9. Unblocking the Circuits 2
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unblocking the Circuits 2

The sun hung high in the sky as we gathered around the guru. Having successfully cleared our chi circuits, we were now faced with the unenviable task of dealing with the aftermath—the black sludge that oozed out of our bodies.

Ren, wincing and with a scowl on his face added, "You know, I always thought I'd meet my greatest nemesis in life, but I never expected it to be a pile of goo I'd have to collect."

'Yeah, I feel you, my man. I feel the same.'

Ying wrinkled her nose in disgust. "Ugh, this stuff smells worse than a garbage dump on a hot summer day."

'Haa, more like a nuclear waste that would kill me with a single sniff. Am I exaggerating? Of course I am. This smell is on a fine line between noxious and barely breathable.'

The guru, with his trademark calmness, reassured us. "Remember, this impurity is a byproduct of your own energy. By sending energy to these impurities, you can purify and refine them. Later, they will be even used to create protective clothing for you."

'Ah like yin for the yang eh? LIke light and ark are both sides of the same coin. But still.....'

I exchanged a glance with my fellow disciples, their faces mirroring disbelief just as mine did. The prospect of wearing clothes made from this noxious substance was hardly appealing but the guru's teachings had instilled in us the belief that his words would eventually be beneficial to us.

We need a bath, all of us do. It's top priority after this.'

With grim determination, we began the laborious process of collecting the black sludge. Each of us had specialized bottles in which we were meant to collect the impurities that we shed from our bodies, and the vile odor that wafted from them threatened to overwhelm our senses.

Gulping down the urge to vomit, I thought about the mess it would create if both puke and the sludge combined. It was motivation enough to swallow my discomfort and press on. The mental training, we had undergone was already proving its worth.

'But this feeling of touching this sludge is just..'

“Guru, could you please explain how this sludge could be useful. Is it like the poison that, when taken in little doses, acts as medicine?”. I asked, my curiosity piqued as to how something that looked like a waste that is pumped out from the factories could be of any help.

The guru's voice, resonated with wisdom as he explained the principles at play. "Consider it akin to the process of carbon diffusion," he elucidated. "Much like carbon atoms migrate from a source into the surface layers of steel, fortifying its strength, these impurities—once refined—will serve as a pivotal component of your future protective clothing."

'Carbon diffusion huh, Of course, I recall the concept from my time in school but I had once again learned it here firsthand from the Guru'.

A constant reminder that even though I initially believed I had arrived in a medieval fantasy world due to the way the gurukul appears and the distance it is from society, the technology here is pretty up there when you consider that people here have access to magic. The quality of knowledge provided to the disciples here is on par with what is offered at those prestigious colleges.

He continued with confidence that mirrored his depth of knowledge. "As you ascend to the ranks of senior-level disciples, each of you shall be bestowed with protective attire woven from precious and exceptionally resilient steel threads. These refined impurities, akin to carbon atoms, nestle themselves among the minute and fine threads and as a result shall enhance the durability while maintaining the flexibility of your garments."

"Furthermore, because these contaminants are leftovers from your own energy, they have an amazing ability to conduct it as well. This quality will increase the potency of your defenses while also enabling a smooth integration with your inherent energy. They will also serve as absorbent layers, masking the life force that all things release, minimizing your visibility to those who wish to do you harm."

"Remember, just as impurities can be purified and transformed, so can your inner weaknesses. Your training here is not only about physical strength but also about the strength of character. The steel thread clothing you will wear as senior disciples is a symbol of your inner fortitude."

Satisfied with the explanation we carried on with our task and painstakingly filled the bottles with the disgusting stuff.

'Reminds me of the time I had to clean the kitchen sink drainage when it was blocked. Phew that was a nightmare even with two sets of gloves. I can still remember the feeling of those rotten foods, the black tissue-like thing from god knows where, and finally the small centipede-like thing that threatened to crawl up my hands.' Shaking my head I decided to put that memory back into the 'Do not ever remember pile'.

Finally, each of us sealed our own bottles, each bottle marked with our own names, and stored it. A sense of accomplishment soon washed over us. We had completed the task though unpleasant and emerged stronger for it.

With the impurities collected and safely stored in a secure location, we knew that we had reached a milestone in our journey. It was time to graduate from being junior-level disciples and ascend to the ranks of the intermediate. This transition came with a slew of benefits—permission to travel beyond the mountains with clearance, the opportunity to earn money through odd jobs, one on one teaching sessions with a senior disciple. Of course, it also came with a set of responsibilities such as preparing food for the other disciples, hunting, patrolling the premises, and protecting the gurukul from monsters.

"With this task completed, you have graduated from being junior-level disciples. You are now ready to enter the intermediate ranks." The guru congratulated us with a serene smile.

Ren, Arya, and I exchanged glances, a mixture of excitement and nervousness in our eyes. We had come a long way from our days of cleaning and basic training, and now, as intermediate disciples, we had a whole new world of challenges and adventures ahead of us.

The guru drew us in to share some last lessons for the day while his words of congratulations were still ringing in our ears. He changed the focus of his lectures to a deeper comprehension of the energy that flowed through the cosmos.

"I am sure you would love to get into a bath right now but do lend me an ear before running off to do that."

"The world is not just a physical realm," the guru began, his voice carrying a sense of reverence. "It is a place where energy is the driving force, where everything, from the smallest pebble to the mightiest mountains, even empty space is composed of energy."

The disciples were intrigued by the notion of energy being the fundamental essence of the world. The Mass energy equivalence of Einstein, I thought in my mind.

The guru continued, "This energy is known as chi, and it flows through the very fabric of existence. It is the life force that powers our bodies, the energy that all creatures create and emit, and it is condensed to create the materials that surround us. As intermediate level disciples it is imperative that you understand this key point."

I nodded, beginning to grasp the profound nature of chi.

'Another name for 'mana' or 'qi' even. And as a raw form of energy, these are the building blocks of reality then.'

"Your training here," the guru explained, "is not only about physical and spiritual strength and discipline but also about harnessing and channeling the chi within you. As you progress, you will learn to control and manipulate this energy, using it to enhance your abilities and tap into the extraordinary."

The guru's eyes seemed to penetrate our very souls as he continued, "Remember our earlier exercise. Chi connects us to all living things, allowing us to feel the emotions and energies of others. It is the source of empathy and understanding, and with it, you can gain insights into the world around you."

As he spoke, the guru's presence seemed to expand, filling the room with a palpable energy. I closed my eyes briefly, trying to sense the flow of chi around me, and I could feel a subtle vibration, a connection to something greater than myself.

"But as you dive more into the energies of the cosmos", the guru said, "Remember not to peer too deeply into the flow, for we are minuscule specks, and the things that are unknown far outweigh the things we know. Cultivate restraint. The line between comprehending and being engulfed by the vast and varied energy of the cosmos is thin."

---

As the lesson came to an end, the disciples dispersed while Ren, Arya, and I stood in a huddle, thinking about our next move scrunching up our noses, and enduring the rancid smell through sheer willpower.

'Yeah, this is far too important and cannot wait.'

"Finally, we get to go beyond these mountains! We have to secure the next hunting assignment now that we can.", I said.

Arya nodded in agreement. "And don't forget about the opportunity to take up some jobs. We can earn money to buy some decent food for a change."

"Absolutely, let's take advantage of this chance and return with a nice haul while the others are running off to take a bath.", Ren added with eagerness.

The food prepared for the disciples is primarily intended to nourish our bodies and spirits, rather than to indulge our taste buds. Truly delectable meals were a rare occurrence on this path of training and discipline. With hearts ablaze and determination clearly visible from our eyes, we sprinted towards the senior disciple doling out duties, determined to secure our hunting gig before our fellow disciples could beat us to the punch.

However, the senior disciple was not so pleased though. His frown, one hand pinching his nose, and furrowed brow clearly showed his displeasure at the smell.

0