Chapter 2
87 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: I know nothing about football, lol

****

Niamh steered her BMW X3 into the parking lot near the field, the engine purring to a halt. She grabbed her duffel bag from the backseat, adjusting the worn peeling strap on her shoulders as she stepped out.

With a beep, her car locked, but she double pressed the button on her keys to make sure.

Up ahead she could see other players on the field, laughing and trying to shove each other. She was sure they were concentrating more on shoving each other to the ground than on the ball.

As she got closer, the louder the voices of players got. There was the occasional sound of a foot hitting the ball, grass rustling beneath their feet as they ran.

One of the players noticed her approaching and shouted in greeting, "Look who decided to show up!"

It was none other than Sofia Fitch. She was burly, her build a result of consistent visits to the gym. She had her black hair in a tight bun and her jersey was soaked with sweat, with her white shorts stained with dirt.

Contrary to her intimidating appearance, she was a cuddly teddy bear.

The other players shifted their attention from the ongoing match to the now shy Niamh.

Feeling 11 pairs of eyes on her, she suddenly felt self-conscious. She fiddled with the edge of her tank top, hoping to bypass them and head straight to the changing room.

"In the flesh!" One person exclaimed, blocking her way. 

"Thought you were too busy playing the other field, if you know what I mean." Another commented with a wiggle of their eyebrows. 

They crowded around her like they hadn't seen her in months, when it had only been 3 weeks.

"Can you back up, you all reek!" Naimh complained, waving her arms in front of her.

Sofia reached out, ruffling her hair and then putting her into a headlock.

All of Niamh's self-defence classes were completely useless at that moment. It felt like Sofia was an immovable tank, and she could only relax into her hold. Afterall, it didn't hurt and she knew Sofia won't go too far.

But having a sweat-soaked jersey in her face wasn't very pleasant. 

"That's what you get for ditching us!" Sofia said, giving her one last squeeze before letting her go.

Despite her words, she still had a huge grin on her face, she had obviously missed her.

In a way… Niamh had missed them too.

Niamh stepped into the cramped changing room, dropping her duffel bag onto the middle bench with a thump. The changing room had seen better days, with peeling paint, chipped tiles and dented metal lockers.

The former mayor had really loved football and had the field built so locals could play casually. That's what Niamh had heard anyway.

She pulled her tank top over her head, revealing her beige sports bra underneath. It was either sports bras or bralettes, she didn't have any boobs to support so she found regular bras uncomfortable.

She kicked off her baggy jeans and sandals, not forgetting to wrap her sandals in a spare bag before tossing it into her duffel bag with her folded jeans and tank top.

She stood alone in the changing room, in her sports bra and grey boxer briefs. 

She reached for her jersey in her duffel bag, putting it on.

Caressing the smooth material, she could still smell the faint scent of fabric softener, which she found oddly comforting. 

She quickly put on her shorts over her briefs, bending down to tie the laces of her football boots.

She zipped up her duffel, tossed it into a metal locker and locked it.

Before she left, she took a quick look at her reflection in the cracked mirror. Her jersey was ash coloured with her chosen number '08' above her right boob. She had her name 'Niamh' at the back with her number as well.

Everyone who came to practise here were all playing casually, so there were no official positions or numbers. 

She left then, taking a deep breath of the fresh autumn air.

She wasn't able to take her breath in peace as her fellow players called for her.

"Give me a minute! I'll just take a quick lap around!" 

****

Luckily for Sofia, whose team was lacking a member, Niamh came right in time.

There were currently 11 people on the field. 2 goalkeepers, 5 and 4 players on both sides. With Niamh added to Sofia's team, they evened out the numbers.

After surviving a tackle, a member from the opposing team teased Niamh's pass, "Gosh Niamh, you kick like a girl!" 

Niamh laughed, unfazed. "Hating like a man, I see," She retorted. "Just because you don't have a d*** doesn't mean you have to act like one!"

It was Carly Simon, a student at the University of Celestia Bay. They had a couple of classes together and mostly ever spoke on the field.

Carly, still jogging, put her hand to her chest in mock hurt, "You wound me, my friend."

"Damn it!"

"Goalllll!"

Simultaneous cheers rang out. Sofia came running towards Niamh, right hand raised for a high five.

Their palms met, Niamh's stinging at the contact.

"You're our lucky charm, Niamh. We won!"

The final score was in their favour, 3-2. 

Twins Gina and Tina, were arguing. Gina was on their team while Tina was on the opposing team.

"Don't be a sore loser, Tina. We won, fair and square!" 

"I'm pretty sure Viv let her girlfriend score on purpose."

The accused goalkeeper stopped fiddling with her gloves, slanting Tina a glare. 

"I did score her," Yvonne, her girlfriend, said with a smile, resting her elbow on Viv's shoulders.

Tina rolled her eyes, "Whatever."

She stormed off towards the changing room, leaving the rest of them on the field.

Gina shook her head at her twin's antics. "She always does this. Nice game as always."

After clapping the backs of some players and exchanging a few words, she headed towards the changing room as well.

Sofia whistled just then, trying to get the attention of the remaining eight players.

Her targets were obviously Viv and Yvonne who were passionately making out.

They separated at the whistle, with Viv having her arm around Yvonne's shoulders.

Niamh stared enviously at them, if only…

"I got some homemade popsicles, if you want some, feel free to join me by the bleachers." Sofia announced.

Sofia, being in her mid twenties, had her own store where she sold all sorts of frozen treats, from popsicles to snow cones, all year round. She often brought treats for them.

It seemed everyone wanted some as they all crowded round the small cooler, trying to pick out their favourite flavours.

Niamh lay down on the grass, too tired to fight over popsicles. She drowned out the sounds of their bickering, closing her eyes. She tried to calm her racing heart by taking slow deep breaths.

The field was large and having such a small number of players made running across the field a hell of a workout. Most of them didn’t mind it though, taking it as hardcore exercise.

A figure approached her, leaning down to meet her face.

"Here." The figure said, handing her a popsicle.

Niamh opened her eyes, her vision blocked by a strawberry popsicle in her face. She sat up, grabbing the stick.

"Thanks."

The figure sat beside her, as if waiting to watch her take a bite.

"Khai, you know you don't have to watch me eat, right?"

Khai laughed, supporting her weight with her outstretched arms behind her. "But I love watching you eat."

Khai was Aunt Meimei's granddaughter who came to help her out from time to time. She often spent time on the field or at Aunt Meimei's place.

Niamh ignored her, taking a bite of the melting popsicle. It melted in her mouth, the strawberry flavour exploding in her mouth. It was so refreshing, she couldn't help but take another bite.

"You're awfully silent. You're much livelier around… what's her name?" Sofia joined them on the grass, munching on a vanilla popsicle.

"You mean Daya? That's because she's smitten!" Viv said before taking a bite from the popsicle Yvonne brought to her mouth.

"And if I am?" Niamh scowled, biting her popsicle angrily.

"She's a Catholic babe, that sort of says it all." Yvonne said sympathetically.

"What's that got to do with anything?" Khai asked, picking at the grass.

"Her dad's a missionary." Sofia said to Khai.

"Shut up! No way."

"Yup! The goes to Africa to spread the gospel in some remote village kind of missionary." Added Viv.

"What?" Khai burst into laughter, clearly in disbelief.

Noticing their expressions, Khai realised they weren’t joking.

“I don’t understand why girls in their twenties are gossiping like high schoolers.” Niamh complained, unhappy with where the conversation was headed.

“First off all, Yvonne and I are 20, just like you, we are still young. Besides, no one is too old to gossip.” Viv was quick to defend herself.

“Just be careful, we don’t want you to get hurt.” Yvonne spoke with concern.

There was a chorus of agreements.

They didn’t understand. She and Daya were just friends, no matter how she felt about her, that was never going to change.

It hit Niamh then. 

“Sh*t! What time is it?”

“It’s past 7, why?” Khai replied after a quick glance at her smartwatch.

“I have to get home.” Niamh hastily got up, wiping her butt with her hands. She tossed the wooden popsicle stick into the now empty cooler.

“Thanks for the treat Sofia. I’ll see you all next time.”

“Bye Niamh. Don’t disappear on us again!”  

Niamh was too busy rushing to the changing room to notice the odd look Khai gave her.

****

A/N: Please let me know what you think and as always, thanks for reading!

2