Chapter 2 – Suspicions
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite his shock, because he saw earlier that at least somebody like the old woman that seen him with frequency would not notice anything suspicious about him, he was with quite a bit of confidence in keeping his secrets as secrets, so he went to three officers as if nothing was wrong.

"Hello officers, this is my home, do you have any business with me?" He said in a calm tone to the officers.

"Good morning sir, are you Steve Holmes the graduate from Caterine university that works in the public library at the central borough?" Said the officer in the middle.

Hitomu noticed that the officer had epauletts with a single star and white stripe, based on the fragmented memories Hitomu got about this world, that means he is just a first rank soldier or a first rank police officer, while the other two that were to his right and left had epauletts with two stars and two red stripes that he don't remember about.

"Yes that would be me. don't stay here standing outside, come inside" Said Hitomu still with a calm tone.   

He proceeded to unlock the door with one hand and enter his house when inside he turned to the officers and signaled for then to enter and pointed at the living room to the sofa with four seats for then to sit to the left of the entrance door. 

While the officers were settling in, Hitomu went to the kitchen to the right of the door entrance and put the bag with the stuff from the bakery in the countertop, he went back and closed the door, in a calm demeanor he went to the living room and sat in a single seater facing the sofa.

With a warm light entering through the windows with open curtains behind Hitomu, he said to the officers.

"I'am quite surprised in regards to your visit, i didn't do anything wrong and i don't remember anything happening to somebody close to me." 

"Mr. Holmes, these are mr. James Britto and mr. Carlos Joseph, they are detectives responsible for special cases" Said the officer with one star and one stripe.

"Fortunately we are here to ask you a few questions about you teacher Wagner Grant from university and not about something you did, he was helping us analyze a special ancient artefact and also acting as a consultant in certain matters and deciphering old texts, books and parchments for us, but just a few days ago he mysteriously went missing and we would like if he contacted you, or if you saw him anywhere" Said the officer James.

"Unfortunately i haven't received any news from him for the last month nor i have seen him, but if he contacts me, i will warn you if possible, would you have any other matter to deal with me mr. Britto?" Hitomu responded relieved that this matter was only slight related to him, and not about himself.

Taking the opportunity that they were waiting, the officer Carlos spoke: 

"Actually, we have something directly related to this case that involves you mr. Holmes."

Hearing that almost made Hitomu faint, but he endured and continued to hear what they had to say. And the officer Carlos continued:

"Because our historian and history consultant that was mr. Grant went missing, now we have a vacant spot in our local department of special cases, so we would to invite you to work with us, and before you recuse let me say that you would be missing out if you don't accept because if you accept you would receive at the start a salary of 10 iron each week with a possibility of getting promoted and getting a raise along with it, also 2 days off each week of you choosing, in cases that we are in urgent need of your services you are required to attend the call, and obviously you can't divulgue confidential matters, but otherwise you would have a huge amount of freedom, and i believe the last benefit is the most tempting for a scholar like you, you will access to our library full off books that are very rare to come across or books with wonderful information that the public don't have access or books that open a brand new path in several areas of studies, however at the start you will only have access to introductory or basic level books and to access higher level books you would need to have a higher rank in our department or exchange 'contribution points' for access to said books. So what is your answer?"

The more Carlos talked, the more Hitomu felt his worry wash away, and when he finished hearing what Carlos had to say, he was very, very tempted to accept and was in fact planning to accept, because if he had access to more special or important information he would find info as to how, why he was here or even how to return, but to not appear too greedy he acted as if he was in deep though for a while and responded the waiting officers.

"I accept, but i have two conditions, the first, it is necessary that somebody informs the staff from the library that i will be quitting and accepting another job, so i would require that one of your personal did that for me, and second, i would like to start working Monday and have my days off on Saturday and Sunday, are you fine with these conditions?" 

Carlos looked at James for a moment and he received a nod in response, then he looked at Hitomu and said:

"Deal! You can start Monday at 08:30, the place you will be working is the gray building in the intersection of the BlackWood street and Chester street, building number 109 at the central borough, you will receive more informations when you arrive there. See you on Monday." Then Carlos and Hitomu proceeded to get up and shake hands followed by the other officers.

Hitomu followed then to the door, opened it for them and bade farewell to them as a law abiding citizen would do, after the officers left he locked the door and went to the kitchen and using the flour, sugar dust and milk he already had at home he made some porridge in the stove that uses gas from a gas canister, and put in a glass plate he took from a cabinet along a wood soon. He proceeded to eat the porridge along some bread that was still warm.

 Now with a full stomach and his head in a clear state, and the dishes cleaned and stored, he cleaned himself in the bathroom after the stairs opposite to the entrance door, when he finished he decided to go back to his bedroom and look for something to help with recovering this body memory or something that maybe can help he reawaken this body memories.

When he entered his bedroom he looked around and the bookshelf caught his attention, from the memories he got those should be books about local customs, some literatures and a few about history and old languages, so to see if he could awaken some memories to help him with his new job with the police he took a book called "music customs of Tathem" and started reading while laying in bed.

While he was reading the book, he noticed that instead of recovering more lost memories, he was getting a feeling that some changes were occurring within the starry void, so he went to see what was happening, he proceeded to recite "(O holy kingdom, open thy gates)" using TFL(The first language), he heard the whispers and the starry void was "normal", but to his surprise now there was a bookshelf with a golden plaque engraved with the word (Customs/Traditions) in TFL in front of the top shelf, said bookshelf was to his left with a single book titled "(song/music traditions/customs of Tathem)" in TFL.

When he willed to know what was in the book, what was written in the book appeared in his mind and his suspicions were affirmed, the contents of the book were what he read earlier but written entirely in TFL, so he was quite delighted and quickly went back to "outside" and finished reading the book, and again he felt the sensation that something was happening inside the starry void so he went back inside and willed do "see" the contents of the book in the bookshelf, and as he expected, the book was now finished, seeing this, he read another book titled "Culture behind the Tathem empire", and the same thing happened, and because of this new discovery Hitomu was quite happy so he repeated this process of reading books of the bookshelf of his bedroom and inspecting the "translated" books inside the starry void, after he finished this bookshelf he hastily went downstairs to read the books in the bookshelves of the living room.

When he got to the living room he noticed that the sun was setting and was almost night time through the window, and also saw in the wall clock that was 17:51, because he was so immersed in reading the books he did not notice the time fly by. Despite his house being quite old it still had electricity in the first floor so he turned the lights on. And instead of trying to read more books he made some more porridge and quickly ate it along some more bread, and after he finished eating he again cleaned the dishes and stored then in the cabinets on top of the kitchen counter, and went to brush his teeth in the bathroom. After he finished his business he went to his bedroom, closed the door and started to inspect the starry void.

Inside the starry void now there was a few rows of bookshelves floating as if it was in a invisible floor, when Hitomu saw this scene he missed the wonderful books about every topic available in the modern thimes and the stories he spent years reading that he remembers every single word of both, at least the ones he read, so he was engulfed with a strong desire to read those books again igniting his spirit with purpose, the will to return home, and this was manifested in this strange realm, but unfortunately only the part about the books was manifested.

The inexistent floor that held the bookshelves and Hitomu in close proximity to the bookshelves started to emit translucent ripples, and from these ripples bookshelves similar to the ones manifested by this space before started to emerge upwards, when the dozens of bookshelves with hundreds of books finished manifesting Hitomu was perplexed but he immediately tried to "see" the contents of one of the books in these new bookshelves and to his surprise, these books were the same books he had read on earth, varying from scientific documents, articles, concepts of physics, mathematics, earth languages, history, to fictional stories. 

When he saw that they were his beloved books he wasn't surprised that this mysterious realm did not take him home directly because of his previous experiment of chanting that divine tittle, but despite feeling slightly down he noticed a pattern happening with this place.

"Wait a minute, i think i have seen something similar happening many times before. Isn't this just like lucid dreams i had on earth?" Hitomu looked around a bit and found the floating bookshelves in the void out of place so he tried to create a room to house said bookshelves, and to his delight he was successful in creating a spacious room in a old fashioned styled room.

 With this new discovery he proceeded to create more old fashioned furniture, and most importantly more rooms and stairs in the same style, each room made with attention for the details, when he was finally was satisfied he used his "power" to see the all the rooms he realized that he now had a full mansion with all essential accommodations such as kitchen, multiple bedrooms, living rooms, offices, the library with all his books and a dining room with large windows to outside of the mansion being the last he made and the one he was standing inside, and despite each room being spacious, the process of creating this mansion did not alter the stars floating all around him, so the mansion was full of floating colorful stars. 

Now that he had a beautiful and luxurious space to himself but still with the view of the starry void outside the windows, he felt really satisfied with himself and felt less lonely in this space. 

Despite this fantasy like scenario he was aware that the real world was still "running" without him interfering, so he went to the real world, took his pocket watch to look at the time because he spent some time inside the starry void working with the mansion. When he saw the time he was quite shocked because was already 23:55, so he put the rest of money he had on him in the compartment in the closet, put the pocket watch in a drawer in the desk at the corner close to the window, and changed clothes to a more comfortable one, but before he went to sleep he wanted to try something else in the starry void tonight before he started working tomorrow.

In the starry void mansion, inside the spacious dinning room that had a long table with 18 chairs, one at the start and one at the end, and 8 on each side, Hitomu tried to touch one of the stars that were close to him, it was a small reddish brown star. 

Before he could walk closer and extend his hand to touch said star, he felt his soul extend itself forming a translucent line that when it touched the star, he felt a invisible connection form between himself and the star, simultaneously he felt as if a type of energy was being sucked out of him but he could see where it was going, it was going towards the star, despite the fact that these events had occurred in the fraction of a second the moment he saw that the star was shining more and more and starting to turn in the shape of a person his first instinct was to hide, so as a response to that, he became totally invisible by accident..

A few seconds before: Inside a room inside a government building, there was a man that was dressed like a scientist that was surrounded by documents and books studying a few documents about a police case late in the night and was almost falling asleep, as to not fall asleep he was drinking coffee to keep himself awake, when he was reaching for the coffee cup he suddenly had a strange void take over his vision in the fraction of a second that he couldn't dodge or avoid.

Suddenly the man found himself standing near a long wooden dining table with candlesticks across the top of said table that was in a very spacious dining room that were quite luxurious for the time, but he have no recollection of ever visiting or seeing anywhere, and when he realized that he suddenly was no longer in his work room, he was startled and said out of reflex:

"Hello?!...Anyone?"

2