Chapter 1. Moonlake City and Aster Darkmoon, the First Villainness
159 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What do you think it’s the most useful skill in Ninefalls?” 

Connor sat in the weird room, wondering whether this was a dream. He laughed and answered. “Instant City Movement.”

“Really?” The person sat and looked at him weirdly. “If you had to start over- you would do it with that?”

Connor didn’t need much prodding to talk about his most recent gaming obsession. He spent the last four years streaming the game, Ninefalls, as his main job. “Yeah. Instant city-to-city movement would save a huge amount of time. Even if I had to start from fresh, I’d totally settle for instant city-to-city movement instead of having to climb up the skill tree again.” 

“I see. Is that your final choice?”

“Yeah!” Connor laughed, wondering why the question seemed so serious.

The person- which Connor suddenly realized, he couldn’t really make out his or her face, continued. “-of all the stories and destinies of Ninefalls, what do you feel was most interesting?”

Connor paused. This was a hard one. He wouldn’t say he was super invested in all the separate storylines and quest chains, but as one of the largest streamers of the game, he did feel a little taken with the tale of the villains and villainesses. “-I think some of the villains and villainess are quite tragic. And I suppose there are quite a few side characters that look like they could have an interesting story to tell, but we never see it beyond just a few preset sentences.”

“Oh. You do not enjoy the main tale of the heroes and heroines? In all of history, the tale of heroes and their great conquests are the ones commonly told over and over again.”

Connor the Streamer laughed. “I guess so, but I suppose I’m a little bit overwhelmed by all those hero stories that- well- they feel a little typical to me.”

“I see.” The person sat quietly, and the streamer didn’t know why, it felt like a lot of time passed. “Would you consider a deeper, expanded look into the tales of their life?”

“Yeah. I suppose. I’d probably like to see if it was possible to have ‘good-endings’, how these villains and villainess could have made different choices in their lives. But I suppose that makes them the ‘good’ guys- so wait, maybe not.” Connor thought aloud. 

The person sat. “I think I get the gist of it.”

Connor nodded. “Great.”

“Do you think there’s a power or mechanic that hasn’t been fully explored in Ninefalls?”

“I mean- I suppose the Sect Building aspect- and perhaps- the marriage and dao companions part? Those parts feel really really basic, really. The combat, adventures, all the different skills and methods, elements and all that feels really well done, but the marriage and sect building mechanics are really really basic. Like- you just marry one partner as your dao companion and that’s it. Like- what about a harem? Building a palace filled with concubines like an ancient emperor? The system also has no real special benefits, no special traveling partner, like- there’s so much more could be done there. Then there’s the Sect Building aspect. This system made for sect building is also really bare. Like you join a sect, or start a sect, and all you do is get disciples and send them on missions. There should be significantly more that can be done.” Connor felt like he made this pitch before. It was one he made in one of his streams, when he reviewed some of the later expansion packs. 

The seemingly faceless person nodded. “And would you be willing to try out a new version of that sort of system?”

Connor laughed. This felt like a dream, and yet, at the same time, not really. He couldn’t quite put his finger on what exactly it was. “I suppose. I’m not a great beta tester though, I’m more of a streamer so I’ll play it for the cool moments and enjoyment- so, that’s the sort of feedback I could give. I really like visiting all the cities and all that, and I suppose if we could take our disciples along, pretend to be old masters, or you know, go on little honeymoon trips with our dao companions, that- that sounds like something fun.”

His explanations were met with a long silence. 

So long that Connor, a young mid twenties man who spent too much time on games after burning out on an official career, actually felt rather awkward. He coughed. “Did- did I say something wrong?”

“-no. It- I suppose some adjustments could be made.”

The young man nodded at the faceless one. 

“Connor Fox.” The person said. “You’ve been very helpful. When you wake up after this, you will find yourself in Ninefalls.”

Connor laughed. Now this felt like a dream. “Alright, sure.”

“Go live a good life. Your time on Earth has ended.”

“-Oh. Okay.” He thought it was just a dream. So this amused him. Connor asked, curious. “So, how’d I die?”

“Exhaustion. You streamed a little too long, a little too much, you blacked out and died.”

“Oh.” Connor paused. It was exactly how he pictured his death. There was something to be said about the lifestyles of streamers, where each one of them put in fifteen to twenty hours of live streaming a day just in order to barely make it. He thought he would’ve lasted a little longer, but if this was a dream, this part made sense. “I see. Then you are-?”

“Well, let’s just call me the Gods of Fleeting Dreams. Live a better life on this changed version of Ninefalls, Connor.”

***

When he woke up, he expected himself to be in his own nice, cozy bed. He wasn’t. 

From the window of his really towering apartment, he glanced at what appeared to be a gorgeous city by the sea. There were huge boats with massive sails, and dragon figureheads. He could smell fried food, some kind of fried chicken and chillies drifting from the nearby restaurant’s kitchen.

It was noisy. Chatter and shouts from the multiple diners and restaurants are constant background music. 

Connor knew it was familiar. Similar, but different. There was no way the games he played could render it with such detail, with such life. This is the Port City of Moonlake, home of the Perfect Moon Sect. 

It was bigger. There were more houses. The sprawl along the coast was extensive. 

He knew this was Moonlake Port City. 

But who was he?

Connor looked in the strange bronze mirror. 

It took a while for himself to register who he was, but when he did, he cursed. He had transformed into one of the minor villains-

“I’m Connor of House Greyfox?!” Connor of House Greyfox was a member of the Perfect Moon Sect. In Ninefalls, the tale of Connor Greyfox began with the villain stealing one of the main character’s treasured items. Connor Greyfox served one of the evil villainesses of the Perfect Moon Sect, a dark-hearted lady named Aster Darkmoon, who, eventually, after a long protracted power struggle that spanned multiple missions, died a horrific death in the hands of the main character. 

But what year was it- 

Connor walked out of his room, but he didn’t remember Connor Greyfox had an apartment. This part was never mentioned. 

As he walked downstairs, an old woman smiled at him. “Connor! My most successful tenant! I heard you’re getting promoted to Inner Disciple today!”

Wait. Connor Greyfox in the Perfect Moon’s villainess storyline was something like a senior inner disciple at the cusp of promotion to Core Disciple, while Aster Darkmoon was one of the Favored Master’s Disciples. 

Connor faked. As a streamer, he was quite good at coming up with impromptu responses.

“Yeah! You remember the date? I wanna just write it down somewhere so that I remember when did I get promoted.”

The old woman laughed. “I don’t remember either, but you can check the calendar.” The old woman pointed at a paper calendar where each page was a single day of the year. She tore off a page for each day. 

4th of First Month, Year 206. Five years before the main storyline.

Connor trembled- How bad has Connor Greyfox fucked up his life that he ended up in service of one of the most hated woman in all of the Perfect Moon Sect. 

He wasn’t sure, but at this point, he wondered about himself. If he’s promoted to an Inner Disciple, he should at least have his core at the 3rd realm, the Soul Core stage.

As he momentarily closed his eyes to scan himself, a convenient screen appeared before him. It had roughly the same interface as Ninefalls. 

[Connor Greyfox]

[Basic]

[Cultivation : 3rd Realm 2nd Stage - Soul core 2]

[Cultivation Method : Perfect Moon Water Sword Form - Lesser Mastery]

[Physique : None]

[Skill Groups : Perfect Moon Sword Form - Water Battle moves]

[Bloodlines, Special abilities, Unique Gifts and Systems]

[True Root of Water - Water Type Abilities enhanced. Multiplier effect with Wood Element moves, partners, and formations increased]

[Instant Travel (Divine Class) : Grants Instant movement between two cities you have visited before. Requires control or ownership of an apartment in both destinations. Applies to self and items only.]

[Instant Local Travel (Moonlake Port) : Grants Instant movement between up to six waypoints. Waypoint assigned so far : Home. Applies to self and items only.]

[Of Villains And Villainesses - (story) - Triggers story events]

[Companion System - Locked  - In development]

[Sect Building System - Locked - In development]

“Eh.” The three of the specials were new to him, but the fact that two of them were locked made him think of the earlier conversation with that strange person. Still, was this really real?

Connor opened his eyes and walked out into the streets of Moonlake Port City, he was instantly assaulted with the senses of a beautiful, thriving city. People running on the streets. Wagons. Foods. People talking. Some cursing. 

“Young man, don’t just stand on the road and don’t move. You’re blocking the way!”

Connor shifted to the side. He looked at his clothes. Civilian wear-

He didn’t change into his disciple attire. He ran back into his apartment and got himself changed. He wore the Perfect Moon’s Outer Disciple robes, and walked back down.

The old woman smiled. “Oh I thought you were going to get new robes in the sect.”

Connor paused, and realized the woman might be right. But for now, he decided to walk back to the sect.  He seemed to know exactly how to walk, the city familiar to him as his own muscle memory from his Ninefalls streaming days merged with the muscle memory of Connor Greyfox. 

The Perfect Moon Sect’s compound was located in a vast area along the slopes of the city. An entire district has been carved out to accommodate the Perfect Moon’s many buildings, and there were few buildings in Moonlake that were more beautiful or more grand than the Moon Viewing Platforms of the Perfect Moon Sect. 

These Platforms took many shapes, each built during a different era of Perfect Moon’s long,  illustrious history as the hegemon of the wider Moonlake regional area. 

There were no mortal guards at the entrance, instead, a Stone Statue in the shape of a Flying Crane stood watch. He could feel its ominous pressure, this Flying Crane Statue is an actual spiritual guardian able to unleash power at the 6th realm. Within a simple statue was the spirit of an ancient ancestor of the Perfect Moon Sect, who turned himself into a statue to protect the Sect for all of eternity. 

If someone were to attempt to steal from the Perfect Moon Sect, they would often have to dodge the Flying Crane Statue, or obtain certain heavenly items designed to hide themselves from it’s view. 

Connor walked through. There was no reason for the Flying Crane to notice him, and walked to the Inner Disciple Hall. 

There were many others there, about fifty of them were promoted to Inner Disciple. 3rd realm, and completion of a task. Connor Greyfox was no genius, but there were a few of those promoted today that would qualify. 

Some of these were friendly NPCs to the main characters, who occasionally tagged along for the much despised escort quests. Some, became optional bosses for side spars and all that sort of stuff. There were a few that could be recruited.

Connor recognised them, mainly from the unique decorative items on their body. Ninefalls itself didn’t have very high details on their facial features, and as NPCs, Connor hardly paid attention. 

Elder Yashi smiled at all of them. “Fifty three new Inner Disciples for the Perfect Moon. Come, collect your new robes and wear them with pride.” The other fellow Inner Disciples accepted their new robes from Elder Yashi, each of them coming one by one. Connor gulped and waited for his turn to arrive.

“Connor Greyfox. You’re one I didn’t expect to see promoted. Good to know you are more than just a skilled musclehead, and there’s some talent in you after all. Keep it up, young man.” Elder Yashi said with a smile.

Connor nodded. “Thank you, elder.” 

He accepted the robes, and immediately changed out of his old outer disciple robes. “As Inner Disciples, you will have to earn more merit points to maintain your position. 1,000 merit points, instead of just 100.”

Memories of Connor Greyfox’s life as an outer disciple flooded in. He was struggling most of the time, but a stroke of luck made him discover a strange energy pill that gave him a sudden surge in cultivation. It allowed him to break through to the third realm, and complete the missions and tasks needed to earn merit points for promotion. 

He wasn’t entirely talentless. Connor Greyfox was physically strong and skilled with his limbs. His muscles were slender, but dense, and he packed quite a punch. 

In short, Connor Greyfox was a ‘muscle’. But now, Connor the Streamer was in control and he wanted to do more than just be a muscle. 

As he wore the clothes, he thought about the faceless psychopomp’s words-

“Senior Brother Connor, glad to see you promoted too.” A boy younger than Connor by a year or two joined him. The fact that he referred to him as Senior Brother was merely to respect his age. Winston Skybreath was, in most terms, one of those geniuses, and one of the harder optional minibosses due to his wide range of skills. 

“Ah, a fluke of luck.” Connor answered modestly. “One like me cannot compare to a genius like yourself, Brother Winston.”

Winston seemed surprised by Connor’s response. “Oh. You were not a man known for flattery, Senior Brother Connor.”

Connor paused, and realized Connor Greyfox was a dull, serious man. He wondered whether Connor Greyfox offended people because of it. “-It’s only true. Brother Winston is a genius, after all.”

Winston actually blushed. “Coming from you- that is high praise.”

Connor just nodded. “I wish you well, Brother Winston. I must go catch up on my duties.”

“Oh, to that woman from the Darkmoon family?” 

Connor paused, and wondered what was Connor Greyfox’s own relationship with the villainess. He scrambled to remember, and could only see some hints. Then it hit him. Connor has received the magical pill that allowed him to break through to the 3rd realm from the villainess.

“Yes.” 

“Be careful of her. I hear she’s got many enemies.” Winston Skybreath said. “The Darkmoon family is powerful, but she’s not the favored daughter.”

Connor Greyfox would have shrugged it off. He wasn't a gossipy sort of person. But Connor Fox the Streamer? Gossip was wonderful! "Really? Brother Winston, would you please tell me more?"

Winston was clearly taken aback by Connor's response. "Oh. Sure?"

"I may not have much money, but I can buy you a drink." Connor offered. Connor Greyfox didn’t drink much, despite being a villain’s henchman, he was very much a focused, serious person who didn’t know how to socialize. 

The senior brother nodded, and they were both back on the streets of Moonlake City. They chose a quiet tavern, and ordered some simple beer.

“Honestly, I haven’t drank in a long time.” Connor said, trying to break the ice and also angle his pitch differently. Connor Greyfox’s path was a path of death. He didn’t want to do that, and just from what he had seen so far, this world could be very different from what he knew. “-but, let’s hope I’m not so easily drunk.”

Winston picked up the porcelain cup, and poured the rice wine for two. “Well, I didn’t expect the quiet, stoic Connor Greyfox to ask me out for a drink, so- here, a toast.”

“A toast. I hope to change, Brother Winston. I- I see a rather sad path for my future.” Connor answered. “So, tell me about the woman I’m contracted to. Who are her enemies, what’s happening in the Sect? I cannot be the old Connor Greyfox. I- I’ll die.”

“Did you have an epiphany of some kind, Brother Connor?” Winston said. He sipped the rice wine, and allowed it to linger in his mouth while he awaited Connor’s answer.

“Yes. You can call it an awakening. I- I saw an image of myself that I’m not sure I like.” 

Winston nodded. Such moments of enlightenment were not entirely rare. “It seems the fates and gods have some love for you, to grant you such enlightenment. Your demeanor’s sudden change seems to suggest it is a lot more profound than just an awakening. It’s almost as if you had experienced another life.”

Connor laughed, he was a little shook at how closely Winston hit the spot. “I suppose so.” He decided to redirect it with another toast of their porcelain cup of rice wine. The fact that he did so also revealed itself as a change.

The young genius merely smiled. “If the fates wanted things to be different, I suppose I should earn some good karma and assist them in their efforts. Your mistress, Lady Aster Darkmoon- she’s a bastard daughter.”

“What.” Connor had forgotten about this backstory. Or maybe he just skimmed through all the conversations that didn't really stick in his mind. But Winston’s words jolted those memories, and it flooded back to him. “-I see. So her position in her own family is shaky, and there are forces in her family that want her dead.”

“Yes. So your mistress has been trying rather hard to protect herself. It is perhaps the heaven’s grace that she is hugely talented, and now even has the protection of the Grand Elder Huyen. But the Darkmoon family is the Darkmoon family, and even though her father, the current Elder of the Darkmoon family is proud of her, her grandfather, the Patriarch, never forgave her father for his misdeeds and the current lady of the Darkmoon family despised her, and views her as a foul taint that ruins their Darkmoon family’s name. Any mistake on her part, will be seized on by the Darkmoon family to destroy her.”

Connor paused, as he digested this information. He wondered how Winston Skybreath knew all this stuff, surely there is a network of informants out there that explains this stuff, because it wasn’t in Ninefalls.

The transmigrated man downed his small porcelain cup of rice wine, and closed his eyes. Winston’s eyes continued to observe him, trying to understand how a man could transform so quickly. 

“Apologies, Brother Winston. I- I must think about this.” He tried to recall the entire chain of events. He was tasked to steal the main character’s Shimmering Jade Heart, an item that was commonly used as an ingredient to change and alter one’s body into an elevated form. Why would Aster Darkmoon require such an item? 

Winston nodded. “How close is your relationship with Lady Aster Darkmoon? If it means no offense, I would think it is a good idea to sever ties with her. She has enemies, and the Darkmoon family name only paints her as a target. Even Grand Elder Huyen’s protection could only do so much.”

Connor scoured through his predecessor’s memories, and remembered a faint moment where the Lady offered him the pill, in exchange for his service. She wanted him to do the things she could not do herself. That part was obvious. “I should speak to her, privately.”

“She has few allies. The Darkmoon family tries their best to get rid of those around her. They have not noticed you yet.” Winston said, and once again he wondered how did this young man know. 

“I see. Thank you, Brother WInston.” 

The bottle of rice wine had already been emptied. Connor wanted to offer to buy another, but Winston shook his head. “Next time, Connor. I have a session with Elder Ruharch soon.”

***

As Winston left Connor at the tavern alone, he called for another bottle of rice wine. He found it quite strange that the wine hardly affected him, and wondered whether it was due to their cultivation. 

He had money. Every disciple of the Sect was paid a small stipend, any more they would have to earn with merit, and merit could be exchanged for money quite well. 

As the thoughts swirled in his mind, he realized he needed to write them down. There are things that he knows, from the mission chains, that he hasn’t put together. 

“Waitress, can you bring paper?”

“We charge for paper, Lord Disciple.”

“Sure, sure. Just bring it.” 

Connor sat, and tried his best to recall what he experienced, and was incredibly amused at how good it was. Somehow, his mind recalled every single item that he was tasked to retrieve as the main character.

He wrote them down on a piece of paper. Six things were stolen, and the main character was hired to get them back, because the main character had a stake in getting his own items back. 

But the missions never elaborated what they were for, as it was from the angle of the main character. Aster Darkmoon’s motivations were only lightly explored. 

Yet, once he wrote it down, Connor Greyfox’s mind somehow could identify a pattern. 

The components she gathered seemed to suggest she wanted to create an extremely high-grade Soul Restoration Elixir, meant to rejuvenate the soul of someone in the 8th to 9th realm of power. 

Did she have a secret benefactor? A secret spiritual protector?

Someone so strong that even the Patriarch of the Darkmoon family, who was someone in the high 6th realm, would have to respect and backoff. After all, Grand Elder Huyen was in the lower sixth realm, and wasn’t at a level that could face off against the Darkmoon’s Patriarch. 

The current Sect Master of the Perfect Moon Sect was only in the 7th realm. Most Elders were normally in the 5th or 6th, and Aster herself was secretly in the 5th realm, during the time of Ninefall’s story. Five years. Working backwards, Aster was likely to be in the 4th realm right now. 

Wait- but who was she dealing with that could be in that realm of power?

Connor tried his best to remember, but there wasn’t. The main character killed Aster Darkmoon during a tense battle up in the nearby mountain of Dragon’s Crescent. But- based on what Winston told him, Aster Darkmoon was functionally on house arrest and doesn’t leave the compounds of the Perfect Moon Sect.

***

There were three big powerful families that supported the Perfect Moon Sect. The Darkmoon family, the Goldcircle family, and the Mistcloud family. Each of the three patriarchs were high sixth realms, and each had their own heirs in the Perfect Moon Sect as disciples. In the past, the Sect Leader of the Perfect Moon sect often came from one of these three families, though the other two families would often join forces to resist their dominance. 

Connor spent some money over the next few days making friends. It seemed none of them knew of his relationship with Aster Darkmoon, because the mere mention of the woman caused the other disciples to flinch. 

None of them wanted to offend the big three families. He needed to keep this part of their link silent. If it’s just a simple trade, most would not fault him.

After spending a full week getting used to his new body, briefly practicing his skills, and talking to his fellow disciples, Connor decided to approach the woman. 

He wanted to know the details. A conversation between two disciples likely would not attract much attention, and the Darkmoon family wasn’t going to go as far as kill anyone for even having a word spoken to her. 

***

Aster Darkmoon wasn’t hard to find. She rarely left her little part of the world, a small hidden corner with a view of the Moonlake.

Her corner was clearly well protected, she had her own little stone statue protector in the shape of an owl that glared at him as he approached. 4th realm.

Connor looked around, made sure no one was looking, and then knocked. 

“Miss Darkmoon. It’s me- Connor Greyfox. May I have a word?”

There was a moment where all he heard was some shuffling of furniture, and then, a muffled response. “Come in.”

Connor entered a room that was really stuffy, and there were protective charms on all the walls. She was clearly afraid. He looked around, unsure where to go.

“You can sit there.” His host pointed to a small cushion on the far side of the room. She clearly didn’t want him too near.

Aster Darkmoon wore a mask. A plain white mask that covered her entire face, with slits for her eyes, two small holes for her nose, and one more bigger slit for her mouth. She probably wasn’t wearing her mask when he came, because the string that went around her head wasn’t adjusted properly.

Connor sat at the designated place.

Then suddenly, everything froze. 

[Of Villains And Villainesses - (story) activated]

He saw an interface familiar from his game. Time paused. 

[You have encountered Aster Darkmoon, one of the villainesses of Ninefalls. She is destined to meet a horrific fate in the hands of the future main character, or at the hands of her cruel family. If you manage to save her and prevent her death, you will unlock the [Companion System]. In addition, you will receive a suitable cultivation reward. Additional rewards will be granted based on the nature of your relationship with Aster Darkmoon. Alternatively, you may allow her to die, but you will lose access to the [Companion System].]

Connor read the notification again and again. This world was a game, and yet, at the same time, not a game. As time remained frozen, he looked around the room. Aster was clearly paranoid to some extent. 

Would there be hints? 

[Do you choose to help her, or let her die?]

Connor chuckled, and thought of what he said to the faceless man. He had clearly set this up for himself when he spoke about how he wished the villainess’s stories could be changed, and whether the villainesses’ death could be prevented. 

“Well, I might as well go along with it.” He chose to help.

[Aster Darkmoon has few allies in the Perfect Moon Sect. Grand Elder Huyen thought it a waste to sacrifice her incredible cultivation talent, and so took her under his wing, and granted her his protection. But Grand Elder Huyen is aging, and his health wanes with time. Aster knows her time is running out, and she needs to find other allies.]

Time began to flow again, as Aster Darkmoon stared at him. Even through those slits on her mask, Connor could feel her judging gaze. “-why did you come?”

Connor nodded. “Thank you for the Soul Core Pill.” 

“Words do not matter. If you’re really thankful, go beat up my cousin, Johann Darkmoon.” Aster Darkmoon said frankly. 

The transmigrated man didn’t know how to reply to that. But he wasn’t going to let this phase him. He knew that Aster Darkmoon wouldn’t murder him. She’s too vulnerable, and the Darkmoon family would abuse his death to get rid of her. “What were you thinking when you gave me that pill?”

Aster paused, and then sighed. “You were so pathetic that I felt compelled to help you.”

Connor didn’t know why, but then, the scene suddenly replayed in his mind.

They were in one of the training halls, when Connor fell down bloody and beaten. He remembered being very miserable and being in pain, then Aster squatted down next to him. He didn’t know why Aster Darkmoon was there, and even spoke to him. “You look pathetic.”

Connor Greyfox, who was injured then, just responded bluntly. “What would an elite like you know about being pathetic?”

He remembered Aster glared at him, a little stunned. She fumed, but then, she barked. “Stop being so pathetic.” 

She placed a Soul Core Pill next to him. 

And walked away. 

Connor only vaguely remembered the scene before this, but yet, when the right words were said, the memory seemed to reappear vividly in his mind.

“I was so pathetic?” Connor said, but as he reviewed the scene again, he realized that Aster must have seen something that reminded her of herself. He realized that despite her harsh words, there must have been a soft heart somewhere down below.

She frowned. “You were. You still are.”

It was an act of kindness. Connor decided to kneel before her, kowtowing. “Thank you. I would not have been able to be promoted to Inner Disciple without your act of kindness.”

She didn’t reply, but Connor sensed she fumbled internally. The veneer of harshness emerged again. “Words mean little, Connor Greyfox. If you want to thank me, go beat up my cousin and tell him you don’t like him.”

Connor frowned. That was pretty much suicide. Attacking the formal heir of the Darkmoon family was as good as a declaration of war, and would get him killed. “That would be a foolish thing to do, Senior Sister Aster. Your family would make me talk about how you gave that instruction, and used it against you.”

Once again, the lady in front of her didn’t reply. If he remembered correctly, she was the same age as Connor, but that she was already a Core Disciple spoke of her genius, and Connor’s lack thereof. She may be a cultivation genius, but her political savvy was clearly lacking. Her moves were too easily read, and that she found it possible to protect herself so far was due to luck. 

Luck that would run out once the main characters came into the picture.

“Then you will not speak. I will cut off your tongue.”

“They will still know it came from you. They could tell the Qi that’s used to cut my tongue.” Connor answered frankly, and decided to angle it differently. “Senior Sister, you are a genius in the ways of cultivation, but your actions are too easily seen through. Your family will know it came from you, and will use it against you.”

He could feel her frown, even though she wore a mask. It was just a subtle change in the air. 

The two sat as a long awkward quietness descended on the room. Aster was clearly thinking. 

Eventually, she made a soft cough, and asked. “If you think you are so smart, what would you do?”

Connor felt the way she talked was just naturally abrasive. She must’ve not had a lot of people speak to her. “First of all, you shouldn’t speak to people in such a harsh tone. You need allies, and your manner of speaking isn’t going to win you friends.”

“What’s wrong with-”

“That. You’re defensive. You reject everyone else’s opinion, even though you’re not even sure you have a better opinion.” Connor roughly remembered the way she talked in Ninefalls. She was a haughty, proud woman and looked down on others. Whether it was due to circumstances, or due to her lack of socialization, he wasn’t sure. But if he was to save this woman from her future death, he had to rehabilitate her into someone that could gather allies.

Connor the Streamer would have to be her life coach. Aster Darkmoon stared at him, and frowned. “Why would I take opinions of those weaker than me-”

“Wrong.” Connor answered. “You need allies, and if you don’t have strength, you will have to make it up with numbers. The fact that you are where you are now, is because you’ve clearly messed up. You will have to change, Senior Sister.”

“And if I don’t?”

“You will die.” Connor answered firmly. “Either your family, or some powerful character that you’ve offended will find you, and hurt you.”

“Are you threatening me?”

Connor thought about it for a moment, and nodded. “Yes and no. Yes, because I am using future-you, to threaten you. No, because I really do want to help you, because you’ve helped me.”

Another long silence descended. 

It was so quiet Connor felt like he could hear the gears in her mind grinding to a halt. She must’ve not had much experience talking to people. He wondered how she even managed to grow up like this. She must’ve started cultivating really young.

Her home was messy. She wasn’t a neat person, and the scattered paper, food, and all the other mess in the place told him everything. There was waste in a corner that she didn’t remove for months. 

Not just that, Connor suddenly realized Aster Darkmoon had a foul smell, like she had not showered for months. it was just not identifiable because of the stuffy mix in the room, and the strange smell coming from all the unkept wastes in the room. 

“And a pathetic person like you, think you can help me?” Aster countered.

Connor felt his anger churn a little. She was really making it hard for him. Connor felt that if he allowed her to keep insulting him, they wouldn’t be able to work together. “Yes. Because in many ways, you are not better than me.” 

As he said that, he watched and noticed her fingers curling into a fist. She was mad. She wanted to punch him. “-you come to thank me, or insult me?”

“I don’t mean to insult you, Senior Sister. My intention to say thanks, and my intention to offer you my help is genuine. But in order for me to help you, you must be willing to listen, and we can only do so when you don’t keep insulting me and talking down to me in every other sentence.” Connor the Streamer said, even as Aster Darkmoon released a pressure of aura.

He wondered whether it was his heckling experience that granted him the ability to rebuke her this way. As a streamer, dealing with toxic people was just par for the course. 

He felt Aster’s piercing gaze. The subtle trembling of her arms. Her energies swirled in her heart like a turbulent ocean, and the stagnant air in the room swirled with it. 

She was a full realm above him.

But she wasn’t stupid. Uninformed, rude, and poorly socialized, but not stupid. 

She knew he had a point, and ultimately, she nodded. “Then, tell me how you would help me?”

Connor was pleased. “Can be improved, but that is much better.”

***

 

WIP/First Concept Draft. Certain abilities may be changed as it goes on. MC will be OP, eventually. Harem is likely, but I want it to be more Ave Xia Rem Y type of Harem. 

8