Chapter 1
66 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Niamh reached across the table, stealing a fry from Daya's plate. "Wanna crash Caleb Andrews' party tonight?" She asked mid-crunch.

Caleb Andrews was a sophomore studying Computer Science. He was pretty laid-back, and his parties were never wild or crazy, though they did have alcohol… amongst other things.

Daya protected her plate with her arms, "Can you not touch my food? I don't know where your hands have been."

Niamh dusted off the excess salt on her fingers, giving Daya a flirty look. "But I do know where they are going to be. All over you, of course."

Feeling heat rush to her cheeks, Daya just waved her off, addressing her question. "We can't attend a party we weren't invited to. Besides, I don't do alcohol."

"But you can do me, yeah?"

"Niamh!"

"Fine, fine. That's why I said 'crash'. We don't need to be invited to have a good time." Niamh leaned back in her seat, assessing Daya.

"I don't have anything to wear," she murmured in defeat.

Niamh gave her an incredulous look. "You're joking, right? You bought that black dress just last week, and don't get me started on your wardrobe. Plus, your sister-"

"Okay, okay," Daya cut her off, "Maybe I do have something to wear, but what about-"

It was Niamh's turn to cut her off.

"Protection?" She asked, flexing her toned arms. "There's a reason I play football and work out, you know?"

There was no winning here. Niamh was going to make Daya attend Caleb's stupid party, whether she liked it or not.

"Fine." Daya gave in at last, eating the last of her fries dejectedly.

"Aww, don't be like that. It's going to be fun, I promise." Niamh smiled brightly, her smile lines and dimples on full display.

The world seemed to stop just then, and Daya chose to use that moment to observe.

Niamh was gorgeous. It was the type of effortless beauty that was a lot to take in.

She had midnight blue dyed hair that Daya had chosen personally at the salon a few weeks ago. The shade really complimented her big almond-coloured eyes. She scratched her nose, which was a little crooked from an injury that had healed wrong years ago, and nervously licked her well-moisturised lips. Daya had made sure of that by making her reapply lip balm every hour.

Daya was unsure about when exactly her feelings for Niamh had started. What she was sure about, though, was that Niamh's flirty attitude was mainly at fault.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Niamh asked, snapping Daya out of her reverie.

"No reason." Daya replied, drinking the last of her strawberry milk. She chewed on the straw, still lost in thought.

"Listen, you don't have to go if you don't want to." Niamh reassured, a bit afraid she had upset her.

"Don't be silly, Caleb's party is the perfect opportunity to let loose. I'm just worried I might outdance you." Daya smirked, setting down her empty cup.

Niamh looked disgustedly at her chewed-up straw, choosing not to comment on it.

"Outdance? You have to be joking. Remember freshers' night?" She teased.

"Ugh, don't remind me." Daya groaned, shrinking into her seat and trying to hide behind her jacket.

Freshers' night had been a fever dream. She had spent most of the night drunk, sweaty, and dancing so hard, she had vomited on the DJ.

Niamh laughed at her embarrassed look, finding it cute.

"Then it's settled, I'd pick you up at eight."

Just then, a notification sound rang out.

Daya dug into her pockets and fished out her phone.

It was a text from a group member concerning a group assignment they were working on.

Daya groaned, texting back.

"Damn it. Can you drop me off at the campus radio station? Seems like I have an impromptu recording."

"Sure thing. Is everything alright, though? It's just past three, besides, I thought your only job was to write the script?" Niamh asked, handing Daya her tote bag as she got up.

"I thought so too. Apparently, the members in charge of recording the magazine have more 'important' things to do." Daya sighed in frustration, swinging the bag onto her shoulders.

Their Radio and TV production lecturer had divided them into groups of 5 to produce a radio magazine together. Daya had been assigned as the group leader, and each member was to choose between writing the script, recording, and editing. She had volunteered to write the script while the other members had chosen to do the rest.

She had thought the two to record would have done so already; unfortunately, she had thought wrong.

Niamh didn't forget to leave some cash on the table to cover their bill before they left the restaurant.

"Bye, Aunt Meimei!" She greeted the elderly lady at the counter.

"Oh, come again, dear." Aunt Meimei replied, giving her a huge smile. She had nearly perfect teeth and shiny grey hair. Niamh had always wondered how she had managed to look that good.

Niamh opened the creaky doors for Daya, stepping out into the chilly fall air of Celestia Bay.

Their little town nestled in the embrace of rustic buildings, quaint shops, and family-owned businesses, just like that of Aunt Meimei.

Packed close to the entrance was Niamh's BMW X3 she had gotten from one of her brothers as a birthday present the year before.

It was no exaggeration to say that Niamh's family was rich. The kind that had been passed down from generations before them. Daya had always wondered why Niamh's parents had chosen to settle in Celestia Bay of all places.

Daya opened the passenger door and got in, buckling her seatbelt obediently.

Niamh had already gone around the car, getting into the driver's seat with a pout.

"You didn't let me open the door for you," she whined, starting the engine. She gave Daya a look, feigning hurt.

Daya couldn't help but laugh, adjusting her dishevelled knotless braids.

"There's always next time, silly."

Niamh sighed, concentrating on driving. She often drove in silence, her previous flirty nature gone in the autumn wind.

Daya reached for the sun visor, checking her appearance in the little mirror by the side.

She noticed her chapped lips and rummaged in her tote bag for some lip gloss, only for her search to come up empty.

"You can check in the pigeon hole." Niamh said, still looking straight ahead.

Daya was sceptical. She opened it to check as instructed, clearly unconvinced. There was no way Niamh would have stocked up on-

To her utter surprise, half of the compartment was filled with all sorts of lip products. From lip balms to tints, to oils, they were all there.

Daya dug in, bringing one up to eye level for close inspection. These were all her favourite brands!

"You didn't."

"I try." Niamh replied with a smirk, tapping the steering wheel.

"I won't even ask why, but thank you."

She really was grateful. She had never really had someone care about her enough to get her the things she liked, even though Niamh did go overboard sometimes.

"You're welcome, D. Even though it's the least I could do in return for you keeping my lips kissable." Niamh made kissing motions with her lips, making Daya burst into laughter.

"Your lips were horribly chapped, Eve. And why did you keep biting on them till they bled?"

"Maybe they tasted good. Know what would taste even better? Yours."

Daya froze, speechless.

"You're so gross." She said after a moment of silence, hitting Niamh's arm jokingly.

She turned to the little mirror on the sun visor, looking closely at her appearance.

She was breaking out again, and the blackheads on her nose were so annoying, she had to resist squeezing them with her fingers. Her braids were looking a little rough at the edges, but she was definitely going to use some hair wax and edge control to tame those wild edges and leave her braids in for a few more weeks.

She opened a clear gloss, her simple floral-patterned gown didn't let her experiment with the tints.

She rubbed the applicator across her lips until she had a glossy finish.

Smacking her lips together in satisfaction, she put the gloss into her tote bag.

Just in time, Niamh pulled into the campus parking lot.

"Need me to pick you up?" Niamh asked, turning to face her.

"Nah, you don't need to." Daya smoothed out the creases on her denim jacket and dress.

It didn't make sense for Niamh to drop her off, pick her up, drop her home, then pick her up again for the party.

"Sure? I guess I'll just go practice on the field then."

The field where Niamh practised football wasn't too far from campus, still, Daya wouldn't make her, sweaty and tired from practice, pick her up.

"Call me when you're done, text me when you get home and-"

"Share my location at all times. Yes, mom, I know." Daya rolled her eyes.

Niamh was too overprotective sometimes.

"Can I leave now?"

Niamh unlocked the doors, giving Daya a final look.

"Take care of yourself."

If one didn't know any better, they would think they were parting ways, never to see each other again.

"I'll be fine, I promise." Daya squeezed her arm reassuringly.

With a smile, she left the car and shut the door.

It wasn't until Niamh had pulled out of the parking lot and become a dot in the distance that she let out the breath she didn't know she had been holding.

Squeezing the straps of her tote bag, she began her march to the radio station.

****

A/N: Release schedule should be 1 chapter weekly/biweekly.

Please let me know what you think. Also, would you mind if details about college assignments and projects are given? I'd try to balance that and the romance if I can.

Stay hydrated❤️

2