Chapter 1: Lex Lindblum
211 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a day of reckoning when the sky turned gold. Clouds of dust clotted the sky and turned into a thunderstorm. The only difference was there was no rain.

The 'raindrops' were lightning bolts.

Each one struck communication towers and houses. Hitting citizens point blank.

It was a disaster…

A magic phenomenon that was no worse than a natural calamity. Ruthlessly killing.

Taking away the lives of millions of people as a result. Deanfold City was flattened. There was no hope. Even in the far future, the city could never recover.

Those lost could never return back to life.

When the sandy thunderstorm passed and those in underground bunkers returned up, they were greeted with a fraction of the dead turning into fiends.

An electrical surge tainted their bodies and mutated them. Corrupting them.

Things were never the same.

…..

….

..

.

Earlier that same day, Lex jolted out of his bed with rumbling heavy breathing.

His eyes were blurry.

It took some time before he touched the simple earring he wore to calm down.

Trying to regain his bearings.

Thoughts about how he had woken up and if he was late to school occurred.

Making him get into his own groove.

'Yeah, it was a dream. It means nothing to me.' Lex tried to tell himself in thoughts.

He went to the bathroom and brushed his teeth. The mirror reflecting his beauty.

There was a regular handsome face with brown hair and eyes. He retained the ordinary features of his father, and the artistic quality of his mother.

Truly a blessed child.

However, when he looked in the mirror himself, all he saw was another's face.

Someone who similarly had brown hair and eyes, but looked different from him.

Those eyes holding indifference.

Once, that guy was a rival of his that fought him out of spite, but after he'd awakened the wrong Job Class, that rival of his became nothing more than a bully.

The boy reflected in the mirror spoke up:

"You are a stain. The only wannabe Hero among real ones. I don't know why you were even chosen." Those words back then had become the scars of now.

He remembered back to the assessment middle school that could have raised his rank to 'Cadet Captain'. Instead of a regular Cadet Rank student like now.

All his dreams were shattered.

His hopes fading in rain.

Lex worked hard to overcome the weakness he had been born with.

Being ordinary.

Others had special bloodlines that improved their base strength like the Raymond Family. In fact, any of the Five Families running corporations had this.

Some kind of special traits.

He, on the other hand, was born as a human with absolutely no benefits.

Others without Innate Gifts had the chance to learn 'Combat Gifts'. Abilities a bit less random and more consistent in nature. They had limitless potential.

Their choices could vary greatly.

Unlike him.

Lex had no choice but to inherit all of his father's techniques. All without any way of bringing them beyond the level his father mastered them. 

He remembered that dreadful day.

The laughs of his fellow Cadets as he was mocked. Gaining too much unwanted attention because of his Class. The unique occurrence since the Graces started handing out 'Jobs' to heroes.

Everyone believed that the 'Hero' Class had some hidden potential. He'd brought himself to the limits throughout the years to test that theory. However, it was a lie.

He had no hidden potential.

That fact resulted in the look he saw in the mirror. The indifference of his allies.

Lex took a deep breath while closing his eyes. When they were opened, the ghost of his own mind went away. Choosing not to haunt him when he distracted himself.

Going about his routine.

Adam went downstairs and ate.

"Cutie, your face is pale." Lex's mother invaded his personal space jokingly.

Pinching his tanned cheeks.

The different types of Asian heritages he inherited from his parents… had blended.

Making the mother smitten looking at that face proving her love for her husband.

He was their pride.

"Mom, can you stop that? I'm not a kid anymore." Lex found it embarrassing.

"You can say that when you buy a house and bring home a wife. Don't become a couch potato like your father." Lex turned his head and looked to the living room.

He saw the messy hair of his father laying on the couch. Munching on potato chips.

His eyes locked onto a Shaolin Soccer match. Rooting for his favourite team.

"Come on! I bet money on you!"

…Or not.

From the looks of it, his father was just betting coins to try and gamble success.

"Dad…!" Lex finally spoke out.

He couldn't take it anymore. Seeing how his father descended into his current state. He left his finished plate, then went closer to the television and living room.

When he got there, his father became angry. Someone turned off the TV.

"Hey…! I was watching that-" At first, the father looked at his 'disobedient child'.

Only to see his wife also standing there.

The TV remote firmly in her hand.

"Go on. I'm listening." Lex's mother spoke disappointedly at her husband.

Those blue eyes made him feel ashamed of himself. Lex's father straighted up.

"I'll go role hunting again. I really am doing it. Don't worry. I just need a breakthrough." To these untrustworthy words, the listener didn't speak anything.

Lex's mother watched her husband leave after slapping a coat on from the rack.

Understanding and letting him breathe.

"Why not say anything?" The only one who didn't understand was her child.

Lex found their relationship odd.

There was no way his father was looking for a role like that. He was too informal.

Not even shaving his beard.

"He is still finding himself. It's a wife's duty to wait until he's ready." There was a boundless patience in his mother's words towards his father. It felt too pure.

"Is this a Japanese thing?" Lex tilted his head. What kind of thought did she have?

Why trust him so much?

But when he thought deeper, it wasn't like he had any right to say anything.

"…What's wrong?" Seeing her son being depressed these days made her anxious.

Wondering what he was feeling.

She turned him around and looked him in the eyes. Lex struggled to get out.

However, any mother was powerful.

Not letting him avoid this.

Lex reluctantly opened his heart. The feeling he held deep within emerging.

"Dad is this way because of me." This was all because of their inheritance.

He touched his ear again.

This earring was crafted by a Peri. Also known as a benevolent winged spirit.

Known for their beauty.

It was a treasure his mother once gifted his father, but was now his possession.

It was because without it, learning the corrupting martial arts of their family was impossible. Only those who owned this earring could practice their techniques.

A rule his father had created himself.

Even without anyone's pressure, his father was a thoughtful and smart man.

Not taking any unnecessary risks.

If he wanted to, he could forcibly practice the forbidden arts he stole from a ruin.

But he was too responsible.

If not, they would have already been attacked by a 'Dark Muse' in their home.

A monster Lex had vowed to vanquish.

He could only trust that his father would bounce back eventually. Feeling guilt.

"You shouldn't feel like that. Passing on legacies is the job of a parent. If you want to repay him so strongly, then increase your rank." His mother slapped his back.

She left him on his own since he was getting late for school at this point.

Not wanting to hold him for too long.

Lex thought about her words and looked at his hands. Clenching them too tight.

When Lex released them, he was struck with clarity. Getting right back to reality.

In truth, it was a useless dream.

The reason Gifts were so sought after was because they were seeds of potential. To have them meant having the potential to go beyond certain limits.

For him, even though he had an Innate Gift of his own, it was simply useless.

Having no use whatsoever.

In this current state, he had no way of increasing his rank or becoming a 'Hero'.

Not simply the Job Class, but the certification gained by completing his studies. If he didn't go beyond being a Cadet, he'd always be cannon fodder.

Lex enlivened his mood.

There was no use being discouraged so early. He still had to work hard himself.

'I hate to do it.' If he wanted to get revenge on that bully, he had to do it.

This was when Alex walked the streets.

It was a world all about 'Data'. Everyone was using tech on the back of their hand like a smartphone. Accessing the many features that were installed into them.

Holographic projections, connecting via call lines, music, and a whole lot more.

Lex looked behind his hand.

On top of it was a metallic augmentation that had four coloured chips on it.

Able to block the 'Miasma' in the air.

It was a futuristic world of wonder. The heart of Deanfold City and its marvel.

As an ordinary student, Lex had no choice but to ignore all this to get there.

St Martha High School.

It was a different place from the prestigious Academy his bully went to.

'Maybe I am lucky.' Failing that exam meant he didn't have to see him again.

A blessing in disguise.

Everything went on as normal. His life was filled with trials and tribulations.

But he'd overcome them all.

Lex was the only 'Hero' in this world. He may not have wanted it, but he had this.

'I have to be responsible.' Lex thought to himself about wanting to be much more.

His family was still poor. So he needed a higher position if he wanted to take care of them. When he got to there, then his father wouldn't have to look for work.

His dad could then finally have a hobby.

Not being weighed by down by destiny.

'Money…' As always, capitalism was what drove everyone to strive for success.

Regardless if they admitted it or not.

'I need to study hard.' Lex believed that his theoretical knowledge had to be good if he wanted to achieve. Even if not in strength, he could contribute in wisdom.

That's what he thought while attending school and ignoring his classmates.

'They all see me as a funny creature.' He saw many looking from time to time.

Their gazes were uncomfortable.

The only good thing was that they didn't pick on him. Only seeing him as pitiful.

A poor 'Hero' who made a laughingstock of Deanfold City with his lack of power.

That pillar of light had caused heads to turn around the world to look at him.

Only to be disappointed.

What was more tragic?

He avoided the gaze of the boys and girls to turn into the resident nerd at school.

Only participating in the exams.

"Good to have you, sonny. You really do me proud." His homeroom teacher caught him. There was a look of pride in the white-haired man's pale wrinkled face.

"Sir…" Lex saluted towards him.

"At ease. You are truly bringing the school pride with the results you've been showing. I knew you were studious." The middle-aged man gestured him ease up.

"Sir, about what we discussed…"

"That's right. It's time to congratulate you." These words stunned the youth.

"…Really?" His blood was boiling.

"They've agreed to raise you out of being a U Tier Cadet Rank. Congratulations on rising straight to B Tier Cadet Rank." His teacher's words resonated within him.

Lex's hands were shaking.

"Oh… Oh my… I…" The youth found his body started trembling at the thought.

His luck finally changed.

"Be proud of yourself..." The old man patted the young man's shoulder: "…I know you've worked hard to gain 7th place on the national test ranking. You have made the entire St Martha proud."

His words etched deep.

Lex couldn't help tearing up in response to that. Finally, his work had paid off.

Finally…!

'What a strong kid.' The homeroom teacher thought while looking at him.

He'd seen many students over his years as a teacher. Many were stuck in pride.

No one wanted to improve their human aspect anymore. They relied on Gifts.

Those with wisdom type Gifts studied for the sake of the ability. Not themselves.

And those with fighting-related Gifts simply focused on improving their power.

There was never a child like Lex.

An ordinary boy who earned a high rank simply by learning the curriculum.

He was still a Cadet, but his 'Tier' raising meant he would be more sought after.

One day, he may even rise through ranks.

But that was for the far future when he graduated. Not a story for today.

"Hmm?" The old teacher suddenly saw a strange phenomenon happening above.

The sky was turning golden…

.

.

.

.

.

[Lex Lindblum Gallery]

3