Harry II: Lost Man’s Thoughts
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Olympian Party.

When I asked for information regarding the existence of God, pretty much everyone laughed at me. 

Maybe it was a stupid question for them, who were likely gods themselves, but it seemed pretty reasonable to me. 

If Greek Gods could exist, why not others? 

Then again, in Christianity, there was only a single god with three forms… no more. Yet, very clearly, these were divine beings with godly powers which matched their mythology.

"Your faith holds firm in that cross… despite all you've seen?"

A goddess with grey eyes approached me. She was one of the major gods who sat in the great hall and had a strong resemblance to Annabeth. 

It could only be Athena.

"It's… a mixed bag." I admitted, shaking my head. "I'm not sure if the existence of Greek Gods strengthens the possibility of mine existing or not. On one hand, gods exist… on the other, it would be strange if both existed at the same time."

"It would not be the strangest thing." Athena remarked, her expression still as a lake. "However, we Greek gods can hardly agree amongst ourselves on good days. Could you imagine trying to do so with other gods?"

"...Yeah, I don't think it would go well." I agreed with a slight nod. "Then… you must be the only gods."

"No, you would be wrong. Other gods do exist. You, yourself, are proof of that." Athena shook her head. "We simply avoid crossing their domains and they do the same."

So… it is possible.

"What do you mean by me being proof?" I raised an eyebrow. "Am I not a Greek demi-god like the rest?"

"No, you are Roman."

…Roman? 

"You would have realised this in the near future. As for the God you hold faith in… that is for you to discover yourself. It may or may not exist. The possibility certainly is there."

"...Thank you for answering my question." I smiled, lowering my head slightly. "I really do appreciate it."

"Your desire to seek knowledge should not have been brushed aside." Athena remarked. "Our duty as gods is not to jest at the expense of mortals but rather lead them along the right path."

"Well, even a part of me thought it was a bit of a silly question. I wouldn't blame them too much. Anyway, I have to thank you again."

"No need. I simply found your strong faith intriguing."

"... Well, I won't disturb you further." I smiled a little. "I have a lot of things to think about."

"Very well."

I saw James creep by in the corner of my eye. He was never all that good at hiding. By the pace of his steps, he seemed to be in a hurry…

But, for what reason?

James can be unbelievably stubborn at times, even more than Dennis. His striking determination tended to be his greatest strength… 

But, it could be a flaw at times too.

He didn't have to get drunk and party his heart out. That wasn't going to make him any happier, long-term.

If only he let me talk to him…

I sighed.

He began to bring out his performance skills, the same ones that had never lost a talent show in school or outside of it. James was a perfectionist who only had the highest expectations for himself. 

Everyone saw the shining brilliance… the results. Yet, the painstaking years he spent perfecting every single craft were really something else. 

James was always talented, a genius even… but his work ethic and determination were the things that pushed him even further beyond.

And so… he shined, even before an audience of gods. Even though they didn't rate him much at first, he kept at it, again and again… pouring his heart and soul into every action… improving every time until no one could deny him.

Even though he was heartbroken, James was living his dream. 

The dream of a superstar…

I decided to not interrupt him, stepping away.

Yeah, he was probably going to 'bag' a goddess or something like that…

Though, I was giving him a piece of my mind tomorrow whether he liked it or not.

~

Unsurprisingly, Dennis got into a heated fight with a god. He and Ares seemed to have the same passions. 

Dennis' strength was something else… he had fought the Titan Atlas and now he was matching the Greek God of War. 

It felt like the longer he fought, the stronger he became. 

I mean, I knew he was strong. He had never lost a fight in school (not even close, he had beaten entire gangs on his own). But not like the God of War strong…

Well, he was having his fun. I decided not to interrupt him either.

In the end, it looked like all my friends were doing their own thing. Even so, I didn't feel alone. I just had to find my passions in this place… Olympus had to have something that interested me. 

I had stumbled upon a marble palace mixed with green veins and branches in my mini adventure…

I went inside and lost my breath at the beauty of the garden within.

It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. I just froze for what felt like an hour, admiring every blade of grass, flower petal and tree. I was stuck in a dream that I didn't feel like leaving.

Everything… was so perfect.

Even more strangely, I felt a sense of home. Like I had always belonged here. It gave me the same feeling as when I would visit my grandfather's farm after a long while.

After I shook myself awake, I started walking deeper in and admiring the paradise properly. The deeper I went, the more beautiful the garden seemed. 

Then… I saw a wilted flower standing out amongst the crowd.

I kneeled down, touching its lowered petals. They had withered to the extent that they were crunchy and a greyish-brown. The slightest push would shatter them. 

I wanted it to rise again…

To stand equal to the rest.

My power of healing… I decided to use it.

A green aura emitted from my hands, eventually spreading over the wilted flower. 

Its colour began to slowly change as the flower transformed. 

It raised its head high, rising even higher than those around it. The resulting flower was completely different from the one that had wilted.

It kept growing and growing… I wasn't too sure if it was a good idea to keep at it. Nonetheless, I enjoyed seeing it grow.

It was an emerald-coloured rose with a few yellow petals that stood out in a beautiful pattern. 

Unlike normal roses, it didn't have thorns and every part of it was soft to the touch. Its size… 

Well, it was longer than my arm.

"What an impressive power you have."

I heard a female godly voice resound behind me and instantly jumped. I knew I was someplace I wasn't meant to be…

"I… am sorry for trespassing." I turned around right away, lowering my head. "Something about this place just drew me in and then I saw this wilted flower…"

She was one of the twelve major gods and looked like the most pleasant to talk to out of them all… generally, at least. She had voted to kill my friend and that remained floating in the back of my mind. 

"You have a soothing voice, one that carries an infectious tone of happiness that impacts those who hear it." She remarked, having a good look at me. "A seemingly innocent power, perhaps the most of all your friends. But… if you can avoid conflict through words, would you need to fight?"

"Well, it's my hope not to fight at all." I replied, realising that she didn't mind my presence.

She smiled, nodding.

"Many who pass by would not even look at the fallen flower, much less have a desire to restore it. They are quick to glance away and move on. This rose… seems to resemble the purest shape of your heart." 

She stated, stepping closer and picking the flower from the ground with just the slightest touch. 

She raised the flower, taking a deep breath and inhaling the smell. 

"How strange… this smell reminds me of someone." She glanced at me. "A rose is the shape of love, green resembles nature, care, nurture and patience. The lack of thorns and generally soft texture shows that you wish to heal rather than to harm, even at your own expense. You wish only the best for the people and things around you."

… That flower resembled me that well?

"What about the yellow petals?" I asked.

"The colour of confidence, success and a positive outlook on life. You are a pillar of kindness… a natural-born leader that inspires others and guides them to their happiness." 

It sounded like some aura reading thing… but, I'd be lying if I said she was wrong in any way except the natural-born leader part… 

I wouldn't quite call myself that, really. James and Dennis are closer to leaders than I am. I lack that… assertiveness that they have.

Sometimes… I'm too much of a pushover.

"Well… thanks for the reading." I didn't know quite what to say, smiling slightly. "It almost sounds like you know me better than I do."

"It is often the case that mortals do not fully understand themselves." She replied, nodding. "It is not unusual to be young and be blind to your true self. It takes time for a flower to fully bloom, after all… and the finest take most of all."

She observed the flower rather keenly, turning back to me. She seemed… favourable(?) towards me.

"It is unfortunate that you have befriended that son of Hades. A scoundrel, that god is… and all the descendents that come from him tend to be much the same."

"... I don't know much about Hades or all his other children but Rokas isn't anything like that. He's honest, shy and rarely ever gets in fights. When he does, it's to defend himself and protect others. I mean… he's just a guy that wants to keep to himself. He wouldn't go out of his way to hurt anyone."

"Shy children are the hardest to understand of all… for they tend to hide themselves under their shells. There is an inherent darkness that comes with being a child of Hades, a darkness that your friend will likely have hidden from you. That is why I initially voted to destroy him."

"Even if the 'darkness' you're talking about is inherent, I believe that he is more than strong enough to fight and conquer it. Even if he isn't, I'll be there for him. There's no way he'd ever become the type of person to destroy Olympus."

Unless… you all turned against him for an unjust reason. Then, like before, I'd stand beside him.

"You have a strong sense of faith, both in your religion and those around you." She remarked, managing a smile. "I'm almost convinced, child. What is your name?"

"Harry Shepherd." I replied.

"... Harry Shepherd… What a fitting name." She stated, nodding. "I am Demeter, Goddess of the Seasons, Agriculture and Fertility."

"So… you're sorta like mother nature?" I questioned. Admittedly, my knowledge in Greek Myths was just about as good as Dennis' (by that I mean non-existent, sorry Dennis).

"Well… Gaia is more fitting of that title for she truly is mother of all. However, among the Olympians, it would suit me best." 

"I see… so this massive, beautiful, garden is yours?" I glanced around a little. Yeah, I wasn't telling any lies. It was still the most beautiful place I had ever seen.

"Yes… I am its creator and gardener." She nodded, sighing. "Unfortunately, the beautiful flowers here require much care and patience. Sometimes I forget myself… and some of them wilt. Though, part of it may have been my sour and bitter mood earlier."

"Something to do with Hades and Rokas?" I presumed.

"The presence of Hades… Yes, that is one reason to feel bitter. That is the scoundrel who kidnapped my most precious daughter Persephone and tricked her into loving him. Now she spends half the year with him… away from me. Worst of all, he has the nerve to lay with other women when she isn't looking."

…Well, considering there's a camp of Demi-gods, the gods and goddesses have to be active. 

I don't think Greek Gods have the same idea of faithfulness and chastity that normal people have (even then, most people aren't even chaste).

"I mean, you Gods would have to be pretty old, right?" I raised an eyebrow. "I don't think you can trick someone into loving you for that long. Besides that, I'm more than willing to fix any wilted flower that I can so you wouldn't have to worry about it. That is… if you don't mind."

"Oh… you would?" Her warm brown eyes lit up. "Well, I would not mind that at all."

"Neither would I… I mean, it's more of an excuse to stay here longer, to be honest." I chuckled. "It really is like a paradise to me."

"You have no need to feel unwelcome, child. Consider this as much your garden as it is mine." 

"... Really?"

"Yes, of course."

Well, I didn't waste much time and practised my hobby as a gardener. Whenever I came to visit my grandfather's farm, I'd help with what I could too… it felt almost the same when it came to Demeter's garden. 

Honestly, I didn't really consider it work. I loved helping nature grow and watching it change with time. 

I also loved all the types of delicious things that came from it. 

Nothing hits different than 100% natural vegetables and fruits straight from the farm. Ironically, I was also good with animals… especially sheep. They never gave me any trouble (guess you could say I live up to my surname).

I lost track of time in the vast garden as I was diligent on my quest of tending to every inch of land and making sure it was perfect.

"Such great attention to detail… you are quite the perfectionist, Harry." Demeter remarked, chuckling. "My garden is practically glistening."

"It was a pleasure to help you tend to this wonderful garden." I smiled, nodding. "But… I think it's about time I go outside and see what my friends are up to."

"... That is unfortunate. I did enjoy your stay, despite its short length."

She condensed the rose I transformed and turned it into a brooch pin, handing it over to me.

"Have this as a farewell gift, Harry Shepherd."

I nodded, smiling. "Thank you."

"I will be watching you from above… may you find great success and happiness in your path, the same that you bless others with."

~

James was still imitating Michael Jackson, and Dennis was off somewhere fighting Ares for the hundredth time (those two didn't seem to have any concept of getting tired),

And Rokas… he was the hardest of all to find. In the end, I found him reading a book in the Olympian library. 

He had headphones on, probably blocking out all the other noise.

It was almost like in school… except we were in Olympus. I guess Rokas was never the type of guy to party, kind of like me. 

It was hard to believe that he had any sort of 'darkness'...

Truthfully, he was the one that I understood least in our friend group. It was hard to know the real Rokas… James and Dennis are so outward you'd figure them out pretty much on the first meeting. 

But, Rokas… it's hard to make him open up. Since he prefers to be alone, he doesn't talk much in a group and avoids one-to-one conversations.

Even when he's alone… he doesn't look lonely. Does that make sense? He looks perfectly fine being alone. It doesn't seem to affect him at all.

That's the thing… he looks like that. But what's beyond that? 

Maybe he does feel left out while James is having his concert, Dennis is fighting Ares and I was away gardening. Equally, he might not be.

I decided to sit down next to him and he noticed me immediately, taking off his headphones.

"So… what are you reading?" I asked.

"Oh, just some Greek myths." Rokas replied, grinning slightly. "This place has a lot of crazy stuff that you wouldn't find in our school library. Like… uhh, I've been reading about this one time between Poseidon and Demeter. I won't lie, it's a bit mad."

"This one time… between Poseidon and Demeter?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Greek Gods are mad freaky." Rokas remarked, scratching his hair. He looked a bit embarrassed.

James did say that he and Rokas are very much alike…

"... On second thought, I don't think I want to know." I replied, smiling slightly. 

"I don't think you'd want to, either." Rokas chuckled before glancing back at the book. "It's weird reading this stuff… especially when it comes to Hades. Like, that's my dad. These stories are real… they happened. I could meet Hercules if I really wanted to. I'm a demi-god - like those heroes from the myths I've read. It's… all… a bit surreal."

"Yeah… it's a lot to take in for me, too." I nodded, taking a deep breath. "Finding out that all different types of gods exist… and then realising that my God is somewhere here too."

"He is?"

"I believe so. Athena suggested that it was possible. I know for a fact that Roman gods exist, though… and apparently my mom is one of them."

"Huh… Roman. Greeks and Roman Gods are very alike. Well, the Roman ones are based on the Greek ones so that isn't too surprising. But this means that other pantheons could also exist… like Norse, Egyptian, maybe even Lithuanian..." Rokas stated, his blue eyes lighting up. "Man… the world is so much more amazing than I thought it was."

"Yeah…" I nodded. "I feel the same way. Honestly, I want to go on a pilgrimage around the world when I have the money. All the important places of faith. Maybe… I'll see Him. God, I mean."

I loved the idea of travelling the world… beyond just faith alone. So many different cultures, people, places… I knew the world was waaay bigger than the places I've been to. 

Freedom... I loved the idea of being able to go anywhere the wind took me. 

"You mean like the Vatican?" Rokas raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah… Well, I might not go everywhere at once. But, by the end of my life, I hope that I will have seen it all."

"I'm in." Rokas smiled, nodding. "I also want to fly around the world and see all types of places. When it comes to Italy, I'd start with Venice… have a little row and maybe participate in that festival where they wear those fancy clothes and masks. I forgot what it's called… but I know it happens once a year."

Rokas seemed more sure of himself recently. Ever since the Atlas incident, more precisely. It was nice to see… and talk to him on more even terms. 

I didn't feel like I was making him uncomfortable by talking too much.

"I thought you hated parties." I smiled.

"... Maybe, by then… I'd, you know, have a girlfriend to celebrate it with." Rokas blushed slightly, looking down. "Maybe I'd like partying by then."

"... You have someone in mind?" I asked, curious. Maybe it was a bit much.

"Uh… no, not really." He glanced away.

I felt like he was lying. Though, I didn't blame him for it. Love was a sensitive subject.

I had a strange suspicion that James was right…

"I hope you find someone that makes you happy and stays true to you." I looked into his eyes. "But… it isn't going to come to you handed onto a golden platter, Rokas. You have to work for love. In a way, you have to fight for it. You can't be shy all the time and avoid whoever it is you like."

"How are they supposed to like you if you… well, hide yourself from them."

"I know… I know." Rokas sighed, taking a deep breath. "It's hard. Usually I'm scared of making mistakes… leading to the wrong impression. Honestly, I don't think I should try to chase it until I'm sure that I'm ready."

"... What do you mean by that?" I asked, blinking with confusion. 

"Well, I… I'm not fit. I don't take care of myself very well." Rokas admitted, lowering his gaze. "I fall into bad habits a lot. I mean… if I had a daughter, I wouldn't want her to get with a guy like me. Honestly."

"So, you don't think you have a chance because you're a bit on the heavier side? Come on, Rocky. You're too harsh on yourself. I'm sure if it's the right person, they'd like you despite your flaws." I reassured him, though he didn't seem too affected.

"It's a lot of other things… but… when I look at our group, I can't help but notice how much I stand out. And not in a good way, either. Dennis is a physical monster and probably will be some kind of world-class fighter, you're the head boy of our school and amazing at anything you pick up. Everyone likes you. James is probably the sickest striker in the world at his age and the 'King' that everyone admires. Me? I suck at football and every other sport. I'm like some sort of an invisible shadow that no one sees. Sometimes I… feel like a loser. Especially when I compare myself to you three."

"... Don't say that." I shook my head. "You're not."

"James is right, I… am always wasting away what I could be. All my potential is constantly going to the bin because of me and my laziness. Me and all my stupid fears. Recent events have really opened my eyes, you see…"

  Rokas raised his gaze, slowly, as he managed a smile. His blue eyes flashed a strange midnight purple,

"I am going to change for the better this time, for real. No more excuses. I'm going to get on the right track and never look back again. I… am going to strive for greatness. I'm going to seek the best version of myself."

Strive for Greatness… for a moment, I thought I was looking at James. Someone who expects only the best from himself and nothing less.

"I see…" I smiled, nodding. "It's easy to say things, though. Are you sure that you'll do as you say?"

"... If I don't, I'm not Rokas Ulanovas. Next year, I'm going to be WHAM as fuck."

That resolve… determination. Rokas wasn't going to look the same next year, I was almost sure of it.

"Wham?" I chuckled.

"Whammer than Dennis, watch me. These muscles are about to be popping out." Rokas chuckled, shaking his head. "I mean… really, I just want to be fit and healthy. I don't think I'm built to be like Dennis but aiming for it wouldn't hurt."

"Well… if you get lazy, I'll just tell James and Dennis." I chuckled. "We'll get you right back on track."

"..." Rokas smiled. "Yeah… I know. I'm counting on you guys to slap some sense into me when I feel like going back to old habits."

"I'm sure Dennis would love to."

"Oh, he'd be the first to beat me up." Rokas chuckled.

Evidently, I felt closer to Rokas than ever before. I'm pretty sure it was the longest conversation I've ever had with him as it went on and on. Eventually, I recognised that his social battery had gone down and left. 

Well, that would be the last time I would talk to him for a good while…

~

After the Olympian Party.

Apollo took James and I to some weird place that was made of old stone that mixed in with the surrounding nature. 

There didn't seem to be a roof and… most disturbingly of all, there was a giant wolf looking down on us. It had to be at least seven foot tall and there were other wolves behind her, staring at us.

They looked like they were hungry.

"Apollo, why do you bring these boys to me? Are these demi-gods that are to-be-trained for Rome?"

"Eh… they're just two fanboys who kinda clung to me as I went around on my sun chariot. You know, the usual. It's not strange at all to be fascinated by a god as perfect as me." Apollo shook his head, chuckling. "I'll leave them to you."

"Fanboys?" James questioned, frowning slightly. "You're a fanboy of me, get that right."

"Heh… good luck."

Apollo teleported away, leaving behind golden particles that dispersed into the air.

"Yes… by your scent I can tell that you are both demi-gods." The largest wolf, which had chocolate red fur and silvery eyes, nodded. "I can tell that you are both confident in your abilities… Do you have any past experience?"

"Well, we fought some harpies and then duked it out with Atlas. Is that the usual here?" James questioned, grinning slightly.

"Ah… so you say that you have fought a Titan?" The wolf remarked, rising from its sitting position. "Then you should be quite ready for my training."

"Training?" James questioned, raising an eyebrow. "Can't we go straight to Camp Jupiter?"

"No… you must first be conditioned and prepared to undertake the duties of a legionnaire."

"We… don't really have the time to be playing around." James countered. "You know, mans got school in like two weeks. Less than that, even."

"James…." I raised an eyebrow. "I don't think that this wolf would teach us anything unnecessary-"

"School?" The wolf scoffed. "Are you students or heroes? Ordinary mortals or demi-gods? Which takes precedence… your skills to survive and conquer any trials that come along or… what is it that they teach you in your schools? No matter, it could not be nearly as important as this!"

"Do you wish to be the victim of a monster that you could have overwise slain? You are demi-gods, your lives were never fated to be ordinary. The sooner you come to the realisation and admit to the truth, the better."

"..." James' frown lowered as he kept silent. "Alright then. Show us these survival skills that we need."

Well, I couldn't really blame him for feeling overqualified. He had fought a multitude of monsters and beaten them. He even contributed to the win over Atlas. 

"Sarcasm… heh, I will teach you some discipline before you leave the Wolf House."

0