every little thing… I mean it.

I thought I was a good dancer but she absolutely ripped apart my self-esteem over just a couple minutes. Her appearance also shifted a little when we touched.

"Such a lacklustre performance." She spoke, like she was my mom and I had just returned with a report card full of shit grades. "You disappoint me, child. How do you expect to win with those mediocre skills? James King… you never fail to waste your talents."

"..."

My… talents? What does she know about me?

"I didn't do that bad…"

"Your standard is to be the very best in all of existence." She countered harshly, looking down at me. "No one should be better than you at anything. 'Good' is beyond inadequate, you do not live by normal standards. Or was I just gravely wrong and you were born to be a loser like the rest?"

"..."

She flapped her wings and turned away.

"You better hone those skills properly… or never show them again."

When I looked at her wings, I had a strange feeling.

That…

Was my mom. It had to be. I recognised that voice, especially towards the end.

Emerge victorious in all your endeavours, my son… for you were born to win…

I recalled her words. She sounded the exact same.

Oh my days… I just tried to rizz up… my divine mom.

I paused, letting it sink in. I felt awkward for a long time.

Sweet home Alabama…

I let out a chuckle, shaking my head.

Alright… how about a Goddess that isn't my mom?

"For a moment, I had thought that you were one of my own."

My thoughts were interrupted by a voice I recognised. It was one of the major Goddesses. The one Rokas had warned me against.

I turned to face her.

"Such beauty and passion, to think that she would give birth to a child as fine as you." She stepped closer to me, touching the side of my face. She was moving a bit quick, I can't lie. "Though, Victory and Love do go hand-in-hand… wouldn't you say? Love is the greatest triumph one can have."

"... That is true." I nodded, grinning slightly. "So, you're the Greek Goddess of Love and Beauty?"

"Lust, sexuality, desire and… pleasure." Aphrodite smiled, moving her hand through my golden hair. Every word she spoke was enchanting like a magic spell. "You may call me Aphrodite or Venus, whichever you prefer."

Why am I the one getting rizzed up here?

"Well, I'm James King… but you can call me King James. It's a pleasure to meet you, Aphrodite."

"I see, you prefer my Greek name…" Aphrodite chuckled. "So, how do you find Olympus?"

"Other than the whole part of Zeus trying to destroy my friend, I'd say it is the most brilliant place I've ever been to."

"You have yet to see my palace."

It's been a while since I blushed… but I might've just then. Her golden hair and sparkling blue eyes were so beautiful. I felt trapped in them.

Though, it was the most colourful prison in the world…

"Trying to get the golden boy in trouble?" Apollo interrupted.

"Only the good kind." Aphrodite's lips curled into the most seductive smile. "Isn't that right, James?"

"Mhm…"

"You remind me a little of Adonis, the most handsome mortal to ever live." Apollo remarked' glancing at Aphrodite. "Do you know what happened to him?"

"Nah, I barely know any of the stories." I shook my head.

"Heh… he was killed by a boar."

"Just a boar?" I chuckled. "He wasn't all that, then."

"It was no ordinary boar. Love is a dangerous game to play, remember that. You are a most handsome hero with courage and passion to match, so your life will be full of that danger."

"What are you implying, Apollo?" Aphrodite's eyes seemed to glow pink. "You should mind yourself."

"... Right." He chuckled, turning to me. "I came here to tell you that your lovely brotherhood will have to split soon. You might not know the truth but two of you are Roman demi-gods… you and that other blonde with green eyes. That means you can't go to Camp Half-Blood."

"What, seriously?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Don't tell the other two any specifics. It's top-secret stuff for you mortals."

"That's bullshit." I shook my head. "Who's going to stop me from going with them?"

"Even if you tried, you would not see it. The Mist would hide Camp Half-blood. It is unfortunate… but your place is in Camp Jupiter." Apollo shrugged his shoulders. "Honestly, in many ways, it is the better camp. I think you'd like it."

Mad… that Hecate woman knows all four of us would fuck shit up wherever we went. We had to be split in twos.

Well, that's… not how things are going to work. No matter what forces divide us, we'll always unite again.

"..." I sighed. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out while the others go to Camp Half-Blood."

"I think an individual like you would take the camp by storm." Aphrodite added, her eyes narrowing as she focused on me. "There are many beautiful girls waiting for a young man like you to break their hearts."

"... I might have to stay a bit longer, then."

"I'll pick you two up after the party." Apollo turned away. "I don't think I need to remind you to enjoy yourself."

"He's just a bit jealous." Aphrodite remarked. "Man or woman, Apollo sees beauty in all."

"Yeah… I don't swing that way." I turned to her. "By the way, what's this about the Ares and Hephaestus Gods?"

"What about them?"

"You know, you're married to one and shagging the other." I raised an eyebrow. "How are you not, you know, divorced?"

"Oh, you sweet child. Gods have many affairs. Where do you think those demi-gods come from?" Aphrodite chuckled, fixing her hair. "Hephaestus is my dutiful husband and Ares is my favourite lover."

"So… you get around."

"Don't you, 'King James'?" Her eyes flashed a little as she offered her hand. "Join me for a dance. Don't fear, I don't bite… usually."

"Usually." I raised an eyebrow, smiling slightly. "Well, I wouldn't be a gentleman if I turned you away."

Right on cue, the music changed to Dirty Diana. We started to dance slowly. After my mom's lecture, I was a lot more focused. She was right… my dancing had gotten a bit sloppy.

This time, I made sure my footwork was almost perfect.

"Your heart dances with fear." Aphrodite remarked with a smile. "Fear of commitment, fear of love… fear of heartbreak."

"…"

My focus didn't break. Though, I didn't dispute her claims. She was right. I… didn't want to feel betrayed again.

"You may sleep with a thousand women, delve into a pit of pleasure and desire… but never embrace the love in your heart." Aphrodite remarked, smiling slightly. "You could face an army of monsters, a mighty Titan and the wrath of Zeus willingly without fear… but never give love a second chance. Isn't that something?"

The thought of Caroline came to mind…

The girl I had given my world to.

Only for her to burn it to cinders.

Aphrodite increased the tempo, leading me to slip a little.

"Oh, my. Was I going too fast?"

"... Don't act like you know me." I countered, with a cold tone. "I'm not scared of love. It's just that no one is worthy of me dedicating myself solely to them."

"Ah, yes. King James." Aphrodite playfully chuckled, her appearance changing gradually. It began to resemble someone I once knew. "Doesn't a King need a Queen? Isn't that what you called that girl… the one who broke your heart?"

I froze, letting go.

A shy yet regal, elegant expression. Narrow, dark, eyes that could shine with greater brilliance than the stars. The sweetest of smiles, the white cheeks that turned into cherry blossoms when she blushed. The lustrous red lips…

Caroline… my Caroline.

An innocence that corrupted the soul.

The girl that I wanted to embrace for eternity. Hold her close, conquer everything together. My heart, my soul. We had joined together so many times… shared our passions, our happiness, our dreams and ambitions…

I lifted her up with me, all the way to the peak of the mountain.

My Queen…

Yet…

She betrayed me.

Tossed me aside like a piece of garbage that no longer interested her…

"How dare you… use her image." I glared at Aphrodite, who remained smiling.

I felt my body burn with uncontrollable anger.

"Such a fierce flame… poor, poor, James." Aphrodite… Caroline… pouted. Her mocking tone was only fuel for the fire. "Did I break your heart?"

I wanted to slap her…

"This face really is the one you viewed as the most beautiful in the world. Such love… such dedication. It truly is adorable." Caroline giggled, tilting her head. She reached for my hand and grasped it with both of hers. "I don't care about my future, my studies, my career… James, you are my future. Let's get married, okay?"

Slap.

I… I slapped her.

"Oh…" Aphrodite touched the side of her face. "It has been a long time since someone had the gall to strike me with such fury. A young man, no less…"

"Don't play with me or I'll do it again." In my peripheral vision, I saw a couple of beings looking at me with surprised expressions. "I don't care who you are…"

I turned around and left in a hurry. I didn't run but I may as well have been at the rate I was walking.

"You dropped your crown, King James."

I heard her voice in the distance.

Damn it…

I made a fool of myself.

Over that bitch.

"Love… isn't it the most powerful?"

I kept walking, refusing to turn back.

~

With that old, deep, wound opened up completely, I didn't have the heart to party anymore. I just found a corner and drank a bunch of shit.

It didn't make me feel any better.

Why… did I have to be like this?

Why do I care so much?

Fuck love.

Coincidentally, I saw Rokas at the other end of the palace. He was snagging all types of desserts… the fatty. Of course, he was.

How did he expect to get bitches looking like that?

Though… maybe he doesn't really need them, after all. He's happier than I am and I look better than him in almost every way, I have more friends, I'm way more confident, I can fight better than him on most days and I've smashed girls he could only dream of.

He looks up to me… and, yet… I… am jealous of him.

Why… can't I be happy?

No, I know…

It's because of the way I am. Obsessed with winning. I can't take a loss. I can't take rejection. I am always… determined… to win.

Then I saw Thalia sneak up on him and watched them talk. Really, it was so plain and obvious how he felt. She's a smart girl, there's no way she doesn't know.

They seemed to be having a good time. Somehow, Rokas didn't implode from within and ran away in a few seconds. He had glimmers of that unspoken rizz coming out.

Despite my bitterness, I managed a smile.

Rocky is growing before my eyes…

I hope she's the right one for him.

I decided to go someplace else. I didn't want Rokas to see me the way I am now.

I didn't know where I was going… just kind of letting the wind take me.

I saw Dennis wrestling Ares like they were doing some WWE promotion, Harry chatting up with a serious looking Goddess…

Fuck the rules.

I need to get this shit off my mind.

Why am I, King James, the one who's hiding?

I grabbed a wine bottle, popped it open and drained it down Dennis style. Down and down…

"Hey… you're a minor! You can't-"

I put down the bottle and took a deep breath, glancing at the person who spoke against me.

"Mate, kids have been drinking since this shit was created. Let me party my way, alright?"

I finished it off before anyone could say otherwise. I did it so easily… that I left myself shocked. The alcohol started to work its magic soon after.

It was time for the star to shine.

"James…" Harry seemed breathless. Did he run after me? "You don't look well."

"What are you talking about?" I grinned slightly. "I feel A-mazing."

"James-"

"Don't mind me, buddy. You keep doing what you're doing."

"This isn't the way to deal with it." Harry protested. "You've been like this several times… tell me, where does it lead?"

"A wonderful night." I pat his shoulder. "This is just the way I am. Let me have my fun, alright? Don't get jealous that I'm slaying goddesses tonight."

"You know I don't care about any of that. I just want you to be happy." Harry put away my hand. "Maybe you'll feel good in the moment, but what about after it? What are you left with?"

"Shining brightly makes me happy." I spread open my wings and ascended from the ground. "I was born to be a star… and I'll bloody well shine like one."

I know, Harry.

I know you're right.

But… right now, I don't want to hear any of that.

"..." Harry sighed.

"Everybody, rock your body."

"Everybody, yeah! Rock your body right."

"Backstreet's Back, alright!"

At first, all I got were some weird looks… but that didn't stop me. I was going to turn this palace into my concert. I was going to carry the soul of Michael Jackson for this night.

This party… was going to be mine.

"She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene."

"I met her on the way to Chicago, where she was all alone…"

"Beat me, hate me, you can never break me. Will me, thrill me, you can never kill me."

"My life will never be the same. 'Cause girl, you changed the way I walk. The way I talk. I can not explain these things I feel for you. But girl, you know it to be true."

"Stay with me, fulfill my dreams. And I'll be all you need, oooh…"

"You've been hit by, you've been struck by a smoooooth criminal."

I was having the performances of my life, each skill I've religiously refined showing the fruits of my labour.

Maybe it was my sorrow that turned to artistic brilliance… or maybe it was the drink I had.

Regardless, I was like the God of Dancing. The God of Singing. The God of Style. The God of Music. The God of Beauty. The God of Triumph.

I felt on top of the world.

By the end, I had an absurdly huge audience. I swear, the entirety of Olympus had been there. Apollo made me go to a larger venue and set it all up. He also set me up with better drip. I was playing instruments, dancing and singing my heart out.

The last song I performed was Man in the Mirror.

"I've been a victim of a kind of selfish love. It's time that I realise. There are some with no home, not a nickel to own."

"I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. And no message could have been any clearer… if you want to change the world, take a look at yourself and then make a change!"

"You know it, you know it… change… make that change!"

Finally, I let out my last bit of energy when the song ended. A raging applause followed. I grinned slightly, bending slightly to make a quick bow.

Unintentionally… I had also gathered a huge following.

"You would have outshone Michael Jackson himself!"

"Hail King James!"

"That… was the last." I added, smiling slightly. "Unfortunately."

"Please, one more… just one more song!"

"You can't stop, I just got here…"

"I'm afraid Olympus is only worthy of my finest performances." I waffled up an excuse, throwing my tophat into the crowd. "I'm going to retire for the night."

"Mine… that's mine!"

A whole battle had broken out over the hat. I decided to take off my shades and throw them into the mix. Then my suit, belt and tie.

Now… it had become a war between gods. Weapons were drawn, walls were destroyed and hearts were broken. The strongest goddess ended up hoarding everything.

Guess gods weren't really all that different from humans in some ways…

"Heartbreak makes for the best performances." Aphrodite remarked, smiling. Her form had changed from Caroline's, back to blonde. "You made Apollo look mortal."

"It was good, but not that good." Apollo countered.

"That was my best… that's all that matters to me."

~

When I 'retired for the night', let's just say I didn't do it alone…

I took a number of leng tings and did what I wanted. In a dance of lust and pleasure, I felt one of the greatest highs I ever knew.

And then… the low settled in when I woke up in the morning completely wasted.

Ugh…

Goddesses were pretty demanding. Shagging them was hard work. (Yes, I did it while protected… no, I don't want kids.)

Even worse, I felt like shit mentally.

I was… back to square one.

As Dennis said, I am the King of Fuckboys. It's not what I wanted. But it was far easier than leaving myself vulnerable to that pain again…

Maybe it's better this way.

Harry was the first of the lads to see me. Well, he was practically waiting by the door. I should've filed a restraining order.

"What, were you listening in on all the moaning?" I chuckled.

"No…" Harry denied. "Forty years from now, when your good looks fade away completely and you can't just hook up with anyone you like… what will you have? You would have probably slept with thousands of women but have nothing to show for it. No family, no love, no memories that have meaning. Just mindless, animalistic sex."

"Woah, Harry." I raised an eyebrow. "What's gotten you so mad?"

"You." Harry replied, frowning as he looked at me. I swear, I had never seen his green eyes look so angry. "Do you intend to be soulless forever? I'll ask again… when you're all alone on your deathbed, what will you have?"

"I'll have you."

"..."

I know damn well he didn't expect it. Man froze.

"I'll have you, Dennis and Rocky." I added, smiling. "My brothers in arms. When you have friends that are willing to go to war against the world for you… who needs a wife?"

Harry shook his head. I raised an eyebrow.

"The James I know doesn't ever give up. Everytime he falls, he gets right back up and rises even higher. No one is more determined than him… if he wants something, he gets it. No matter how many times it takes him to do it."

"No one in the world is more passionate than him. No one is more competitive. No one strives for greatness in everything like he does. He wants to win in every single way he can…"

I didn't interrupt him, listening to every word.

"That's the James King that I grew up with. The James that I admired." He looked like he was about to tear up. "It really and truly pains me… as your friend, to see you give up. The James I know would keep fighting for what he believes in… for what he believes is right. Until the end."

I don't know what it was… but his words were like magic. I felt uplifted. He was right, I never gave up on anything.

There was nothing in the world that I couldn't do when I set my mind to it.

"You can find your happiness, your love. The bliss you always wanted." Harry managed a smile. "You just… have to keep trying. You might fail several times, maybe a dozen. But… I know you'll succeed because you are King James. You just have to try."

"You… have to keep fighting for it. Fight for your love."

Fight… for my love.

"If Caroline isn't the one, then look again. Find the right person for you. In this world… she has to be somewhere."

I looked at Harry who took a deep breath and let it all out.

"I've said all I wanted to say, James. I hope you think about it and make a change." Harry did the cross gesture. "May God bless you and keep you."

He turned away with a heavy heart.

Why… is he always right?

I sighed.

Harry had paused and I turned to the source. Coincidentally, Artemis, Apollo and Zoe were all there. Did they listen in on the entire thing?

"Such a touching friendship… we didn't want to interrupt your speech." Apollo chuckled, scratching his hair

"Oh…" Harry glanced back at me. "I'm sorry. I should have been more discreet."

"It is fine." Artemis reassured us. "No one else heard. While my brother is here to take you to Camp Jupiter, Zoe wishes to extend her gratitude."

"Nah, it's fine." Harry smiled, shaking his head. "She saved my life way more."

"Thou took Atlas' mighty blow in my stead." Zoe countered, glancing at his arm. "That wound… should have taken my life. It was prophesied and yet you prevented it."

"It's… no big deal." Harry shook his head as he felt his wounded arm. "I'm perfectly fine. My body just moved on its own… I did what I thought was right."

"Even though thee may not look it, thee has a warrior's spirit. A noble warrior's." Zoe smiled a little as she sized him up. "It was an honor to fight alongside thee."

"The honour was all mine."

They should get married already.

"Even though this goody boy may look innocent, he might just be the one to take your lieutenant away from you." Apollo remarked, chuckling. "It's the innocent ones that are the most dangerous."

Ain't he a God of Prophecies?

He knows Harry is a lowkey Rizz-Demon. He doesn't mean to take your heart but he does it anyway… just by being his good-natured self.

Artemis glared at him. "Not all men are driven by lust. This boy is pure."

"You could strip Harry and lock him in a room full of naked ten out of ten's and he wouldn't touch a single one." I confirmed, smiling slightly. "Me, on the other hand…"

"We know. You've already made your fame." Artemis frowned. "Don't expect to accompany any of my hunters again."

"... Aha." I nervously chuckled. "Just don't take away my eyes. Or turn me into a girl."

"That experiment James spoke of… sounds like a fun thing to try out." Apollo smiled slightly. "Little sister, you want to place bets? I think he'd fold."

"Act your age, brother." Artemis rolled her eyes. "You and James King are far too alike. Are you certain he's not a son of yours?"

"I would've claimed him a while ago." Apollo shrugged his shoulders. "Whoever his divine parent is, they have very high standards."

Yeah… she does.

"Well, I bid you both a safe journey to Camp Jupiter." Artemis seemed to be looking at Harry more than me. "Let's go, Zoe."

"Don't forget to have fun." I remarked.

"I hope that our paths cross again." Zoe exchanged one more nod with Harry before following Artemis.

"... Likewise." Harry muttered.

Apollo and I exchanged looks. He smiled.

"Why are you both grinning?" Harry questioned, turning to the both of us.

"Nothing…" I chuckled.

"I do like where that ship is sailing." Apollo remarked absentmindedly.

"What ship?"

"Anyway." Apollo changed the subject. "You kids got your stuff packed? Who am I kidding you don't have any possessions here…"

"Nope." I shook my head. "But… I'd like to see my other friends first."

"Unfortunately, that isn't an option. They've already made their way to Camp Half-Blood." Apollo shrugged his shoulders. "Strict rules and regulations. The boring stuff. Technically, you four should have never been friends to begin with. At least… not with the other two. It's highly recommended that you never meet again."

"... What?" We both questioned simultaneously.

"Though, considering the strength of your friendship and the forces that stand behind you, it truly is a difficult situation. I, for one, do not intend to stand in the way of your brotherhood." Apollo gave us a reassuring smile. "Though you may not all meet together in either of the camps… the outside world isn't off limits. You kids get what I mean?"

"Yeah…" I nodded.

"Also, do not spread the knowledge of Camp Half-Blood's existence. Serious consequences would follow. The camps should not know of the other's existence."

"Why is that?"

"To avoid a war. It happened before with grave casualties… we want to avoid it from happening again." Apollo explained. "You see, we Gods have split forms. Greek and Roman. I am one of the few lucky ones who isn't too different."

Even Gods can have split personalities. You learn something new everyday.

"After all… you can't improve perfection." Apollo grinned slightly.

"We won't." Harry promised. "At least, not outside our group. It would be hard to explain where we've been."

"That… is fine. As long as it stays between you four. You're smart kids. Except the one who looks like he's twenty-five already."

"Dennis." I chuckled.

"Alright, let's not delay. Lupa is waiting for you."

Camp Jupiter…

A place of new beginnings.

1